Console buying decisions

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ashogo

I'm trying to decide on my summer console purchase, between ps3 and 360, and I need some help.

I've been weighing my options--both consoles cost the same amount at this point, so what it really comes down to is console exclusives. The ones that I'm aware of and that interest me are:
PS3
Uncharted 2
Yakuza 3
Heavy Rain
Mass Effect 2
Alan Wake
Shadow Complex
These all seem like strong offerings, so I'm split here. Are there any other big exclusives that make a console a must-own? (I have zero interest in halo.) Are any of the multiplat games noticeably better on one console over the other? I'm pretty open to all game genres, though I tend to stay away from most FPSes. I tend to like games with heavy immersion and lots of character interaction.  

One other important factor is the built-in bluray on the ps3, and since I'm a mild movie buff this could be a tipping point for me. However, I know that by now there are better and cheaper bluray players out there. Does the ps3 bluray player hold it's own, are there any major drawbacks compared to a standalone? Lastly, are there any other big features that make a console standout? I know about natal and the motion controllers, which I honestly couldn't care less about at this point.

I don't mean to turn this into a console war or anything, as both systems seem very good--I just have to make sure I know what I'm getting before I drop 300 bones. Thanks in advance for any advice!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

It's a real toss up these days in my opinion.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@ashogo:  I'm no fanboy or anything, im the most neutral motherfucker on the planet and i embrace all systems that give me video game pleasure. But here are my two cents :  

I've always felt that the PS3 exclusives simply PWN the 360 exclusives... 360 games are all about mad explosive fun and shooting and more shooting, while the PS3 titles (God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Uncharted 2, etc..) are all special. Each one has its own sexy vibe about it that IMO promises a cooler gaming experience than just shoot and shit. 

The Playstation Network is for free, while the X360 is not. 
The PS3 is a better piece of hardware since its manufactured by an electronics giant, unlike the X360 which dies alot 

Overall, I've always felt the PS3 is the cooler investment, and that the X360 can be replaced with a mediocre PC than can run games on medium settings.  (Both are MS so they share most of their exclusives)

P.S. im not HATING, im stating my opinion. 
tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By tactis

yeah I think it comes down to the games, personally I like Halo, Gears, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Crackdown, Fable over God of War, Metal Gear, Heavy Rain, Killzone, and Resistance. Which is why I have a 360, so it depends on what you like.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By themartyr

Bigger  online community on Xbox. The price makes people use it more, I have found.

Heavy Rain is pretty short...

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Catolf

Just pick with which has more of the types of games you like..

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

Get what your friends have so you all can play together. If you don' have friends I suggest the 360 due to the superior online infrastructure. If you have waited this long though, wait until after E3.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kiro

You can't really go wrong with either. Both have great games. I'd advice you to pick the one you have the most friends to play with.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ashogo
@Ahmad_Metallic: Yeah, I too am leaning towards the ps3 exclusives right now. It's so painful for me to decide between one or the other though, the 360 has a few killer looking exclusives as well. I hate making choices like this.

@ChristOnIce: Thanks for the breakdown. If what you're saying about ps3 under-performance is true though, that's worrying. Fallout 3 and Bayonetta are 2 games that really interest me. I'll have to look into this more. 

@EpicSteve said:
"If you have waited this long though, wait until after E3. "
You think there might be another price cut? Or just for game announcements? That does sound like a good time to buy, but I kind of want to jump in now so I can enjoy as much as possible before college starts again.
jrbl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By jrbl1

If you don't have a PS3 or an XBOX360 yet you probably aren't a very serious gamer.  In that case you might want to go PS3 for the Blu-ray.  

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By zombie2011

First off, the only reason my name is green is because it shows up better against GB's black background than the neutral grey. 

That being said i'd go with the 360, Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2 are the 2 best games i've played this year, Mass Effect 2 is the best game i've played ever. Shadow Complex is easily the best XBLA game out there. 

