#1 Posted by ValeYard (149 posts) -

Hi guys, I have a bit of a temperature right now, so maybe this is me just tripping, but anyway: After following the recent upswing of Console War rhetoric and being drawn into it myself with p-comparisons, threads on a few faulty ps4s, I had one of those lucid moments and thought, "What am I doing here? It helps no one, least of all myself."

The recent South Park episode seems to address how ridiculous the religious fervor is with which we defend our loyalties to corporations trying to sell us their products.

I say, it's time we got better. I'm part of a generation that grew up with gaming hardware from the 16-bit consoles onward, technology has become part of our daily lives and also a way we express our individuality. So let us act like children on a playground no more, but rather like adults with a mutual appreciation of gaming and individual ways of expressing it, all deserving equal respect.

Therefore, as someone heavily invested in Xbox game franchises with not unlimited financial resources, and thus not getting a ps4, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish anyone getting a ps4 the best launch possible with great games now and in the future. I think the console looks amazing, I really like the power bar on the side, and think the ps4 controller may even have trumped the Xbox's in design and comfort.

As for anyone getting the Xbox, I wish the same, of course. I hope none of us feel any buyer's remorse or have stressful experiences returning products, and really feel like the long wait for these consoles has been worth it.

Sony has it right, greatness does await, but it's our greatness, not the greatness of any company.

#2 Edited by Matt_F606 (295 posts) -

Well said. I'm making the switch from 360 to PS4 but I genuinely hope both products are great. We have a couple of weeks to go in the UK before the PS4 arrives but just glance at the Youtube comments on Gamespot's daily news show, the arguments are insane. I don't know, maybe I was the same when the 360 came out but there really is no point.

#3 Posted by Sinusoidal (1263 posts) -

Scru u!

PS4 roolz, XBONE droolz!

Nah, I'm with you. I hope both consoles do well enough that we get to see some awesome new games in the coming years. The more the merrier!

#4 Posted by Gatehouse (571 posts) -

OUYA WILL CRUSH YOU ALL!!!!

Ahem, sorry about that, the demons trying to escape again. I think everyone on here is going to agree with this. We all want these platforms to be great, as then we'll get great games. And what sort of monster doesn't want great games eh?

#5 Edited by Bummlmitz (72 posts) -

PC master race chiming in... . What's this console war about? And why are buying sub-par hardware?

scnr

#6 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (725 posts) -

I'm staying out of the console war by buying a Retron 5.

#7 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

I'm going back to a Vectrex. Now top my system.

#8 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

I don't think I'm ever going to convince my friend to not stay angry with me staying on Xbox. I just want my friend back is all, but that's not gonna happen for like two years it seems.

I think Uncharted 4's will still be fun, and I do like me some multiplayer.

#9 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

I've been through all the consoles wars and still struggle with flashbacks to this very day. I think at times like this, it's important to remember that there are casualties in this unnecessary battle. Paying tribute to their sacrifice will remind us that in the end, no one wins.

R.I.P, old friend. Your heroism will never be forgotten.

#10 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I find the whole "war" aspect hilarious. I'm probably going to sit this one out and laugh at the sidelines.

#11 Edited by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -

I'm with you OP, and I think the reality is that probably the majority of users here support you. Unfortunately, all it takes is a few rotten apples to ruin the bunch and drag forum and comment discourse into console war bickering. On the mod side, we do what we can to keep it from getting too far out of hand, but there's a fine line that we have to tread between stamping out the "system wars" and accidentally stifling all conversation, which we certainly don't want to do.

In general, I'd just advise people to continue trying to observe the primary rule of these forums: Don't Be a Jerk.

#12 Edited by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Rather than pretending 'everything is always equal!!! yay!' (it isn't), it would be better if we could just call each other's consoles pieces of shit without anybody getting upset over something so trivial.

Discussing faulty hardware is fine. Having the opinion that one platform is better than another is fine. Getting upset because somebody criticised a game console you happen to own is pathetic. It's not some kind of personal attack against X1 owners to point out that Dead Rising 3 runs at about 8 frames per ever with the graphical prowess of ~Carmageddon or whatever. People just need to toughen up, realise that they aren't their consoles and that they don't need validation or approval from people on the internet. I think X1 at $500 is a shitty proposition and won't pretend otherwise, but as long as you're happy with it who cares?

