#1 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

Hey guys, recently put together a new PC instead of going for a console. Since I'm a complete idiot when it comes to PC building I had a friend choose the parts and put it together for me last week. Ever since we set it up last week games have ran with a noticeable stutter even those that ran fine with my older card. All of the components were new except for the hard drive, so thinking that was likely the issue I performed a factory reset yesterday then installed a fairly new game with low requirements (Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD) hoping to see the stutter gone. No luck as of yet so I'll put up my PC as reported by speccy and any advice would be really appreciated though I have already installed the latest drivers, just to skip that one.

Summary

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD FX-6300 17 °C

Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0 (Socket 942) 28 °C

Graphics

LG TV (1920x1080@60Hz)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 30 °C

Storage

1397GB Seagate ST1500DL003-9VT16L ATA Device (SATA) 36 °C

Optical Drives

ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks in advance, in a bit of a bind here as I dropped a bit of cash on this and have been told by mates it's not the new parts but likely something else so here's hoping someone will be able to help.

#2 Posted by SuperiorArmbar (32 posts) -

Sounds like it might be outdated drivers. Update your drivers online and restart. Are you running these games through steam?

#3 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@superiorarmbar: Nah Uplay in the case of assassin's creed, but even hearthstone is a stuttery framey mess on my PC. Already done an update and restart with the drivers.

#4 Posted by SuperiorArmbar (32 posts) -

hmm, try selecting adaptive frame rates in your Nvidia control panel.

#5 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Just to be sure, you definitely put your video card in a 16x PCI-Express slot, right?

Your processor is on the weak side but certainly not weak enough to cause these issues, if reinstalling Windows solved nothing then you can rule out a driver problem. Try updating your motherboard's BIOs and setting it to default settings.

I hope your friend didn't skimp on your power supply because that is a prime candidate for system instability and ehh performance, I don't understand why he got you Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 either. (Windows 8, runs games slightly better, every frame counts)

#6 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@sooty: I'll have a look at the motherboard issue, I'm fairly certain everything is installed into the correct slots but I'll ask him to check next chance he gets. It's a 600 watt ATX power supply which I hear should be enough for what I have, as for windows it's what's preinstalled in this older hard drive that I brought across from the previous PC was planning to upgrade to 8 and add a SSD later once I fix these issues and I can afford it.

#7 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@wampa1 said:

@sooty: I'll have a look at the motherboard issue, I'm fairly certain everything is installed into the correct slots but I'll ask him to check next chance he gets. It's a 600 watt ATX power supply which I hear should be enough for what I have, as for windows it's what's preinstalled in this older hard drive that I brought across from the previous PC was planning to upgrade to 8 and add a SSD later once I fix these issues and I can afford it.

You just put the hard drive into a brand new machine?

That's probably why, Windows doesn't play nice if you swap motherboard/chipset, I'm not sure if a factory reset from a pre-install would re-install the OS entirely or not, but that's something to look into.

#8 Posted by Humanity (9603 posts) -

@sooty said:

@wampa1 said:

That's probably why, Windows doesn't play nice if you swap motherboard/chipset.

Most of the time Windows 7 will not play ball at all if you swap out the motherboard. It's really a stroke of luck that it booted up at all.

#9 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@sooty: Yeah that's my concern, I did the full destructive but it's also an older well used hard drive. The issue is the cost of both a new one and a copy of windows 8 since we thought the clean wipe would be enough.

#10 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@humanity said:

@sooty said:

@wampa1 said:

That's probably why, Windows doesn't play nice if you swap motherboard/chipset.

Most of the time Windows 7 will not play ball at all if you swap out the motherboard. It's really a stroke of luck that it booted up at all.

I agree with these guys. Taking a hard drive with an install of Windows that was done on a different motherboard will cause a lot of problems.

"Find" a copy and do a fresh install of Windows.

#11 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@psylah: He initially tried to do a fresh install from a disk he brought with him but for some reason my computer wouldn't allow it, said that to do so he'll need to "change some settings in the master boot record" Any of that sound right or am I totally misunderstanding the advice you guys are giving?

#12 Posted by Humanity (9603 posts) -

@wampa1 said:

@psylah: He initially tried to do a fresh install from a disk he brought with him but for some reason my computer wouldn't allow it, said that to do so he'll need to "change some settings in the master boot record" Any of that sound right or am I totally misunderstanding the advice you guys are giving?

It just sounds like you need to set your CD/DVD-rom drive as the first device during boot-up in order to facilitate a full Windows install - when you do a fresh install from the disc you need to tell your PC to check out anything in the CD/DVD first before it tries to initialize the Operating System; it will then spin up the CD/DVD after the bios screen and that in turn will trigger the Windows install - which is nothing out of the ordinary.

