• 76 results
#1 Posted by mikey87144 (1808 posts) -

#2 Posted by mikey87144 (1808 posts) -

Anybody going the gaming rig route because of this really long console generation? I'm starting to think that initial sales of the new hardware will be weak because a lot of the hardcore audience will have bought a gaming PC.

#3 Posted by MiasmaFett (129 posts) -

I Built myself one in september and dont think i will ever look back i stil occasionally play my 360 and ps3 but only for the console exclusives!

#4 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Don't plan on it....I just play older PC games that don't have high system requirements.

#5 Posted by el_tajij (722 posts) -

Sure am. Diablo 3! :D

#6 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2738 posts) -

Probably not. I'm happy with the consoles.

#7 Posted by bybeach (5053 posts) -

I utilize all three, but it is getting way more difficult to play a game on console if it is offered on pc. Borderlands was an exception because it was initially a lousy port. What irritates me is that of the consoles I like my PS3 more, yet developers still don't get consistently good results for it, so another reason to get Skyrim on PC, which is what I did.

It helps that controller input is so widely offered for pc now, K+ M has it's singular games, but so does controller input.

#8 Posted by zombie2011 (5094 posts) -

No i'll stick with consoles.

#9 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

None of the above. I'd like to get one but don't have the munneh.

#10 Posted by freakin9 (1173 posts) -

I've already moved on this year. Though to be honest, it's more that I don't really care about the console games coming out anymore. Really, Witcher 2 is the only glaringly obvious next gen game. There still needs to be a step or two more before a real next generation leap is really worth doing.

#11 Posted by Tesla (1957 posts) -

I am, just because I finally have the time and means to do so. The only thing that sucks is I need to start from scratch, monitor included. Plus I haven't messed with SSD's or liquid cooling yet, both of which I'm looking into. These things have delayed my PC building plans.

None of my reasoning has to do with current consoles, I like PC and console gaming.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (22658 posts) -

Probably not. I'm far too poor.

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

On the flip side, I'm primarily a PC gamer and I probably won't be getting a next-gen console. Most of my friends are solely PC gamers and there are no console exclusives I feel like I need to play.

#14 Posted by James_ex_machina (899 posts) -

Although I miss 1st person shooters on a PC and Starcraft I don't see me getting a gaming rig again. The console gaming is less to deal with and cheaper overall for me.

#15 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

This is a weird question for me, because I have a PS3 and 360 and enjoy playing games on both, but I primarily play games on the PC I built three years ago. It was a ~$700 system when I built it, and after a recent video card upgrade (there was a sale that I couldn't resist), it can still run any game I throw at it pretty damn well. I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon because I don't see any games coming out in the near future that will warrant a new machine. And I will need a new machine, since my motherboard is out of date; I built that PC when Intel's iX line of chips was just on the horizon. I was thinking that Battlefield 3 might be that game to force me to upgrade, but to my surprise, BF3 runs silky smooth with nearly everything turned up.

So I'm waiting for PC gaming's next Crysis, that game that destroys all high-end configurations, before I consider building a new machine.

#16 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

No, there are just too many keys for me to keep track of while playing a game. And no analogue movement. 

Though I do get low-end PC exclusives like To the Moon on my laptop.

#17 Posted by DXmagma (309 posts) -

Nope, always liked console exclusives more then the big ones on PC and the differences are pretty negligible to me. Plus I can run most of the indie stuff as is. Except Super Meat Boy, surprisingly intensive.

#18 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

i built one a year ago and i'm glad i did. i still play my consoles regularly, but my PC opens up a whole new realm of games that i never got the chance to play before.

#19 Posted by Little_Socrates (5731 posts) -

Just got myself a gaming PC earlier this year, although my older PC is apparently a champion as well. Who knew that a pretty inexpensive PC a few years back would still be capable of handily running The Witcher 2 on high without any frame drops?

I finally crossed over into PC games because Steam so handily enticed me. The only issue I hold with the service is that I don't like some of the games I've got for it and, obviously, there's no second-hand market for used Steam games. The closest it gets is trading games with other users online, which is actually not a bad solution, but it is more difficult than simply returning a poor game after you pick it up.

Speaking of which, is it against TOS to request game trades on Giant Bomb? Do we have a big-old Game Trades thread somewhere? I don't have anything I'm trying to trade in particular right now, but I am kinda curious.

#20 Posted by jacksmedulla (284 posts) -

I just purchased the parts for a new computer yesterday. i-5 2500k, Evega GTX 570, Gigabyte GA z68x motherboard, and 8gb of ram.

