#1 Posted by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -

What is the craziest GameStop incident you've heard about? I can't really name one off the top of my head, but I know there have been a lot of crazy/funny stories.

#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I've been told there's this kid at my school that got RRoD, but his three years was over, so he sold it to Gamestop. He then bought a new Xbox from Gamestop at the same time and said it was for his friend, and they thought he was telling the truth.

I can't attest to its truth, though.
#3 Posted by Warfare (1633 posts) -

Man i got nothing.

#4 Edited by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -

Ok, I got one. I heard that if you trade in a broken game, they'll just shelf-it and let someone buy it, No testing at all.

#5 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I once asked for a game guide and without checking the computer or anything he said it wasn't there, so I looked around for a bit and found it for myself. I plopped it on the counter and the guy seemed really pissed.

Fuck GameStop, I refuse to give them my money anymore. I've been GameStop free for a very long time now and I'm not turning back.

#6 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
uberpwner93 said:
"Ok, I got one. I heard that if you trade in a broken game, they'll just shelf-it and let someone buy it, No testing at all."

Yep. "If it doesn't work, they'll bring it back". We do check for really bad scratches, so we can give you less money, though.
#7 Posted by TimesHero (679 posts) -

The EB games in my town isn't bad at all.

The only problem is some of the retarded customers that show up there.
#8 Edited by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Fuck GameStop, I refuse to give them my money anymore."
I've tried, but I recently bought a Microsoft point card from there. I felt so dirty...you know...feeding the corporate animal that is GameStop can take a toll on your personal life. >8-\
#9 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

I heard someone once went into GameStop and beat up an old lady to steal the PlayStation 3 that she got for her grandkids.  After that, he spat in her face, but Bam Bam Bigelow stepped in the thief's way and sumo slammed that bitch onto the concrete.  But then Ric Flair walked out and was like  "WHOO HOO" and Macho Man was like "OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH  YEAAAAAAAHHHHH  SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM, FUCKER!".  Then the cops showed up and it turned into a Battle Royale featuring three drunken midgets and a circus pony.

And next time you start a thread saying "what's the craziest thing you've HEARD about", realize that people can say whatever they want and it's not truth.
#10 Edited by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -
Bellum said:
"Yep. "If it doesn't work, they'll bring it back". We do check for really bad scratches, so we can give you less money, though."
My GameStop and EB Games just ask if it works. So you could tell them yeah when it's broken, and they just say "OK!!!"
#11 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

GameStop really doesn't care. They can fix it for almost nothing and sell it back at a high price. It's how they make most of their money.

#12 Posted by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -
Bellum said:
"GameStop really doesn't care. They can fix it for almost nothing and sell it back at a high price. It's how they make most of their money."
Are Game Crazy's any better? I've never shopped at one.
#13 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

*shrug* the last game I bought from a store was Spore. I only did that because I wanted it day one, which for me is rare.

Typically I buy games online.

#14 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
uberpwner93 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Fuck GameStop, I refuse to give them my money anymore."
I've tried, but I recently bought a Microsoft point card from there. I felt so dirty...you know...feeding the corporate animal that is GameStop can take a toll on your personal life. >8-\"

Just...just don't go there. I have a BestBuy right next to the mall that the GameStop is in and I'm proud of myself for not fueling that evil monster of evilness.

In Soviet Russia, consumer fucks GameStop!
#15 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3091 posts) -

I once asked for Battletoads in person. He just gave me a blank stare and told me not to start that shit.

#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Not GameStop, not even bad, but when I bought my PS3, I spent 20 minutes at least talking to the guy about MGS and it was so amazing to feel like there were other people IRL who were as geeky as me.

#17 Posted by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Just...just don't go there. I have a BestBuy right next to the mall that the GameStop is in and I'm proud of myself for not fueling that evil monster of evilness.

In Soviet Russia, consumer fucks GameStop!"
Damn, I wish i had a BestBuy, but the closest thing I have is a Circuit City, and that''s probably one of the ones that's getting shut down. I usually go to Wal-Mart or Target.
#18 Posted by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Not GameStop, not even bad, but when I bought my PS3, I spent 20 minutes at least talking to the guy about MGS and it was so amazing to feel like there were other people IRL who were as geeky as me."
I heard some are like that, but it's very rare.
#19 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
uberpwner93 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Just...just don't go there. I have a BestBuy right next to the mall that the GameStop is in and I'm proud of myself for not fueling that evil monster of evilness.

In Soviet Russia, consumer fucks GameStop!"
Damn, I wish i had a BestBuy, but the closest thing I have is a Circuit City, and that''s probably one of the ones that's getting shut down. I usually go to Wal-Mart or Target."

That's a shame, a real shame. If GameStop is your only outlet, then I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. But if you can go to Target or Walmart instead of GameStop, do it. Stick it to the douche bags!
#20 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

People who come into my GameStop think I don't know shit about games. We don't even have a PC section, dammit!