#13 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2861 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Rather than pretending 'everything is always equal!!! yay!' (it isn't), it would be better if we could just call each other's consoles pieces of shit without anybody getting upset over something so trivial.

Discussing faulty hardware is fine. Having the opinion that one platform is better than another is fine. Getting upset because somebody criticised a game console you happen to own is pathetic. It's not some kind of personal attack against X1 owners to point out that Dead Rising 3 runs at about 8 frames per ever with the graphical prowess of ~Carmageddon or whatever. People just need to toughen up, realise that they aren't their consoles and that they don't need validation or approval from people on the internet. I think X1 at $500 is a shitty proposition and won't pretend otherwise, but as long as you're happy with it who cares?

Yeah you're so right duder, let's just all be cool jerks and get tough.

Excuse me while I go pump iron and chain smoke, you fucking nerds.

#14 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I made a huge mistake browsing neogaf yesterday, god that place is a fanboy sink-hole. Makes their already lame sense of self-importance even sadder.

shoots fired, and yeah I'm salty.

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Nah, keep the "war" going. It's funny as shit to watch from the sidelines.

#16 Posted by ValeYard (149 posts) -

@geraltitude: yeah, :( I'm sorry to everyone, I regret starting this thread, maybe we should lock it.

Through my study of Chinese philosophy in taiji I've discovered that you only make yourself unhappy if you fill your world with negativity. Of course, @jimbo, it is your good right, nay obligation, to tell companies when you feel their hardware is subpar. However, your way of communicating this is simply by not buying it. Cash is the medium that corporate actors communicate through. Fanboy rage does damage primarily to one group of people, the fanboys themselves.

I hoped that for this thread we could celebrate our excitement, as myopic with regard to any hardware shortcomings it may be. For this and the next few years, they're the only consoles in the classical sense we are getting, and I'd like to celebrate that with positivity. Of course, Kinect appears dumb, the light bar always on on a controller could be annoying etc, ad infinitum. However, with an open mind maybe Kinect for the new Xbox might be awesome. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

And who's saying the consoles are equal? What does equal even mean? They are the product of creative minds working under time constraints, thus not perfect, but a human achievement. Voice constructive criticism with your wallet, but being polemic does an injustice to the people who invested their time into making it, and to the people investing their money into buying it.

Buying something bad, getting a faulty product, or being plagued by the feeling you made the 'wrong choice' can give you, especially if you have limited money, an awful sinking feeling. I'd like to keep everyone buoyed up a bit. So congrats to anyone making the plunge on new consoles, let's see where this cycle takes us.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

I just hope somebody posts the "sou desu ne" part of that episode to YouTube. That shit's gonna be VERY useful.

#18 Edited by Budwyzer (539 posts) -

The N64 was pretty goddamn fun! What the fuck ever happened to games coming out and just being fun? It used to be that people were busy and when they had some time would go buy a game and play that game, or even rent a game from Blockbuster and then take it back later.

Now, we're all so absorbed in the ecosystem, we've all invested so much time and money into gaming, that we feel we cannot afford to stop or else we will not most efficiently get everything that we can out of the items that we have purchased.

Just pick a console, or buy both, get games you think will be fun, play them and be happy. Stop picking and picking and picking at the things until there is nothing left. ( Life lesson from Smart Guy)

The internet is ruining everything. When I lived deep in the country and dial-up was barely available, sitting in my house and playing games by myself or with a friend on the couch all while being completely oblivious to all the bullshit on the web was the greatest time of gaming in my life.

#19 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2861 posts) -

You do good work, @valeyard, don't let the naysayers get to you.

#20 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

@donpixel said:

I made a huge mistake browsing neogaf yesterday, god that place is a fanboy sink-hole. Makes they already lame sense of self-importance even sadder.

shoots fired, and yeah I'm salty.

