#1  Edited By spacetrucking
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By spacetrucking

Console exclusivity has been a big part of the industry for the longest time now. But does this trend of tying down a developer to a single platform actually help the industry grow by creating a competitive environment ? Or does it hurt the industry by dividing the fan-base and hurting sales in the process (which ultimately affect the developers) ? Not to mention the disgusting fanboy subculture it spawns. The fact that it has existed for so many years means the industry itself sees exclusivity as a necessary evil but what do you guys think about it ? If you support console exclusives, what is your justification for denying others the fun of playing Halo, God of War or Mario Galaxy ?

My own answer to the question is that it does nothing for the players. If there was only one platform in existence, game developers would still be competing against each other to make the best possible game for that single platform. If anything, mediocre clones like Dante's Inferno or Killzone 1 would never exist if that were the case. I also wonder how this will all change once a service like OnLive really takes off. Maybe it won't happen immediately but that's where this is all going and ultimately, console manufacturers will feel the biggest impact of this.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Against. Share the love!

Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Izaak

Consoles need exclusives to be able to compete in the market, Would you want every console to be identical? there'd be no differential between them. Exclusives tend to highlight the benefits of their console, giving the customer more incentive to purchase it. 

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By shadows_kill

For. why? well cause lets say EVERY game was on EVERY console.. so what are you going to do when you are looking at a console? you only look at 1 thing really which friends have which system? you wont have to think which has better ___ and ___ cause both have them! so then everyone would jump to 1 system and any others would likely fail in sales.  So consoles do need exclusives to really survive.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

Console exclusives are one of the key aspects of competition in the games industry, and it's competition that forces the companies to always try their best to come up with new innovative ideas and secure exclusive game rights. Take away that competitive aspect, and suddenly you get a one-console standard and everything gets lazy. Plus, different consoles try to suit the needs of different markets, which is a good thing. A console maker that tries to please everyone is going to fall flat on its face. Console exclusive form a significant part of a console's identity; take that away and what have you got left?

Like it or loathe it, console exclusives are not only necessary, they're a good thing for the industry.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee
@shadows_kill said:
"For. why? well cause lets say EVERY game was on EVERY console.. so what are you going to do when you are looking at a console? you only look at 1 thing really which friends have which system? you wont have to think which has better ___ and ___ cause both have them! so then everyone would jump to 1 system and any others would likely fail in sales.  So consoles do need exclusives to really survive. "

Indeedly.
nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nethanel

For, what evidence of superiority would fanboys be able to show without exclusives?

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By angelkanarias

Without exclusives there wouldn't be competition. And competition is good for the consumer.

g00ber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By g00ber
@angelkanarias: Correct.  Competition is absolutely necessary.  Business 101.
Elfnt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Elfnt6

Not only is competition necessary but more often than not, when a game goes cross-platform for the first time, the ported system will get screwed over. As time goes on, a lot of gamers have more than one system anyway, so why waste production time and half-ass an Xbox version when you could just put all your resources into a great PS3 version? *cough*FF13*cough*

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust
@Jiujitsuka said:
" Against. Share the love! "
If we're talking 3rd party exclusives, I am against it.  If we're including 1st party exclusives, then I doubt there is a way around it short of the One Console idea which I am against.  While I do believe that there needs to be competition between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo for the console to keep innovating, I don't think that 3rd party developers need to create games for just one platform and those that do are doing themselves a disservice in the long run. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

I dislike the fact that I won't be playing God of War III.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By zyn

For!  (see BAYONETTA on PS3 vs. Xbox 360)

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeShawn2ks

I love console exclusives, it makes deciding should I get it for the 360 or PS3 a lot easier.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spacetrucking
@Atlas: @g00ber:  @angelkanarias:  Developers compete against each other, regardless of platforms. MW2 and BC2 are not exclusives yet they compete for the same market. How does console exclusivity affect them ? Bungie and Guerrilla would be competitors in the FPS market, even if Halo and Killzone weren't exclusives. Most software development houses provide solutions and services on various platforms and it is still a very competitive market. Gaming is the one of the few subsections of software development that choose platform exclusivity.

@Izaak: Here is a thought: If games could be played across all platforms, wouldn't it create a push for better hardware standards ? And then your buying decision would be based on the quality of the build and the price, like most other consumer electronics.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust
@Jiujitsuka said:
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skytylz

They are pretty much a must. 

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eidderf

I'd love for all games to be available on one platform though I understand why that can't really happen unfortunately.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't really care, either way, but console and PC development and game styles are somewhat different, and the results are sometimes weird when one is ported to the other. Also makes it more desirable to own them all. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

There shouldn't need to be three consoles. An ideal gamer's world is one console that all games come out on. Exclusives are just dumb and it just makes the fanboys brag, that's it. But of course we know that will never happen.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ

For.  Console exclusives promotes competition; competition makes for better games.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By sopranosfan

I own all 3 systems and that wouldn't have happened without exclusives.   So I am for exclusives but I am glad to see them be fewer than in the past.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By spaceturtle

Console exclusives always turn out to be the best games I think. I suppose its the devs are directing all their focus on on platform and therefor can complete so much more with only focusing on one. Examples, the MGS series, Killzone 1 & 2, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, GoW series and a couple more I dont remember right away. I know there are some good Xbox exclusive titles out there too. I just think the PS3-only devs make far more awesome games than the Xbox ones. This might be coincidense...

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck

I'm all for it. Granted, it sucks that I can't play such games as Uncharted 2 and the likes because I don't have a PS3 (yet) but without any competition in the market, it won't go anywhere.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Hamst3r

Against.

The hardware should stand on its own merit. Aside from exclusives, if there's no reason to buy one over another, there's a problem.
shadowblazer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shadowblazer19
@Jeust said:
" @Jiujitsuka said:
"
Cool story, bro.

We need the exclusives or else we will all be playing 1 console with the monopoly and then everything is boring as fuck.
sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sexy_nipples

We barely get 3rd party exclusives anymore. The only exclusives we get are 1st party nowadays.  

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aetos

For. Competition brings better games. Also if there weren't exclusives eventually there would only be one console which would cause a monopoly. Having a monopoly would allow that company to set prices at what ever they want cause there is no longer any competition. In the end it just hurts the consumer.

g00ber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By g00ber
@Killjoi: Console exclusives affect platform sales. That's the hope at least.  Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc., are hoping that consumers will buy their console because game X,Y, or Z is only available for their particular platform. Exclusivity also usually makes for better games (note I said usually).  The videogame industry actually has some latitude for innovation and differentiation, unlike most other areas of consumer electronics.  Whether you get a Sony or Samsung LCD, you're generally getting the same product.  I like the fact that if Microsoft puts out something unique that Sony can't offer, Sony's gonna hit the drawing board and hopefully emerge with an even better game or product.  That's just me.
Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alphiehyr

For. It speeds up the development process.