Could you go back to the way it used to be?

• 101 results
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ShadowSkill11

You know. Could you go back to gaming without a nice HDTV and surround sound? Or are you like me and have become so addicted to it's gaming goodness you could never go back to the old ways from when you were poor, didn't know any better, or were just a kid?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Animasta

I don't have surround sound and my "nice HDTV" is a 18" monitor so...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

I played my ps2 on friday on a 16" tv

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Could you go back to gaming without a nice HDTV and surround sound?

I don't have either :|.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Kandycane2029

If I'm playing on an older console, yes.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadowSkill11

It looks like I should have made a poll for people this topic doesn't apply to:

A. Too poor

B. Don't know any better/Only own a Wii

C. I'm just a kid and have no/very little income

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Animasta

@ShadowSkill11: YEAH FUCK YOU POORS

I could play my 360 on a 50" HDTV I just prefer it in my room, there's no reason why the game will be better at 50" than it will at 18"

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

D. ShadowSkill11 is a condescending jerk

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@Video_Game_King Some king you are!

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Animasta said:

I could play my 360 on a 50" HDTV I just prefer it in my room, there's no reason why the game will be better at 50" than it will at 18"

I'll put you down under...

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DeF

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

A & B are almost the same

a Wii greatly benefits from an HDTV and surround sound as well^^

that said, I could go back since I still play lots of old games on PC, consoles and handhelds and even keep my old CRT around for nostalgic SNES/N64 sessions (HDTVs don't do the N64 any favors..)

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@DeF said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

that said, I could go back since I still play lots of old games on PC, consoles and handhelds and even keep my old CRT around for nostalgic SNES/N64 sessions (HDTVs don't do the N64 any favors..)

Sort of. The wee supports Pro-logic surround which is basically just stereo on 4 speakers. It also only goes to 480p max which is not a high def resolution. I suppose greatly is subjective but it does not benefit nearly as much as gaming on a hdtv with a ps3, 360, or pc That all use 5.1/7.1 DTS/Dolby Digital.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@Animasta said:

I'll put you down under...

dispute my point? how does having a higher resolution make a game better?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14  Edited By Humanity

@CptBedlam said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

I'd go with D.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Animasta: It doesn't. It makes the experience of gaming itself better. Not the game.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By benspyda

I have surround sound but it doesn't seem to make that much difference for games as it does movies. But movies with surround sound are where its at.

But no HDTVs are a considerable improvement in fidelity for games so there is no need to go back (except for nostalgia reasons of course).

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By M_Shini

I have no HD'ness in my life, i just can't be bovered to go out and buy one and set it up im fine using a crappy old LCD tv from 2006 for my console's. For a PC mointer as long as it does 1920x1080 i'm fine no less than that though.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@CptBedlam said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

Oh, you. Don't get but hurt on my account. Next time I'll lube up my words for you and include:

D) I'm offended by "Don't know any better" I just really like gaming on small computer monitors with built in speakers.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FritzDude

You mean going back to 2 tons picturetubes that does more damage to your back than your eyes with mono sound and 4:3 image ratio? No thank you. However if I want to play on a old console - HDTV would be even worse to play on without the right equipment. But seeing that this generation we see more remakes in high definition and classic games optimised for new imagery I don't see much reasons to go back other than nostaliga. But that is just my opinion anyway.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DeF

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@DeF said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

Sort of. The wee supports Pro-logic surround which is basically just stereo on 4 speakers. It also only goes to 480p max which is not a high def resolution. I suppose greatly is subjective but it does not benefit nearly as much as gaming on a hdtv with a ps3, 360, or pc That all use 5.1/7.1 DTS/Dolby Digital.

there's still a huge difference if I play an epic like Xenoblade or Skyward Sword on an old 4:3 CRT or on a nice HDTV with component cables, in 408p widescreen.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@DeF said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@DeF said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

there's still a huge difference if I play an epic like Xenoblade or Skyward Sword on an old 4:3 CRT or on a nice HDTV with component cables, in 408p widescreen.

What you should be doing is ripping the disc on your computer. Download the Dolphin emulator and play the game on your PC hooked up to your tv with it's internal resolution upscaled to 1080p. Like a human fucking being.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By SSully

If I had to obviously I could do it, but it really is a huge difference playing on an HDTV compared to an SDTV.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

You guys are all liven in the past, i hooked my ps3 to my new 3d-tv and you can suck it.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I'm am genuinely shocked so few people on this thread seem to have HDTV's. They've been sold for about a decade now and I haven't seen an SDTV even sold in a store for years. It makes me wonder about the circumstances people are in on Giantbomb if they don't have one...

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Dagbiker said:

You guys are all liven in the past, i hooked my ps3 to my new 3d-tv and you can suck it.

A 3dtv is still an HDTV. I have a 46" 3D Samsung HDTV, an older model Toshiba 37" HDTV, my laptop which supports HDMI in and out, and my Sony 3D Viewer which simulates a 750" 720p screen in 3D with surround sound.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tyxja

Gimme a screen, some games, and a console to make them go, and I'll make due.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I used to have surround sound but don't anymore, and my HDTV looks pretty nice but could be a lot better/bigger. So, probably. If games would stop making the font so small that you can only read them on HDTVs.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By DarthOrange

I only recently got an HDTV. Before that I was playing my PS3 on a small tube TV.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust

I don't care much about hd. the biggest reason to play hd is really the fact that in sd tvs some games become nigh unplayable in sd. Surround sound is nice, but dispensable.

