#1 Posted by tornadogamer38 (2 posts) -

Got the Samsung Galaxy S4. Anybody know of any cool games that have come out recently for Android?

#2 Posted by BBAlpert (1490 posts) -
#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei, for some reason.

#4 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Super Hexagon has been my go-to on the train lately. So addicting.

#5 Edited by fisk0 (4168 posts) -

Carmageddon and Re-Volt, both classic PC racing games, work surprisingly well on the touch screen.

McPixel is also recommended, of course.

For the most part, I'd recommend you look out for Humble Android Bundles.

#6 Posted by fisk0 (4168 posts) -

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but that game is near unplayable on my Galaxy Note.

#7 Edited by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

10000000 is probably my favorite thing I've played on this tablet I have. There is a quick look of it. Knights of Pen and Paper is also kinda cool. I've wanted to play The Room ever since I saw the quick look, but it's not compatible with my tablet, so I can't really say if it's good or not.

#8 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@jjweatherman said:

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but that game is near unplayable on my Galaxy Note.

How so? Input lag or something?

#9 Edited by fisk0 (4168 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@jjweatherman said:

Doesn't feel like it, but the control mapping doesn't make any sense, inverted and overly sensitive to the point that I don't have any control at all with the touchscreen. It plays fine with the arrow keys on my PC though, so it doesn't seem like it's a design decision ... just that it doesn't work very well it a(/that) touch screen. Feels like something that could be great on the Vita or 3DS though.

#10 Edited by Zelyre (1208 posts) -

Do you ride your bike or walk a lot? If so, I was recently introduced to an ARG called Ingress. It's currently invite only, but the premise is you're part of two teams. There are access points placed in the world that you hack. Members of the opposing faction can attack nodes you've placed and you can fortify your own nodes by adding shields and linking them with other nodes. You get resources for hacking by walking/riding around.

Spaceteam just came out on Android.

Dev Story

#11 Posted by Revolution21X (2 posts) -

My current favorite is a game called Fangz. A side scrolling vampire shooter with upgrades/leveling and a weird sense of humor. Combo Crew is also growing on me.

#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@jjweatherman said:

@fisk0 said:

@jjweatherman said:

Doesn't feel like it, but the control mapping doesn't make any sense, inverted and overly sensitive to the point that I don't have any control at all with the touchscreen. It plays fine with the arrow keys on my PC though, so it doesn't seem like it's a design decision ... just that it doesn't work very well it a(/that) touch screen. Feels like something that could be great on the Vita or 3DS though.

Maybe it's just a mindset thing? I don't really know if I understand. You're just hitting the left side of the screen to rotate counterclockwise, and the right side to rotate clockwise. It's definitely sensitive, but you need that sensitivity to handle what the game throws at you. I think it's just a matter of adapting.

I tried playing on PC earlier and I found that it was a little tougher with the throw of physical keys. Something like the shoulder buttons on a Vita would almost certainly work well. Lots of people who play on PC claim the 360 controller and its shoulder buttons are the way to go.

But yeah, I actually prefer my phone's touch screen. Zero input lag, and zero throw. Works well for me.

#13 Posted by Belegorm (414 posts) -

Tetris. Literally all I play is the Android version of Tetris, and it's quite serviceable. Seems to cap out at 150 rows for some reason, but I just keep on playing it whenever I'm bored and doing something else.

#14 Posted by Moth_Pope (455 posts) -

Depends what you're into, but I have New Star Soccer (usually known as NSS) on my phone and it's all I play. Keeps me completely hooked.

As a quick aside -- how is the Galaxy S4? I have a free phone upgrade from August 1st and that's the top one on my list. Recommended? Suppose it might be a bit early to tell if you've only just got it. Cheers.

#15 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -
#17 Edited by dustinperolio2 (1 posts) -

Whhoops

#18 Edited by onarum (2109 posts) -

I Have like 30 games on my SIII.. I maybe play 5 or 10 of them with any frequency.. basically any game that needs some sort of finer level of control sucks on a phone, but there are lots of great games for android out there

Cook, Serve, Delicious! came out on android and it plays great on a touch screen

God of Blades was fairly nice as well, I liked it a lot, only swipes required, kinda short though.

in case you haven't played it yet HoMM: Clash of Heroes is a fantastic game, plays great on a touch screen as well

Pixel Dungeon is a very nice free roguelike.

Carmageddon being a racing game doesn't control all that great, but it's a fantastic port, I enjoy playing it on my phone a lot.

I also play Eufloria a lot, The Room is pretty neat, anyway, there are lots.