Could Tetris be the greatest game concept of all time?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Edited By damswedon

lately Ive been looking at what makes a game good and what propels them to greatness, and i think I've found the greatest game of all time. It was hard and i had to push aside some of the greatest games, but i came to one conclusion, Tetris.
I took a list of the giants of video games and cut them down to the games that could be repeated over & over on any system and still be good. i did this because the greatest game shouldn't be held back by time, it should be timeless.
i got down to:

• Pong
  • Tetris
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Super Mario Brothers

But as i hope you can see, these are in their most pure form

• Pong = hit ball back & forth
  • Tetris = Drop blocks clear rows
  • Zelda = run around solve puzzles
  • Mario = run from side to side & jump

But then i asked myself; If i asked 20 random people in the street, what is the last level / dungeon like in those games. would i likely get an answer for a Mario game or Legend of Zelda. The answer would be most likely be NO.
Now this may be where results may vary but threw out my life I've know people who adamently hate video games, this is based on the Outside media's view of games. But I've asked many of them if they have ever played Tetris and many have and they liked it.
using those peoples views and some of my own reason i have come to believe that Tetris is the greatest game of all time.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By damswedon

lately Ive been looking at what makes a game good and what propels them to greatness, and i think I've found the greatest game of all time. It was hard and i had to push aside some of the greatest games, but i came to one conclusion, Tetris.
I took a list of the giants of video games and cut them down to the games that could be repeated over & over on any system and still be good. i did this because the greatest game shouldn't be held back by time, it should be timeless.
i got down to:

• Pong
  • Tetris
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Super Mario Brothers

But as i hope you can see, these are in their most pure form

• Pong = hit ball back & forth
  • Tetris = Drop blocks clear rows
  • Zelda = run around solve puzzles
  • Mario = run from side to side & jump

But then i asked myself; If i asked 20 random people in the street, what is the last level / dungeon like in those games. would i likely get an answer for a Mario game or Legend of Zelda. The answer would be most likely be NO.
Now this may be where results may vary but threw out my life I've know people who adamently hate video games, this is based on the Outside media's view of games. But I've asked many of them if they have ever played Tetris and many have and they liked it.
using those peoples views and some of my own reason i have come to believe that Tetris is the greatest game of all time.

Cuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cuddy

only concept that are timeless of those are Tetris and Pong. they are simple and everyone can get in to and respect those games... then again that is my opinion

people that hate videogames might find themselves sitting down with their phone on the trainstation being bored and try out tetris... they usually get hooked for a little while
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't know about having the greatest game concept... perhaps it does, but I do know that Tetris is one of the greatest games ever made.