#1 Edited by Ak1mbo (48 posts) -

Not sure if Endurance Runs have been forever outlawed at GB, but, assuming they aren't, what are some games you'd like to see Dan and Jeff play? Personally, considering Dan's tastes, I think another good, meaty JRPG is in order. Earthbound? FF3? Hmmmm....

#2 Edited by BeefyGrandmole (359 posts) -

Dan and drew are gonna play through metal gear solid. So I don't think there'll be a Dan Jeff playthrough of anything for a while

#3 Posted by Mercury45 (146 posts) -

Personally, I'd rather see Dan and Drew play Persona 5 in a couple years.

I realize this is incredibly unlikely, of course, but it'd be fun to see. With Jeff and Vinny on different coasts they can't do it again (and even if they could, there's always the chance it might just end up seeming like them treading old ground). But we have no ER with Drew or Dan, the two of them have great chemistry, and Drew might still remember a little of how to play from watching Vinny do it for 150 episodes. Dan's reactions to the sheer insanity of that game would be great, and I think he'd be willing to sit down and give it a fair shake even if it wasn't necessarily his cup of tea.

#4 Posted by CaLe (4038 posts) -

Resident Evil 2, one playing Leon and the other playing Claire.

#5 Posted by Corevi (4345 posts) -

Dan and Jeff should ER an anime wrestling game.

#6 Posted by csl316 (9227 posts) -

More Tail of the Sun.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

Dan and Drew is the superior combination.

I hate metal gear, but I want to see them play all of metal gear

#8 Posted by development (2555 posts) -

Man, I hope Dan and Drew skip Peace Walker. I was lied to. That is not a Metal Gear Solid game. If I wanted Monster Hunter I'd go play Monster Hunter. Screw missions.

#9 Posted by FattyLobotnik (51 posts) -

So Persona 4.

#10 Edited by Cirdain (3107 posts) -

No, Dan, Drew and Metal Gear

#11 Posted by SquirrelGOD (506 posts) -

...Such a thing exists?

#12 Posted by Corevi (4345 posts) -
#13 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (729 posts) -
@beefygrandmole said:

Dan and drew are gonna play through metal gear solid. So I don't think there'll be a Dan Jeff playthrough of anything for a while

Has this been confirmed? Be still, my beating heart, be still, don't invite disappointment.

#14 Edited by fisk0 (4388 posts) -

I think some PC games could be interesting. Seems like Dan has had very limited experiences with PC gaming, especially during the 80's and 90's. Jeff seems to have much more of that, though seems like he was leaning more into the Amiga side of things. I'm not sure CRPG's are something either of them are particularly into though, but there was a whole bunch of weird genre hybrids throughout the early 90's.

Maybe some of the early 90's cyberpunk games could be something. Circuit's Edge, System Shock, Cyber-Cop and stuff like that.

#15 Posted by mosespippy (4361 posts) -

I really enjoyed when they did the quick look for Akiba's Trip 2. Maybe they should play through Akiba's Trip 1.

#16 Edited by BeefyGrandmole (359 posts) -

@beefygrandmole said:

Has this been confirmed? Be still, my beating heart, be still, don't invite disappointment.

Yeah, Drew and Dan said it on last weeks bombcast. They said they'd definitely do 1 and Dan said he wanted to do all of them.

#17 Posted by Dudacles (1461 posts) -

@do_the_manta_ray said:
@beefygrandmole said:

Yeah, Drew and Dan said it on last weeks bombcast. They said they'd definitely do 1 and Dan said he wanted to do all of them.

To me last week's Bombcast didn't necessarily sound like them confirming it was definitely going to happen, but rather like them saying they were (merely) considering playing the first one. Maybe I misheard though, I don't know.

In any case, I really hope they do it, and I really want them to play all of the games if it ends up happening. I adore the MGS series, and seeing Drew discover it (and find out that he loves them too, ideally) has the potential to be one of my all-time favourite pieces of content here on Giant Bomb. Basically, ever since they made those remarks on the Bombcast, I've found myself looking at the "Coming Up" section every time I'm on the front page, hoping to see an MGS feature there.

#18 Posted by BaconGames (3532 posts) -

Considering that Dan is the new blood and Drew is the only one who hasn't done something along these lines himself, it makes sense to have Dan and Drew do something. I don't think I could withstand Dan Ryckert for that long and especially with a series I'd prefer to play myself but I absolutely think it would be a great thing to do.

#19 Posted by Substance_D (58 posts) -

Eternal Darkness would be a great endurance run.

#20 Posted by Sinusoidal (1738 posts) -

I really enjoyed when they did the quick look for Akiba's Trip 2. Maybe they should play through Akiba's Trip 1.

75% of the game seemed to be incredibly tedious dialog that they mostly skipped... Nah.

We're talking Dan and Jeff here, I'd like to see them play a game that Jeff truly truly reveres. These days, everything Jeff plays is either (rightfully) poo-pooed or "alright". I wanna see Jeff genuinely, passionately liking something, but it's gotta be long enough for a decent sized endurance run too.

And with that I am at a complete loss as to what they should play...

#21 Edited by warpr (89 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

I think some PC games could be interesting. Seems like Dan has had very limited experiences with PC gaming, especially during the 80's and 90's.

Hm... Ultima 7 or 8? (or Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale)

#22 Posted by fisk0 (4388 posts) -

@warpr said:

@fisk0 said:

I think some PC games could be interesting. Seems like Dan has had very limited experiences with PC gaming, especially during the 80's and 90's.

