#1 Posted by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

I wanted to call this out because, yo, @danryckert has made more allusions and references to Rare's Donkey Kong Franchise in the last month than the rest of the staff have made in the last year. He lamented Funky Kong's absence in Mario Kart 8 on the podcast, referenced the silhouette level of Donkey Kong Country Returns in the Mario Party Party, name dropped Diddy Kong Racing as an equal to Mario Kart 64 on the podcast and recalled that in the DKC games a banana will never mislead you in the Odd World QL to name a few off the top of my head. There have never been this many callbacks to DKC or DKR in Giant Bomb history. Dan seems to have a much deeper knowledge of all this. I love it. Dan is shaping up to be my new favorite at this rate.

None of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games have been on any SNES livestream or had a Bombastica due to the crew being 100% indifferent to them in the past. Unicycle has seen more play on Giant Bomb than any SNES DKC. I wonder if Dan will one day soon correct this... I wonder if he knows that Jeff hates Diddy yet... I wonder if I'm right about all this. Maybe I should ask.

Hey Dan, what do you think about the DKC games? I get the impression you at the very least have a lot of respect for them if not good and proper love and nostalgia. What's the best one? There's an obvious answer, I'm just curious if you know it.

#2 Posted by mems1224 (259 posts) -

Since they have an N64 set up this week I think now is the perfect time for someone to play some Diddy Kong Racing on UPF

#3 Posted by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

Yeah that's right. Perfect time for it. Diddy Kong Racing has also never been streamed. Neither has either Banjo game I believe. And of course the eponymous Glover. Glover is a solid 3 star game that aged poorly, I would love to see it too!

#4 Posted by BearPawB (15 posts) -

I never owned a 64. Remember seeing some of diddy being played.

How different from Mario Kart is Diddy Kong Racing? What made it a cool game? it always seemed like there was some sort of overworld?

But yes...they should totally play it, because i want to understand.

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

@bearpawb: Diddy Kong Racing had 3 vehicles (car, plane and hovercraft) and that was super dope. Not sure how competitive it is (I don't recall any sort of power-slide boost mechanic, and planes always seemed like the best if given the choice) but it was a childhood staple. Also had a sort of single-player adventure mode which mostly consisted of racing through tracks over and over with different stipulations (I.e collect silver coins).

Not sure how well it would hold up to the modern eye, but it's a heck of a lot better than Mario Kart 64.

#6 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (643 posts) -

@danryckert is the lovable village idiot in all our hearts. That egg white omelet story was amazing.

#7 Posted by Corevi (3981 posts) -

3D N64 platformers have aged terribly, which is exacerbated with the N64 controller being made for people with 3 hands. The SNES games are great though, if really hard by today's standards.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

3D N64 platformers have aged terribly, which is exacerbated with the N64 controller being made for people with 3 hands. The SNES games are great though, if really hard by today's standards.

The controller was made to be held in multiple ways, not for people with three hands. And Super Mario 64 is still a classic.

#9 Edited by MEATBALL (3335 posts) -

Yeah, Dan seems to have an appreciation for some of the SNES's later games (whereas it generally seems like for Brad & Jeff if it was released on the SNES after 94 it wasn't worth bothering with) and some other Nintendo classics on other systems like the Nintendo 64 that the others don't have and seems to be great at articulating why he liked those games. It's nice to have him around to fill in those gaps.

#10 Posted by kindgineer (2771 posts) -

All I know, I want Dan to continue forcing the GB crew to play games like Mario Party. That was an absolutely fantastic video, and I really hope they were serious enough to do more. I would really enjoy some Diddy Kong Racing as well, but the shenanigans that can be had in other Mario Party games are nearly unrivaled.

#11 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (943 posts) -

I always get the feeling that people who complain about the N64 controller never had the system, because nobody I played with or talked to at the time ever had a problem with it. You hold the middle prong with your left hand and the right prong with your right, unless you're playing a 2D game in which case you hold the left prong instead of the middle. I figured this out when I was six years old, it isn't hard to wrap your mind around.

#12 Posted by byterunner (314 posts) -

Its interesting seeing someone ardent in their enjoyment of nintendo systems. The fact is is that Jeff is more of a sony/sega guy, and Brad/Patrick/Vinny/Drew don't seem to care to talk about old nintendo, unlike Dan.

