#1 Posted by JohnSublime (53 posts) -

As the title suggests is anyone aware of any fantasy or specifically magic/wizard video games, RPG or otherwise, set in modern day? It's a genre I've always enjoyed and the only thing that really seems to come close would be Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Any ideas? Or any mods of games that aim to do this at least?

#2 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3308 posts) -

Does Persona count? I'm sure there are others but kind of drawing a blank right now...

What are the games you've already played in this genre? Well, theme, or whatever.

#3 Posted by AlKusanagi (919 posts) -

The Secret World.

#4 Posted by SunBroZak (1114 posts) -

Does Darksiders count? If I recall correctly, it's a post-apocalypse version of modern day. With demons and angels and such.

#5 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (181 posts) -

Harry potter?

oh dear..

#6 Posted by cloudymusic (1109 posts) -
#7 Posted by Zalrus9 (110 posts) -

For the most part, the Shin Megami Tensei games take place in modern (or semi modern) times. However, they're less "wizard" and more "Godlike beings." What do you think?

#8 Posted by ShaggE (6451 posts) -

Shadowrun, maybe? Technically cyberpunk and in the future, but it's close.

#9 Edited by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

CCP is apparently making a game in the Vampire: The Masquerade setting called World of Darkness, though who knows when that will see the light of day. There really isn't much in that genre for games, though.

#10 Edited by TheHT (11237 posts) -

Yup, Secret World is a big one. The makers of EVE Online are making a modern day vampire MMO I think.

Beyond: Two Souls has a ghost in it, and I hear it gets crazy towards the end. I think Indigo Prophecy also has heavy supernatural elements.

It's not really contemporary, but Shadowrun Returns is cyberpunk mixed with fantasy. Elves and trolls in bars and stuff. You might like it even though it's not modern day.

#11 Posted by Nodima (1198 posts) -

I never played it, but The Longest Journey is an adventure game that jumps back and forth between a modern industrial world and a high fantasy world.

#12 Posted by hans_maulwurf (122 posts) -

Well, there are the last gen Buffy-games. Alex considered them to be kinda good in his gamespot reviews I think. Also, hell yeah, Bloodlines. Play that if you haven't yet, play it again and again and again if you have, can't go wrong with that one.

#13 Posted by dudeglove (7829 posts) -

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines feels like it's set in the 90s, and a genuinely fat NPC.

Just be sure to download the mod that fixes a whole bunch of bugs.