• 170 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll Cynics - Are You Swayed? (576 votes)

Yes - I'm hyped for the new generation! 37%
Nope - I'm still cynical and grumpy. New coat of paint, old shit. 53%
Fuck videogames! I'm out. 12%

I've been pissed at people for being negative about the new generation for the longest time. The lack of imagination and enthusiasm drove me up the wall. Just wait and see I said over and over again. The wait is finally over! Eat your hearts out cynics.

I can't fathom that there's still a videogames enthusiast out there, that's not positively hyped for these new boxes from the second the Konami logo came on at the beginning of the MS conference. By the time that trailer was done, my smile was so wide, it's been borderline grotesque, and I fear it might be permanent. Microsoft frenched my butthole good with their showing, and I think the whole industry will do just as great a job at showing me a good time today.

You are hyped too, aren't you? Or do you want to tell me otherwise?

• 
JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#101  Edited By JouselDelka

Witcher 3, BF4 PC multiplayer and Mirror's Edge = I'm swayed.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lebkin said:

@seppli said:

Just think of what MGS 5 and The Witcher 3 are pitching. You cannot do that on current gen consoles, and you haven't seen it on PC yet, because there was no market to support such a development effort. That's the excitement and value I'm getting out of what I've seen. I don't get how you can let your sideshow concerns spoil your excitement for the new generation of games that comes with the new generation of boxes.

What are you talking about with the Witcher 3 and "haven't seen it on PC yet"? That's a PC franchise first and foremost. The PC has been lead on both the prior two and CD Projekt Red has already said this one will be lead as well. Hell, the Witcher 2 already looks as good as anything shown today, and it's two years old.

Show me a game like The Witcher 3 on PC. Witcher 2? That's not an open world game dude.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear and Titanfall both looked sweet, but they'll be on other platforms. The only exclusive that got me interested was Quantum Break, and no one has any idea what the fuck that's even going to be.

Everything else looked like some video game-ass video games. I haven't seen anything that couldn't be done on current systems yet.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Seppli

@tidel said:

@seppli said:

@tidel said:
@seppli said:

@cutyoface said:

No, the 499 euro is way too much and the only good games they showed are multi platform.

Wasn't meant to be a MS specific poll, but rather addressing the prevalent cynicism and negativity towards the new generation prior to E3. I always knew we'd see insane games at E3, and Microsoft certainly brought the goods. It's safe to extrapolate from what we just saw, that our minds will be blown by the future of gaming. At least that's my takeaway.

I have a hard time understanding the level of disinterest and/or negativity that's sill permeates on threads in the forums. Good god man, an open world metal gear games set in a warzone, with a comlex realtime life simulation going on (and what might be a timelapse feature to make it all palpable)? What more does it take to excite a games enthusiast?

Maybe having such awesome games on a console that doesn't require frequent online check-ins for singleplayer games, that doesn't completely ignore the doctrine of first sale or try to destroy a secondary market that has been proven to support the industry far more than it harms it, that isn't potentially watching your every move despite what they say, because it's from a company that's been complicit with the government in secret citizen monitoring programs for years.

I'm relieved that gamers are thinking far more critically this year than in years past. I think gamers are behaving admirably.

Paranoia much? Not that I don't see your points, but for me it's about the games.

All the stuff you mention is a sideshow for me, and I'm with the industry on the topic of used games and such. The specifics are somewhat troublesome, but it'd be a fringe occurence for me to actually suffer from any of it. The industry, its investors and its work force, deserve to own their games. Look at games like a live orchestral performance, a living growing thing, not a canned product like an audio file. You pay to get to see the show. Regardless - it's not what this thread is about for me.

The 'used games are bad' line is a fiction. They benefit the industry, significantly, as 70% of revenue from used game sales is put toward new game sales.

If you have to 'pretend' games are a different class of entertainment to justify your position, you don't have one.

And you can't separate these games from their delivery. As cool as some of the content looked, it comes with heavy caveats. You've clearly made your choice -- nothing matters to you but getting something you want, and fair enough.

