Edited 7 months, 26 days ago

Current gen,next gen or PC? Which will you play on for the next couple months/years? (125 votes)

I have no interest in next gen, I am staying with my PS3/360 7%
I will get a PS4 or XB1 or both day 1! I already pre ordered. 21%
I will get either a PS4 or XB1 but not at launch. Either in 2014 or in the later years 34%
I will stay with PC gaming 68%
I will keep playing on my Wii U 5%
I will get a Wii U 5%
#1 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

PS4, haven't pre-ordered but will go to store and buy it day one since pre-ordering isn't such popular fad in my country.

#2 Edited by jeanespinosa21 (83 posts) -

i have never been into PC gaming idk i think the controller just feels superior than the mouse (my opinion) also PC cost around 1K to build....so i'm sticking with the ps4 for the exclusives its already bought.

#3 Posted by probablytuna (3446 posts) -

I haven't preordered, but I'm determined to get a PS4. I'm pretty sure they won't sell out where I am (maybe on launch day).

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3520 posts) -

PC and if there's enough good exclusives maybe a console too later in the generation.

#5 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

i have never been into PC gaming idk i think the controller just feels superior than the mouse (my opinion) also PC cost around 1K to build....so i'm sticking with the ps4 for the exclusives its already bought.

Im no PC elitist or anything but it does NOT cost around 1k to build a PC. Sure you can build a PC for 1k or more but you can also build one fore 500 bucks

#6 Posted by mbr2 (548 posts) -

Because you can't use any kind of controller with a PC?

#7 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

Im no PC elitist or anything but it does NOT cost around 1k to build a PC. Sure you can build a PC for 1k or more but you can also build one fore 500 bucks

#8 Edited by vg132 (5 posts) -

Never been a PC gamer so will continue with PS3/360/WiiU until next year when it's time to upgrade to PS4/XBox One.

/Viktor

#9 Posted by believer258 (11048 posts) -

@redloopz said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

You're right... and then you're wrong. $500 might get you a bottom-of-the-line "gaming" PC, one that will be too weak when you build it and obsolete by next year.

$800, however, could build you a pretty good gaming PC. And remember, a powerful PC can be used for far more than just gaming. You're not buying a gaming machine, you're buying a machine that can also be an extremely fast and efficient workstation and a powerful entertainment piece. That $800 or more doesn't just go toward the best that gaming has to offer.

On topic, I already have a PC for gaming and it will continue to be my main gaming machine. I plan on eventually getting a PS4, but not at launch, and it more than likely won't become my main gaming platform.

#10 Edited by Andorski (5111 posts) -

@redloopz said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

While technically true, a $500 build from scratch would give you a very meager offering that will become near obsolete within a year. PC game system requirements are going to jump up dramatically once the new consoles come out.

#11 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

I'll stick to PC gaming primarily but will eventually get the PS4 when the price drops.

#12 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

@redloopz said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

You're right... and then you're wrong. $500 might get you a bottom-of-the-line "gaming" PC, one that will be too weak when you build it and obsolete by next year.

$800, however, could build you a pretty good gaming PC. And remember, a powerful PC can be used for far more than just gaming. You're not buying a gaming machine, you're buying a machine that can also be an extremely fast and efficient workstation and a powerful entertainment piece. That $800 or more doesn't just go toward the best that gaming has to offer.

On topic, I already have a PC for gaming and it will continue to be my main gaming machine. I plan on eventually getting a PS4, but not at launch, and it more than likely won't become my main gaming platform.

True but some people may have multiple P, which one of em is their gaming only PC. But then again ur right, gaming PC or normal PC both can do much more than play games.Whether a 500 dollar PC will be obsolete matters on the games you will play and how graphically heavy they are. If the person is experienced with the PC parts even a 500 dollar PC can surpass a next gen consoles graphic wise

#13 Posted by fisk0 (3294 posts) -

@redloopz said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

You get a decent mid tier PC for about $200-300, assuming you already have a monitor and an old computer case to put the stuff in. I haven't paid more than $300 for a PC since the early 90's when you had to pay $5000 for a 486DX2.

