#1 Posted by BREW3R (1 posts) -

I was wondering if there is a reason for there not being a game that uses the word money is our mainstream games they use gil gold and even muney.

Anyone know?

#2 Posted by Levius (1169 posts) -

Thematic consistency, I guess. It would be weird for Final Fantasy guys to be using dollars, its another way to reinforce the feeling of a different civilisation. And saying " I have 50 money" is really dumb.

#3 Edited by Gaff (1813 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if it was breaking down a mental barrier when it comes to money. Spending $10,000 USD, even when fictional, isn't as easy as spending 10,000 zeny, of which you have no preconceived notion of worth.

Also: Microsoft Points.

#4 Posted by Dapupeteer (10 posts) -

I think that using money would be to broad because there are a lot if different currency in the world so using gil or something along that line would make have more of a mass appeal.

#5 Edited by ShaggE (6550 posts) -

Firaxis actually talked about why they used "credits" instead of "dollars" in XCOM once. Something about the numbers having to be inflated to make the dollar system believable, so it was easier to use credits, I think.

Also, like said, fictional styles of currency are easier to spend.

#6 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4419 posts) -

I hope a game comes out that supports Brad Bucks after all of the Brad Bucks I've saved up from bets in the past year.

#7 Edited by doobie (605 posts) -

the word money was invented for the game monopoly and thus is copyright of the man that made monopoly which was jesus. so if game maker wanted to use the word money it would cost them lots of money.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

And saying " I have 50 money" is really dumb.

Kingdom Hearts does it.

#9 Posted by Levius (1169 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@AmatureIdiot said:

And saying " I have 50 money" is really dumb.

Kingdom Hearts does it.

But at least they contextualise it by calling it munny, and its a universe that can't really have a consistent currency that makes sense (or maybe it can, Kingdom Hearts bored me to tears after an hour when I tried played it so I don't really know that much about it). Calling the currency money would not really add to most games, it would detract to games like Fallout and Rome:Total War.

#10 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

I would believe for thematic reasons, plus I think often the currency in games does not necessarily scale well to real currency in many situations, and so they have to disassociate it from real currency.

Something that is 1,000 units in a game currency may not be equivalent to $1,000. I'd consider $1,000 a hefty price to spend in real life...but perhaps in the game 1,000 units is how much you make easily under a minute. The user needs to be able to instantly associate the amount with how much its worth within game (often by comparing it to how much money they have or earn per mission/battle/etc.)...so by creating that disassociation, the user will be able to understand something's worth within a game much more easily, and associating it with a real world currency might confuse them for the item's worth...or at least that's how I'd see it. Designers have more control and flexibility over a fictional currency, and in how they present it to the player. You'd have to be careful how you price things with a real currency (since a player might think "what a rip off!" for a simple health potion worth $1,000, even if that's not a whole lot of money within the context of the game).

#11 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I remember an interview where they developers of XCOM deliberately switched over to "credits" from real money amounts (which X-COM used) for the sheer sense of scale.

Plus, it's a lot easier to spend "Microsoft space bucks" than it is to spend an actual amount of money. I mean, I have trouble spending 5 bucks when it's on sale. It costs me 5 dollars for a fucking sandwich, but I still can't get over that mental block.

#12 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

Deadly Premonition used the dollar sign ($) to represent money. Remember those $35 crackers? Man, if only I had some $35 crackers...I would stuff my face!

#13 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

"You want this mask, Link? Ya betta bring me the Banjamins, if ya know what I'm sayin'."

#14 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@BoG said:

"You want this mask, Link? Ya betta bring me the Banjamins, if ya know what I'm sayin'."

"To purchase this "interrogation" for this type of alien you must pay $10.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.001. Then you need to add the cost of every scientist and overtime and also make sure that there's enough food in the fridge and make sure the council is happy!"  

XCOM games would be weird
#15 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@doobie said:

the word money was invented for the game monopoly and thus is copyright of the man that made monopoly which was jesus. so if game maker wanted to use the word money it would cost them lots of money.

Pay up.

#16 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

Thematic consistency, I guess. It would be weird for Final Fantasy guys to be using dollars, its another way to reinforce the feeling of a different civilisation. And saying " I have 50 money" is really dumb.

It's really /dumb!/ :D

#17 Posted by Beforet (2927 posts) -

@doobie said:

I think the sad part is that up till Jesus I was almost ready to believe you.

#18 Posted by BaneFireLord (2950 posts) -

Because bottle caps are just more awesome.

#19 Posted by Corvak (1126 posts) -

Using fictional currency removes the need for scale, since we associate real world dollar values to things we might be buying in a game.

As an example, buying a gun for $500, and a car for $1000, they don't really line up with real world costs, though might make sense for game balance.

#20 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

They do. Grand Theft Auto, Deadly Premonition, Earthbound all use the currency of the place they're set in. The currency you described are from worlds/universes that don't exist.

I don't think $50 is worth much in Spira, you get my point.