But don't imply you are the arbiter of enthusiasm and the decider of cynicism. You're not expressing enthusiasm; you're celebrating and promoting ignorance.

Excuse me? How's the used games market not to detriment of the industry, and to the *honest* consumer? The actual content creators don't see a dime of that used games money, even if the money is spent on other games thereafter.

Steam has no second hand sales. It just has sales. If you want games on the cheap, wait for the sale. That's the future, and I'm with it. High game prices come from a need for maximum monetization. The industry actually makes money of sales, even if's crazy discounted like a Steam special sale. All digital account-bound, respecitvely restricted second hand sales, will lead to more actual sales in the vein of Steam sales, and will help to lower prices, respectively keep them on a level.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I never faltered.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

What?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I still have to see the Sony conference before I decide what console I get behind. I'm excited for the next gen, but disappointed in the vehicle's to play them.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I picked not excited just because I'm not really excited for the Xbox One. We'll see about the PS4 come Sony's conference, but I'm more excited about a couple games themselves rather than the box. Fortunately, most of those games are coming to PC as well, so I'm already set on that front.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#109  Edited By pyromagnestir

I'd be quite a lousy cynic if I let a press conference sway me. Especially since I've not seen the press conference in question. Also, I may not be actually be an actual cynic, in actuality. What was it we were supposed to be cynical about, again?

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110  Edited By hawkinson76

I continue to see no reason to invest in anything other than PC gaming.

I'm still fucking pissed about the $150 I spend on Kinect.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By Justin258

@seppli: I did like the games that were shown. MS has almost redeemed themselves, with one tiny little problem. I can get used to having to connect to the internet once a day if, and only if, MS can ensure me that they will somehow allow me to continue using my Xbox One offline after they have shut the servers down like they did the original Xbox's. I really don't like the idea of spending thousands of dollars on something over the course of several years and then having every dollar spent flushed down the drain when a company decides that it's time for me to move on to their next big product.

Is that a cynical stance to take?

Another issue that I take is with Xbox Live Gold - I'll pay for it if MS introduces features instead of locking stuff behind it. Like the free games that Sony gives for people with PSPlus, for instance, which they might be doing since Fable 3 is free for Gold members right now.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By ch3burashka

Isn't the definition of a cynic, "an asshole that can't be satisfied by anything"?

Coincidentally, 8-4 Play should be called the Cynic Podcast. Seriously...

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By lebkin

@seppli said:

Show me a game like The Witcher 3 on PC. Witcher 2? That's not an open world game dude.

I don't need to show you a game LIKE The Witcher 3 on the PC, because Witcher 3 IS a PC game. It was announced as a PC game back in February. Promoting it like it's something special for consoles is silly.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Seppli

@lebkin said:

@seppli said:

I don't need to show you a game LIKE The Witcher 3 on the PC, because Witcher 3 IS a PC game. It was announced as a PC game back in February. Promoting it like it's something special for consoles is silly.

The Witcher 3 is not out right now, is it?

There's a correlation game developement-wise between the console market and the PC market. Sure - CD Projekt RED is an exceptional outfit, having essentially repeated Valve's success story (GoG.com is CD Projekt RED's publishing platform), in addition to working out of a low-income country. Outfits like CD Projekt RED and Valve are the absolute exception.

Regardless of their fairly unique position in the industry, the console market does influence the industry at large tremendously. Just look at all the games being shown today. Think of how long experiences like these have been held back by the outdated 360 and PS3 hardware.

I'm not knocking the PC, I'm merely excited for the new generation of gaming - which includes the PC.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#115  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'm a realist, to not accept those DRM rules isn't cynical it is knowing when you are being mugged by a thief. If you don't know when you are being played that doesn't make you "fair & open minded" it just makes you a chump.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By deadmanforking

I'm still in the middle, nothing so far has jumped out at me.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#117  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

All those threads about the conference that got locked today, and somehow this one dodged the bullet? Hmm.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Be as fucking excited as you want, good or bad they haven't showed me anything I want yet. So no reason to be excited for me.

