Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Edited By danielkempster
Courtesy of systech: the little bug sprite in the lower left
Recently, something has upset me. Upon checking out TokyoChicken's latest blog, I noticed that systech has created a pretty awesome promotional poster-like thing for Bomb Should Have A Face. As you can see, it's a bit like a patchwork quilt, made using the icons of all the most popular and iconic regulars on Giant Bomb. A quick glance over the collage threw up some familiar faces. For example, the Notorious BoG can be seen in the bottom right of the image. The trademark dragonfly associated with Rowr is somewhere in the middle of the picture. I even spotted veteran blogger turned secret agentSweep's infamous burger loitering down in the bottom left corner. After the excitement of recognising so many fellow Giant Bombers, I scanned the whole sheet looking for my icon. I couldn't see it. I backed up and checked again, to see if I'd stupidly missed it. Nothing. I then remembered I change my icon fairly regularly, so I analysed the image for a third time to see if one of my old icons had been used. Nope.

I'll be honest - it upset me a little bit. It's fairly trivial, I know, but it gets to me nonetheless. I'd like to think I'm a fairly well-known Giant Bomb user, and not being included on this majestic piece of art makes me feel a little sad. After thinking about it for a little while, I came to the conclusion that this could be because I don't have an icon that defines me as a user. Looking round, all the other regulars have instantly recognisable icons that have become synonymous with them. BiggerBomb has his famous MS Paint faces, Hamz has stuck with the Shinra Electric Power Company logo, and Disgaeamad is instantly recognisable thanks to the guitar-playing rodent in his icon. Because I've been changing my icon to represent what I've been playing recently, there is no one image that represents me as a user.

...Or perhaps this?
...Or perhaps this?
Maybe this?...
Maybe this?...
The point of this little story/rant is that I'm thinking of getting myself a permanent icon, one that can instantly be attributed to me. I'm not sure exactly what just yet, but I've got a couple of ideas which you can see on the right. All I know right now is that it has to be something distinctive, unique, and personal to me. I don't want it to be game-related, because even though this is a site about games, I'd like my icon to represent me personally. Again, it seems like a trivial thing, but I'd like to be recognised on some level within the community by somebody other than just SuperMooseman (who himself has an awesome Sam & Max icon). Obviously, the other side of this is that I'll have to make my presence felt a little more within the community too, something I've been working on anyway.

No other way of putting it - TR: Underworld is frickin' gorgeous
In games-related news, my foray into the mass of new releases from the past couple of months has been only very slight. Being a Uni student, I can't afford to keep splashing out on new releases, knowing I'd only be able to afford one or two. To be sociable, I decided to get hold of Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (as anybody who read my last blog will probably know) and it's gone down a storm in my flat. The big downside of this, though, is that it's affecting everybody's ability to concentrate on their work. With assignments due in over the next couple of weeks before we break up for the Christmas holidays, I think it's best that I lock it away for a while so people can get on with their essays. I also bought Tomb Raider: Underworld last week while I was in town. A bit of a shocking choice, considering the other high profile games that have been released recently like Gears of War 2 and Fallout 3. I haven't played it much, but I really enjoyed Legend and Anniversary, and from what I've seen so far, Underworld maintains the same standards. My only concern is that it feels like it's going to be pretty short, so I'm hoping there's plenty of unlockable stuff to be getting on with after I finish it. I'm also playing the original Saints Row. I decided to order it after watching my flatmate playing the sequel, and I have to admit it's pretty fun. It's impossible to take seriously, mind, and there's no way I could see anybody getting attached to the story or characters in the way made possible by Grand Theft Auto. Nonetheless, it's a nice distraction.

I think that just about wraps this blog up. Thanks for reading, and see you around.

DanK

---

Currently playing - Tomb Raider: Underworld (X360)
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By danielkempster
Recently, something has upset me. Upon checking out TokyoChicken's latest blog, I noticed that systech has created a pretty awesome promotional poster-like thing for Bomb Should Have A Face. As you can see, it's a bit like a patchwork quilt, made using the icons of all the most popular and iconic regulars on Giant Bomb. A quick glance over the collage threw up some familiar faces. For example, the Notorious BoG can be seen in the bottom right of the image. The trademark dragonfly associated with Rowr is somewhere in the middle of the picture. I even spotted veteran blogger turned secret agentSweep's infamous burger loitering down in the bottom left corner. After the excitement of recognising so many fellow Giant Bombers, I scanned the whole sheet looking for my icon. I couldn't see it. I backed up and checked again, to see if I'd stupidly missed it. Nothing. I then remembered I change my icon fairly regularly, so I analysed the image for a third time to see if one of my old icons had been used. Nope.

I'll be honest - it upset me a little bit. It's fairly trivial, I know, but it gets to me nonetheless. I'd like to think I'm a fairly well-known Giant Bomb user, and not being included on this majestic piece of art makes me feel a little sad. After thinking about it for a little while, I came to the conclusion that this could be because I don't have an icon that defines me as a user. Looking round, all the other regulars have instantly recognisable icons that have become synonymous with them. BiggerBomb has his famous MS Paint faces, Hamz has stuck with the Shinra Electric Power Company logo, and Disgaeamad is instantly recognisable thanks to the guitar-playing rodent in his icon. Because I've been changing my icon to represent what I've been playing recently, there is no one image that represents me as a user.

