Curious to hear how many of you have opted out of Xbox Live / PSN+ in the past couple of years?

• 51 results
guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll Curious to hear how many of you have opted out of Xbox Live / PSN+ in the past couple of years? (233 votes)

Still happily paying for live! 21%
Oh, shit that reminds me. I haven't cancelled it yet! 3%
I switched to PSN+ yearly/monthly. 32%
Opted out of either/both in the last couple of years. 35%
Never subscribed to any of them. 11%

I just got reminded of my upcoming PSN+ yearly subscription fee coming up, and I definetly don't feel like renewing yet. The free games brings a good value, but I haven't downloaded any of them in the last 6 months I think.

Either they're too old, requires a PS3 or a Vita, or way too badly advertised on the PS Store. Some of them hardly ever have a describing text, screenshots or trailers! But that could be just related to a localization error for the European / Scandinavian PS Store? I don't know.

Stopped paying for Xbox Live years ago. Considering the bleak offering of games IMO, I don't see myself coming back to Live if things don't change up a lot. Which to MS credit, they have in huge ways on the other side of the company. So who knows?

• 
Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought XBL to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Rainbow Six on the OG xbox. I had a great time and back then people were actually nice. Now I want nothing to do with XBL. I've found PS+ to be a much better value for me personally

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By bceagles128

They are badly advertised? I look up the games every month because I recognize that these are games I'm already paying for. /might as well download. Sony could literally never advertise them in any setting and I would still check tem out. You are into games enough to go to a site like giantbomb, but you aren't into them enough to see what the PS+ games are every month?

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been thinking PS+ has been a scam for years but am stupidly still paying for it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You get free games. there's more incentive now than ever.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I stopped paying for Xbox Live before I built a PC. I occasionally pay for a month to play Halo for a little while but then I just realize how small the player count for 3 is these days and I stop playing.

As far as free games, I dunno, I have a lot of games and most of those are games I could own without needing to keep up a subscription.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

I chose the "Never subscribed to any of them" since I not only opted out of these types of subscriptions, I opted out of consoles entirely this generation. Feels good.

pkjr92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pkjr92

I've seriously considered it, but I get 2 games a month (24 total) for $50 a year. Even if you hate half the games, it's still inviting.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rejizzle

My only complaint about PS+ is that there are so many free games I don't have time to play them all! Seriously, great service.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I stopped paying for Gold earlier this year when my subscription lapsed. I've been an active paying member since 2009 but ever since I built my PC I can probably count the times my Xbox One and 360 have been powered on with two hands. Never had PS+ because the free games don't entice me and I don't own a PS4.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I got out of Live for a couple years, but once I got my Xbox One last year I signed back up.

PS+ really is worth it, and although I skip a lot of games I make use of a whole lot of them.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By IceNDice

Was a PS fanboy and subscribed to PS+, now GabeN has taketh me under his wing

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been paying for both for years. Even when Live wasn't offering games It didn't really bother me, it was nice to be able to play online whenever I wanted. I'm not using my Xbox systems as much these days, so I'd be more likely to cancel if it weren't for the fact that I'm getting a "free" game or two every month. Getting Massive Chalice this month left me very happy to be subscribing.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

PS+ has been awesome so far, I have no complaints.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have them both. I stopped paying for gold for months, but I had to re-purchase it for Sunset Overdrive and more recently Titanfall.

I don't want to say that PS+ has been a waste because I've gotten a ridiculous amount of play out of a handful of games, but I wish some of the stuff they gave away was better.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let my XBL lapse, but just because I haven't played much on my Xbox lately. Still paying for for PS+ though. I give zero fucks what anyone says, that shit pays for itself every goddamn month.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

I've never payed for either on a yearly basis. I don't own an Xbox anymore, so I don't pay for that at all, but for PS+ I only subscribe if there's a free game that month that I particularly want to play and/or there's a multiplayer game I really want to play on the PS4. (So far Destiny is the only one I have needed to do that for.)