Having a system get filled with pointless shit so they can demand a ridiculous amount of money for it isn't really helping either.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By l4wd0g

I guess I wanted something special, a reason to own a new console. Now I have I have another reason to invest in a new graphics card.

HockeyJohnston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This morning's presentation definitely left me with an 'is this really where we're headed' feeling.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people need to realize there is a difference about being excited about the new consoles and being excited about Video Games in general. I don't want the new consoles and will not be getting one as I have 0 interest and anything they offer. I am however excited about Witcher 3, Mirror's edge 2, and a ton of other game coming to my computer. Just because I dont want any consoles doesn't make me a bad gamer or a bad person.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

"Or you can be pissy about it, like the internet."

- Aisha Tyler

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By medacris

No. I've never hated Microsoft more than at this point in time. They have done nothing but alienate my demographic and essentially tell me they're not interested in any money I would have spent on their products.

Konami I skipped out on. I have still yet to play any of the MGS games.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@seppli said:

@lebkin said:

@seppli said:

Just think of what MGS 5 and The Witcher 3 are pitching. You cannot do that on current gen consoles, and you haven't seen it on PC yet, because there was no market to support such a development effort. That's the excitement and value I'm getting out of what I've seen. I don't get how you can let your sideshow concerns spoil your excitement for the new generation of games that comes with the new generation of boxes.

What are you talking about with the Witcher 3 and "haven't seen it on PC yet"? That's a PC franchise first and foremost. The PC has been lead on both the prior two and CD Projekt Red has already said this one will be lead as well. Hell, the Witcher 2 already looks as good as anything shown today, and it's two years old.

What are you even talking about there? Are you just throwing out random words?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I don't appreciate being called a "cynic" because I'm not ready to throw down 500 bones and ignore BS DRM for what Microsoft had shown. Some of it was impressive, but none of it was worth the price or the baggage.

This is where I'm at. I'm sad that people who aren't willing to just bend over and take it from MS are being called names on this site.

As for the event, just a bunch of pretty, shallow dudebro garbage and a price that will surely leave it out of the hands of the mass market consumer that they've sacrificed us for.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#126  Edited By Skytylz

I loved the way sunset overdrive looked. I can't believe it is $500 though. Also, are they not dropping the price of the 360 with the new hardware? That's bullshit.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#127  Edited By Alexander

I think people need to realize there is a difference about being excited about the new consoles and being excited about Video Games in general. I don't want the new consoles and will not be getting one as I have 0 interest and anything they offer. I am however excited about Witcher 3, Mirror's edge 2, and a ton of other game coming to my computer. Just because I dont want any consoles doesn't make me a bad gamer or a bad person.

This is pretty much how I feel, I remain cynical about the new consoles, I feel gaming was held back by the long life cycle and now we finally have new consoles there are more games coming out I'm excited for.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128  Edited By yukoasho

@seppli said:

@tidel said:

@seppli said:

@tidel said:
@seppli said:

@cutyoface said:

No, the 499 euro is way too much and the only good games they showed are multi platform.

Wasn't meant to be a MS specific poll, but rather addressing the prevalent cynicism and negativity towards the new generation prior to E3. I always knew we'd see insane games at E3, and Microsoft certainly brought the goods. It's safe to extrapolate from what we just saw, that our minds will be blown by the future of gaming. At least that's my takeaway.

I have a hard time understanding the level of disinterest and/or negativity that's sill permeates on threads in the forums. Good god man, an open world metal gear games set in a warzone, with a comlex realtime life simulation going on (and what might be a timelapse feature to make it all palpable)? What more does it take to excite a games enthusiast?

Maybe having such awesome games on a console that doesn't require frequent online check-ins for singleplayer games, that doesn't completely ignore the doctrine of first sale or try to destroy a secondary market that has been proven to support the industry far more than it harms it, that isn't potentially watching your every move despite what they say, because it's from a company that's been complicit with the government in secret citizen monitoring programs for years.

I'm relieved that gamers are thinking far more critically this year than in years past. I think gamers are behaving admirably.

Paranoia much? Not that I don't see your points, but for me it's about the games.

