Console devs, let us change the FoV in FPS games!

Venekor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's the one thing I want so I can play FPS games on consoles, it's why I constantly stay away and will continue to do so until it is fixed. Sitting there watching Halo 5 last night, all I noticed was how narrow the FoV is and how giant the gun is taking up half the screen.... I just cannot stand to play like that. It doesn't look natural to how your eyes see things in real life and tbh at this rate I'll have to wait for VR to bloody fix the issue on consoles. You never have any spatial awareness as a result and even watching experienced players, they're constantly surprised by things sneaking up on them. This just doesn't happen in real life or on the PC where you have that peripheral vision...

Please developers, I'm sick of constantly looking through toilet tubes in FPS games, makes me feel sick.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The issue here is that console FPS games generally have a lower FoV by design because they're intended to be played on a TV that's several feet in front of you as well as to maximize performance within the console's hardware limitations.

If you're playing on a PC monitor or a VR headset, then you do need the higher FoV to make first person feel natural, and on the performance side of things, you can allow users the option of expanding the field of view and just let them worry about whether or not their machine has specs that can handle it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Narrow FOV means less things rendered on screen, which means better performance. I imagine the same goes for the pistols that take up a quarter of your screen, too.

Also, console gamers tend to sit further away from their screens - they tend to see the whole screen as their focal point while PC gamers who need a wider FOV see the center of their screen as their focal point.

I can play console FPS games just fine, if I'm seated about six feet away. But the narrow FOV drives me nuts - Its like blinders on a horse, all my peripheral vision is gone, and I use that a lot.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That one F2P TPS on PS4/PC with the groovy graphics and fast gameplay I forget the name of lets you change FOV and even deadzone. I hope larger developers of FPS take that stuff in mind, with all the work MS put into getting that "elite" controller made reality and everything it should be the next natural step, realizing that people want these things.

Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: i don't play shooters often and so i never got this whole FOV thing being such a big deal. Then I tried to play Borderlands 2 on the PS3 because it was free on PS+. Holy crap the game is unplayable. I'm sitting on a couch, like 8-10 feet away from a 50" screen, but everything on screen is so big and blown up it hurts my eyes and makes me feel nauseous. I play a ton of games and have never gotten motion sickness or whatever from a game until I played Borderlands 2 on PS3. Absolutely terrible.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That won't happen. FOV restriction on console games factors into performance as much as design choice. The higher the FOV the more assets you need to render at once, in a world where hardware performance has a limit you can't afford to introduce that kind of a variable. Sure would be nice if they designed games around a 75-80 minimum though rather than the 45-55 most games get, I find it disorienting as hell.