Dan Ryckert liked an anime?

zebez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I remember a giant bomb video pretty recently (at most a few months) where Dan Ryckert liked an anime with a lot of rules and stuff... Anyone know what anime that was or what video it was in? I could remember completely wrong though and it could have been another giant bomb cast that talked about it. Appreciate all help though!

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By grandCurator

He liked Akira and insofar likes Cowboy Bebop, if I recall.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dan Rykert likes Metal Gear. He has always liked anime.

Rexman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear is anime is wrestling is Commando is Metal Gear is anime.

Dan merely found the missing piece of the cycle.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexman64 said:

Metal Gear is anime is wrestling is Commando is Metal Gear is anime.

Dan merely found the missing piece of the cycle.

More like he skipped the middlemen

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have similar anime tastes to what he likes so far, and think his tastes would be fairly similar to mine if he saw all the nightmares I've seen.

Speculated list of rules
Specifically, I think his rules would be:

No weird sex, tentacle, underage stuff. This may seem like a gimme, but I don't think he would indulge in the cultural argument for a split second

No magic girls

No teen drama

Yes action

Maybe romance, if there is lots of action in-between

Yes robots, but more military robots, less gundams. and I don't imagine he makes the distinction between robot and power armor/mecha

Yes guns

No swords

Maybe kids stuff (Totoro, etc.)

If I were to guess his shortlist on anime series, I'd say:
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
FLCL (maybe)
Akira
Studio Ghibli stuff (maybe)

And that's about it.

Of course, I could be projecting here. I'd just guess about all this and reserve the right to be totally wrong.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan needs to watch Redline. Actually everyone should watch Redline. It's F-Zero gone bananas with amazing visuals and a crazy soundtrack. And it's short.

Loading Video...

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redline is great. As a Rocky fan Dan might like Hajime No Ippo but it has more comedy to it though. Also, I'm going to mention Kaiji just because it's great and more people should check it out.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suddenly want to hear what he thinks about Jojo

@tartyron said:

I have similar anime tastes to what he likes so far, and think his tastes would be fairly similar to mine if he saw all the nightmares I've seen.

Speculated list of rules

Specifically, I think his rules would be:

No weird sex, tentacle, underage stuff. This may seem like a gimme, but I don't think he would indulge in the cultural argument for a split second

No magic girls

No teen drama

Yes action

Maybe romance, if there is lots of action in-between

Yes robots, but more military robots, less gundams. and I don't imagine he makes the distinction between robot and power armor/mecha

Yes guns

No swords

Maybe kids stuff (Totoro, etc.)

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@tartyron: actually genuinely curious as to what Dan would think of GitS:SAC. It's my favorite and I always recommend it, but I can see Dan not caring for it. At least not 2nd gig.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: I really liked it too, more than the movie.

Oh, I Think he would like Space Dandy too, since he basically IS Space Dandy!

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lamashtu

Given Dan's Metal Gear obsession, the only logical conclusion is that he'd dig Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:

Loading Video...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@tartyron: actually genuinely curious as to what Dan would think of GitS:SAC. It's my favorite and I always recommend it, but I can see Dan not caring for it. At least not 2nd gig.

Second gig is arguably more Metal Gear than first gig considering it's about a man who's manipulating people from behind the scenes to further his own agenda and to fuel/bypass his inferiority complex. (much like Skull face, and he also kind of looks like him) Granted MGS 2 is all about "memes" like the The Laughing Man in first gig but that's about it.

@ichthy said:

Dan needs to watch Redline. Actually everyone should watch Redline. It's F-Zero gone bananas with amazing visuals and a crazy soundtrack. And it's short.

Loading Video...

Yes! Love that movie, I was actually going off anime for good until I watched that. It might be a too highly concentrated dose though. I think he needs to be built up to it.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@boozak: yes, but 2nd gig is decidedly less action focused. I'm not saying he wouldn't like it, I just think it's unlikely he would. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

finally dan likes anime. our goal of forcing someone to like something they don't like is complete!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BoOzak

@sgtsphynx: Sure, but I dont think it's the lack of action that will put him off I think it'll be cutesy stuff like the tachikomas. At least by the end of second gig he'll get some catharsis.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@boozak: that's a shame too, the tachikomas struggling with sentience is one of my favorite parts of GitS:SAC.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the big secret about Dan's life is that he's always liked anime.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I could see Dan enjoying One-Punch Man and Gurren Lagann -- just dozens of episodes devoted to badass dudes doing the impossible.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I could see Dan enjoying One-Punch Man and Gurren Lagann -- just dozens of episodes devoted to badass dudes doing the impossible.