All the stuff you mention is a sideshow for me, and I'm with the industry on the topic of used games and such. The specifics are somewhat troublesome, but it'd be a fringe occurence for me to actually suffer from any of it. The industry, its investors and its work force, deserve to own their games. Look at games like a live orchestral performance, a living growing thing, not a canned product like an audio file. You pay to get to see the show. Regardless - it's not what this thread is about for me.

The 'used games are bad' line is a fiction. They benefit the industry, significantly, as 70% of revenue from used game sales is put toward new game sales.

If you have to 'pretend' games are a different class of entertainment to justify your position, you don't have one.

And you can't separate these games from their delivery. As cool as some of the content looked, it comes with heavy caveats. You've clearly made your choice -- nothing matters to you but getting something you want, and fair enough.

But don't imply you are the arbiter of enthusiasm and the decider of cynicism. You're not expressing enthusiasm; you're celebrating and promoting ignorance.

Excuse me? How's the used games market not to detriment of the industry, and to the *honest* consumer? The actual content creators don't see a dime of that used games money, even if the money is spent on other games thereafter.

Steam has no second hand sales. It just has sales. If you want games on the cheap, wait for the sale. That's the future, and I'm with it. High game prices come from a need for maximum monetization. The industry actually makes money of sales, even if's crazy discounted like a Steam special sale. All digital account-bound, respecitvely restricted second hand sales, will lead to more actual sales in the vein of Steam sales, and will help to lower prices, respectively keep them on a level.

Used games didn't force publishers to make their budgets as bloated as they are.

Used games didn't force publishers go make more homogenized games.

Used games didn't make it so you have to sell 3-5 million copies in order to be successful.

Used books, CDs and movies haven't gone near toppling the market for new. You know why? Because the margins aren't there; what would you get selling off a $20 Blu-Ray? $5? All game companies would have to do to completely and utterly eradicate used game sales is to sell their product at a reasonable price, but the industry as a whole is too greedy for that. And if you think Steam sales are going to happen on XBOne, you're high, because the publishers don't want yet another platform where everyone has the "app store mentality," they way they do on iOS, Android and Steam.

At the end of the day, the used games debate is simply a bogeyman put up by the big publishers' CEOs to cover up their asses so they don't have to address the real issue in this industry: the budgets have spiraled out of control. When more publishers are willing to sacrifice a few particle effects and make creative games at reasonable prices, things will right themselves.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By sdharrison

Yeah, Microsoft DID show games. Nobody thought they wouldn't. They looked like video games. A lot of them will be available on better platforms with less restrictions, paywalls and privacy invasion. I'll probably buy them.

I'll never purchase an XBOX one. There is a difference between being excited for software, and being excited for the platform.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#130  Edited By project343

Not seeing anything that's blowing me away, but I'm certainly going to buy a console at launch.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By sdharrison

Also I've been excited or PS4 since the reveal. I'll be doing that, a Vita and PC

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta say the price is fair enough for the Xbone, I guess, but everything they showed was just the same shit with better graphics. Granted, I haven't seen the press conference, only the trailers, but c'mon.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#133  Edited By cornbredx

the only thing lacking imagination is the next generation of consoles

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't think anyone can be as cynical as the people who write about these games are, if reading the twitter feed on Gamespot's E3 page is anything to go by.

Speaking of which, these guys aren't one tenth as funny as they think they are.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hyped for PS4 and the potential future Wii U may end having. I could not be more unhyped(I'm making that a word now.) for the Xbox One. Seriously, you can not even fathom the enormity of my non-fuck giving capabilities on all things concerning the Xbone.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By OGred

Fuck those poll options - not voting.

429 pounds is looking REALLY BAD for Australian prices.

Not that I was going to buy the thing anyway, but man that price.

$600 at EBgames.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: try using full edit to add more poll options.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@ogred said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

$600 at EBgames.

o_o

We're getting LESS shafted than the UK?

*checks outside to see if cats and dogs are moving in together*

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I'm quite hyped for next-gen technology, but I'm quite cynical, angry, and vehemently opposed to highly restrictive DRM and the erosion of property rights.