#21 Posted by Buckwatters (141 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

Anybody going the gaming rig route because of this really long console generation? I'm starting to think that initial sales of the new hardware will be weak because a lot of the hardcore audience will have bought a gaming PC.

I'm not exactly sure that console sales will be weak, due to most people who buy and play games don't buy high-end PC's, therefore console sales will most likely be as high as they have been in the past. That being said, I am becoming more of a PC gamer because of the fact that games look and run better on the PC platform.

#22 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I have been trying to save some money but getting my parents to do my monthly deposits in my ING account has not happened for like a year an a half. I was trying to put 50$ a month, of my money, that i have, Into my ING savings account. I make about 300$ a month, and so far over a year and a half i have saved up 200$. so I think im giving up on my "short term" dream of buying a 800$ pc and im just going to buy a 300$-400$ net book.

#23 Posted by Vexxan (4619 posts) -

When Guild Wars 2 is out, I'll go get one. Unless my current PC breaks down before that...

#24 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

The laptop I have for school can run games pretty well, so I don't have any plans to get a legit gaming PC.

#25 Posted by OtakuGamer (1317 posts) -

It's not a priority but yes.

#26 Posted by TobbRobb (4877 posts) -

I'm really curious, why are there no "show results"option? I already have a gaming comp and don't want to skew the results.

#27 Posted by Simulacrum (458 posts) -

If I had the money I'd probably get one.

#28 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

I seriously considered it, but the reality is it is far to expensive to build a good PC. Anything below the $900 range is going to be obsolete in a year or two, and by then the new consoles will be coming out. I'm just going to wait it out.

#29 Posted by Swoxx (3010 posts) -

I did so recently. After 5 years on 360 and PS3 I was just getting bored with 30fps and the graphics (I also wanted some PC exclusive games).

Battlefield 3 was the tipping point and now I've been pretty much only playing and buying games for the PC, and I'm fucking loving it. Good to find the way back to one's roots, I guess.

#30 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

Well, I am getting a new PC to replace my 4 year old laptop in january, and there will be games played on it - mainly The Old Republic and a bit of WoW when Pandaria comes out - but it's not because I'm turning my back on Consoles or some such thing, it's down to the fact that I just happen to need a new PC. 

First time I'm building one from scratch, should be a dauntingly fun experience. Save me a ton of money too, although the problems in Thailand mean that saved money might end up going to getting a Hard Drive if the prices continue to stay high!

#31 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1133 posts) -

I'm building one at the moment, very slowly though. I technically do game on a PC, but the one I'm using really isn't a gaming PC, or a good PC.

#32 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

No, I don't care for PC gaming, it's very annoying with too many issues and possible issues to make something as simple as playing a video game, a horrible nightmare.

#33 Posted by Sammo21 (3706 posts) -

I am actually building my 3rd PC in either late Jan-early March specifically as a gaming rig. Even though I am a long time console gamer I game plenty on both...in fact, I am in the Super Monday Night Combat invitational and loving it right now.

#34 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I just poured $1000 into building a brand new gaming PC. Still don't use it for anything other then the Sims 3, Civ V, and SWTOR...Been playing on a console to long to ever feel comfortable playing games on a computer.

#35 Posted by mikey87144 (1808 posts) -

@Buckwatters: Initial. They'll sell but I wonder if out of the gate if they will suffer 'cause of the long cycle

#36 Posted by mikey87144 (1808 posts) -

@devilzrule27: What's your configuration. That's about my budget.

#37 Posted by Arbie (1437 posts) -

@TobbRobb: I guess being able to see the results could influence some peoples vote? Not sure. The votes are as follows: D, 1st; A, 2nd; C, 3rd and B, 4th!

I voted D. Although games can look better on PC I don't have the money to build a fancy one to make it worth stop playing console for! And I don't mind waiting. =]

#38 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@devilzrule27: I moved a few months ago, and I realized soon after that my PC ended up on the opposite side of the wall as my TV, *and* I had an HDMI port free on my video card. Long story short, Civ V on a big TV on a sofa with a wireless mouse is pretty awesome.

#39 Posted by MythDarK (559 posts) -

As soon as I know when Guild Wars 2 will be released I'm gonna start looking at prices, and probably buy and build the PC about two weeks before that.

#40 Posted by Humanity (10421 posts) -

The reason I play on consoles today is that years ago I got fed up with all the nonsense that revolves around PC gaming so probably not. I think Steam is great and has come a long way since the release of HL2. So far I'm satisfied with playing on my 360 and the PC exclusive titles are so far and few in between that it's not really a huge temptation.

