#1 Posted by stoneman (10 posts) -

Cutman's stage is actually the easiest stage in Megaman 1, but I don't think a kid today can do it.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by mnzy (2925 posts) -

How old would that kid be? It definately could, bt if it's trained to todays videogames, it will probably give up.

#3 Posted by stoneman (10 posts) -
@mnzy said:
How old would that kid be? It definately could, bt if it's trained to todays videogames, it will probably give up.

below 18
#4 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I could when I was a kid. Nowadays? I just don't have the energy for Mega Man.

#5 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

None of the kids had managed it yet when I filled their water dishes in the basement today

#6 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

Someone needs to do some statistics research on this.  What rough percentage of today's kids can beat kids games of old?  How many can beat the likes of Zelda 1, Megaman or Metroid?

#7 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

The most important part of beating old games is taking the time to die over and over again until you learn all of it.  Kids got time.

#8 Edited by stoneman (10 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:

Someone needs to do some statistics research on this.  What rough percentage of today's kids can beat kids games of old?  How many can beat the likes of Zelda 1, Megaman or Metroid?

megaman wasn't even the hardest, nor was battletoads. I don't why people today are always saying battletoads is so hard anyway, it was a piece of cake when I was a kid.

#9 Posted by mnzy (2925 posts) -
@TeflonBilly said:
None of the kids had managed it yet when I filled their water dishes in the basement today
Try giving Red Bull.
#10 Posted by stoneman (10 posts) -
@mnzy said:
@TeflonBilly said:
Try giving Red Bull.

hey! this isn't megaman 6!
#11 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -
@Quacktastic: But do they have the patience? DO THEY?
#12 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

The majority couldn't....hell even Jeff failed at Mega Man 9 so I doubt he could.

#13 Posted by craigbo180 (1726 posts) -

There would be plenty of kids that could.

#14 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

A kid who grew up in the PS2 era - Absolutely no chance.

#15 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

Sniffing yet another nostalgia thread here...

#16 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -
@stoneman said:
@ShiftyMagician said:

megaman wasn't even the hardest, nor was battletoads. I don't why people today are always saying battletoads is so hard anyway, it was a piece of cake when I was a kid.

I agree with you on that, however not everyone has the patience or ability to beat said games.  Unfortunately, it seems like there will be an increasing amount of people that will fall under such a category so long as developers continue to simplify their games to maximise an audience to cover their continually rising development costs.  However I say 'it seems' as expanding the audience with accessibility naturally brings in people who likely haven't played games before or are not interested in trying to get skillful in their areas of interest.
#17 Posted by Aishan (1023 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
It's more a "games are so easy these days!" thread. Which is always fun.
#18 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -
@Aishan said:
@imsh_pl said:
Yeah these are always great too.
#19 Posted by stoneman (10 posts) -
@Aishan said:
@imsh_pl said:

whoa, I never said games today are easy, I just said that games considered "hard" today like Battletoads were "normal" back then.

Maybe it's screwattack or some organization saying they were hard, `cause they really weren't.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I have never touched a Mega Man game, but I reccently went back played Super Mario Bros (Wii All Stars Version) and that game is hella hard. Its not that that game is much harder than say New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's just not as forgiving. For instance when you get hit wearing the fire flower you go down to little Mario, where as in modern day Mario he just goes to big Mario. Especially around the last few stages in Super Mario Bros theres like one or two Mushrooms across the whole course. A child would not be-able to beat that game, they would not have the pateince and it would make them chuck there controller at the TV. Game's are not designed to be difficult anymore, rather a rollercoster.

#21 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -
@Aishan
@imsh_pl said:
I'm an old man, but I take it's as more of a "why did they make games so hard" thread.
#22 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (436 posts) -

I was fairly sure Battletoads was always hard, even back then.  I can't get any further in that game now then I did when I was younger.  When we were kids we just didn't think about games critically the way we do now.  So battletoads seemed "normal" because we didn't know any better.

#23 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
@Aishan
@imsh_pl said:
I'm an old man, but I take it's as more of a "why did they make games so hard" thread.
Well I miss it, not as extreme as the Nes games of course, but difficulty is still important for me to feel I'm playing a game.
You know the Super Guide Nintendo has been putting in their games lately, yeah, more games should have that.
#24 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -
@thehuntsmen5434
I was fairly sure Battletoads was always hard, even back then.  I can't get any further in that game now then I did when I was younger.  When we were kids we just didn't think about games critically the way we do now.  So battletoads seemed "normal" because we didn't know any better.
There is no doubt. Battletoads was hard.
#25 Posted by ClamFTW (42 posts) -

One thing to remember is that there were few options for hints and tips available even via retail means back in the early NES era. You had the Nintendo Tip Line and Nintendo Power and that older kid who lived down the street from you who had a code for Metroid right before Mother Brain. Nowadays every game seems to ship with a strategy guide or has a FAQ up within 24 hours of launch, and the flow of information over the net (not to mention purchaseable cheat code unlocks) can help anyone triangulate a game more quickly regardless of age.