Uncharted 2 was awesome. Heavy Rain i really didn't like, not into the QTE gameplay, also the setting is so fucking depressing. Yakuza 3 i couldn't care less about.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ashogo
@jrbl1 said:
" If you don't have a PS3 or an XBOX360 yet you probably aren't a very serious gamer. "
Not really. Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "serious", but I do play quite a bit when I have time. I just haven't had the money to buy an expensive-ass system lately, plus game prices have gone up this generation as well...

Anyways, thanks for all the responses. I'm still deliberating, but I'm leaning towards the ps3, as that bluray player is really tempting me...
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

It seems like you're primarily interested in "action movie!" games, so you can't really go wrong.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nanikore

If I were you, I would get the PS3. It's generally better built, is technically more advanced and takes up less space. It's very quiet, unlike the Xbox. Almost all its features are very accessible and hooking up to a media server is incredibly easy. The XMB is, in my opinion, more lightweight and easier to navigate than the NXE. Also, of course, it has a Bluray player. On the games side of the PS3, it has lots of great exclusives. 

That's not to say the 360 isn't a good choice. The Xbox has more features in its online and a few more games and certainly also lots of great exclusives, but right now, I think the PS3 is the better choice.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By christ0phe
@jrbl1:   This is a poor argument.  Maybe he has financial concerns or other issues that have prevented him from upgrading.
jrbl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jrbl1
@ashogo:   Fair enough.  I am only right maybe 10 percent of the time ;).  Anyway.  I personally prefer my XBOX360.  But it seems to me all signs point to getting a PS3 as it is a little more wallet friendly with not having to pay for online and still having most the features.  You really can't lose either way.  Time to start sifting through the exclusive titles to see which ones you want the most.  Both systems rock. 
jrbl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jrbl1
@christ0phe:   Yep, like a jerk I didn't think of that.  Thanks for calling me out. 
RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By RedneckedCrake
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @ashogo:  I'm no fanboy or anything, im the most neutral motherfucker on the planet and i embrace all systems that give me video game pleasure. But here are my two cents :   I've always felt that the PS3 exclusives simply PWN the 360 exclusives... 360 games are all about mad explosive fun and shooting and more shooting, while the PS3 titles (God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Uncharted 2, etc..) are all special. Each one has its own sexy vibe about it that IMO promises a cooler gaming experience than just shoot and shit.  The Playstation Network is for free, while the X360 is not. The PS3 is a better piece of hardware since its manufactured by an electronics giant, unlike the X360 which dies alot   Overall, I've always felt the PS3 is the cooler investment, and that the X360 can be replaced with a mediocre PC than can run games on medium settings.  (Both are MS so they share most of their exclusives) P.S. im not HATING, im stating my opinion.  "
I agree with what Ahmad says here. 

The PS3 for me destroys the 360. Strangely though, I play my 360 more than my PS3. I have no fucking idea why. Probably because I don't have God of War III yet.
jrbl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jrbl1
@RedneckedCrake:   Wow, your statement and Ahmad statement are the definition of Fanboy statements. 
fatalframer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fatalframer39

For PS3 you totally forgot LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers and The Last Guardian. =D

I'm not a fanboy, but no one can deny that more of PS3's exclusives are much more successfully innovative than those of the 360's. 

But as mentioned before, go for the console with the games that interest you more. Who cares how many of your friends have a (for example) PS3, if the games you want are on the 360 - buy the 360. Don't get a PS3 because thats your friends have, if you prefer the games on 360, get a 360 - and vice versa. There are tons of people to play games with online with either console, you'll make friends. =]

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Simple. 

PS3 first, 360 later.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By RedneckedCrake
@jrbl1: Whoa bro, whoa! First of all, there's no way I'm a fanboy. I own an Xbox, PS2, Gamecube from last generation. Love all three of them. I own a PS3, 360, and Wii from this gen and I still love all three of them. (Wii isn't my cup of tea, can never really get good at it) 

I STILL think, despite playing so much of the other systems, that the PS3 outperforms all the others. I don't even like it as much as my 360, but it's a better piece of machinery and the exclusives are better pound for pound. Doesn't mean I'm a fanboy.