• 168 results
Edited 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Cynics - Are You Swayed? (576 votes)

Yes - I'm hyped for the new generation! 37%
Nope - I'm still cynical and grumpy. New coat of paint, old shit. 53%
Fuck videogames! I'm out. 12%

I've been pissed at people for being negative about the new generation for the longest time. The lack of imagination and enthusiasm drove me up the wall. Just wait and see I said over and over again. The wait is finally over! Eat your hearts out cynics.

I can't fathom that there's still a videogames enthusiast out there, that's not positively hyped for these new boxes from the second the Konami logo came on at the beginning of the MS conference. By the time that trailer was done, my smile was so wide, it's been borderline grotesque, and I fear it might be permanent. Microsoft frenched my butthole good with their showing, and I think the whole industry will do just as great a job at showing me a good time today.

You are hyped too, aren't you? Or do you want to tell me otherwise?

#1 Posted by StarvingGamer (8227 posts) -

I am not a cynic so I guess I can't answer this poll?

#2 Posted by Kaiserreich (698 posts) -

Saw no reason to be excited, I may be done with the mainstream/AAA side of video games.

#3 Posted by Sergio (2113 posts) -

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3860 posts) -
#5 Edited by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

I dont know .... :/ I got excited yes but I still hate the DRM bullshit , so its hurting like a mofo right now

#6 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Titanfall for me was the best presentation. I could see myself enjoy playing that game online. All I kept thinking about was how much I want to see it for the PC.

Battlefield 4 looks like Battlefield 3 to me. Moving on...

Ryse looked great, but I did not like how core quick-time events were in the melee combat system.

Dead Rising 3 looks like just another kill 10000 zombies game, and I'd much rather be playing a State of Decay type game in that setting, with base building, scavenging etc.

#7 Edited by SuperZamrod (269 posts) -

I completely agree with you. It's weird to me that someone who posts on such a hardcore gaming website such as Giantbomb could come out of this presentation which showcased a wide variety of games from different genres and say that nothing excites them. Do these people even enjoy playing video games? Honestly, maybe they aren't for you.

Hardcore gamer cynicism and bitching about everything thing for practically no good reason will kill the industry, as Ken Levine has said.

This was an awesome press conference. The best E3 conference I have personally ever seen.

#8 Posted by mrfluke (5149 posts) -

titanfall hyped me up for next gen, but definitely wont be picking up a xbox one this year, especially at 500 dollars. jesus.

#9 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Not really, mainly because I have no clue what was announced.

#10 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

Fuck those poll options - not voting.

429 pounds is looking REALLY BAD for Australian prices.

Not that I was going to buy the thing anyway, but man that price.

#11 Edited by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

I completely agree with you. It's weird to me that someone who posts on such a hardcore gaming website such as Giantbomb could come out of this presentation which showcased a wide variety of games from different genres and say that nothing excites them. Do these people even enjoy playing video games? Honestly, maybe they aren't for you.

Hardcore gamer cynicism and bitching about everything thing for practically no good reason will kill the industry, as Ken Levine has said.

This was an awesome press conference. The best E3 conference I have personally ever seen.

How can you argue your first point? I personally was not excited by most of the games shown, so I am not swayed yet. But the fact that I post on a gaming website means that I know that the future will hold better exclusives, that still doesn't mean I have to get blindly hyped about any new IP.

#12 Posted by JEC03 (900 posts) -

I'm hyped as shit for the Oculus rift could care less about the new consoles.

#13 Posted by ConfusedOwl (940 posts) -

I still won't be buying one. The games weren't enough for me to forget about all the other crap that MS is doing.

#14 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I love how you can either be super impressed or a grumpy fucking cynic. Good poll...

#15 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@sergio said:

@starvinggamer said:

Yeah - should have a included a poll option for true-heart enthusiasts. Just vote yes instead.

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -

You know, Seppli, I'm not sure you've ever made a poll or a topic that wasn't completely loaded.

#17 Posted by geirr (2561 posts) -

No reason to be grumpy here, it's only $200 more expensive in Europe this time around. $300 more if you live in Norway. Thanks MS!

#18 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Still waiting for Sony and a bit annoyed that the gritty gun game is still a sole focus, but yeah, I'm hyped!

#19 Edited by SpaceRunaway (865 posts) -

I'm always excited about new hardware, even if I won't be directly experience it for a while (It's at least a year off before I pick up a new console). Nothing Microsoft specifically did sold me on an Xone, but on the whole it was a pretty entertaining show. As much as I think Microsoft's smartglass stuff is dumb and completely not for me, there was some neat stuff they showed.