#21 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
uberpwner93 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Not GameStop, not even bad, but when I bought my PS3, I spent 20 minutes at least talking to the guy about MGS and it was so amazing to feel like there were other people IRL who were as geeky as me."
I heard some are like that, but it's very rare."
Incredibly. That's one of three times in my entire life where i've bought something and the guy behind the counter has had a friendly conversation about it. The best was when I bought The Running Man on DVD and I spent about an hour talking to this guy about Arnie movies. Off topic, but a golden moment.
#22 Posted by CactusWolf (539 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
Just...just don't go there. I have a BestBuy right next to the mall that the GameStop is in and I'm proud of myself for not fueling that evil monster of evilness.
Yep. Same here. I tend to avoid GameStop since BestBuy is right there.
#23 Edited by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
" Stick it to the douche bags!"
YEAH!!! My town is growing so much, at least every month a new chain resturant or store opens, and there are rumors of a BestBuy, so I'll be happy if there is one.
#24 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

When i returned my RROD XBOX 360, they gave me a used one in return. I bought a 2 year warranty stating that if I fucked up my XBOX they'd give me a NEW one. I was none too happy with my used 360, so I took it back and complained, so they gave me some shit about them not having any XBOX 360's that were new. And then told me where there were some at other stores, so I went to their other branches and they gave me the same bullshit, and after trying for 2 weeks to get a new XBOX 360 they finally got one in and gave it to me. And it RROD'd on me a couple months later.

Then there was that time I pre ordered Postal 2 and they didn't get it until 3 weeks after it came out.  And then there was that time I pre ordered X2 the threat and that happened again.

And the craziest thing I've ever seen at EB games was definately that time I went in there and actually found good deals on 360 games. Which is happening more and more lately.  I got Condemned, Sonic, Odama, Conan, Forza 2, and Operation darkness (new) for about 102 dollars.

#25 Posted by joey (983 posts) -

One time i saw a used copy of a game costing more than a new one.

The difference was like 5 dollars.
#26 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

I'm really saddened to see how many people here bash GameStop. I work at one, and I'll say it's much more of a pain to deal with a jackass customer than it is to deal with a jackass cashier.

#27 Posted by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"jackass cashier."
I bet your not one. We are mostly talking about experience.
#28 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"I'm really saddened to see how many people here bash GameStop. I work at one, and I'll say it's much more of a pain to deal with a jackass customer than it is to deal with a jackass cashier."

Heh, same here. I'll bash GameStop for it's shitty retail practices, but all of my coworkers are great and always polite to the customers.
#29 Edited by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -
uberpwner93 said:
"Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"jackass cashier."
I bet your not one. We are mostly talking about experience."
I know, I can't deny that most GameStops out there are full of nepotistic freaks who hire their friends only to neglect their job. But, as a general rule from my personal experience, seeing a nice customer on the other side of the counter always brightens up my shift considerably.
#30 Posted by bigpig33 (97 posts) -

one time i  went to gamestop and asked for COD4 and they gave it to me and they were very plesant

#31 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
bigpig33 said:
"one time i  went to gamestop and asked for COD4 and they gave it to me and they were very plesant"
thats how it always happens for me
#32 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -

I was amused a couple of Christmases ago when a Game Stop dude was totally trying to get a mom to buy a PSP for her 10 year old daughter, and being really rude about how the DS had crummy "kiddie" games. !?! So I actually waited for this jerk to be done lecturing this lady about "real games" and then talked to her about the DS and what games she should consider buying from the Target next door. :)

#33 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
erinfizz said:
"I was amused a couple of Christmases ago when a Game Stop dude was totally trying to get a mom to buy a PSP for her 10 year old daughter, and being really rude about how the DS had crummy "kiddie" games. !?! So I actually waited for this jerk to be done lecturing this lady about "real games" and then talked to her about the DS and what games she should consider buying from the Target next door. :)"

HAI FIVE!
#34 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -
erinfizz said:
"I was amused a couple of Christmases ago when a Game Stop dude was totally trying to get a mom to buy a PSP for her 10 year old daughter, and being really rude about how the DS had crummy "kiddie" games. !?! So I actually waited for this jerk to be done lecturing this lady about "real games" and then talked to her about the DS and what games she should consider buying from the Target next door. :)"
By the way, welcome to the community! :)
#35 Edited by DavidLeeRoth (137 posts) -

Saw some guy and his buddies try and convince a clerk that some ratty old piece of paper that looked to be a receipt from an auto repair place was worth store credit. It was at a Canadian EB. The receipt (or whatever it was) was dirty, ripped and nowhere did it say EB or Gamestop. The guy claimed he got it a long time ago from the US.  They went back and forth for about 5 minutes. The clerk was just confused, and the guy and his buddies continued to tell him he NEEDED to accept this as store credit. However, the clerk simply couldn't do anything with it because there was no way to input the data from the paper into a computer. Very odd. Before they started using cards, was store credit redeemed through receipts?