That is, I think thats what he's talking about.

#13 Edited by Szlifier (496 posts) -

@wampa1: You have to do a fresh install after replacing the motherboard. IF you can't, then SYSPREP may help.

Do it only if you can't do a fresh install right now, otherwise don't bother:

Stop wmpnetwk.exe in Task Manager
Win + R
type: sysprep
ENTER
open sysprep.exe

Set it up like this:

It should finish in less than an hour.

After reboot it'll reinstall all hardware drivers and ask for a username, type in something other than your current username, logout then login to your account.

The only thing that's left is to install these in this order:
Motherboard drivers
Audio drivers
GPU drivers

#14 Edited by Vamino (214 posts) -

@wampa1 said:

Do you happen to know what brand your power supply is? Not all are created equal and the wattage of cheap PSU's is not always exactly as described. That said, the not-fresh Windows install sounds like the most likely culprit.

#15 Edited by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@vamino: It's a Corsair CX series.

#16 Posted by Vamino (214 posts) -

@wampa1: Absolutely no worries there then. Corsair is a solid brand.

#17 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@wampa1: Come on man. Computer 101 stuff here. Unless you have an image which is unlikely you need to start from the beginning and install Windows after doing something major like swapping motherboards. How did you manage to throw together a bunch of parts (even if they are bottlenecked) and miss the software part and then wonder why it's jacked up? If you are a system builder you need an instal able version of you OS of choice.

#18 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@shadowskill11: As I said a friend put it together and had a copy of Windows 7 on disk, it was only after we built it and tried to install it he was unable to leading to a factory reset and where I am now. Never claimed to be a system builder or even know computer 101 stuff, the total opposite actually. That's why I'm here asking for help.

#19 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

Having spent a few hours on it, he wasn't able to find a solution so I'm a bit stuck now. The only part that has carried over from the previous PC is the wiped and rebooted Hard Drive, would it make any sense to replace that with a new one? I'm not keen on spending more money but if it's the best solution I'd look into it.

#20 Posted by Korwin (2893 posts) -

@wampa1 said:

Having spent a few hours on it, he wasn't able to find a solution so I'm a bit stuck now. The only part that has carried over from the previous PC is the wiped and rebooted Hard Drive, would it make any sense to replace that with a new one? I'm not keen on spending more money but if it's the best solution I'd look into it.

One does not reboot a hard drive.

A shiny new hard drive would be nice, however it doesn't seem at all necessary. When you say wiped and rebooted, does this mean you fired up Windows 7 setup and deleted the existing partitioned then created a new clean one?

#21 Posted by GreggD (4507 posts) -

The 700 series of GeForce cards require PCI-E 3.0 to run as intended. If you can do a fresh install of Windows, that's also a good idea, and probably the biggest thing you need to make sure you do. After that, I would recommend defragmenting your data/OS drives (HDD, SSD) so as to clear up any laggy behavior when it comes to data streaming. That tends to happen after you load up your drive with a ton of data, such as games. So if you go on a huge Steam download binge, you pretty much need to defrag to keep things running smoothly. Anyway, those are my suggestions, hope they help!

#22 Posted by Korwin (2893 posts) -

@greggd said:

The 700 series of GeForce cards require PCI-E 3.0 to run as intended

Not really, they're PCI-E 3.0 compliant but they're don't even come close to using the maximum available bandwidth. PCI-E 2.0 16x has the same bandwidth as 8x PCI-E 3.0 after all.

#23 Edited by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@greggd: Damn, could it be causing these problems? I was told that a 2.0 connection would be fine and I'd only want the 3.0 for a multi-monitor set up by a few people online.

@korwin: Sorry if this isn't clear I just followed some online instructions and did a "full destructive wipe" after which windows restarted and reinstalled windows itself leaving me with an empty hard drive that I then defragmented.

#24 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

Would getting a new Windows 8.1 DVD and installing a whole new OS be the better solution then? There really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the new parts themselves and if getting a new hard drive won't make any real difference I'd sooner spend the money on an OS.

#25 Edited by Hunkulese (2787 posts) -

I recently had to replace my motherboard and CPU and didn't have to reinstall windows. It took a little while for Windows to scan for drivers and figure out what happened but after a couple hours it worked fine. Only issue I've run into is that GeForce experience will blue screen me.

#26 Posted by GreggD (4507 posts) -

@korwin said:

@greggd said:

The 700 series of GeForce cards require PCI-E 3.0 to run as intended

Not really, they're PCI-E 3.0 compliant but they're don't even come close to using the maximum available bandwidth. PCI-E 2.0 16x has the same bandwidth as 8x PCI-E 3.0 after all.