I feel that other than Mario 64, the GB Crew always shat on the N64, and seeing them being forced to play it is probably the most amazing thing ever

#13 Posted by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: One, 3 vehicles, each handled differently, different tracks would be designed for different ones. Two, no rubber banding. Three items nonrandomized, you choose which item you want by driving through specifically colored balloons. Four better production values in terms of music, personality and atmosphere. Five a single player adventure with a story and a hub to drive around in. Six better characters including the first appearances of Banjo and Conker. Seven arena maps with objectives other than kill each other. Eight hidden collectibles hidden in tracks. Nine there is an evil pig named WizPig. Ten it's a lot better in generally every respect.

I'll give you Glover, Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64, but Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Rocket: Robot on Wheels are fantastic games to this day. They ooze charm. Their worlds are lush, detailed and immersive, their characters charming and memorable and their gameplay as solid as it ever got.

#14 Posted by Ruukie (45 posts) -

Yeeeees I just thought of that if they have the N64 set up UPF could be amazing, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong Racing and Goldeneye would make awesome multi player videos! Of course some more Mario Party 2 or 3 perhaps ;) @danryckert

#15 Posted by ADAMWD (609 posts) -

@themasterds: They were talking about Glover recently on UPF, and Brad had never even heard of it before!

#16 Edited by Rincewind (253 posts) -

Diddy Kong racing was YEARS ahead of the competition.

That recent sonic game? BULLSHIT, you could fly, drive and hover in Diddy Kong. Mario Kart 8 has good tracks? Yeah sure but DIDDY KONG HAD GOOD MAPS AND FREE ROAM.

Diddy Kong Racing 2k15. Make it happen nintendo.

cc @danryckert

#17 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (703 posts) -

Happy Dan Ryckert is bringing some Nintendo stuff into the Giant Bomb fray. Most other gaming websites love Nintendo but for whatever reason most of the guys at Giant Bomb are indifferent so I' m happy a guy is here who loves Mario, Zelda, etc. I also think the crew has been really unfair to the N64 as a system so glad to see Ryckert is there to show the old guys (Brad/Jeff) that it's got some brilliant games on it and much better polygon counts than the other systems around at the time.

Edit: I'm not calling Mario Party a brilliant game but you know what I mean.

#18 Posted by KoolAid (980 posts) -

I think DKC 2 is one of the greatest platforms of all time. Comparable if not better than Mario World.

You want to talk about how bad tutorials have gotten? Nearly EVERY LEVEL in DKC 2 features an unique mechanic of some type. And they are all introduced to the player without a tutorial. That's just one of the things I love about it, I could go on and on.

#19 Posted by StraightGrizzly (166 posts) -

I have been a Dan fan since the GI days, and he has made it crystal clear that he is a huge Nintendo fan. That is one of the many reasons why it is so cool he became a Bomber. He has an injection of Nintendo love that we just haven't seen in a long time, especially for DK

#20 Posted by Haz (84 posts) -

I'm totally okay with someone besides Patrick and Alex talking about Nintendo.

They need more of that.

#21 Edited by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

@adamwd: in fairness it really wasn't a very good game. If Mario 64 was Gears and Banjo-Kazooie was Uncharted 2 Glover would be 50 Cent Blood on the Sand.

#22 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5308 posts) -

Mario Party 2 is where it's at.

#23 Posted by Nodima (1244 posts) -

Happy Dan Ryckert is bringing some Nintendo stuff into the Giant Bomb fray. Most other gaming websites love Nintendo but for whatever reason most of the guys at Giant Bomb are indifferent so I' m happy a guy is here who loves Mario, Zelda, etc. I also think the crew has been really unfair to the N64 as a system so glad to see Ryckert is there to show the old guys (Brad/Jeff) that it's got some brilliant games on it and much better polygon counts than the other systems around at the time.

Drew's stealth love of the N64 (or at least deep experience with it due to his family) is clutch as well. It's a shame Patrick isn't there to go overboard with an N64 stream. Maybe it could happen during Game of the Year stuff as a random live thing, assuming people are still going to be congregating in San Francisco for an All Hands podcast and production.

#24 Posted by big_jon (5743 posts) -

The DCK games are what some of my favorite videogames ever. It always really annoyed me how the GB crew ignored them during live streams.

#25 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11309 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing is the greatest racing game ever made. I would go BANANAS if they played some DKR on a livestream, or did a Bombastica for it. Then again, I might get upset at anything said about it that wasn't purely positive, so maybe it's better if they don't.

I did find it pretty funny that Donkey Kong was the thing he referenced when he saw the silhouettes.

#26 Posted by Dalai (7042 posts) -

If Dan wishes to acknowledge the existence of Donkey Kong Country and its spinoffs, I'm all for it because nobody else seems to give a shit about good games.