Was there no deep fryer available to dip your balls in? That probably would have been a more enjoyable way to spend your time.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

@valeyard said:

@geraltitude: yeah, :( I'm sorry to everyone, I regret starting this thread, maybe we should lock it.

Through my study of Chinese philosophy in taiji I've discovered that you only make yourself unhappy if you fill your world with negativity. Of course, @jimbo, it is your good right, nay obligation, to tell companies when you feel their hardware is subpar. However, your way of communicating this is simply by not buying it. Cash is the medium that corporate actors communicate through. Fanboy rage does damage primarily to one group of people, the fanboys themselves.

I hoped that for this thread we could celebrate our excitement, as myopic with regard to any hardware shortcomings it may be. For this and the next few years, they're the only consoles in the classical sense we are getting, and I'd like to celebrate that with positivity. Of course, Kinect appears dumb, the light bar always on on a controller could be annoying etc, ad infinitum. However, with an open mind maybe Kinect for the new Xbox might be awesome. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

And who's saying the consoles are equal? What does equal even mean? They are the product of creative minds working under time constraints, thus not perfect, but a human achievement. Voice constructive criticism with your wallet, but being polemic does an injustice to the people who invested their time into making it, and to the people investing their money into buying it.

Buying something bad, getting a faulty product, or being plagued by the feeling you made the 'wrong choice' can give you, especially if you have limited money, an awful sinking feeling. I'd like to keep everyone buoyed up a bit. So congrats to anyone making the plunge on new consoles, let's see where this cycle takes us.

No, I'll communicate with my words as well as my money thanks - that is what we invented language for after all.

It's a myth that a (regular) individual can send 'constructive criticism' with their wallet; they won't even hear that individual voice against the background noise, let alone be able to discern any meaningful criticism or nuance from such a binary response as 'bought it / didn't buy it'. Money may be the only language they understand, but they only hear it if it's delivered en masse, and the way that ends up happening is as a result of ideas and opinions being exchanged. The exchange of ideas and opinions is primarily what forums like this -and even words themselves- exist for.

Ultimately, words can be far more effective than simply 'speaking with your wallet'. It's good to speak with your wallet, but better by far to speak with your wallet and then convince ten other people to speak with theirs too. In fact, we've already seen just how effective this process can be: opinions exchanged > consensus formed > preorders presumably hammered > Microsoft being forced to abandon everything everybody was speaking out about.

We don't all sit around pretending every game is a 10/10 and never discussing anything that's wrong with them, so I don't see why it should be any different for platforms just because they're more expensive and some people are overly sensitive about it. If they associate so strongly with their games console that they get upset simply from hearing it criticised, then I'd suggest it's probably those people who need to step away from forums and take a look at themselves.

You might want to buoy people up if / in case they've made a bad decision, and that's a noble intention, but personally I'd rather encourage them to make a better choice beforehand than 'console' (ha!) them after the fact.

@jimbo said:

Yeah you're so right duder, let's just all be cool jerks and get tough.

Excuse me while I go pump iron and chain smoke, you fucking nerds.

That's the spirit!

But srsly, this isn't a creche. There's clear blue water between personal attacks and criticism of a games console. If somebody can't handle the latter then they really have no business being here (especially if they can't handle it on GB, which is about as tame as the internet gets). It's a game discussion forum: consoles are gonna get criticised. It's that association between console and self which needs to be checked at the door, not the criticism.

#22 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I've been through all the consoles wars and still struggle with flashbacks to this very day. I think at times like this, it's important to remember that there are casualties in this unnecessary battle. Paying tribute to their sacrifice will remind us that in the end, no one wins.

R.I.P, old friend. Your heroism will never be forgotten.

GOSH the dreamcast was so great. Best launch of any console ever. Possibly the greatest console of any console ever.

I wonder what was it that made it so fantastic?

#24 Posted by Sterling (2054 posts) -

Some people just want to see the world burn. And I am one of them.

#25 Posted by shinjin977 (743 posts) -

Nah, keep the "war" going. It's funny as shit to watch from the sidelines.

