• 66 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4294 posts) -

Dammit, I can't decide if this is gonna have enough people switching from CoD to play with. I remember how CoD is usually always worth it because nobody is never not playing, so you can always find a game. I dunno if people are gonna jump on Titanfall the same ways too.

And if anything, is Titanfall gonna have a slew of DLC also? If so, a season pass sure would be good.

GameSpot: The Point - Is Titanfall a Call of Duty Killer?

#2 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

We all know that's some bullshit. It won't even stand nowhere near a chance. They said the samething about bf3 and look what happen. COD has such a huge amount of nut hugging fans its ridiculous.

#3 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Danny brings up very good points but COD is just a different beast. It will eventually die down but i don't see it happening with Titanfall.

#4 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Kill as in take over as the most popular shooter? No. Kill as in be better in every single way? Yes.

Call of Duty will always be an accessible shooter for anyone to play. It's people running around flat terrain getting easy kills. Shoot a guy in the toe, shoot him in the face - it does the same damage. There's no verticality, no strafing or movement mechanics to outplay your opponent, no depth or strategy outside of diving prone to make your hitbox awkward.

Titanfall is introducing new movement mechanics that will inevitably lead to a skill gap, assuming the kill times on foot aren't instant and the game doesn't devolve into whoever sees the other dude first wins. You will have players ninja-ing their way across the map never touching the ground, while Titans presumably have their own movement style.

I think Titanfall will be a superior game, just like I think Halo and Gears of War are superior shooters to CoD due to their movement paradigms alone. Population numbers prove differently, however. People tend to stick with what's easy, what they're good at and what they're friends are playing.

#5 Posted by Ibrheemq4 (1 posts) -

to be honest , i don't understand the main point of "game A is going to kill game B"

i mean look so bf3 the last game tried to kill cod

as a big fan of bf2142 , bf3 is crap it's cod game why? cuz they tried to kill cod by making a another cod game, bf veterans did't ask to kill cod they only asked a good bf game and bf3 was worst bf game.

hell look to bf3 marketing was about "beyond and above the call".

titanfall looks so good but i don't think it might kill cod

#6 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

It's hard to go below lowest common denominator.

And I don't think Titanfall is trying at all to compete with COD.

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11995 posts) -

Titanfall will probably do incredibly well... but Call of Duty is a singular force that will not topple anytime soon.

#8 Posted by Syed117 (392 posts) -

Too many people in flyover states that think the army and shooting other "kinds" of people are awesome.

They couldn't care less about robots and spaceships.

#9 Posted by Corvak (1158 posts) -

If there's a huge rush of people at launch, Titanfall might stand a chance. People play what their friends play, or suffer the insults and slurs of random matchmaking.

#10 Posted by Nick (683 posts) -

Titanfall will probably do incredibly well... but Call of Duty is a singular force that will not topple anytime soon.

You're probably right, CoD has gotta have at least a few years left in it. I hope Titanfall is as awesome as it looks though.

#11 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2396 posts) -

I remember when people were saying the same thing about Halo. Call of Duty's time will come at some point.

#12 Posted by chilibean_3 (1677 posts) -

I'm thinking they can both live on pretty well. Some people may switch over, some may not want "any of that robot b.s."

#13 Posted by OurSin_360 (941 posts) -

No, because it's only exclusive to pc and xbox one. COD is played on damn near everything. They can't compete because they cut off almost half the COD user base from the game. It's more comparable to a halo killer, but since it's xbox it's really not that either.

#14 Edited by Ares42 (2771 posts) -

CoD is just like WoW. It's not about being better, or more innovative, or anything like that, it's just all about being CoD. Too many people that play CoD are not even aware of it's competitors at all, they just play CoD.

#15 Posted by vikingdeath1 (996 posts) -

Man Danny made such a good impression on the GB community during those Bioforge videos, glad to see he does other stuff too.

Go Danny!

#16 Posted by ThePickle (4189 posts) -

Goddamn those thumbs.

#17 Edited by ThePickle (4189 posts) -

Goddamn those thumbs.