#27 Edited by Royce_McCutcheon (213 posts) -

Drumstick, you crazy son of a bitch.

#28 Posted by Mortuss_Zero (359 posts) -

I second the idea that it's good to have someone around with good taste. I mean, Jeff wouldn't shut up about Trackmania for awhile, his opinion has always been suspect.

In all seriousness, I love Master Ryckert.

#29 Posted by Tom_omb (407 posts) -

The N64 is my favorite gaming machine. I'm not sure if I should look forward to the crew potentially playing some of my favorite games, or if I should dread their utter contempt for them. ::flash backs to Perfect Dark Xbox Arcade Quicklook::

#30 Posted by forteexe21 (402 posts) -

Dan only has knowledge of stuff that matters.

#31 Edited by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

More evidence: When he was teasing people about his new digs he said "First piece for the new gig is called "Swinging Locks." I'm giving the animator who gave life to Dixie Kong's ponytail his 27,000 word due."

Another great thing about Dan's respect for DKC is that this increases the odds of DKC Tropical Freeze's outstanding soundtrack (David Wise's finest work. It heals the wounded!) of getting its propers at this year's GOTY awards. Hell with Dan and/or Patrick pulling for maybe it can be #1 over whatever Jeff wants.

#32 Edited by Rigas (61 posts) -

@hippie_genocide: I don't understand why they aren't melting.

What I love is that he is so willing to tell these stories. We all have stories were we did something, that in hind sight wasn't the best plan. But we rarely shout it from the roof tops. But not our Dan and that's why we love him.

#33 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -

The only non-Mario Kart kart racer that is worth talking about is Crash Team Racing. Come back to me once you understand what real karting is.

#34 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (643 posts) -

@rigas said:

@hippie_genocide: I don't understand why they aren't melting.

What I love is that he is so willing to tell these stories. We all have stories were we did something, that in hind sight wasn't the best plan. But we rarely shout it from the roof tops. But not our Dan and that's why we love him.

I told my gf the omelet story and she gave me a blank stare for a few seconds then asked "...is he retarded?"

I said no but in the back of my mind I knew the jury was still out on that one.

#35 Edited by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

Okay so pretty explicit explanation of where he stands on these games during the premium Demo Derby feature today. He's super pro Retro DKC holding them up as some of the best platformers ever right up there with the classics and thinks people don't talk about them nearly enough. This is all true. This is all great. This is improving DKCTF's GOTY chances drastically. It'll be in Dan's top 10 for sure if he it ranks up with Mario Bros 3 and Mario World. Previously my hope for DKCTF was merely nomination in Best Music. But now... it should win best music and probably get one of the overall top 10 slots. Especially since so much other shit is leaving this year. Especially if Dan convinces Drew to play it and Patrick resumes playing it when Football happens and maybe if he reminds Alex it exists... Things are great on this front.

Unfortunately he also confirmed he doesn't care for the gameplay of the SNES games. Says they're sloppy and imprecise? I would just like get out there and say naw son. DKC1 maybe seeing as it's got some rough edges as a first game (as does DKCR), but not DKC2. DKC2 is as perfect as a game can be in 1995. There are literally no problems in DKC2. Plus it's super atmospheric on all fronts. As for gameplay let's put it this way. DKC2 is the 8th most commonly played game at the Games Done Quick speed running marathons. Why? Because it's a fantastic speed game. Dan is right that Rare's DKCs aren't like Retro's DKCs. Retros have a lot more weight to the characters (e.g. harder to stop midair, momentum is emphasized) whereas the old DKCs were more like Modern Rayman. Really super responsive aircontrol.

It's cool though either way. Whatever, the other person who loves/likes the Retro DKCs on crew, Patrick, also backhands the SNES games if they ever come up. A proponent for DKC is good even if he's not espousing the virtues of the original trilogy. Plus he loves Diddy Kong Racing which is definitely a step in the right direction.

#36 Posted by csl316 (8989 posts) -

@bollard said:

The only non-Mario Kart kart racer that is worth talking about is Crash Team Racing. Come back to me once you understand what real karting is.

Sonic Racing Transformed is amazing, and takes the Diddy Kong Racing template to new heights!!

Also, Dan is super right about DKC Returns. I've been playing Tropical Freeze over the past month, one world at a time, because I don't want it to end. I blew through Mario 3D Land, but everything I've done in TF has put a grin on my face. The design, the challenge, the art, the music... it's all so well done, man.

#37 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

DKR is the best N64 racing game and one of the best N64 games.

