Controllers v. Mouse and Keyboard Game Suggestions?

Silverbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Silverbrand

Age old question. It's been discussed back and forth for years. Everyone has an answer and most people are die hard about it. What games do you suggest to someone to get them to switch, despite their trepidation?

Say you swear by the keyboard and mouse. No aim assist for you! You like the responsiveness, the way your whole hand is used to make finite adjustments to your POV to get shit done and get it done fast. Your friend swears on the controller. Says it's easier with that one thumb, you just need to get used to it. Scoffing and harumphs all around, my good man! I dare say your cognitive faculties are in question.

Arguing never works. So you suggest some games. If you, Mr. Computer FPS player, would just open your mind a bit and play <blank> then with a little practice, we'll be jeering and inventing new swear words on voice chat the likes of which no pre-pubsecent manchild has ever heard before! Perhaps involving their mothers and their questionable reproductive practices.

Nah, says your friend. Your controller is indeed the inferior mechanical construct! Why, you are so used to the game assisting your lack of precision that you wouldn't know a headshot from a hole in the wall. These games right over HERE are more than adequate for your faulty bravado! Why, in time, you'll be asking why the good people at Mr. and Mrs. Goodtime Console Fun Shooter Co. have not come out with some sort of connection valve or steam driven macguffin to facilitate your newfound desires for the mouse and keyboard.

....so what games do you suggest for the easing of transition between the two for someone that wants to try using a controller or a keyboard and mouse when they are used to their existing preference? Or are these two doomed to be separate schools of thought and play?

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGremp

It's not that I don't want to "transition" to a controller, because I probably use controllers in FPS games more than I play with a mouse.  It's not really a matter of getting used to a controller, it's a matter of my undying love for PC shooters, and the superior precision of the mouse.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hunkulese

There's a pretty easy answer to this question. Use a mouse for anything on a pc and a controller for any console game. If you absolutely need some games that a controller works alright with on a pc go for the console games that have been ported to PC. Bioshock works fine with a controller and I'd imagine Borderlands wouldn't be that bad.

Silverbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Silverbrand
@Hunkulese said:
" ... Use a mouse for anything on a pc and a controller for any console game. ... "
I meant more like...well, I suppose it works better going from PC to console as an example, but lets say you really like game X on the PC. It is also available for a console. You enjoy playing game X on the PC, but most of your friends play it on the console. What do you do when you WANT to get better at using the controller for this game?
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne
@Silverbrand said:
" @Hunkulese said:
" ... Use a mouse for anything on a pc and a controller for any console game. ... "
I meant more like...well, I suppose it works better going from PC to console as an example, but lets say you really like game X on the PC. It is also available for a console. You enjoy playing game X on the PC, but most of your friends play it on the console. What do you do when you WANT to get better at using the controller for this game? "
Play the game.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Bombs_Away

I never got what people were on about when they moaned about lack of response and precision with a controller. I never use aim-assist but head shots still come easy. It's all about practice and skill, once you're used to the controller it's just as good as a mouse and keyboard, if not better.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
@Silverbrand: you play the game? 

I'm a hard core avid of the mouse and keyboard but when i want to play MW2 on my xbox 360 i got no problem getting that nuke. 

all a matter of practise.
Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Talesavo
@Bombs_Away said:

" I never got what people were on about when they moaned about lack of response and precision with a controller. I never use aim-assist but head shots still come easy. It's all about practice and skill, once you're used to the controller it's just as good as a mouse and keyboard, if not better. "

LULZ...I wish there was the ability for PC gamers to go up against Console gamers in the same game(MW2/BC2/Halo). The amount of crying that would occur when a K&B controlled character would dominate the controller crowd would be ear-splitting. What a delusional statement.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jadeskye
@Talesavo said:
" @Bombs_Away said:

" I never got what people were on about when they moaned about lack of response and precision with a controller. I never use aim-assist but head shots still come easy. It's all about practice and skill, once you're used to the controller it's just as good as a mouse and keyboard, if not better. "

LULZ...I wish there was the ability for PC gamers to go up against Console gamers in the same game(MW2/BC2/Halo). The amount of crying that would occur when a K&B controlled character would dominate the controller crowd would be ear-splitting. What a delusional statement. "
lol Delusional probably not. just inexperienced. K&B would demolish a controller crowd.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bombs_Away
@jadeskye:@Talesavo: lol... BRING IT ON BITCHES!!!
Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Talesavo

haha, poor you.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august
@Bombs_Away said:
This is objectively incorrect. The input of resolution of a controller is tiny compared to a mouse.

Also, even when you turn off "auto-aim" on any given console game, there's still some subtle aim assist.
 fps with a controller is fun and all, but let's not say the potential for accuracy for both is the same, because they're very far apart.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By animateria

Mouse and Keyboard is superior.

I still enjoy FPSes on my consoles as well.

FRIEZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FRIEZA

Mouses have better aim... thats just my opinion but that doesnt mean i dont play mw2 on ps3 either xD AND fighters dominate on the consoles and fail on PC...yup i said it 0.o
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skytylz

A game that controls better with a contoller is mirror's edge.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

keyboard is so much better. u can customize the button layout the way u want it to be.

racing games are good for controllers, FPS for keyboard,

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By JoelTGM

If I had a friend who said a gamepad was better than a mouse and keyboard, I'd tell him he's wrong and buy him a proper mouse.  There isn't really any transitional game to play.  Just play some singleplayer shooters maybe?  If you play online against players who are much better than you, so if you can't use a mouse and everyone else can, you won't learn anything and just get frustrated.  So practice against bots. 

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By project343

Controllers. I want them for everything. I'm an avid fan of console game design: streamline design, unify hardware, remove the hotkey gap, and matchmake players.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By captain_clayman

i like FPS's on PC more. 
i always sucked at FPS's and i never knew why, but then i tried them on pc and it was like: 
"A WHOLE NEW WOOOOORLD!" 

seriously, it felt so much more precise, i wasn't accidentally shooting left and right of the target multiple times before hitting it.  it REALLY is better to use your whole hand instead of just your thumb.  it feels so much more natural, and having both firing, iron sights and melee in one hand makes it feel much more organized.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93

TTTTTTTT 
FFFFFFFF 

I say this to anyone who wants to play a PC game.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Fudgeblood
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" TTTTTTTT FFFFFFFF 22222222  I say this to anyone who wants to play a PC game. "
Oh god yes.

Pretty much any Valve game is good if you want to play a 'real' PC game, Unreal Tournament 2k4 too.