Creating a Gaming Collection: PS3 or 360 - BC and Reliability

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

I already have a huge gaming collection but the majority of my games are for the Xbox 360.  As of late I've actually been thinking about my collection and have been a little worried about a couple of things.

Is it becoming useless to collect games when it seems that backwards compatibility is slowly being phased out?  I mean I'm happy with my 360 collection but if the next Xbox doesn't utilize BC does it make it pointless to collect them?  The reason I ask this is because back in the NES and SNES days the systems would last forever and creating a collection never really worried me.  I still have my original NES that I was given for Christmas in 1987 and it still plays games perfectly, but with the current consoles it's a much different world.  I'm currently on my 4th Xbox 360 and I'm afraid that after the next Microsoft machine comes onto the market that my whole collection will become unplayable with the system being so unreliable.  

That got me thinking that I should start collecting games for the PS3.  The PS3 does seem like a much more reliable system but it's a hard switch to make when I have over 90 Xbox 360 games already.  

I have no idea why this is bothering me so much but with every generation I always seem to make a collection of the games I love the most and from time to time I enjoy revisiting them.  Any suggestions?

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WickedFather

I'd say don't collect games.  I'm telling you this as somebody who has collected hundreds and wished somebody had told them that at the end of the day you've basically got a pile of junk that will take up space and you'll never really go back to and you'll more likely play on emulators.  I so wish I didn't basically have a museum of computer entertainment in my life.  But if you've got to do it then just stick to a few precious things, like Chibi-Robo or something.  Dump all your Splinter Cell and Call of Duty and Halo... things like that are all worthless.  With the current gen as soon as I finish a game it's out the door unless I know a friend wants to do co-op or something.  If you haven't played it for a year and it's not some really quirky thing like Parappa the Rapper then get rid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Well I have a ton of PS3 games and I'm pretty sure Bluray will carry over into next gen unlike DVD.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By napalm

I think there are several choice games from all consoles and eras you should collect just out of respect or interest of the hobby, but I don't really agree with collecting vast amounts of games for the hell of it.