Could a kid today get through Cutman's Stage in Megaman 1

stoneman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By stoneman

Cutman's stage is actually the easiest stage in Megaman 1, but I don't think a kid today can do it.

What do you think?

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mnzy

How old would that kid be? It definately could, bt if it's trained to todays videogames, it will probably give up.

stoneman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stoneman
@mnzy said:
How old would that kid be? It definately could, bt if it's trained to todays videogames, it will probably give up.

below 18
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

I could when I was a kid. Nowadays? I just don't have the energy for Mega Man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the kids had managed it yet when I filled their water dishes in the basement today

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shiftymagician

Someone needs to do some statistics research on this.  What rough percentage of today's kids can beat kids games of old?  How many can beat the likes of Zelda 1, Megaman or Metroid?

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quacktastic

The most important part of beating old games is taking the time to die over and over again until you learn all of it.  Kids got time.

stoneman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stoneman
@ShiftyMagician said:

Someone needs to do some statistics research on this.  What rough percentage of today's kids can beat kids games of old?  How many can beat the likes of Zelda 1, Megaman or Metroid?

megaman wasn't even the hardest, nor was battletoads. I don't why people today are always saying battletoads is so hard anyway, it was a piece of cake when I was a kid.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mnzy
@TeflonBilly said:
None of the kids had managed it yet when I filled their water dishes in the basement today
Try giving Red Bull.
stoneman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stoneman
@mnzy said:
@TeflonBilly said:
Try giving Red Bull.

hey! this isn't megaman 6!
CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CarpetRemnant
@Quacktastic: But do they have the patience? DO THEY?
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karl_Boss

The majority couldn't....hell even Jeff failed at Mega Man 9 so I doubt he could.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By craigbo180

There would be plenty of kids that could.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ventilaator

A kid who grew up in the PS2 era - Absolutely no chance.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By imsh_pl

Sniffing yet another nostalgia thread here...

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shiftymagician
@stoneman said:
@ShiftyMagician said:

megaman wasn't even the hardest, nor was battletoads. I don't why people today are always saying battletoads is so hard anyway, it was a piece of cake when I was a kid.

I agree with you on that, however not everyone has the patience or ability to beat said games.  Unfortunately, it seems like there will be an increasing amount of people that will fall under such a category so long as developers continue to simplify their games to maximise an audience to cover their continually rising development costs.  However I say 'it seems' as expanding the audience with accessibility naturally brings in people who likely haven't played games before or are not interested in trying to get skillful in their areas of interest.
Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aishan
@imsh_pl said:
It's more a "games are so easy these days!" thread. Which is always fun.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By imsh_pl
@Aishan said:
@imsh_pl said:
Yeah these are always great too.
stoneman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stoneman
@Aishan said:
@imsh_pl said:

whoa, I never said games today are easy, I just said that games considered "hard" today like Battletoads were "normal" back then.

Maybe it's screwattack or some organization saying they were hard, `cause they really weren't.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Hizang

I have never touched a Mega Man game, but I reccently went back played Super Mario Bros (Wii All Stars Version) and that game is hella hard. Its not that that game is much harder than say New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's just not as forgiving. For instance when you get hit wearing the fire flower you go down to little Mario, where as in modern day Mario he just goes to big Mario. Especially around the last few stages in Super Mario Bros theres like one or two Mushrooms across the whole course. A child would not be-able to beat that game, they would not have the pateince and it would make them chuck there controller at the TV. Game's are not designed to be difficult anymore, rather a rollercoster.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yakov456
@Aishan
@imsh_pl said:
I'm an old man, but I take it's as more of a "why did they make games so hard" thread.
Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

I was fairly sure Battletoads was always hard, even back then.  I can't get any further in that game now then I did when I was younger.  When we were kids we just didn't think about games critically the way we do now.  So battletoads seemed "normal" because we didn't know any better.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Kjellm87
@yakov456 said:
@Aishan
@imsh_pl said:
I'm an old man, but I take it's as more of a "why did they make games so hard" thread.
Well I miss it, not as extreme as the Nes games of course, but difficulty is still important for me to feel I'm playing a game.
You know the Super Guide Nintendo has been putting in their games lately, yeah, more games should have that.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yakov456
@thehuntsmen5434
I was fairly sure Battletoads was always hard, even back then.  I can't get any further in that game now then I did when I was younger.  When we were kids we just didn't think about games critically the way we do now.  So battletoads seemed "normal" because we didn't know any better.
There is no doubt. Battletoads was hard.
ClamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ClamFTW

One thing to remember is that there were few options for hints and tips available even via retail means back in the early NES era. You had the Nintendo Tip Line and Nintendo Power and that older kid who lived down the street from you who had a code for Metroid right before Mother Brain. Nowadays every game seems to ship with a strategy guide or has a FAQ up within 24 hours of launch, and the flow of information over the net (not to mention purchaseable cheat code unlocks) can help anyone triangulate a game more quickly regardless of age.

