Console vs PC prefernce question

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Phyrlord

So with borderlands 2 coming out soon it got me thinking.. I'm probably going to buy it on 360.. but the reasons are kind of weird.

I play both PC and 360 games but what I'm finding is that I primarily use the PC for my multilayer experience (mainly league of legends right now) and the 360 for my single player games. What I start to find is that if I try to play single player games on my PC I feel like I'm wasting my time and should be in a game of league or what ever with friends. but when I'm on my 360 it feels like a totally difference experience and can focus on a story and game and synch many pleasurable hours into it without feeling like I'm missing out on something online.

Does anyone else have this kind of preference? Just curious.

It might be a little different for me if I didn't have friends with gaming ADD.. I put 90 hours into my main in borderlands 1 on 360. I don't think I know anyone who played past 25 and moved onto something else after 3 days on PC.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nonapod

I think I know what you mean. When I play games on a console it feels more recreational, sitting on a couch in front of a big screen. My game play sessions also tend to be much shorter on a console than when I'm playing something on a PC. In fact I'm pretty sureI haven't had a play session on a console last longer than an hour or so in over a decade. The last console game I can think off that I played for more than an hour at a stretch was probably Metroid Prime.

Conversely when I game on PC, I tend to have longer play sessions. I played WoW for years and I used to raid several times a week for 4 and 5 hours stretches (had to quit that since it was eating up too much time). I've also had enormous play sessions of Galactic Civilations II, lasting 5 and 6 hours. Not to mention all the long games of Supreme Commander, Diablo III, Starcraft II and a bunch of other PC games.

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By morkaithewolf

Surprisingly, I'm the exact opposite. I prefer to play multiplayer gams with friends (either on the couch or over the internet) on a console and prefer a single player game on my pc. Hard to explain why but it just works better this way.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Willtron

Exact opposite for me, too. Generally, if my computer can run it, I'll play a game on it--most of the time it's those big-ass single player games. I've done this more and more now that a lot of PC ports/games have good controller support. I can't imagine trying to play something like Skyrim or Fallout on a console. And when it comes to a notion of recreation, if I plan on sitting down with a game for a few hours, regardless of whether it's on PC or consoles I'll throw it on my TV.

Only instance of playing a huge-ass single player game on consoles instead of a PC despite the PC versions being better was the Mass Effect trilogy. And that was because I had an ass laptop that couldn't run Mass Effect when it first came out, so I got it on the 360. I figured I'd just stick with my version of Shepard, so I've picked up the console versions of Mass Effect 2 and 3.

More multiplayer-focused games, I've found the few people I play games with online with any regularity are much more likely to get the game on consoles. So if there's an option and it's a multiplayer-centric game, or a game I'll play a lot of multiplayer in I'll get it for console. Sometimes--in fact, quite often, those types of games end up being console-only/console-only for way too long, or simply better on the console, weirdly enough--Red Dead Redemption, FIFA, I'm looking at you. I stay away from FPS/DOTA-types/MMOs, so to be honest, a lottttt of multiplayer games I play are console-exclusive/better on consoles, actually.

Also, if I can run a game on PC, but it's under recommended requirements and over the minimum, I figure I might as well play it on a console. I'm looking at you, Batman. And the Dirt series.

Also, mods. Seriously. Mods. Makes me play a lottt of games on PC. <_<

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

I go where the games are, or the best version. I'm not a fan of buying completely loose PC games with no achievements or not tied in to a service because it kind of does feel like I am wasting my time, but that's ancillary. PC version is better, I'm going with the PC version.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268

I know what you're saying 

But I have a hard time playing console games for the same reason. I feel like I should be on my PC playing another game when I do play console games unless the game is so good that I forget my PC exists, but that is pretty rare.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By agentboolen

My choices are either my Xbox 360 or my PS3.... My PC doesn't seem to run anything unless its from the PS2 era... Even though the Best Buy guy that sold me my Laptop said it would be able to handle Left 4 Dead, which it does at about 10 fps, thanks ass hole!