I've found the 3 month subscription to be the best value for me. You get more bang for your buck than the 1 month subscription, but I also know I don't need a year round subscription.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Due to lack of time I haven't been able to catch up with PS+ games but I still enjoy the ones that I do wind up playing. Ground Zeroes is pretty rad for free.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punched said:

I've been thinking PS+ has been a scam for years but am stupidly still paying for it.

How's it a scam. You can say you don't think it's a good value, but a scam? You pay a certain amount of money per month/year, and you get access to the network and 2 (or more) games per month per system. It's pretty straightforward, I don't see how it's a scam.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By sammo21

I've had PS+ since it came out. I didn't have XBL since the PS4 came out, but I picked it back up when I got an Xbone in December. I just dropped it this month as I barely play my Xbone and its unnecessary since I can play online without getting charged. I also didn't care for their selection of free games.

Ps+, for me, is a much better value. I've purchased lots of games on PSN and I feel that since I own a PS3, PS4, and Vita that the free games are a better value (over all).

@punched How the hell is PS+ a scam? I'd love to hear you elaborate.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: haven't used my consoles for like two or so years. Xbox still keeps trying to charge a card of mine that expired so, so long ago. Silly people

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I didn't play multiplayer Xbox Live games, I might opt out of Gold because the free games they offer are pretty pathetic. PSN is worth keeping for the free games alone.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I haven't been a XBL gold subscriber in a while, but I willingly pay for PS+ despite the part where I download but don't play half the games that show up.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gold is offers a value that is far superior to the 6$a month you are paying."Free" games and discounts every week. You can also get 1 year live cards for 40$on amazon pretty easily.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never had XBL Gold on my 360 as I never played online, but I did purchase PS+ when I bought my PS4 a few months back. Definitely worth it just for the games, and looking forward to some multiplayer when a friend will get his PS4 in a month or so.

Out of curiousity: does Bloodborne's online functionality actually need PS+ to work? I played DS and DS2 offline because I didn't have Gold, but I don't know if BB's online functionality would have worked without PS+.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stinger061

I find PS+ to be a great service. It is breathing life into my PS3 every month, I'm not buying any new games for it but even if I spend a couple of hours on the free games every month it is paying for itself. On top of that the PS4 offerings are generally quite solid. Unlike some I quite like it when they are games like 'The Unfinished Swan' which are different experiences and only take a few hours to complete, it's a great way to try out games I otherwise wouldn't buy. Also PS+ landed me my favourite game of last year, Velocity 2X, for nothing.

Even when I find myself too busy with new release I always make sure to attach the free games to my account so that when the inevitable dry spells hit I have a bunch of options to try out. As for the poor advertising I find it to be no issue, but even when there is minimal information on the store page Giant Bomb generally has a quick look.

I fear I'm sounding like a bit of a fanboy here but for $60 a year I'm getting over 60 games (PS4, PS3 and Vita) so it doesn't matter if not all of them are fantastic when the value is that good.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I haven't had xbox live since 2009. And I only paid for PS+ like two times, 3 months each. Stopped that as well in 2013.

I also don't own any next gen consoles, so you know that's a thing

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let Live lapse, started PS+.

draltor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsw said:

Out of curiousity: does Bloodborne's online functionality actually need PS+ to work? I played DS and DS2 offline because I didn't have Gold, but I don't know if BB's online functionality would have worked without PS+.

Yes. I had to subscribe to PS+ to play Bloodborne online.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had Gold since around 2010 and I let PS+ lapse in like March 2014 when it became pretty clear that the focus was now on PS4 and Vita and that PS3 was getting left behind. It's a pretty big bummer not being able to play any of the games I racked up while subscribed but at the end of the day the service isn't worth it anymore without a Vita or PS4.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently renewed my subscription to both. I buy for below MSRP (Amazon sales, mostly), and the value of the included games outweighs the cost anyway.

I feel like PS+ is a better deal, I suppose because the games are generally newer, but I know that's not really true since those 360 games are mine, unlike PS+ subscription access. Sony could stop supporting the older consoles at any time and cut off my license to those games.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RiotControl

I've been paying for PS Plus long before PS4, so multiplayer is just the crappy bonus. In fact, I've never once found one single worthwhile multiplayer console game to play for this or last generation. I like the free games and PS Plus also happens to be the only way to get deals that are close to Steam prices.