Edit: To clarify I'm not even planning on getting an Xbox, but still. Cool stuff.

#20 Edited by EXTomar (4718 posts) -

I didn't think anything new would happen but when Phil Schiller came out and announced a dramatically rebuilt Mac Pro I was honestly shocked. I still wouldn't buy one but they really did redo almost everything about it. The changes to OS X 10.9 and iOS 7 seem to be okay but the redesign of the Mac Pro looks amazing.

Or did you mean Microsoft's thing?

ps. I agree with others calling people "cynics" isn't exactly a neutral pov.

#21 Edited by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

I don't appreciate being called a "cynic" because I'm not ready to throw down 500 bones and ignore BS DRM for what Microsoft had shown. Some of it was impressive, but none of it was worth the price or the baggage.

#22 Edited by Pezen (1604 posts) -

I voted Nope.

Because it wasn't that my issues with next gen was a lack of imagination over possible games, but underlying issues regarding policies and infrastructure etc. On the games front, some of the games actually looked really cool, but I also felt like I wished I had been more surprised regarding the games. Like someone said in another thread, there were games I could see myself owning, but no games really sold the notion of a $499 console with, probably, $60+ games that I can only play so long as I (or their servers) keep being online indefinitely.

I suppose I am less cynical, but not really by much.

#23 Edited by oldenglishC (957 posts) -

I liked what I saw. Get in my living room, new consoles!

#24 Edited by oodli (106 posts) -

My problem still lies with the always online and the DRM so even if some of those games looked great (MGS V, The Witcher 3, Titan Fall), I still remain cynical.

And man that europe price, sheesh.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4796 posts) -

$499 for inferior hardware thanks to eSRAM forcing a downclock on the GPU. Not to mention the 3-4 gigs dedicated to television and apps, a camera that watches what I do and listens to what I say whenever I'm in my own fucking living room, restricted consumer rights and constant pat downs to make sure I didn't somehow get a hold of a game without giving Microsoft a taste, and yet my cynicism is unwarranted.

This poll is flame bait and should be locked down.

#26 Posted by Reisz (1491 posts) -

it was pretty good, I'm always excited about video games. I just don't know about the console.

#27 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

$499 for inferior hardware thanks to eSRAM forcing a downclock on the GPU. Not to mention the 3-4 gigs dedicated to television and apps, a camera that watches what I do and listens to what I say whenever I'm in my own fucking living room, restricted consumer rights and constant pat downs to make sure I didn't somehow get a hold of a game without giving Microsoft a taste, and yet my cynicism is unwarranted.

wow

#28 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5003 posts) -

Really good poll options.

#29 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I'll tell you when all the conferences are done.

#30 Posted by joshwent (2199 posts) -

If you want a positive take on everything why don't you just watch all of the phony-ass stuff on sites like IGN?

People like us, who are passionate, should be extra critical because we want the best possible experiences. There's a difference between being critical and whining, and admittedly there has been a lot of whining about Microsoft.

But wanting to silence critics with them is just spreading ignorance.

#31 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

When you've seen it all done over and over and then you see next gen games that are the same games you've been playing for 10+ years (and in some ways haven't really changed since their inception), you don't get excited easily. Think of it in terms of a war vet. He fought in some crazy war for 5 years then retires. All of a sudden a new war starts and you put him through the same thing again. He's gone through it all before, he's not going to be throwing up at the sight of a dead body. Now put him through it a 3rd time and it's just another Tuesday afternoon. That's kind of like how it is for a lot of us. Just another Tuesday afternoon. Same game different name.

#32 Posted by LegoArmo (2 posts) -

£429? No thanks. Talk to me when you're down to £350.

#33 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

Agreed!

#34 Edited by kpaadet (410 posts) -

I am excited for alot of the games that MS showed, but I'm still not gonna pay for Live and the DRM is to strict for me to ever buy an Xbox One.

#35 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I'll tell you when all the conferences are done.

The poll will still be here by then.

#36 Edited by AngriGhandi (778 posts) -

I'm still mad cynical about XBO, for all its overreaching anti-consumer bullshit systems-- deep breath-- but, the games looked pretty cool!

And all of the exclusives except for the ones from MS-owned studios could end up being timed exclusives, so I'm feeling pretty alright about taking my 150,000 gamerscore and throwing it in the fucking garbage.

Hopefully PS4 is cool!

