#1 Edited by Steven (247 posts) -

This week's bombcast made me curious about the ones I hadn't yet heard and so I found this youtube video.  What do you guys think?  What's your favorite?

#2 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -

Well, my favorite still has to be the Dreamcast one because thats probably the one I heard the most and sounds different, gives you that feeling like you are gonna see something awe inspiring.  Even though I only got a good couple years out of that system, it still gave me the most play time, except for maybe now my 360.
Thought the PS2 one was great, made you think that some shit was going down, this console is super powerful.
The PS3 seems classy like they said in the podcast, and just lets you know, you gonna do something great.
The Nintendo ones are classic except for the Wii and Gamecube, guess they do a better job on the portable.
The first xbox, man that thing sounds like it has problems, but at the same time, gets across like your powering up a nuclear reactor not a console.

#3 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

PSOne was pretty cool.

#4 Posted by RIP_Icewood (97 posts) -

Gotta go with my favorite system of all time....the Dreamcast. The systems noise gives a feeling that matches the Dreamcast perfectly. Its almost like its a game system from the future. Even the name "Dreamcast" invokes a sense of awe. Or maybe its just me... =)

#5 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

The XBOX one sounds like it's going to blow up in your face. It's actually kind of startling.

#6 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I like the Xbox 360 one the best.

#7 Posted by HazBazz (1901 posts) -

The PS1's is pretty cool, always sounded like something epic and cool was coming up

#8 Posted by Bullet_Jr (770 posts) -

This makes me want to make my own console so when you power it up all you hear is a sloppy wet fart.

#9 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

The Xbox is my favorite.

#10 Posted by Gaius (129 posts) -

Hmm, for me I would say it's a tie between the PS one and the Dreamcast.  I love my PS3 but every time I turn it on it reminds me of an orchestra tuning, I wish they had something different.

#11 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

the xbox 360 sounds like heathrow airport just changed address to next door

I myself like the sound of it booting up though, it makes a load of cool noises like VOOOOO and CHIRCHIRCHIR and CHOKCHOKCHOK and finally ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR VAvavavavavavvava.

the ps3 reminds me of a microwave. BEEP

#12 Edited by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
#13 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Miniman said:
"crunchUK said:
"VOOOOO and CHIRCHIRCHIR and CHOKCHOKCHOK and finally ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR VAvavavavavavvava. t"
And then Halo music?"
your post fails
#14 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"the ps3 reminds me of a microwave. BEEP"
What? How does the PS3 startup sound even remotely resemble a microwave?

Anyways, my favorite would have to be either the Gamecube or the PS2.
#15 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Best ever : Playstation 1 startup.
Still really good : Dreamcast startup, really nice

Actually screw that, US Sega CD startup is best.

Here's a video much better than OPs, lots more platforms covered :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0858ClDkCVA

The bastard disabled embedding of his video.

#16 Posted by Ujio (565 posts) -

1. PSX
2. DC (never heard the DC before)

#17 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
PowerSerj said:
"crunchUK said:
"the ps3 reminds me of a microwave. BEEP"
What? How does the PS3 startup sound even remotely resemble a microwave?Anyways, my favorite would have to be either the Gamecube or the PS2."
He's talking about the sounds the consoles themselves make when they start up. The hardware itself, like fan noise and stuff.
#18 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

The PS3 start up sound is like a concert recital warming up, I almost expect to tap a baton to tell the PS3 which game I want to play.

#19 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -
Diamond said:
"Best ever : Playstation 1 startup.
Still really good : Dreamcast startup, really nice

Actually screw that, US Sega CD startup is best.

Here's a video much better than OPs, lots more platforms covered :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0858ClDkCVAThe bastard disabled embedding of his video."
the sega cd's was insane
#20 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

I liked the 2600. Turn it on, and play the friggin' game.

#21 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I like the original Playstation one out of that video.

#22 Posted by GameON (31 posts) -

Hmm, I really like the Dreamcast's, and the PS3s.

...or the clunk-click of the tape drive on my friend's old ZX Spectrum ... then having endure twenty minutes of changing colors on the screen, waiting for 'Dan Dare' to load...Good times.

#23 Posted by Steven (247 posts) -

Yeah I saw that video too, but closed it about 20 seconds in to the (minute long) Sega CD one...guess I have a short attention span.  It does show the video though, which is better...makes the xbox sound make sense (which sounds really bad without that context).

Also I really dislike the both the PS2 and 360 sounds...I love the PS1, PS3, and Dreamcast ones though, and the Gamecube too but probably mostly for nostalgic reasons.

#24 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -
Alexander said:
"PSOne was pretty cool."
Yep...Yep!
#25 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

The PSOne was hands down the very best of those.

#26 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

PS1 has the most coolest and sexiest audio, in my opinion.

Xbox 360 has a pretty good one that I like.

Dreamcast is also pretty interesting.

#27 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

I like the Sega Nomad one, just the classic "Sega." I also really liked how you could hold down various buttons and make the GameCube startup noise different. The 360 startup is pretty good, too.

#28 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

I guess I'm the only one who hates the PS1 sound.  I'm partial to the PS2 and Xbox 360 sounds.

#29 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -
Dalai said:
"I guess I'm the only one who hates the PS1 sound.  I'm partial to the PS2 and Xbox 360 sounds."
i hated the ps1's sound in fact sony has yet to make one i like.
#30 Posted by mr_registered (109 posts) -

The PS1 sound fo sho

#31 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

I like the PS3 and Gamecube sounds, for opposite reasons. PS3 is nice and relaxed while the Gamecube is fun and perky.

Like all things I like: if they were chicks, I'd date 'em.
#32 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Dreamcast or GameCube are my favourites.

#33 Edited by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -
#34 Posted by mikevanpwn (401 posts) -

PS1, PS2, 360 and Wii.

I like the Wii's startup and then it continues into that ambiance type music, also Wii Shop channel has an awesome tune.

#35 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

I must be like the only person who liked the Gamecube sound, I liked how you could hold z starting the system and the sound would change. The sega nomad is pretty cool too, ya know just in case what you forgot you were playing.

#36 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I like the PsP sound.

#37 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

PSP