PCI-E 3.0 is not just double the speed of 2.0. It's a bigger leap than that.

#27 Posted by YapaPanda (127 posts) -

Just something to consider, is this a cpu spike that is causing the stuttering? And is this happening immediately or after a while? It might have something to do with you power supply/temperature of the gpu.

#28 Posted by Stilblad (89 posts) -

My guess is that there is a heat problem with his GPU

#29 Edited by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

So I tried a format and fresh install from a copy of windows 7, while the old os is uninstalled the new one refuses to install so my computer just sits at the boot screen with text saying "no os detected" pretty much bricked it with my technical expertise.

#30 Posted by GreggD (4507 posts) -
#31 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

@wampa1 said:

So I tried a format and fresh install from a copy of windows 7, while the old os is uninstalled the new one refuses to install so my computer just sits at the boot screen with text saying "no os detected" pretty much bricked it with my technical expertise.

Explain what you mean by 'the new one refuses to install'? How are you trying to install it?

You probably need to go into BIOS (hit Delete repeatedly while your PC is booting up) and make sure that your disc drive is at the top of your Boot Priority or whatever it's called. This means that when your PC boots it will be looking at the disc drive to tell it what to do rather than looking at the hard drive (which currently can't tell it anything because there's nothing on it). After that, when you boot up with the Windows disc in the drive it should hold your hand through the install process.

Forget hunting for problems with your hardware for now; you're wasting your time until you have successfully completed a fresh install of Windows. It is more likely than not that this will solve any problems you were having.

#32 Posted by Devildoll (899 posts) -
@wampa1 said:

you're saying you cant even initiate the install?

Your motherboard has UEFI, if you enter into it, you should be able to just click the DVD player in a boot order list to to get it going.

Like this.

#33 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@devildoll: @jimbo: Thanks I had to just delete both partitions when I was installing windows 7, for some reason it wouldn't let me reformat them or install the new OS without deleting. Need to download some games to see how everything is once I have the latest drivers installed again.

#34 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

So having formatted the Hard Drive and installed windows 7 64 bit, the drivers and a few games I'm still pretty sure I'm getting performance issues I shouldn't be. With Games like Assassin's creed 3 hitting about 25-40 fps according to fraps even when tuned down a bit. Tomb Raider (one of the games used in a review I used as a purchasing basis) Runs at about 50 with the ultra settings and a few things (like tresseffects) turned off.

Here's the article in question, is there anything in my set up that could be causing this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review

#35 Edited by Devildoll (899 posts) -

@wampa1: are you comparing to the same scenes as they are running?

what is your gpu usage? let msi afterburner run in the background, then jump out and look at the graph, it should be locked at 100%

#36 Edited by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@devildoll: GPU Usage is at Max:99% When I tried to run 3dmark11 demo it encountered an error, though that could just be due to new drivers yeah? Sorry the GPU usage also dips quite a bit down to 70% some times.

Running the sims 3 GPU usage comes in as low as 24%

#37 Edited by Devildoll (899 posts) -

@wampa1: Your gpu usage seems fine then, as long as the dips are in the minority.

I'm guessing sims 3 runs pretty great?
the low gpu usage in sims 3 would point to the fact that your gpu doesnt have to work much in order to run it flawlessly, if that is the case.

if you are utilizing your gpu to the fullest, as you seem to be doing, i cant really say why you are getting worse framerates than the reviewers.
other than a difference in settings used, ingame as well as nvidia controlpanel, as well as differing drivers.

Them having a monster cpu overclocked to the max to ensure that the graphics card is what is being tested in the review, will of course give them an edge over your fx6300.
but it shouldn't be huge.

You should probably look up that 3dmark error, cause 3dmark would be something good to benchmark, since it is very repeatable.

#38 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@devildoll: Nah sims is constantly stuttery and never manages to hit a consistent frame rate even when I move the camera around it most games there are slight drops an skips in the action.

#39 Edited by Devildoll (899 posts) -

@wampa1: hmmh, so you're framerate is really low in sims 3?
Or is it above 60, but still appears as stuttery?

EDIT :

The one thing that is odd about your pc's hardware configuration is that you only have one stick of ram.
Meaning you have half the ram bandwidth of most people. (single channel vs dual channel)
I've never run single channel myself, so i don't how detrimental it is to gaming.

#40 Posted by Wampa1 (711 posts) -

@devildoll: The Sims 3 jumps wildly between 130fps and 20-50fps in Fraps. Might just be the game and I'd need some kind of frame limiter?

#41 Edited by Devildoll (899 posts) -

@wampa1: does your graphics cards clock frequencies change in sync with the fps jumps?

apart from the graphics drivers, have you installed fresh chipset, audio, lan, usb, and, sata drivers?