Now to answer the OP - no, an 8 year old would get lit up by Mega Man in this day and age especially since that game didn't have passwords (right?) to save progress.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By laserbolts
I think the thing that made the old games so difficult compared to modern games is the lack of a save.
Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aishan
@yakov456 said:
@Aishan
@imsh_pl said:
Well that's simple enough. Firstly, lots of early console games were designed with the Arcade-style quarter-eating mindset. It didn't matter that this no sense for home machines, it's just how it was. Secondly, the majority of the games just didn't have that much content. People complain about "short" games these days being 4-hours or so, but back you were lucky to get an hour's worth of content out of most games back then. In order to make them last, they had to make them hard in a way that, more often that not, meant players ended up redoing content over and over.
jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Today's games are easy but that doesn't mean the kids playing them are less competent, my 6 year old nephew beat me in SSF4 last time we played.

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By DirtyEagles

i think the better question is would they want to?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By crusader8463

Depends. If they have already been brain washed by todays video game conventions then I think it would take them a lot longer. If you keep them in a time capsule and only let them play old games then sure.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Chocobodude3

I got through cutman's stage when i was in middle school when I played the Megaman  Collection on the ps2

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Brendan

It's more of a patience thing than a difficulty thing, because most kids these days are used to continually progressing through a game rather than going through the same part over and over again.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ninjakiller

I don't understand the nostalgia for these old games.  The recent MK release should serve as a reminder and put a damper on this as bosses were generally cheap as fuck, levels were ridiculously repetitive with repeated deaths requiring playthrough over and over which made the games more frustrating than fun.  

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm fairly certain Battletoads was hard as hell back in the day too. Hence why it's so legendary now. If it was "normal" back then it would never have gotten its reputation for being hard.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By MudMan

A kid can definitely beat any stage in Megaman. Me, however, who used to be able to do that, I'm not so sure.

What do kids have that I don't? Well, a restricted amount of videogames and a ton of spare time. These days I am in a hurry and when a game mildly annoys me I buy a new one. Kids get a couple of games a year and have to make do, which makes annoying games that much more palatable.
CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CodyMetro
@Ventilaator said:
A kid who grew up in the PS2 era - Absolutely no chance.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes, a kid probably could get through Cut Man's stage in the original Mega Man. Of course, it's probably not a good idea to start with Cut Man, but it's still possible.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mesklinite
@stoneman said:
@ShiftyMagician said:

The first ninja turtle game.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By EuanDewar

Probably not but I doubt they would want to.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iam3green

i don't think so. i'm playing emulated ninja turtles game because i felt like it and i can't get past one part. i was always stuck there when i was smaller too.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidSwords

No, because there's no one to call "Faggot" through the level

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By captain_clayman

if you're patient then yeah.  but most kids games are extremely easy these days.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By penguindust

Sure, tell a kid today they'll only get two games a year (one for their birthday and one for Christmas/Hanukkah) and they'll play the hell out of those games.  At least that's how it was when I was a kid.  So, if Megaman 1 is one of those two games and the holidays are still 7 months away, I think they might make get through the game.  

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kiemoe

When I have a child, he WILL be able to beat mega man. Or he will no longer be my son.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kiemoe said:
When I have a child, he WILL be able to beat mega man. Or he will no longer be my son.

This.

I think any kid, or anyone for that matter can beat any stage in Mega Man, or even most NES games if they had the patience to do so. It's all trial and error. I never played much of the first one as a kid (I've beaten it since,) but I spent hours playing 2 and 3 to a point where I pretty much memorized them. That's because those were the games I had that I hadn't beaten at the time, so I played the heck out of them.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By skrutop

Kids are awesome at anything they put their minds to.  So yes, they could.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By JasonR86

Sure.  The only reason we beat it as kids was because we kept at it and we had nothing else to play.  I don't see why it would be any different for a kid now with similar circumstances.  It's not like kids are different now or anything weird like that.

Avatar image for harvey_the_pooka
harvey_the_pooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By harvey_the_pooka

No. I think for the sake of Science and in honor of GlaDOS I will let my 10 year sold play Mega Man 3 tonight on my NES.

You know for science...
UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By UncleClassy
@TeflonBilly said:
Hahahaha! Oh God i lol'd hard at that!