Your poll kind of sucks.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Seppli

@mrfluke said:

@seppli: try using full edit to add more poll options.

You can't edit polls, last I checked. Hell, it hits the tone I wanted.

I am super-excited at seeing the first generation software of the new generation of games, and cannot understand the lack thereof in many a commenter on the ongoings at E3 2013. Many a one seems to misconstrue the poll to being about the MS event primarily. I never inteded it to be taken as such.

If you haven't seen things you've always wanted to see in videogames this E3, but haven't until now, then you're likely blinded by some sort of affliction. An affliction I do not understand. Hence the somewhat *annoyed* undercurrent to the poll - I guess. Or at least that's how it's taken.

I fully expected pretty much everyone to be as excited as I am, and the whole *U See Now?* aspect of the poll being taken with more of a wink and a nod, rather than such vocal opposition.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#141  Edited By impartialgecko

We get hammered no matter what the prices are overseas.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

If you haven't seen things you've always wanted to see, but haven't thus far, then you're likely blinded by some sort of affliction. An affliction I do not understand.

I've seen a handful of titles which look like they could be interesting. Mostly, I've seen a lot of pretty pre-rendered cutscenes and some gameplay which looked pretty standard and pretty janky. Because it's E3.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'alls posting in a Seppli thread.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

$600 at EBgames.

o_o

We're getting LESS shafted than the UK?

*checks outside to see if cats and dogs are moving in together*

We got shafted gently this time, I appreciate it microsoft. feel sorry for UK dudes though ;{

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the xbone stuff looked cool, but i'll just get most of it for pc

Avatar image for eddie_and_the_fist_monkeys
Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because I haven't yet been persuaded into feverishly scribbling, 'May I please have an Xbox One, the new Xbox console not the first one, the third one. ONE. The expensive one.' onto my letter to Santy doesn't mean I don't enjoy partaking in the event. A new console launch is engaging regardless of whether or not someone is losing their mind biting the keyboard in a rage of perceived betrayal or in awe and admiration.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho said:

@seppli said:

@tidel said:

@seppli said:

@tidel said:
@seppli said:

@cutyoface said:

Used games didn't force publishers to make their budgets as bloated as they are.

Used games didn't force publishers go make more homogenized games.

Used games didn't make it so you have to sell 3-5 million copies in order to be successful.

Used books, CDs and movies haven't gone near toppling the market for new. You know why? Because the margins aren't there; what would you get selling off a $20 Blu-Ray? $5? All game companies would have to do to completely and utterly eradicate used game sales is to sell their product at a reasonable price, but the industry as a whole is too greedy for that. And if you think Steam sales are going to happen on XBOne, you're high, because the publishers don't want yet another platform where everyone has the "app store mentality," they way they do on iOS, Android and Steam.

At the end of the day, the used games debate is simply a bogeyman put up by the big publishers' CEOs to cover up their asses so they don't have to address the real issue in this industry: the budgets have spiraled out of control. When more publishers are willing to sacrifice a few particle effects and make creative games at reasonable prices, things will right themselves.

You are talking as if the segment of games you describe doesn't exist. They do exist. Even big publishers push such games, but they are (luckily) also in the business of making blockbusters. Blockbusters are big business, if they actually hit it big - you can't fault people to try, and I certainly love to play blockbusters games.

BlueWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty excited to play video games. I'm not excited to watch other people play a video game or watch pre-rendered cutscenes. I'm too busy playing video games that anybody and everybody can get their hands on right now to even give a fuck about forced hype.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By unequivocable

I am excited that the artificial cap of old hardware is being removed from developers and they're starting to let their tress-FXd hair down and start making even more beautiful and giant games. Whether it's PS4, Xbone, or PC, we have some cool new worlds in front of us, and for that I am excited!!

(also, watch that Arkham Origins trailer and tell me it doesn't have that 'last-gen' look to it compared to some of the new-gen trailers today)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

still am a cynic, when "Minecraft XBox One" came up I felt like "Okay you still need to play catch up with the innovation of PC gaming."