As for the poll, I'm considering buying a PS4, not sure if I'll pick it up near launch or wait until next year (I have not preordered anything). I'm also leaning towards getting a Wii U, mostly for Pikmin 3 and ZombiU, but I'll most certainly also keep playing PC games, because there really isn't anything out there like the PC (err, nowadays at least, back in the day there used to be several personal computer brands). And I'm not talking graphics stuff, but how the platform in it's core is all about creating and sharing software in an unrestricted manner, allowing for games that are downright impossible on less open platforms.

#14 Edited by believer258 (11048 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@believer258 said:

@redloopz said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

You get a decent mid tier PC for about $200-300, assuming you already have a monitor and an old computer case to put the stuff in. I haven't paid more than $300 for a PC since the early 90's when you had to pay $5000 for a 486DX2.

As for the poll, I'm considering buying a PS4, not sure if I'll pick it up near launch or wait until next year (I have not preordered anything). I'm also leaning towards getting a Wii U, mostly for Pikmin 3 and ZombiU, but I'll most certainly also keep playing PC games, because there really isn't anything out there like the PC (err, nowadays at least, back in the day there used to be several personal computer brands). And I'm not talking graphics stuff, but how the platform in it's core is all about creating and sharing software in an unrestricted manner, allowing for games that are downright impossible on less open platforms.

I meant from scratch.

What are you putting in this $300 gaming PC?

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

I still do not have any pressing desire to own a home console.

#16 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Yes, that is the cost of your first PS4 that will break, and the second one you'll buy afterwards. 400 each, that's 800 dollars, the perfect PC price. Or the price of a PS4 and an Xbone, since several people are buying both.

From then on, you can compare game prices. Most PC players buy triple A titles either with various launch week discounts, or dirt cheap during Steam sales. Your PS4 games will remain sixty bucks a pop for at least a year.

Even if your first PS4 doesn't break, the cost of 8 PS4 games will round up the expenses to the price of a PC. Those are 8 games you can buy for a fraction of that price during a Steam sale.

And you can connect any controller, joystick or driving wheel to your PC. Just some food for thought, in case you wanna change your mind ;]

#17 Posted by crow13 (127 posts) -

I have a 4 year old gaming computer, I still play it but I have a ps4 on pre-order. My 360 is moving to a closet shelf.

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

From then on, you can compare game prices. Most PC players buy triple A titles either with various launch week discounts, or dirt cheap during Steam sales.

:D I pre-ordered BioShock Infinite for $45 and got BioShock 1, The Darkness 2, and XCOM: EU for free with it.

#19 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1213 posts) -

I've preordered a PS4. but after the initial launch ill probably go back to getting multiplatform games on pc after the newness of the console wears off.

#20 Edited by Zeik (2114 posts) -

I'm still with current gen right now because I can't afford next gen and I kind of don't care that much just yet either.

As of now I'm leaning toward a new PC, because I really really need one, but since I've never been much of a PC gamer I keep going back and forth on whether it's really worth spending 1k on it for a good one. My gut tells me that by the time I can scrounge up that money the PS4 will be looking a lot more enticing and I'll end up buying that instead. On the other hand, I really need a new PC...

#21 Posted by gaminghooligan (1347 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

PC and if there's enough good exclusives maybe a console too later in the generation.

#22 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3031 posts) -

Defnitely getting the PS4 within a few weeks of launch.

#23 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

For the rest of this year I'm sticking with Wii U, 3DS, Vita, and PC. There is nothing that I want for next gen systems yet so I'm waiting.

#24 Posted by Pezen (1469 posts) -

Sticking with current gen and PC for now. I'll get into next gen eventually but life currently have other expenses far more important than a new set of unproven consoles. However, I am sure I'll eventually go down that rabbit hole too.

#25 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

PC now that I built my new rig. I'll get a PS4 in a year or more once I see how the next gen consoles shake out after the launch window period.