I think he would like One Punch Man as well, comedy and great action, I love that show. Maybe I should watch Gurren Lagann?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boss_kowbel said:

I think he would like One Punch Man as well, comedy and great action, I love that show. Maybe I should watch Gurren Lagann?

Kill la Kill on the other hand, he wouldn't like. Not because there are no badass characters, over the top action, boss fights and all that good shit, but because the girls are showing skin and that is a big no-no.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MerxWorx01

@tartyron: Good list some one else mentioned RedLine which I imagine Dan would like. But if I had to show Dan one show and only one it would be BlackLagoon 100 %. Honestly if Dan did not immediately like BlackLagoon I would be surprised. It's like someone got all the 80s and 90s action movies and put them in a blender you will end up with BlackLagoon. I can't imagine a world where he wouldn't like it.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By Boss_Kowbel

@citizencoffeecake: If you want to watch a highly quotable mecha anime where the main explanation for everything is "fighting spirit," Gurren Lagann is it. One of the core tenets of the series is doing the impossible, and the animation, writing, and music make you believe that. The first few episodes are slow by nature of having to introduce the core characters, but each protagonist is inspiring in his or her own right, and the show itself is quite the ode to other mecha series that came before.

As an addendum: I decided to rewatch Gurren Lagann with a friend who fell off the anime train before college, but after a couple episodes, he couldn't resist binge-watching the rest. So the show does hold appeal to less enthusiastic anime fans, too.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatshisface: Kill la Kill goes way farther than just "showing skin". That show is only about two steps away from being classified as Ecchi.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I don't know Kill La Kill, but I don't think Dan has a problem with nudity or tastefully done love scenes. Now if it gets rapey, as many anime/manga do, then I see him not liking it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

There are a lot of people recommending things that I don't think Dan would like at all.

He shouldn't even look up the Wikipedia page for Kill la Kill.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@zeik said:

@whatshisface: Kill la Kill goes way farther than just "showing skin". That show is only about two steps away from being classified as Ecchi.

I thought I heard someone mention Kill la Kill....

That's not a show any person should recommend to a newcomer. Newcomers deserve better.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zeik

@tartyron said:

@zeik: I don't know Kill La Kill, but I don't think Dan has a problem with nudity or tastefully done love scenes. Now if it gets rapey, as many anime/manga do, then I see him not liking it.

It's not an issue of nudity, it's that the show has a pretty big emphasis on perverted anime humor. Which is not something I inherently object to (even though I probably wouldn't recommend Kill la Kill to someone into that either), but there's no way Dan would be into that stuff.

Ghost in the Shell has pseudo-nudity (and actual nudity in the movies) and some sexual-ish content, but that's much closer to something resembling artistic merit than anything Kill la Kill does.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@zeik said:
@tartyron said:

It's not an issue of nudity, it's that the show has a pretty big emphasis on perverted anime humor. Which is not something I inherently object to, but there's no way Dan would be into that stuff.

Or how about the fact that the story in Kill la Kill is terrible, and none of the characters are interesting?

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By DocHaus

At the risk of tootin' my own horn, check out the OP of the anime megathread. I have a shortlist of general anime recommendations for first-timers there, and you don't even have to interact with the rest of the thread if you don't want to!

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
  • Baccano!
  • Attack on Titan
  • One-Punch Man
  • Anything by Satoshi Kon or Hayao Miyazaki

@tartyron: Might I interest you in Kuromukuro or one of the Patlabor series?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Yes, sure, but that's a separate issue. I'm just responding to the assertion that it does nothing more than "show a little skin". The quality of the show elsewise notwithstanding, that is just wholly misleading.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@zombiepie: Seriously, this. As someone who was in a fansub group and worked for an anime company at one point in life, that show is too much for me (calling it kinda rapey is an understatement). Also, it's kind of bad.

Now if people want to recommend Gurren Lagann or FLCL to Dan, that's a different story. Or better yet for silly over the top anime, Giant Robo is probably my favorite of that ilk.

Good beginner anime: GitS SAC, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Bubblegum Crisis, Macross Plus, anything Studio Ghibli, anything Satoshi Kon, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Place Promised in Our Early Days, Gundam 0080 and 0083, and I'm sure I could keep going.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizencoffeecake said:
@boss_kowbel said:

Kill la Kill on the other hand, he wouldn't like. Not because there are no badass characters, over the top action, boss fights and all that good shit, but because the girls are showing skin and that is a big no-no.

Okay, I think skimpy outfits would be the least of Dan's problem with that series if he somehow got to the end.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Please, tell us how you really feel about someone liking something. I'm glad you're fighting the good fight.

