#1 Posted by smackifilia (67 posts) -

As someone who has almost no real experience with MMORPGs, can you guys recommend a good F2P or non-subscription based MMOs to play? Thinking about trying PSO 2 after Jeff has talked about it a few times, but I wanted to see what some more experienced MMOers like.

Thanks in advance,

Smack

#2 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Call me crazy, but I still like Star Trek Online. Never put a red cent into it (not including the when I was subscribing to it) since it went free to play and dont feel like I'm missing out on anything for it.

#3 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4480 posts) -

Warhammer baby

#4 Posted by Garfield518 (390 posts) -

Rift.

#5 Posted by theodacourt (510 posts) -

I'd never played an MMO before I checked out Neverwinter earlier this year. It seems pretty fun and low investment to me. It has an auto-run key! That's probably standard but it amazed me.

It started get to more involved and difficult at around level 20 so I ended up stopping, partly because I had some much else to play though. Dota 2 might have stopped me. I can't say I regret the 15~ hours I spent with it!

#6 Posted by Gargantuan (1877 posts) -

I really liked Rift when it came out.

#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4480 posts) -

Neverwinter is not bad for when Warhammer dies.

#8 Posted by schreiberty (189 posts) -

I really like Guild Wars 2, its a one time purchase though.

Neverwinter is sort of like a free to play Guild Wars 2. Also the f2p elements of Neverwinter didnt seem to terrible for as much as I played it(around level 30)

#9 Posted by alanm26v5 (415 posts) -

WoW is free up to level 20, and then if you like it, $20 gets you content up to level 85 and a free month. I know you said non subscription based but that's pretty much still the gold standard in MMOs and a cheap buy-in and no pay to win systems. Guild Wars 2 is pretty good, and doesn't have a subscription, but it it's $50 up front.

#10 Posted by Bane122 (763 posts) -

I'd say either Star Trek Online or Marvel Superheroes Online, though for Marvel it will come down to whether you want to play one of the free heroes. Marvel's also not super MMO-ey, so that may be a turn off.

I enjoyed Rift a couple of years ago but have no idea how the F2P works for it.

#11 Edited by Benny (1937 posts) -

@smackifilia:

WoW is free up to level 20, and then if you like it, $20 gets you content up to level 85 and a free month. I know you said non subscription based but that's pretty much still the gold standard in MMOs and a cheap buy-in and no pay to win systems. Guild Wars 2 is pretty good, and doesn't have a subscription, but it it's $50 up front.

The price for guild wars 2 has fallen a lot as of late (You can get the heroic edition from greenmangaming for $40 and you can get 20% off that too)

#12 Posted by Elwoodan (671 posts) -

Guildwars 2 is really fun and easy to get into, Neverwinter is also neat, and firefall is more of a shooter than a traditional MMO but is also really fun.

#13 Posted by smackifilia (67 posts) -

Thanks all. I think I'm gonna download Rift, and the free WoW trial to start.