#1 Edited by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

Okay, so with all this talk about Monster Hunter roaming around. I got this urge to play a lootwhore game of some kind. That means, kill thing to get loot so I can kill thing to get loot so I can....

Now that shouldn't be too hard to find right? The thing is, I don't want to deal with MMOs or Diablo and their retarded drop rates. I don't want to play the same area a million times to get a random thing with different numbers on it. I want clearcut goals, with ways to achieve them that isn't based purely on chance. "Goldfarming for Auction House isn't that appealing either".

For example, having the gear be pretty limited in the amount that's in the game total, but make them all look and feel unique. Then make me play the same area 900 times to get the materials to build it. This kind of grind is way more appealing to me, since I find drop rates frustrating and anti-fun.

So guys, do you have any good games off the top of your heads? I mean Monster Hunter is the obvious one, but I can't afford a Wii U at the moment. And playing the older games single player is far from optimal, even though that might be where I end up.... Platforms of choice are, PC, 360, PS3, PS2. And I'm not scared of emulating if that's what it comes down to.

#2 Edited by Ares42 (2570 posts) -

Although they aren't your standard lootwhore games, the Souls games definitely has an enjoyable loot and upgrade system. There's also Borderlands, but I would assume somewhat of an obvious (and declined) answer.

As for a more crafting based game I'm right there with you. Wish they weren't as rare as they are. I could possibly recommend Resonance of Fate, but it's quite an off-kilter recommendation. It is pretty great for it's loot customization though, and has a crafting system akin to what you're talking about.

#3 Edited by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

@ares42:I already played the everliving shit out of the Souls games already. But I didn't even consider that they fit into this criteria! That might be a hidden reason to why I like them so much. Cool point. Thanks.

Yeah Borderlands is a big fat no. Extra no because I generally don't like shooter gameplay.

Hmmm, Jrpgs might be a good idea. I never gave Resonance of Fate much of a shot, that might have to change soon. And I did like the convoluted upgrade systems in FF 13, getting. RoF is top of the list right now then.

Anyone think of any other RPGs with good end game for equipment, materia equivalents, boss fights etc.? 100%ing FF7 or 13 might be fun, I never did do that completely.

#4 Edited by StarvingGamer (7985 posts) -
@tobbrobb said:

I don't want to play the same area a million times to get a random thing with different numbers on it. I want clearcut goals, with ways to achieve them that isn't based purely on chance...

...Then make me play the same area 900 times to get the materials to build it. This kind of grind is way more appealing to me.

:D

I'm not sure where you'd fall on FFXIII then, because it is all about grinding the same area a million times to get a random material that is based purely on chance. Actually if you think of Gold as the material you need in Diablo then D3 gives you a clearcut goal of "earn X gold to get thing" whereas FFXIII is "kill this thing, reload, kill it again, maybe eventually you'll get what you want if you're lucky, maybe".

Honestly you should just play Monster Hunter.

#5 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -
#6 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -
#7 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -
#8 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1836 posts) -

By dismissing MMOs and Diablo-esque games, two genres entirely centered around the idea that you want to play, you haven't really given us room to work with.

Um, Vindictus? I dunno.

#9 Edited by pweidman (2297 posts) -

Hey just so you know TC, D3 is a lot better game now than it was, and there are now crafting recipes with partailly guaranteed stats if you have the ingredients(easy to get actually). Drop rates are far better than when it launched and an item update is in the works as well. I stopped playing the game a few months after it launched out of frustration, but I'm having a blast again lately. Maybe Torchlight 2? Or PoE? Both very good, and inexpensive.

#10 Edited by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

@artemesia: It's exactly because there isn't much room to work with that I made the thread! Generally I already know about stuff I wanna play. But I couldn't find anything under these really restrictive parameters. Figured I'd just throw it out there and see if anyone had a hidden gem or clever "kind of" ideas that would be close enough. A shot in the dark one might say.

@pweidman: I played D3 for a few hours just a few days ago. Though I agree that it's way better now. It's still not hitting the spot. I disregard both TL2 and PoE for wildly different reasons, that I'd rather not go into. They look pretty goddamn good for the people who play them though, so I see where the recommendations are coming from.

Also yeah thanks all. It looks like I'm just hungry for monster hunter, but happened to be perfectly out of reach platformwise. Oh well. I might go and see if playing Tri on the Wii until the servers go down is enough.

#11 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1836 posts) -

It is worth noting that the wiki page for Vindictus is quite outdated, but I think it may be along the lines of what you are looking for.

#12 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Good game for getting loot. It reminded me of a MMO in that regard without the combat, which I assume if your issue with them.

#13 Edited by believer258 (11621 posts) -

I've only played a few hours of Kingdoms of Amalur but it seems like it would fit your criteria all right.

To get this straight, you're looking for a grindy loot game where the drops are dependable - i.e. you kill a wolf, you get a wolf pelt, no exceptions - instead of random, like "you have a 50% chance of getting a wolf pelt".

For example, having the gear be pretty limited in the amount that's in the game total, but make them all look and feel unique. Then make me play the same area 900 times to get the materials to build it. This kind of grind is way more appealing to me, since I find drop rates frustrating and anti-fun.

Etrian Odyssey IV seems like something you could try. It's grindy as hell and the drops seem to be dependable, but getting gear depends on bringing the right materials back to the item shop, which isn't hard. I've played about fifteen hours of it and you only need one or two something, not thirty or forty, and if one of those things is a bear claw, then you go kill a fucking bear and you've got a claw.

At least that's how it seems from what I've played.

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11461 posts) -

I'd say the entirety of the Might and Magic series fits your bill. Loot is randomized, occasionally endowed with prefixes and suffixes, but the gameplay is not in and of itself dependent on that loot grind the same way that Diablo or MMOs are. Also, I think Might and Magic is dope.