OT: He doesn't seem like the type of guy who'd like the slow pace of a show like Mushishi, but that's the one show I've always recommended to anime newcomers. It's a masterpiece.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan should watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Right now. And he should definitely not watch Kill la Kill (no one should, actually)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ripelivejam

@sravankb: it's not someone liking something i have a problem with, it's someone badgering another someone about something and practically forcing it down his/her throat saying "COME ON LIKE THIS!", as if that's ever a good way to suggest a show/movie/game/etc to someone. it seems like people here just absolutely need a staff member to like something they like for ...reasons. it's a bit annoying!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zeik

@ripelivejam: You can't make people like something they don't like, at best you can hope to broaden their horizons and hope they realize that they don't broadly dislike an entire medium and subset of modern culture. "Old Dan" stubbornly disliked stuff without ever trying it first, so many people realized there is plenty about anime he might enjoy based on his unabashed love of other things. (Like Metal Gear.) And lo and behold, there is actually anime out there he can appreciate.

But if he didn't he wouldn't pretend to. No one is forcing him into doing or liking anything. Maybe some people are more aggressive about it than they should be, but that's not unsual for anything on Giantbomb, or the internet, or fanbases of anything in general.

WulfBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

At an con in town, there was a panel presenting "Manime." Manly anime. I can't quite remember it all but some of the shows he put a spotlight on that I remember were:

• Fist of the North Star
  • Berzerk
  • One Punch Man
  • Cromartie High School
  • Hajime no Ippo (even pausing to point out that the guy is using real techniques)
  • And a clip of some anime where the leader of a street gang orders his men to march in a direction and let nothing stand in their way. When they reached the side of a house, he insists that NOTHING will stand in their way, so they just march THROUGH the wall and through the house. And it continues. Through a wake walking over and on the body without a care. Climbing up a telephone pole and then right back down because it was in the exact spot that was in their way. What the hell was that? And is it any good beyond this crazy sequence?

The panel was also awesome because the guy was always using a gruff tough guy voice and throwing everybody beef jerky. And I mean EVERYBODY! Every couple of minutes, he would stop his presentation and throw more beef jerky to the people who came late. Easily over 100 pieces.

And after he was done showing clips, he did an open challenge arm wrestling tournament. Yeah, it was a crazy as hell panel.

Apsup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tartyron said:

I find this funny as Gundams usually are military robots. It somewhat depends on the series, but I think there are many war stories in Gundams.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan has always liked anime, he just hasn't come to terms with it yet.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41  Edited By Cav829

@wulfbane said:

At an con in town, there was a panel presenting "Manime." Manly anime. I can't quite remember it all but some of the shows he put a spotlight on that I remember were:

• Fist of the North Star
  • Berzerk
  • One Punch Man
  • Cromartie High School
  • Hajime no Ippo (even pausing to point out that the guy is using real techniques)
  • And a clip of some anime where the leader of a street gang orders his men to march in a direction and let nothing stand in their way. When they reached the side of a house, he insists that NOTHING will stand in their way, so they just march THROUGH the wall and through the house. And it continues. Through a wake walking over and on the body without a care. Climbing up a telephone pole and then right back down because it was in the exact spot that was in their way. What the hell was that? And is it any good beyond this crazy sequence?

The panel was also awesome because the guy was always using a gruff tough guy voice and throwing everybody beef jerky. And I mean EVERYBODY! Every couple of minutes, he would stop his presentation and throw more beef jerky to the people who came late. Easily over 100 pieces.

And after he was done showing clips, he did an open challenge arm wrestling tournament. Yeah, it was a crazy as hell panel.

This panel is a fraud for not including Captain Harlock, the manliest man to ever man space-time.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apsup: I guess I meant more modern military, not so much sword fighting space robots with a person inside. That is Austin's jam.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 words: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why has no one mentioned Big O? You guys should be ashamed.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By LackingSaint

I second the suggestion of Gurren Lagann, mostly because I feel like Kamina is either some kind of spirit animal of Dan's, or is actually Dan. Also just because yo that shit is rad as fuck and hey you if you're reading this and haven't watched it go watch it now

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Otogi

@tartyron said:

Votoms seems perfect for Dan. The first episode is basically space Rambo (although he might be more in to the OVAs)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an expert anime recommendator I'd say there are a few easy picks for Dan.

Psycho Pass: It's like Blade Runner and Metal Gear.

Loading Video...

Ghost In the Shell: Both seasons are good. It's basically Metal Gear.

Loading Video...

somethingodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he might find a neat amount of dumbness in Space Adventure Cobra. The main character has a gun for an arm that is powered by his mind.

Also, the main villain is the ghost of Hitler

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: I don't want to doubt your expertise, but what about wrestling? And do those have enough cool guys?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@otogi said:

@golguin: I don't want to doubt your expertise, but what about wrestling? And do those have enough cool guys?

Jojo.