Creating a custom Giant Bomb video server with Plex

tsigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

For about two months now I've been using the Premium RSS feeds to download all of the original GB video content to my local network and making it available via my Plex server to the various clients I use (web browser, two different Rokus throughout the house, iPhone) with great success. This makes it easier for me to keep track of content I've already watched or where I paused a video to resume later. I can even start watching on one device and pick it up later on another. And since the content is on the local network, it's always fast and never buffers. Plex will even transcode HD video to lower quality for when I'm on 4G.

I thought others might be interested in setting up something similar, so I wrote up a blog post about how I did it. My Plex server is on Linux, but a similar setup should work on OSX and Windows as well.

Looking forward to feedback!

chimpchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cool! I just finished re-writing a download script that someone posted here a while back (moved it from Perl to Python to make it more portable). I'll have to tweak it so the files it puts out work with the Plex agent. Thanks for posting!

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Does this support Plex Sync? The "official" channel doesn't, which is a huge bummer.

zygoatsalami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Once it is set up should videos populate right away or do i need to wait for new videos to be published in order for them to show up?