Gilian_Seed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on live for 360 but i switch to PSN plus for until 2017. I don't pay for live any more.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I barely use my 360/XOne so I let Live lapse on that a while ago. I keep PS+ current. Even if I don't play on,one I enjoy the freeish games they add every month.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought 3 years worth of PS+ back when they had an excellent sale a few years back and just set it to not renew today (it expires next month). They haven't offered a good enough deal to make it worth keeping to me since i primarily play games on my PC now.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I've never subscribed to Gold beyond the occasional free month they offer. That, and sometimes creating new profiles to get access to another month... As for PS+ I only just recently subscribed fairly recently; never opted in when it was just on PS3, and I primarily subscribed for the sake of Bloodborne's online features.

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped subbing to xbox live for a few years before I moved on from my 360, I wasn't playing online much anymore and the games with gold back then weren't enough to keep my interest.

PS+ I've subscribed to since I got my PS4 around release, but I don't know if I'll renew again in December, I'm still getting some of the monthly games but not all because I don't have the time to play them all. I also just don't have many games with online multiplayer so that's not bringing me in either.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately I've had to stop subbing to both of them recently for money's sake. I appreciate the deals and all, but I'm nearly out of a dang job.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought three months of PlayStation Plus during the summer last year. I didn't get too much use out of.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been paying for PS+ since day one, and will continue to do so. I stopped paying for Live a few years ago. But recently just re subbed to play some DS2 online. And got Massive Chalice in the process. But will not ended up renew it.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My PS+ just lapsed and I'm fairly indifferent about it. Don't have enough time to get through the games I have already.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped paying for Xbox Live back in 2008 or 2009. Never paid for PS+ and I stopped playing on my PS3 before PS+ "got good" anyway. I built a gaming PC and I just kind of never looked back. I'm a PC person now. I will probably get a PS4 sometime though to play Uncharted.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The poll options are confusing. I'm happily paying for PS+ and never had Live, and there's no option for "both".

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By wrecks

I dropped both and got back together with my old flame, the PC.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never paid for Live. Switched to PS Plus after buying a PS4. Strangely, I don't remember renewing it and haven't spotted it on my bank statements. I'm sure I bought it in April last year.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox Live is still a weird relic. PS+ has been a godsend. When it came out, the Bombcast was incredulous that it was a paid service for a game subscription. Time has shown that it's the best goddamn thing to happen to the PS ecosystem. Those of you who think 60 bucks isn't worth 6 games a month, you're insane.

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
doctor_wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By doctor_wheatley

I ran out of xbox live a while ago. For the amount of free games that you get is pretty godlike. $800 worth of free games just for $60? Why do people think Xbox live sucks? You have party modes so you can actually talk to your friends when they are playing a different game. I'm now a PC person now, but I'm probably getting an Xbox One for the 2-3 free games every month and Halo 5.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I let my xbox live die. Moved to PS+.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I opted out of PS+ post Bloodborne after finally remembering to do so. I wanted to for years but kept forgetting. I was subscribed since PS+'s humble beginnings.

Also people seem to be fooling themselves a bit? There are no free games when subscribing to Ps+. You're borrowing games from Sony that they handpick for you. You lose the privilege to play these as soon as your subscription ends. That's not free, that's renting. Other benefits include exclusive discounts - but digital games on PSN already seem horribly overpriced compared to similar services like Steam, or even your local Gamestop. It's more like you get a slightly more reasonable price on the Playstation Network, but you're paying them to make the price slightly lower. Bleh! I don't get it, but that's fine.

I'm interested to see how this develops when Xbox Live launches on Windows 10 and online play there will be free for PC users.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Still play for XBL because the online experience is pretty good. I'm waiting for me PS+ to run out and won't be renewing it because I don't spend enough time on my PS4 to reap the benefits.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@geirr: The PSN games and Games with Gold should be referred to as complimentary, not free.