IntoTheN1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IntoTheN1ght

I can echo what you said

I never feel motivated to play a single player game on my PC, its just so hard to sit down and focus on a story or anything. The last single player i managed to play through was Starcraft II which is now what....2 years old? Before SC2? It was probably Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne.

I know and have known for a decades that PC versions are "superior" than console games (multiplayer) but this is usually in 99% cases graphical. Yet because of Steam and the digital movement in PC gaming i feel much less attached to my PC game collection, i dont feel like they are my games. I bought a few titles on Steam sale this summer but feel no real reason to finish them.

Yet i feel much more inclined to finish my games on my PS3 (40 games) and 360 (12), and hell even my Wii titles. I open up a game, put the disc in, and leave the case close to the TV, so when i am finished with the game (beaten it) and extracted as much entertainment as i could i put it back in the game cover and goes on the game shelf.

PC games i just dont feel like playing them, if you gave me FREE great titles like Just Cause 2, AC Brotherhood and 20 others on Steam i would not even play for even 10 minutes each.

Does any of this make any logical sense? Probably not, maybe this is just what us "older" gamers have to deal with, we grew up in a different time. I rather get a physical copy of a shitty but funny game like 50 Cent Blood on the Sand on the PS3/360 than get 50 great Steam games of my choosing.

And yes my PC is hooked up to my HDTV, 50inch Sony Bravia, i also have both a 360 wired controller and a Dual Shock 2 with one of those converters, i can easily play these games in "console" ways. Yet still dont want to.

I just dont see any value in PC games, even tough they are superior than the console port in almost every way imaginable. It wasent always like this for me, there was a time when i was very much into it, i remember 1998 and 1999 as great years for PC gaming, the UT vs Q3A was great to see, 2 fantastic frag fps games going at it.

But then things just withered, WoW came and consoles were the place to be, recently Steam became huge but its like the soul of PC gaming is no longer there, at least for me. Its just a rental service for games that people barely play

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Branwulf

I prefer to play games on the PC period. The only times I buy console games anymore are because I have no choice, like Dark Souls for example, which i'm buying again on PC.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Willtron

@IntoTheN1ght said:

I can echo what you said

I never feel motivated to play a single player game on my PC, its just so hard to sit down and focus on a story or anything. The last single player i managed to play through was Starcraft II which is now what....2 years old? Before SC2? It was probably Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne.

I know and have known for a decades that PC versions are "superior" than console games (multiplayer) but this is usually in 99% cases graphical. Yet because of Steam and the digital movement in PC gaming i feel much less attached to my PC game collection, i dont feel like they are my games. I bought a few titles on Steam sale this summer but feel no real reason to finish them.

Yet i feel much more inclined to finish my games on my PS3 (40 games) and 360 (12), and hell even my Wii titles. I open up a game, put the disc in, and leave the case close to the TV, so when i am finished with the game (beaten it) and extracted as much entertainment as i could i put it back in the game cover and goes on the game shelf.

PC games i just dont feel like playing them, if you gave me FREE great titles like Just Cause 2, AC Brotherhood and 20 others on Steam i would not even play for even 10 minutes each.

Does any of this make any logical sense? Probably not, maybe this is just what us "older" gamers have to deal with, we grew up in a different time. I rather get a physical copy of a shitty but funny game like 50 Cent Blood on the Sand on the PS3/360 than get 50 great Steam games of my choosing.

And yes my PC is hooked up to my HDTV, 50inch Sony Bravia, i also have both a 360 wired controller and a Dual Shock 2 with one of those converters, i can easily play these games in "console" ways. Yet still dont want to.

I just dont see any value in PC games, even tough they are superior than the console port in almost every way imaginable. It wasent always like this for me, there was a time when i was very much into it, i remember 1998 and 1999 as great years for PC gaming, the UT vs Q3A was great to see, 2 fantastic frag fps games going at it.

But then things just withered, WoW came and consoles were the place to be, recently Steam became huge but its like the soul of PC gaming is no longer there, at least for me. Its just a rental service for games that people barely play

These are the ravings of a mad-man.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

Singleplayer all the way!