Controllers + Sweaty hands

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JCTango

I know I'm probably gonna get laughed at for asking this, but it's a legitimate question:

If you have sweaty hands, how do you protect your controllers from getting mucky?

I used to have an xbox 360 controller that I'd use for the computer - my hands would get sweaty after a while. After many years the controller knobs deterioriated :(.

Now I wear cloth gloves while I play - I just wash them afterwards.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Stick caps, I guess. That's what I use on my controllers when I have friends with sweaty palms over for gaming sessions. I mostly worry about the sticks, especially when it comes to the DS4 controllers, because I have early models. You could also get silicon covers, but those won't protect the buttons.

I wonder whether your solution is the most cost effective, though. If you play often, won't you end up spending more on extra water/detergent for washing your gloves - which will also wear out at some point - compared to just getting a new controller every few (or many, as you say) years?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

"Many years" meaning how long? Because that sounds pretty normal for the 360's stick rubber.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAHAH you wear gloves while you play?!? That is awesome!

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More badass if they are like some rad leather driving gloves.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

@jctango I got you back. What you want is cotton half finger gloves. The cotton wicks up moisture and the half fingers means you have all the sensitivity of your fingers on the buttons.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is slowly diving into a dark crevice of the internet I never knew existed.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half finger gloves. I haven't decided of I'm going to get the surgery to stop my palmer hyperhidrosis

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I used to own this stupid third party 360 "Aerocool" controller with exhaust fans and vents that cooled your hands while you played.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JCTango

Maaan.

I totally thought I deleted this thread out of embarassment lol. Guess it didn't go through.

@volemaulder: So far just washing the gloves I wear every now and then is pretty cost effective - they do break down but they're also kinda cheap to replace. Like you, it's the sticks that worry me. Damn sweaty hands!!!

@shagge: my old 360 controller knobs started to break down from use after about a couple of years. Dunno why I said many years lol. Didn't realize they wouuld break down so quick

@edgekasey said:
@ericjasonwade said:

More badass if they are like some rad leather driving gloves.

I totally thought about doing this.

@skullpanda1: @monkeyking1969: I don't know if half-finger gloves would help me :( It's the controller's sticks that seem to wear out from the sweat interacting with the rubber. I wear cotton gloves while playing though xD

@dgtlty: I remember seeing products like this before on the shelves - I don't see them anymore (at least at brick & mortar stores) - do they work well?

I guess I should add that I've seriously thought about wrapping up my controllers in some sort of latex (yes, like a condom ._.) but not only would this look really weird, I think it might interact with the controls when I don't want it to

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By volemaulder

@jctango said:

I guess I should add that I've seriously thought about wrapping up my controllers in some sort of latex (yes, like a condom ._.) but not only would this look really weird, I think it might interact with the controls when I don't want it to

Hahaha this is hilarious and genius at the same time :D

Anyway, if sticks are your main concern, these have been working fine for me so far. They fit reasonably well and stay on, unless you tend to beat the hell out of the controller.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the best route to go down would be to replace the sticks/buttons every few months. They're super cheap and it's an easy job.

My Dualshock 4 was one of the models which had problems with the coating coming off the thumbsticks so I spent a few quid and now it looks like this:

No Caption Provided

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@jctango said:

Maaan.

I totally thought I deleted this thread out of embarassment lol. Guess it didn't go through.

I totally thought about doing this.

@skullpanda1: @monkeyking1969: I don't know if half-finger gloves would help me :( It's the controller's sticks that seem to wear out from the sweat interacting with the rubber. I wear cotton gloves while playing though xD

No Caption Provided

Oh, in that case I think the laboratory testing community has your back yet again. Look into finger cots. In medical testing, we use them to protect our fingers....gloves do get sweaty and sometimes you just need to protect "the tips". They come in latex and cotton, and also come in colors.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

I used to own this stupid third party 360 "Aerocool" controller with exhaust fans and vents that cooled your hands while you played.

I had the same thing but for my PS2, it worked surprisingly well.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have magic hands that never sweat.

Like seriously, it's great over here.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: :D Ahh! Dunno why I haven't thought of this one before. Thanks for this heads up - I've seen some cashiers use those before - not sure where you get em.. I'll look em up! :D

Huntin 4 Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Huntin 4 Games

I've been more and more worried about this lately haha, especially since i set up some streaming in front of the elliptical. Hands get super sweaty running on that, definitely worried about the controllers

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8