As a logical human being, I would like to say we are better than to laugh at other's meltdown but as a normal human being and seeing some of the console war gifs forums around the world created, I would like to agree with this about 100000 times.

#26 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1026 posts) -

While console wars can turn into a cesspit, it's all in good fun. Like legendary meltdowns of FFXIII going multiplat.

#27 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

I get the feeling @jimbo is gonna shank someone in this thread for being too weak to roll on his Giant Bomb turf.

(just kidding!)

(please don't shank me)

#28 Posted by MEATBALL (3020 posts) -

I love videogames and love owning all consoles. BUT FUCK PC YALL HEAR ME BLAT BLAT BLAT

#29 Posted by benspyda (2015 posts) -

I don't know, companies competing for your dollars means they have to out do each other which ends up good for us in the end. We could just let people fight it out as they always do, and just have a good laugh from the sideline. Humans are just naturally competitive, it's like some kind of survival of the fittest biology thing.

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

@meatball said:

I love videogames and love owning all consoles. BUT FUCK PC YALL HEAR ME BLAT BLAT BLAT

:'(

#31 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

Yoshida even talked about how healthy and beneficial competition is, only a complete idiot would crave a monopoly.

#32 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

@jimbo said:

@meatball said:

:'(

This is our turf. You hear me? BLAT BLAT

#33 Posted by White (1305 posts) -

Abstain from the one thing that gives us a pseudo-sense of superiority? Fuck no!

#34 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3535 posts) -

Yoshida even talked about how healthy and beneficial competition is, only a complete idiot would crave a monopoly.

Agreed. Sony fans have the success of the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live to thank for all the free games with PS Plus, and Xbox fans have Sony to thank for the 'Games with Gold' promotion, which has now been announced to continue on Xbox One.

Competition is wonderful for consumers. :)

#35 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@valeyard said:

So let us act like children on a playground no more, but rather like adults with a mutual appreciation of gaming and individual ways of expressing it, all deserving equal respect.

Never gonna happen. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be like that but it just won't ever be. Too many immature people for that utopian ideal to thrive.

#36 Posted by ShaggE (6297 posts) -

Sadly, the problem is that the anti-fanboy argument relies on logic, and logic is a concept that fanboys refuse to grasp.

#37 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3133 posts) -
#38 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

what?! No! It's a long and storied tradition. It's not our fault if some people take things too seriously and get their feelings hurt over a piece of hardware.

#39 Posted by Slag (3919 posts) -

Never understood tribalism over a console. It's pretty effin lame.

#40 Edited by ValeYard (149 posts) -

@jimbo: dude, are you not trolling a little bit?

My whole point for starting this thread, wasn't to state that the new consoles are equal, but that we as buyers or non-buyers deserve equal respect as human beings.

I'm not going to debate the whole money vs. language in communication with organizations. Thank you for your opinion on that. My opinions were formed during my Master's degree course in sociology and linguistics, which doesn't mean much maybe, but gave me some insights into how opinions are formed at a non-individual level, and it's more complicated than you think, and that organizations really shouldn't be treated like people you can talk to when you want something from them, it's in fact the least effective way of going about this (cp. highly emotional letters of complaint that some poor intern has to sift through).

I'd hoped we could use this thread as a platform to wish people making decisions that we are not personally making, i.e., getting a ps4 or Xbox or even refraining from diving into 'next gen', all the best, because I feel bitching about things other people are looking forward to is not healthy for one's spiritual development. If you think a system is bad, I believe writing a blog about it would be a better way of communicating that than going into a forum and trying to 'form a consensus'. Because is individual choice resulting in a variety of decisions not one of the basic human freedoms that democracies guarantee?

Whatever, I wish you happy days and hope that they bring the results/messages to the console makers that you would like.

OK, that's me out. To everyone, I hope the next few days are great if you are getting a new console or not. And remember that true polemics are needed in the world, when talking about matters such as human rights issues, wealth distribution, starvation, NSA, etc. Go and get on top of those issues with all the according hate and vitriol you can, don't waste them on Console Wars, there's enough sadness, loss, and pain in life as it is.

#41 Edited by notdavid (815 posts) -