#18 Edited by AngriGhandi (787 posts) -

I have found that every time someone asks the question "is ____ the ____ killer?" the answer is no.

Which isn't to say Titanfall won't be a great game, and possibly a much better game than the next Call of Duty.

But the huge, otherwise non-gaming segment of people (making up the majority of CoD's impressive sales) who are only invested in gaming to play Call of Duty don't want something different. They play video games in one genre, one franchise-- and they stick with it because it stays mostly the same, not in spite of it. (WoW and Madden are other good examples of this.)

They want and enjoy the comfort of the familiar far more than the excitement of the new when it comes to video games, because they don't really care about "video games" as a whole. And in fact, many of them probably even feel resentment toward the new.

Which sounds crazy... until you consider music, where most people of a certain age think "music nowadays" is crap-- but will listen to the same classic rock bands over and over again, buying any new albums they ever put out forever, no matter how terrible.

Call of Duty is the REO Speedwagon of games.

#19 Edited by None_Braver (92 posts) -

Titanfall will do good but players will always have CoD to fall back on. Old reliable.

#20 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

@oscar__explosion said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I remember when people were saying the same thing about Halo. Call of Duty's time will come at some point.

I was thinking the same thing, CoD knocked Halo of the throne. That said I think CoD is bigger then Halo was and Titanfall has the disadvantage of being a console exclusive (for now) so I don't think it's going to beat Ghosts from a numbers perspective. It does look amazing though and it doesn't matter who it is, everyone who's touched the game has had nothing but great things to say.

#21 Edited by Jimbo (9931 posts) -

I don't need to watch that; the answer is 'no'.

#22 Posted by Nicked (257 posts) -

Titanfall is Call of Duty & Iron Man (or Transformers, take your pick), which is a perfect confluence for making a big franchise. It's a modern pubescent boy's wet dream. I don't know about "kill", but it's poised to be really big in terms of capturing the zeitgeist. You would be crazy to bet against the success of this franchise.

As a sidenote, it's weird to see the press worshiping this game. I have not played it and I'm happy to take their word for it that it's great, but I also feel like the praise is a little thick for a first person multiplayer shooter. Not saying that makes it bad, just, having not played the game, it does not seem significantly different from Call of Duty.

#23 Posted by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

Nah DEM zombies mode.

#24 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2587 posts) -

<3 Danny O.

Actually a legitimately well voiced argument regardless of my like for the man - I'm with him in that I hope for COD to be toppled, but not sure if this is the game to do it.

#25 Edited by Evilsbane (4694 posts) -

COD is to Mutliplayer shooters as WoW is to MMOs for now and for the short term future no one is going to stop playing/buying those games.

#26 Posted by Strife777 (1610 posts) -

Until COD sales start dipping, I don't see it happening. I kind of wish it would. I don't have anything against COD, but I feel like things need to change a little.

Also, the fact that it's made by most of the same people that worked on the first Modern Warfares doesn't seem to matter. Can they even mention it, considering it's from different publishers? Probably not.

#27 Edited by mikey87144 (1811 posts) -

I don't really care. I liked BF3 more than COD. I liked Killzone 2 more than MW2. What does one game selling better than the other mean to the people buying the games? More players I guess but it's not like I've had trouble finding sctive lobbies when I was into those games.

#28 Posted by Avanzato (90 posts) -

Most of the people I know who play COD aren't the people who buy many games and definitely not new consoles on launch day or even in launch year they just want to play a good shooter with mates.

The marketing for Titanfall would somehow need to get through to those people and convince all of them to switch. So no it's not going to happen any time soon

#29 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

Off topic, but has anyone actually heard of this game or played it?

I'm talking to the guys that was gaming back in the 80s.

#30 Edited by shinjin977 (797 posts) -

Danny and Kevin are too good for gamespot.

#31 Edited by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -
@oscar__explosion said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I don't want this to turn into a COD vs Halo argument as I dislike both games, but even at the height of Halo's popularity it was still in a distant second to Call Of Duty. In both sales and media/consumer awareness.

Edit: The real question is, could this game be a WOW killer? =]

#32 Posted by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

CAN they kill what they helped create?????????????