Hm... Ultima 7 or 8? (or Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale)

I'd love to see that, but neither Jeff nor Dan strike me as people who are into CRPG's. Could probably be a better fit for Vinny or Patrick.

Sounded like Dave was kinda planning to do something with Wizardry or Ultima when he was still there, but that never happened. :/

#23 Posted by mosespippy (4361 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

75% of the game seemed to be incredibly tedious dialog that they mostly skipped... Nah.

We're talking Dan and Jeff here, I'd like to see them play a game that Jeff truly truly reveres. These days, everything Jeff plays is either (rightfully) poo-pooed or "alright". I wanna see Jeff genuinely, passionately liking something, but it's gotta be long enough for a decent sized endurance run too.

It's entirely possible the dialogue is front loaded to serve as exposition and they were skipping through it to get to the combat. It was a long quick look with very little gameplay shown. If they had the time to stop and make fun of every dumb line of dialogue then it could be really entertaining.

I think the game you are describing is Borderlands or Diablo 3, which is fine I guess, but I think what makes a good endurance run game is something from their gaming blind spot. They didn't really know what to expect with Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition and those were great ERs. They knew what to expect from Chrono Trigger and that was just OK. I don't really know what Dan's blind spot is like but I think anime games are a safe bet.

#24 Posted by carlthenimrod (1597 posts) -

Bad Dudes.

Yeah, again.

#25 Posted by Ak1mbo (48 posts) -

I do like the Dan/Drew combo, but I wonder if Drew's primary duties would prevent his participating in an Endurance Run. If not, then great. Personally, I'd like a duo trying to work its way through some old adventure game classic. I'm really curious how Dan would deal with the sort of obtuse "logic" presented there--for some reason, I suspect he might be oddly good at it.

#26 Posted by AndrewB (7685 posts) -

@dudacles said:

@beefygrandmole said:

@do_the_manta_ray said:
@beefygrandmole said:

To me last week's Bombcast didn't necessarily sound like them confirming it was definitely going to happen...

Shhhhhhh! Shush.

#27 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (733 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

@mosespippy said:

Jeff passionatley liking something? Those are few and far between nowadays my friend!

#28 Posted by Datajack (132 posts) -

I would think instead of an official endurance run they would try doing something more in their own personal interest like a bi-weekly series of formal wrestling games published over the years and various platforms. Unfortunately the concept has been done by a few youtube personalities (Two Best Friends Play - Rustlemania) fairly decently and I recommend a watch of it, but I'd still be interested as a subscriber in watching their own personal take on the general shenanigans and insider baseball dug up by these titles, even though I don't even watch or are generally interested in wrestling personally.

List of titles for example:

1. WWE Raw 2
  2. Showdown Legends of Wrestling
  3. Hulk Hogan's Main Event
  4. WWE Day of Reckoning 2
  5. Rumble Roses XX
  6. Wrestlemania XIX
  7. WWF In Your House
  8. TNA Impact
  9. Ultimate Muscle Kinnikuman Legacy
  10. Legends of Wrestlemania
  11. WWF Warzone
  12. Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
  13. WWE All-Stars
  14. WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role!
  15. Luche Libre AAA Heroes Del Ring
  16. WCW Thunder
  17. WWF Attitude
  18. WWE Wrestlemania 21
  19. Backyard Wrestling 2: There Goes the Neighborhood
  20. Saturday Night Slammasters
  21. WWF Wrestlemania X8
  22. WWE Smackdown Here Comes The Pain! - Rustlemania 22 TheSw1tcher
  23. WCW SuperBrawl/Zennihon Pro Wrestling Fight Da Pon!
  24. WWE Smackdown
  25. WWF Royal Rumble
  26. WCW vs NWO World Tour
  27. Simpsons Wrestling
  28. WWE SmackDown VS Raw 2007
  29. WCW Mayhem/Backstage Assault
  30. WWE Crush Hour

Just tossing in my 2 cents for a possible content series.

#29 Posted by Shortbreadtom (846 posts) -

I don't feel like Jeff and Dan would work for a whole game. They seem too similar or something? Like speaking into an echo chamber for a whole game. It's great in QLs, because they spitball off one another in a short video. Don't know if that would work for a whole game.

Danbert Scanlert Endurance Run would make me lose my shit

#30 Edited by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

If it was like a wrestling league or something i would be down but i much prefer Dan and Drew to do a Endurance run as i have liked their chemistry the most.

#31 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

@mosespippy said:

It's entirely possible the dialogue is front loaded to serve as exposition and they were skipping through it to get to the combat. It was a long quick look with very little gameplay shown. If they had the time to stop and make fun of every dumb line of dialogue then it could be really entertaining.

I think the game you are describing is Borderlands or Diablo 3, which is fine I guess, but I think what makes a good endurance run game is something from their gaming blind spot. They didn't really know what to expect with Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition and those were great ERs. They knew what to expect from Chrono Trigger and that was just OK. I don't really know what Dan's blind spot is like but I think anime games are a safe bet.

I don't think i could take a dan/jeff run of akiba trip. It was ok for 20 30mins but it will just turn into them saying anime/Japanese games are dumb.

#32 Posted by mustachioeugene (519 posts) -

I think Jeff should make WWE Create-A-Story campaigns for Dan to play through.

#33 Posted by Shindig (613 posts) -

Jeff never got on with the Souls games, did he?

#34 Edited by BradBrains (1141 posts) -
#35 Posted by peritus (1060 posts) -

The Last Guardian, because it will never happen.

#36 Posted by Wlleiotl (72 posts) -

the obviously way to go with persona 5 is drew/jeff and vinny/alex playing at the same time, like with deadly premonition