#37 Edited by Nev (548 posts) -

I don't appreciate being called a "cynic" because I'm not ready to throw down 500 bones and ignore BS DRM for what Microsoft had shown. Some of it was impressive, but none of it was worth the price or the baggage.

This kinda sums up my thoughts. There were a few somewhat interesting games, but nothing that blew me away and sold me on the system.

#38 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

There were only three things that could have forced me to buy an Xbone. If either GTA, metal gear or Elder scrolls went exclusive. That didnt happen. Microsoft can suck a bag of dicks for all I care. They had a couple of things that made me pay attention but its not enough. I'm not a pirate. But I will become one. I will pirate the shit outta the Xbone. I hope they burn.

#39 Edited by tourgen (4493 posts) -

yeah, I mostly agree

SWERY episodic crime mystery though. damn that could be cool. Not worth the hassle of the xbone, but cool anyway.

#40 Posted by colubroid (39 posts) -

$500 hardware and xbox live subscription? I'd rather put that money into a new pc if my current build can't handle Witcher 3 and Titanfall when they come out. Sorry; if that sounds elitist, just seems like common sense to me.

#41 Edited by cutyoface (544 posts) -

No, the 499 euro is way too much and the only good games they showed are multi platform.

#42 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

I thought it was a great conference and I enjoyed seeing so many games. But that doesn't mean I'm in for Xone, or next gen consoles in general, just yet. I'm hoping all or most of these games come to PC.

#43 Posted by Kierkegaard (591 posts) -

Below looked cool, Titanfall looked fun, and I like the ideas of Project Spark. I love Insomniac's history, but Sunshine Overdrive did not grab me.

After all the crazy of the corporate evil coming out of Microsoft's press release, the adult thing to do would be to prove to us why losing those rights could be worth it. They mentioned the cloud a bunch, and Project Spark looked cool, but a real tutorial of the online service would have been appreciated.

Not a purchase for me, but I'm happy people who do buy it will have some cool games to play.

#44 Posted by MightyMayorMike (423 posts) -

I'd rather buy a new graphics card for my PC than a new console at this point. Apologies, OP, but the info coming out about the next generation of consoles didn't do much.

#45 Edited by Tidel (360 posts) -

I am enthusiastic about games. MS delivered a ton of game content that's impressive by any standard. They came out swinging for sure.

I am not enthusiastic about the erosion of consumer rights and privacy that this console -- and by extension, potentially the whole generation -- makes possible. That is a real concern that I hope every single gamer keeps in mind when being dazzled today.

What are you willing to give up for a new toy?

This poll implies the only right answer for a 'true' gamer is to unthinkingly consume everything fed to us as the whole story. There is no line too far and nothing you shouldn't put up with as a consumer if the new shiny is shiny enough. I think that's what MS (and maybe Sony) are depending on.

I also think Ryse, DR3 and Project Spark look incredible. Exactly what I want from a new generation of games. But I'm not sure what I'm willing to give up to get it. Not what they're proposing. Not yet, anyway.

#46 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

Not at all. And i'm not a cynic.

#47 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

There's is a very thin and blurry line between unnecessary, grumpy and passive-aggressive cynicism and between not wanting to be duped by these hypemen presenters into the same old song and dance.

Ryse is a freaking QTE game, Forza, Halo and Titanfall are not new (I personally think a fast paced multiplayer boom-you're-dead Modern Warfare 2 with elements from Brink and Tribes isn't exactly groundbreaking), and their cartoon games look like fun but nothing that will lead any platform into a new generation.

The only things that made me feel genuinely excited and/or surprised are The Witcher 3, Project Spark and What Lies Below. I think the Battlefield 4 multiplayer we're gonna see in an hour will also excite me.

So am I excited for a new fresh generation? Yes, but on the PC. It will be a combination of some great console ports and some new fresh games we haven't seen in the X1 conference.

#48 Posted by TwoArmed (114 posts) -

@funkydupe: It's coming to PC, so you're in the clear.

#49 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1162 posts) -

Titanfall looked great. Pass on the rest. Was cool to see Killer Instinct again if not just for nostalgic purposes.

#50 Edited by Ministry4390 (52 posts) -

There were only three things that could have forced me to buy an Xbone. If either GTA, metal gear or Elder scrolls went exclusive. That didnt happen. Microsoft can suck a bag of dicks for all I care. They had a couple of things that made me pay attention but its not enough. I'm not a pirate. But I will become one. I will pirate the shit outta the Xbone. I hope they burn.

I can get you the number of a really good anger management therapist if you're interested...