Puddledive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Puddledive

I play on a.. I duno. 150" or something. But I can just as easily play on my little 27" PC monitor. I don't see why the size of the screen or surround sound would make a game more or less playable.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeF

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@DeF said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@DeF said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

What you should be doing is ripping the disc on your computer. Download the Dolphin emulator and play the game on your PC hooked up to your tv with it's internal resolution upscaled to 1080p. Like a human fucking being.

if there was a one-click option for all that mess so I didn't have to worry about the right disc drive to rip the disc, install the correct dolphin version for the respective game and then fiddle with the settings so it runs on my machine and doesn't crash then yea, totally ...

it's just too much of a hassle at this point. as pretty as the upscaling makes the games look ...it's just not worth it for me and my time-budget :)

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By upwarDBound

Other than the fact that some games are pretty much unplayable in SD, yes I could. HD is nice but it's really not the huge difference maker some people make it out to be. I own a 1080p Bravia just for the record.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lunar_Aura

yes I can game anywhere anytime while pretending not to be an AV snob (which I am btw)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic

A non-backlit keyboard, a generic microsoft mouse, a single, SD monitor, a cheap set of headphones/non-logitech speakers and a mediocre rig? I don't think so..

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By buzz_clik

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@Animasta: It doesn't. It makes the experience of gaming itself better. Not the game.

Nope, how good or bad the experience of gaming is depends on the person. There are plenty of twats out there with great rigs who bemoan bullshit nitpicking points on excellent games.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I grew up playing NES on a 13-inch screen. That was hot shit. 

Could I go back to it? In brief spurts, but it wouldn't consume as much of my free time as it does now.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By BaneFireLord

During the summer, I don't have a choice. Viva la 12" 1980s TV with component cable access through the VCR!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker said:

No, YOU are.  I hooked up my PS5 to my new 4D-TV so you can suck it
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Sooty

HD is a stupid term. I've been playing in a resolution higher than "HD" (let's say 'HD' automatically means 720P) since 1999.

1280x1024, Quake III. Bliss.

and yeah I could 'go back' to playing in SD. I already do when I play PS2 games. SD isn't actually that bad if you have a TV that doesn't suck. (plasma TVs handles SD content way better than LCDs do)

Some games are also just poorly designed and SD is considered an afterthought resulting in a lot of blur which is not necessarily because of the resolution alone, so that doesn't help when it comes to the perception of SD content.

@Jeust said:

I don't care much about hd. the biggest reason to play hd is really the fact that in sd tvs some games become nigh unplayable in sd. Surround sound is nice, but dispensable.

Once you've used a good sound system or headphones sound will become almost as important as the visuals. Actually more important in some cases.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm genuinely shocked that there are people on this site that are still playing in SD.

If you're playing a 360 or PS3 in 4:3 SD then you might as well be playing it in black and white.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ZenaxPure
@MysteriousBob said:

I'm genuinely shocked that there are people on this site that are still playing in SD.

Really? Honestly it doesn't surprise me too much, HDTVs only recently became cheap enough for a lot of people to buy which is probably why a lot of people on a video game site don't have one. There are exceptions obviously, but you can buy a lot of other stuff in place of a tv. If it came down to me buying a HDTV or a bunch of games I would probably always go with the games. 

That said to answer the main question... heck no I can't go back at this point. One of the big reasons being a lot of modern games are not playable on older tvs. The first 360 game I ever owned was Too Human and I beat the entire game on my old CRT and I could not read almost any of the text in the game.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dalai

I'm still using my bulky SDTV I bought about 10 years ago and it works just as well as it did back then. I have no reason to switch since I don't own a 360 or PS3. I'm thinking about moving to HD when I get my hands on the Wii U, but for now I'm happy with my standard TV and my laptop... which runs in HD.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WickedFather

Just finished playing Prince of Persia on the Wii on a 32" crt and it's shit loads better than anything on my 360 in high def because of this: it's fun.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By Deleth

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

Isn't it nice that mommy and daddy are paying for you? : )

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@ShadowConqueror said:
@Video_Game_King Some king you are!
A true king lives as his subjects, not his rich ass nobles and advisors, do.

Yeah I prefer food and payable bills over that much hardware.
My lil 22 inch monitor is coping just fine with xbox/pc games and my old big ass tv is working good for my Wii too.
I'm more then happy.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By Tireyo

@Video_Game_King said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Could you go back to gaming without a nice HDTV and surround sound?

I don't have either :|.

This, except that I do have surround sound.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Deleth said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

A. Too poor

Isn't it nice that mommy and daddy are paying for you? : )

No. Just 31 with a job and no kids.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By soldierg654342

I'm still on a standard-definition CRT. Suck it.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By vaiz

God this is fucking dumb, christ.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pw2566ch

Well, since today's games always takes advantage of HDTV's then I can't play today's games on a standard television. However, since I have a huge library of PS2 games and a backwards compatible PS3, I wouldn't have a problem playing those on a standard television. Now if you were talking about losing the internet connection to consoles, then I am way ahead of you. My consoles haven't been connected for more than a year now.