#26 Posted by mano521 (1202 posts) -

I plan on switching around between the X1 and the PC. I usually do most of my gaming on consoles because i love the feel of the controller, and only play rts's or indie stuff on the pc. Im super pumped for dark souls 2 though and gtaV so ill be holding off on getting that new xbox for a few months

#27 Posted by goldfishking (7 posts) -

I'll stick with my xbox 360 for a while until Titanfall is released.

#28 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

Continue with my Wii U this year and pick up a PS4 next year.

#29 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@redloopz said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

I built my current PC for $500: Intel Core i3 3220, Nvidia GTX 660, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Corsair Carbide 200r case... there's nothing bottom-of-the-line about that. If you know what you're doing you can get a strong mid-range PC with $500. In general, if you're spending more than 1k on your PC you're probably overspending somewhere.

#30 Edited by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

While the new generation seems more interesting then the last, I will stick with PC as it is what I prefer and keep coming back to. Consoles and especially console games are just not worth the money for me. I don't think I'd have money for a third of the games I've played in the last five years if I only had a console.

If I magically got super rich, in other words found a steady job, I would consider a PS4 as it seems to be a very well thought out machine.

#31 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@redloopz said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

I built my current PC for $500: Intel Core i3 3220, Nvidia GTX 660, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Corsair Carbide 200r case... there's nothing bottom-of-the-line about that. If you know what you're doing you can get a strong mid-range PC with $500. In general, if you're spending more than 1k on your PC you're probably overspending somewhere.

exactly this was what I was trying to say. I dont know why most people go like: "$500? dude you wont get much out of that" Wrong!

#32 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I will be playing everything on PC instead, unless friends have the PS4 version of a game or in the case of exclusives.

#33 Posted by myketuna (1631 posts) -

@leych said:

I'll stick to PC gaming primarily but will eventually get the PS4 when the price drops.

Same here. I will also be getting a Wii U once a couple of good games are out and one of them is named Super Smash Bros.

#34 Posted by beeftothetaco (418 posts) -

PC for sure. The super-long life cycle of the "current-gen" consoles has left me jaded, as I feel it has forced developers to make compromises that shouldn't have to be made.

#35 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I'll stick with my PS3/PC and I'm getting a PS4 at launch. Keep playing the PS+ console/PS3 exclusives, console/PS4 exclusives and multiplats and PC exclusives on PC of course.

#36 Posted by Jeust (10343 posts) -

I will buy a Wii and PSP and have all consoles from this generation. :p

#38 Posted by cloudnineboya (692 posts) -

Sticking with next-next-next gen pc for now, get a p4 when the last guardian comes out.

#39 Posted by Morningstar (2050 posts) -

All of them.

#40 Posted by ninnanuam (215 posts) -

@sathingtonwaltz: the parts you listed still seem a little low, the cheapest 660 I can find right now is $169 the cheapest I3 is $120 ( which is only dual core) that's $290 and we haven't even grabbed ram, a case, a mobo, hdd, a disc drive of any kind, let alone an OS. It might be possible to buy the rest of that stuff for under $210 but it'd all be from 3rd rate manufacturers but i wouldnt call it a midrage pc especially running an i3. A more reasonable figure for a decent, entry level to mid range pc is $800, if you are starting from nothing.

#41 Posted by bigjeffrey (4166 posts) -

Xbox/PC like always/

#42 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

I'm going to play on my PC for now and I just reserved a PS4.

#43 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

PC

In fact I think for the first time in my life (I'm 34) I will not be buying a console on launch day. X1 isn't even coming out in my country at launch and the PS4 launch line up is terrible (games I can run as well or better on my pc and killzone which as usual looks amazing and I have zero interest in playing, and I bought kz3 at launch, 70€, played like 1 hour if that) so I think I'll try to control my "new tech lust" for a few months at least

#44 Edited by billymagnum (561 posts) -

im staying with pc and i really dont care about anything consoles will have to offer. im not playing the "console-exclusive-games" game. if its not coming to PC, ill watch a Let's Play. ive saved hundreds upon hundreds of dollars buying PC versions games with only having to upgrade my graphics card because it was from 2006. a a PC gamer, i just feel that i have more control over every aspect of my gaming. im so glad i saw the light last year.