#33 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3881 posts) -

We all know that's some bullshit. It won't even stand nowhere near a chance. They said the samething about bf3 and look what happen.

I play both, and Battlefield is WAY more different than COD than Titanfall looks. Titanfall looks like COD with double jumping, wall running, and a guaranteed mech kill streak at least once per game. I think it's gong to be pretty big.

#34 Edited by Deranged (1856 posts) -

I seriously doubt COD is going down for a while. People clamoured about how Battlefield 3 will finally be the FPS to "finally dethrone Call of Duty". Truth is, it didn't even come close. Titanfall will do wonders and probably be more critically acclaimed but it won't steal the financial success away.

#35 Posted by JayEH (538 posts) -

It won't dethrone CoD, but I'm sure it will have a big fanbase. Those CoD folks won't change their ways.

#36 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@falserelic said:

We all know that's some bullshit. It won't even stand nowhere near a chance. They said the samething about bf3 and look what happen.

I play both, and Battlefield is WAY more different than COD than Titanfall looks. Titanfall looks like COD with double jumping, wall running, and a guaranteed mech kill streak at least once per game. I think it's gong to be pretty big.

Might be big, but won't be strong enough to takeout COD.

#37 Edited by Jeust (10812 posts) -

Well there was a time when Call of Duty wasn't the most popular FPS in the market. Before it was a worldwide fenomenon, games like Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, and Halo had that honour. So anything is possible, although it is a lofty and improbable goal to achieve.

#38 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3505 posts) -

Titanfall looks too complex to ever be a CoD. Regardless, CoD has reached its saturation point and I don't think it'll ever be as big in this next-gen as it was in the last.

#39 Posted by Humanity (9831 posts) -

Every year a new COD release is someone's first COD and it probably blows them away, leaving them wanting to play the next one.

So yah it's boring to us folk that have been gaming for a while, but to that 15 year old that just got his first ever console Black Ops 2 is some amazing stuff

#40 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

For fuck sake IT NEVER EXISTED. And Yeah, you said off-topic but fuck man, that is in a whole other time zone.

#41 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@greggd: It reminded me of those hypnosis vids.

If you stare at the screen for long, it make things around you look weird.

#42 Posted by RonGalaxy (3262 posts) -

EA has said that, with Titanfall, they aim to capture the market that halo and gears inhabits. There's no chance in HELL TF will even touch Call of Duty's sales. They'd have to spend a shit load of money on marketing to do that, and I don't think they're prepared to risk that type of cash on this.

And this is only on the xbox one and pc. COD is going to release new games on the older consoles for some time, both of which have large established userbases. I would also guess COD sales will continue to dominate on older consoles for the next few years compared to next gen consoles. The bulk of people who play that game aren't willing to go out and pay full price on a new console when the only game they play will still be available on the console they already own. It'll be like sports games still being released on ps2 well into the ps3/360 generation.

#43 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4294 posts) -

@falserelic said:

I'll allow it.

Your video is so stupidly fucking weird.. Because.. Call of Duty is hypnotic. Ergo.. Your thing there is relevant. Sure.

#44 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

I find Danny really entertaining and sometimes insightful but the cheeky attitude of these videos is annoying, also this particular video is myopic. His assertion that CoD is an objectively fun and good game wrong. Its certainly popular but I've never had any fun playing it and I know many that think the same. He mentions all the 12 year old racist in the community as an off-handed joke but these are the exact people that show how juvenile CoD always has been all along.

Titanfall looks like a lot of fun and shows promise as an arcade shooter but I think this primarily because its an unknown new shiny thing. The game is not out to the public and only a handful of people have played it. If the game ends up being a bunch of jerks bouncing off the walls of a combat arena shooting each other over and over then I pass. Being the CoD spiritual successor is not imo a good thing. I don't want a slight iteration of the same formula.

#45 Posted by Veektarius (4974 posts) -

@djou: I and many other gamers don't have fun playing horror games. Does that mean all horror games are bad? I think so.