...Or perhaps this?
...Or perhaps this?
Maybe this?...
Maybe this?...
The point of this little story/rant is that I'm thinking of getting myself a permanent icon, one that can instantly be attributed to me. I'm not sure exactly what just yet, but I've got a couple of ideas which you can see on the right. All I know right now is that it has to be something distinctive, unique, and personal to me. I don't want it to be game-related, because even though this is a site about games, I'd like my icon to represent me personally. Again, it seems like a trivial thing, but I'd like to be recognised on some level within the community by somebody other than just SuperMooseman (who himself has an awesome Sam & Max icon). Obviously, the other side of this is that I'll have to make my presence felt a little more within the community too, something I've been working on anyway.

In games-related news, my foray into the mass of new releases from the past couple of months has been only very slight. Being a Uni student, I can't afford to keep splashing out on new releases, knowing I'd only be able to afford one or two. To be sociable, I decided to get hold of Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (as anybody who read my last blog will probably know) and it's gone down a storm in my flat. The big downside of this, though, is that it's affecting everybody's ability to concentrate on their work. With assignments due in over the next couple of weeks before we break up for the Christmas holidays, I think it's best that I lock it away for a while so people can get on with their essays. I also bought Tomb Raider: Underworld last week while I was in town. A bit of a shocking choice, considering the other high profile games that have been released recently like Gears of War 2 and Fallout 3. I haven't played it much, but I really enjoyed Legend and Anniversary, and from what I've seen so far, Underworld maintains the same standards. My only concern is that it feels like it's going to be pretty short, so I'm hoping there's plenty of unlockable stuff to be getting on with after I finish it. I'm also playing the original Saints Row. I decided to order it after watching my flatmate playing the sequel, and I have to admit it's pretty fun. It's impossible to take seriously, mind, and there's no way I could see anybody getting attached to the story or characters in the way made possible by Grand Theft Auto. Nonetheless, it's a nice distraction.

I think that just about wraps this blog up. Thanks for reading, and see you around.

DanK

---

Currently playing - Tomb Raider: Underworld (X360)
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Disgaeamad

Y'know, I wouldn't say I'm a known user here. Only the IRC regulars really know who I am, considering I don't appear on the forums that much. But yeah, don't be that concerned about popularity; you make some sound contributions to the site, which is more important than being someone that everyone knows.

Also, that ain't no rodent! It's a bear!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I AM NOT A SECRET AGENT!!!

BuT you gut muchos love Dank, dont worry your pretty little head about it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Permanent avatars are best. I rarely know people by name on forums, I usually know people as "the dude with the _______ avatar". Although I know more names on giant bomb than I've ever known on another website. I've been using my avatar for nearly 2 years now on various websites, and before that I had a mortal kombat avatar for just as long.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, great blog.  And my icon is on the quilt!  Yeah, that is pretty neat.  But don't worry. Popularity here isn't life or death.  At all.  Blogs and posts like this already gain you respect, so just keep it up :)

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24
MattyFTM said:
"Permanent avatars are best. I rarely know people by name on forums, I usually know people as "the dude with the _______ avatar". Although I know more names on giant bomb than I've ever known on another website. I've been using my avatar for nearly 2 years now on various websites, and before that I had a mortal kombat avatar for just as long."
And yeah, I recognize users usually by their avatars too.  If I see a bear with a red bowtie, then I will say oh its MattyFTM, not the other way around.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kush

I didn't even know such a poster was made...I feel honored to be resting right next to Snide! :) ...Great blog by the way.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

Thats a great poster, i think BSHAF should use it from now on for sure. Good blog mate, cheers for mentioning me :D

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jayge_

That poster is awesome, simply because I could look at most of those avatars and name the users almost instantly.

It has my Samurai Jack picture, but that's ok. I don't know if I'll end up sticking with this golden thing or going back to that.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Lies
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kush
Jayge said:
"That poster is awesome, simply because I could look at most of those avatars and name the users almost instantly.

It has my Samurai Jack picture, but that's ok. I don't know if I'll end up sticking with this golden thing or going back to that."
I hope you go back to Samurai Jack...your current avatar creeps me out.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jayge_
Kush said:
"Jayge said:
"That poster is awesome, simply because I could look at most of those avatars and name the users almost instantly.

It has my Samurai Jack picture, but that's ok. I don't know if I'll end up sticking with this golden thing or going back to that."
I hope you go back to Samurai Jack...your current avatar creeps me out."
See, it's nearly perfect. That's why I don't want to go back.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24
Jayge said:
"Kush said:
"Jayge said:

I hope you go back to Samurai Jack...your current avatar creeps me out."
See, it's nearly perfect. That's why I don't want to go back."
I love your avatar in a strange type of way.  It creeps me out, yes, but I would love to here what this zombie-pilgrim, whatever this thing is, has to say.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush
Jayge said:
"Kush said:
"I hope you go back to Samurai Jack...your current avatar creeps me out."
See, it's nearly perfect. That's why I don't want to go back."
Just like in GTAIV, you're out to get me!! Damn you and your whiteness...though I'm still whiter!