#38 Posted by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

@csl316: Yeah, Tropical Freeze is basically the best. It's super rare to see a game from of classic heritage be as good now as they were then. Like New Super Mario U struggles to be good by 1990 standards let along 2013 standards. Whereas Tropical Freeze is by modern standards as perfect, as charming, as atmospheric, as rich, as polished and as pleasing as DKC2 was by 1995 standards. It's remarkable.

#39 Posted by Ben_H (3384 posts) -

As a person who owns both the original Donkey Kong Country, and Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, I totally agree. Donkey Kong Country Returns is legit. It's tons of fun.

I really want to get Donkey Kong Country 2. I remember it being way better than the original when I played it long ago.

#40 Edited by Asurastrike (2167 posts) -

@ben_h said:

As a person who owns both the original Donkey Kong Country, and Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, I totally agree. Donkey Kong Country Returns is legit. It's tons of fun.

I really want to get Donkey Kong Country 2. I remember it being way better than the original when I played it long ago.

DKC 2 is by far the best. I have all 3 for SNES and they remain some of my favorite games of all time.

#41 Edited by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

His recent bullcrap assertion that the new games are vastly superior to the old ones has me really miffed. The new ones are floaty, imprecise and rely too much on old nostalgia and retreading the same ideas over and over. They're lots of fun, but I'd probably rate both of them with four stars personally for all of their frustrating, repetitive elements. DKC 2 and 3 are both incredible, creative games that hold up to this day (though perhaps not visually...a similar treatment to them as Oddworld: New n' Tasty would be awesome).

@themasterds I really don't see where you're coming from on the high praise of Tropical Freeze. I mean, it's fun and a bit of an improvement from Returns, but it's pretty much the same game with new levels. I didn't even like the soundtrack as much as most people did. Thought it was kind of bland. It at least looked clean and colorful. I say this after having gotten 100% in the game too so I've seen all it has to offer. The boss fights are even worse than the obnoxious Returns ones, especially that horrible end boss.

#42 Posted by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

Seriously the best map music in any game ever.

#43 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3391 posts) -

DONKEY KONG 64 IS THE BEST 3D PLATFORMER EVER RELEASED OKAY THAT'S ALL I WANTED TO SAY CIAO

#44 Edited by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

@mormonwarrior: Tropical Freeze is more inspired than Returns. For a start you can look at the worlds. Returns is just the environments of DKC plus Beach, Cliff and Volcano. Tropical Freeze has Plane Wreck Mangroves, a National Park Like Mountain, a Lively Savanna, Ocean World, Jungle/Factory Hybrid and Frozen DK Island. It's like the difference between Metroid Prime 1, which had all the basics, and Metroid Prime 2 which got creative with its worlds.

Plus, though you diss it, you have the soundtrack. The soundtrack for Returns was insipid. Just remixes (of DKC1 music exclusively) and crap new shit. They didn't even remix Hot Head Bop for the volcano world! Tropical Freeze was more inspired. It took inspiration from the old songs, took bits and pieces here and there and weaved it into whole cloth. There was a hell of a lot more effort put into it this time basically and it pays off. Think about the Jazzy songs. Think about the Metal ones. Think about the Lion King one. There's a lot to love about most tracks in the game. They're wonderful.

You got Dixie and Cranky too, both huge improvements to the game. Dixie is great because her ability to save is generally more useful than Diddy's. Cranky is great because his cane can preserve momentum really well letting you go really fast if you can manage to do it properly.

Another thing worth noting. No waggle controls. Another thing worth noting. It's an absurdly beautiful game. Another thing worth noting. The controls feel a lot tighter. Another thing to note. The Time Trials no longer have Check Points so when you die you restart the whole level which is way better than in DKCR where the time trials were borderline unplayable because you had to restart them after you died and respawned. There's also online leaderboards for every level which is super helpful both for Joe Smoe that wants to get all golds (me before I got all golds) as well as being super helpful for the speedrunning scene growing around this game.

Tropical Freeze is a gorgeous, loving, creative, smart, tight, and highly entertaining game. It fixes most of the problems of its predecessor. The insipid score, the annoying Super Kong prompts, the difficulty on landing just where you want to while roll jumping hell of far. All fixed. Plus it has Dixie Kong. Can't argue with Dixie Kong.

Edit: Also the Snowmads are way better than the Tikis and just have loads of personality. Also it has some incredible nods to the later two SNES DKCs in it unlike the first game. It's less conservative than Returns. More willing to bring back old stuff in great new ways.