Now to answer the OP - no, an 8 year old would get lit up by Mega Man in this day and age especially since that game didn't have passwords (right?) to save progress.

#26 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -
I think the thing that made the old games so difficult compared to modern games is the lack of a save.
#27 Posted by Aishan (1023 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
@Aishan
@imsh_pl said:
Well that's simple enough. Firstly, lots of early console games were designed with the Arcade-style quarter-eating mindset. It didn't matter that this no sense for home machines, it's just how it was. Secondly, the majority of the games just didn't have that much content. People complain about "short" games these days being 4-hours or so, but back you were lucky to get an hour's worth of content out of most games back then. In order to make them last, they had to make them hard in a way that, more often that not, meant players ended up redoing content over and over.
#28 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

Today's games are easy but that doesn't mean the kids playing them are less competent, my 6 year old nephew beat me in SSF4 last time we played.

#29 Posted by DirtyEagles (277 posts) -

i think the better question is would they want to?

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Depends. If they have already been brain washed by todays video game conventions then I think it would take them a lot longer. If you keep them in a time capsule and only let them play old games then sure.

#31 Edited by Chocobodude3 (643 posts) -

I got through cutman's stage when i was in middle school when I played the Megaman  Collection on the ps2

#32 Posted by Brendan (8136 posts) -

It's more of a patience thing than a difficulty thing, because most kids these days are used to continually progressing through a game rather than going through the same part over and over again.

#33 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

I don't understand the nostalgia for these old games.  The recent MK release should serve as a reminder and put a damper on this as bosses were generally cheap as fuck, levels were ridiculously repetitive with repeated deaths requiring playthrough over and over which made the games more frustrating than fun.  

#34 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I'm fairly certain Battletoads was hard as hell back in the day too. Hence why it's so legendary now. If it was "normal" back then it would never have gotten its reputation for being hard.

#35 Posted by NoelVeiga (1115 posts) -

A kid can definitely beat any stage in Megaman. Me, however, who used to be able to do that, I'm not so sure.

What do kids have that I don't? Well, a restricted amount of videogames and a ton of spare time. These days I am in a hurry and when a game mildly annoys me I buy a new one. Kids get a couple of games a year and have to make do, which makes annoying games that much more palatable.
#36 Posted by CodyMetro (93 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
A kid who grew up in the PS2 era - Absolutely no chance.
#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Yes, a kid probably could get through Cut Man's stage in the original Mega Man. Of course, it's probably not a good idea to start with Cut Man, but it's still possible.

#38 Posted by Mesklinite (816 posts) -
@stoneman said:
@ShiftyMagician said:

The first ninja turtle game.
#39 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

Probably not but I doubt they would want to.

#40 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i don't think so. i'm playing emulated ninja turtles game because i felt like it and i can't get past one part. i was always stuck there when i was smaller too.

#41 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

No, because there's no one to call "Faggot" through the level

#42 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

if you're patient then yeah.  but most kids games are extremely easy these days.

#43 Posted by PenguinDust (12629 posts) -

Sure, tell a kid today they'll only get two games a year (one for their birthday and one for Christmas/Hanukkah) and they'll play the hell out of those games.  At least that's how it was when I was a kid.  So, if Megaman 1 is one of those two games and the holidays are still 7 months away, I think they might make get through the game.  

#44 Posted by Kiemoe (1058 posts) -

When I have a child, he WILL be able to beat mega man. Or he will no longer be my son.

#45 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -
@Kiemoe said:
When I have a child, he WILL be able to beat mega man. Or he will no longer be my son.

This.

I think any kid, or anyone for that matter can beat any stage in Mega Man, or even most NES games if they had the patience to do so. It's all trial and error. I never played much of the first one as a kid (I've beaten it since,) but I spent hours playing 2 and 3 to a point where I pretty much memorized them. That's because those were the games I had that I hadn't beaten at the time, so I played the heck out of them.

#46 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Kids are awesome at anything they put their minds to.  So yes, they could.

#47 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

Sure.  The only reason we beat it as kids was because we kept at it and we had nothing else to play.  I don't see why it would be any different for a kid now with similar circumstances.  It's not like kids are different now or anything weird like that.

#48 Posted by harvey_the_pooka (271 posts) -

No. I think for the sake of Science and in honor of GlaDOS I will let my 10 year sold play Mega Man 3 tonight on my NES.

You know for science...
#49 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -
@TeflonBilly said:
Hahahaha! Oh God i lol'd hard at that!