#46 Posted by Humanity (9831 posts) -

@djou said:

I find Danny really entertaining and sometimes insightful but the cheeky attitude of these videos is annoying, also this particular video is myopic. His assertion that CoD is an objectively fun and good game wrong. Its certainly popular but I've never had any fun playing it and I know many that think the same. He mentions all the 12 year old racist in the community as an off-handed joke but these are the exact people that show how juvenile CoD always has been all along.

Titanfall looks like a lot of fun and shows promise as an arcade shooter but I think this primarily because its an unknown new shiny thing. The game is not out to the public and only a handful of people have played it. If the game ends up being a bunch of jerks bouncing off the walls of a combat arena shooting each other over and over then I pass. Being the CoD spiritual successor is not imo a good thing. I don't want a slight iteration of the same formula.

The 12 year olds aren't a CoD specific problem nor do they originate from there. It's a widespread issue in all multiplayer games on both consoles, no matter how much Playstation fans tend to argue that they have the more "mature" online playerbase. While you can't argue that CoD is an objectively fun game because that is a completely subjective matter - you can say that it is objectively a good game. The reason people harp on CoD a lot is because they've played the previous ones and don't see any changes, but to the people that bought their first ever console last year and Black Ops 2 was their first online shooter experience it's an awesome game.

I do agree though that he is leaning a little too heavy on the script at times and going in the much unneeded snarky territory that so many terrible YouTube personalities already have covered. Just give it to us straight Danny, no need for the dramatic.

#47 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (468 posts) -

@djou said:

To be fair he didn't call it objectively fun-- he said it was a fun game and that it was objectively good, which is a fair point. The games are all polished, perform well online, and while the single player is another beast entirely the multiplayer is objectively good and well designed.

#48 Edited by Nethlem (436 posts) -

I remember how CoD is usually always worth it because nobody is never not playing, so you can always find a game.

I never understood that line of reasoning, you don't need millions of people for a game to have a lively community. Even the most obscure, 10 year old, GoldScr mod scan muster up small communities these days.
And you don't need more people than to fill a game/round of said game, more people is just overkill as you won't even be able to interact with all of them.
Sure, in an MMORPG the size of the playerbase is something you should take a look at, just to figure out if you invest into something dead.

But besides that? Most FPS games max out at 16-32 players and most communities can muster up that many people even years after the games initial release. So what's the point of having millions of other players when having a couple of hounded is already enough to guarantee multiplayer gameplay 24/7?

#49 Posted by EXTomar (4916 posts) -

Not that I care either way but isn't it more likely that CoD would have killed itself without another game to come along? There is a lot of FPS fatigue out there.

#50 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@falserelic said:

We all know that's some bullshit. It won't even stand nowhere near a chance. They said the samething about bf3 and look what happen. COD has such a huge amount of nut hugging fans its ridiculous.

Actually BF3 came pretty close to making CoD kind of numbers. Last I heard it had over 17 million copies sold with over 4 million premium season pass sales and I guess some junk change in loose DLC sales. What's CoD doing? 24-25 millions? BF3 didn't trail all too much behind really (well, in absolute numbers it's still a lot - most games would kill to be selling just the difference). There are very few franchises as strong as Battlefield.

That said, BF4 is currently ahead in preorders in pretty much all markets, and all platforms, certainly on both PS4 and Xbox One - last I heard. CoD fatigue is a thing, and it becomes much more prevalent.

What he says is that any phenomenal success is inherently surprising. You'll be surprised by how it plays. You'll be surprised by how much you like it. You'll be surprised by how it outsells Call of Duty. I'm not saying that it will, and Danny O'Dwyer doesn't either. He's just saying that he wouldn't be surprised if it does. By the 15 minutes he played at GamesCom, it sure seems to have the goods to *break out* like the airborne long incubation time highly virulent future-doomsday-strain of Ebola is bound to give you the bloody shits.

Nobody's saying it will kill Call of Duty per se, just that it might push it of its high perch, and be the next break out success and mass market phenomenon. It wouldn't be a phenomenon, if that was a thing you could predict and produce in advance. The whole giant robot angle is rather risky, because it is very niche, at least in the west. Preorders certainly don't indicate phenomenal sales yet.