#41 Posted by CanItRunBF3 (27 posts) -

Been a console-only guy since I got a NES for Christmas in 1987. Since that time I have added SNES,N64,GC, Wii, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, DSi, Genesis, Saturn, DC, PS 1-3, Xbox, and Xbox 360 to my collection, all without owning a gaming PC. Never wanted or needed one. In fact, I had never even used a PC (that wasn't an Apple green/black screen at elementary school) until 1997. But this generation is way too long. This September I bought a i5-2500K GTX570 z68 mobo 8GB Ram rig, pretty much for BF3. Best gaming decision I ever made. It's so nice playing games in true 1080p, not just 720P (or less) like almost all PS3 and 360 games are. Sure, most games are ports, like the Assassins Creed series, but the upped resolution coupled with NO MORE SCREEN TEARING, in 60FPS is awesome. God fucking damn I am so sick of screen tearing from console games! Yeah, there isn't a ton of exclusives, being a guy that doesnt give a shit about ANY Blizzard properties, or strategy games in general like SHogun 2. But I LOVE Witcher 2. BAttlefield 3 might as well be BF4 compared to how shitty it is on consoles. Saints Row The Third PC is brain-meltingly good. Skyrim looks pretty amazing, and runs FAR better than consoles. Late 2013 is just too fucking long to wait for new consoles (not counting WiiU, but if its basically a PS3 power-wise, that doesnt count for much in my book)and even then, other than exclusives, I would rather just play on PC now anyway. Heck, I had my fill of Infamous 2. Never liked God Of War or Gears of War. Tired of Halo. Still haven't bothered playing Uncharted 3. Hate all non-Criterion racing games. I DO wish Dark Souls was on PC, but if it never comes, I probably wont bother getting it for consoles. The way I see it, I spent $1100 in September, for the best gaming has to offer for at least 25 months. And that's if PS4 and Xbox720 actually surpass what my PC can do now. By that time, the GTX700 series will probably be out if I need an upgrade, which will destroy anything those consoles will produce for 5-10 more years. That card will probably cost little or no more than either console. Thanks to the modular nature of a PC, I won't have to repurchase crap I dont want, like a new case, LEDs, power supply, controllers, hardrives, disc drives, ect. that comes with buying a new console. Every dollar spent on PC parts goes directly towrads performance, after you make the inital plunge. Not to mention that most PC games are ten bucks cheaper right off the bat. Games go on sale faster, and for larger price drops. Steam sales absolutely destroy XBLA/PSN discounts on both price and number of occurances. All this lessens the price shock of buying a strong gaming PC. Sure, it will suck when I need a new CPU, which means buying a new mobo and ram, but the i5-2500K isn't being pushed hard in today's games. MAYBE in late 2013 when new consoles come it will start bottlenecking, but I bet I can get 4 years out of it before needing a replacement. As with everything else, when that time comes, the new parts will crush whatever console equivalent can do.

#42 Posted by CanItRunBF3 (27 posts) -

BTW, really hate GB's post system always ignoring my paragraph breaks, reducing everything to a big wall of text

#43 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5301 posts) -

One of us.

#44 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3937 posts) -

E. I would love to but I can't afford it right now.

#45 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@MiasmaFett said:

I Built myself one in september and dont think i will ever look back i stil occasionally play my 360 and ps3 but only for the console exclusives!

Word, my brother.
#46 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

@devilzrule27: I moved a few months ago, and I realized soon after that my PC ended up on the opposite side of the wall as my TV, *and* I had an HDMI port free on my video card. Long story short, Civ V on a big TV on a sofa with a wireless mouse is pretty awesome.

Haha That's how I play Civ5 as well. It's like a completely different game when on a 60"!

#47 Posted by laserbolts (5384 posts) -

Nah I just don't see any reason at this point.

#48 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

@devilzrule27: What's your configuration. That's about my budget.

GCard: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC - $240 (Went with this one since my old card had a problem with over heating and I was a bit paranoid. This one looked like it would stay cool. haha)

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge - $300

Power Supply: Corsair GS800 800Watt - $125

Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series DD3 - $50 for 8GB (4x2GB)

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM - $75(although I'm sure that price has gone up)

I didn't buy a case or new drive since both were only a few years old.

#49 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

Got one for MMORPGS and big Battlefield 3 matches, PS3 for exclusives and the Blu Ray player, 360 for main gaming machine and finally Wii to wedge the door to the bathroom open to keep the air running through to prohibit the smell of poo that comes from there.

#50 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6406 posts) -

Yeah, just got one today, in fact. Too bad I can't play it though because my parents are separated and it's at my mum's house.