#36 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"erinfizz said:
By the way, welcome to the community! :)"

wut he sed
#37 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -
DavidLeeRoth said:
"Saw some guy and his buddies try and convince a clerk that some ratty old piece of paper that looked to be a receipt from an auto repair place was worth store credit. It was at a Canadian EB. The receipt (or whatever it was) was dirty, ripped and nowhere did it say EB or Gamestop. The guy claimed he got it a long time ago from the US.  They went back and forth for about 5 minutes. The clerk was just confused, and the guy and his buddies continued to tell him he NEEDED to accept this as store credit. However, the clerk simply couldn't do anything with it because there was no way to input the data from the paper into a computer. Very odd. Before they started using cards, was store credit redeemed through receipts?"
Yup, I think it was GameBucks or something like that. It was way before the time I was employed, so don't quote me on that.
#38 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"erinfizz said:
By the way, welcome to the community! :)"

wut he sed"
heh, thanks yall.
#39 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -
bigpig33 said:
"one time i  went to gamestop and asked for COD4 and they gave it to me and they were very plesant"
No way dude!
#40 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

Ive never had a big problem with gamestop, I like em and the ones I go to have all nice people who work there. Whats the matte with being offered a strategy guide? if you dont want it then say no thanks and stfu, no one wants to hear you complain about nothing. I have had minor problems with packaging but the broken used games going onto the shelves again is a lie.

#41 Posted by Tanuki (275 posts) -

Okay, this isn't super crazy, I guess - but whatever.  This one time I went in, and I think I was looking through the PSX bin trying to find Final Fantasy Tactics or something, and then this chick that worked there came up to me, and was "what are you trying to find?" (or whatever) and I told her, and she's like "OH... MY... GOD!!!  I LOOVE FINAL FANTASY TOO!!!  I love 7!  7 is the BEST Final Fantasy EVER!  You know what else is AWESOME!?  HALO!  I love Halo SOOO MUCH!  I play halo ALL the time!  There's totally this AWESOME HALO tournament next week!  I'm so going to be there!  Do you love Halo!?  Cuz you should go!  Cuz Halo is SO COOL!!"  And then I was like, "I dunno, --"  and basically tried to... get away... but she kept following me around the store literally freaking out about Final Fantasy 7 and Halo.  It was weird...

Also, there was this other time I went in and asked the guy, "Hey... I'm looking for UFO:Aftermath, do you happen to have it."  (And this was after like, the 5th EB I went to, and none of the previous ones new the game I was talking about)  And the guy looked at me shaking his head  "Ugh... you crazy X-Com fanatics... ...and we only have one copy and it's broken."   So I was like, Uh, okay. 

#42 Posted by Ryan_ (174 posts) -
bigpig33 said:
woah that's crazy!!
The only gamestop in my town is really far away, so i don't go there at all. but there is a gamecrazy next to my house and it isn't that bad
#43 Posted by thanatos990 (760 posts) -

screw EB/GS, Target

#44 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

This isn't related to me being a customer really but I found it quite funny.

Someone at about 3 in the morning rammed their car through the front of of a gamestop (breaking the security gate) and only took a guitar hero controller and a couple other controllers... What is wrong with today's thieves?

#45 Posted by ajr123 (214 posts) -
Roger_Klotz said:
"

I once went to best buy to buy oblivion when it came out. The clerk asked for my I.D and I was 17 at time and they refused to give me the game because it was rated M (17and up). Trying to tell them that I was old enough to buy this game they still refused to give it to me. I leave the best buy empty handed  and decide to go to gamestop. I find the game and purchase the game. The guy behind the counter does not not card me and we even have a discussion about our favorite games. He even jokes around saying I won't have a life after buying this game. I even asked him if I'm seventeen if I can purchase an M rated game and he was like sure, why not. Gamestop in my opinion is better than best buy.

"
I second that. The best buy near me is full of morons.
#46 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

I've never had any problems with the people that work there.  I only have a problem with how small the one near me is.  It's rectangular shaped and always has a small crowd in it.  The counter is in the middle though.  Last year, I went there just before Christmas and I was on line as soon as I opened the door.

#47 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1864 posts) -

a kid, maybe 10 or 12, walks into a gamestop and tells the sales clerk that his PSX can play DVDs, but only when he sets a slice of white bread on top of it. rye, wheat, etc. do not work. the clerk tells him that this is impossible, but the kid is adamant. why don't you show me, the clerk asks. i don't have any white bread, the kid responds.

i am not making that shit up.

#48 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -
Fr0Br0 said:
"I once asked for Battletoads in person. He just gave me a blank stare and told me not to start that shit."
I've been thinking about that, but I've gotten them mad enough over the phone.
#49 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I work at Future Shop (Best Buy), so I hardly go to EB games.

#50 Posted by Bear (247 posts) -

There was this one guy who was at EB games; he was buying a used game. The employee was asking him if he wanted that game insurance. The first time he said no. The employee kept on by saying things like "Are you sure?"

Eventually he was just like,"You know what? I'll take the game insurance." He goes back to the car with his game and crushes the game with his tires. He returns to Gamestop and gets it replaced.

Read it on a blog full of these stories, it was pretty interesting. Especially since I haven't had any problems in EB/Gamestop. Granted, I don't go there much; too expensive.