• 71 results
#1 Edited by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -

Gamespot's Foreign Dude talks Wii U. Is it already in the toilet?

#2 Edited by SteadyingMeat (1119 posts) -

I can't wait for that game which is hopefully going to be Xenoblade 2 (pleeeeeease don't be another fucking MMO), and I'm obviously looking forward to the new Zelda as well, but yeah, this console seems kinda lame overall. Hopefully that changes.

#3 Edited by TruthTellah (8556 posts) -

Is the Wii U A Failure?

Just from seeing the screenshot, Danny seems skeptical...

#4 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

Betteridge's law of headlines at work once more.

#5 Posted by falserelic (5333 posts) -

yep it is.

#6 Posted by jimmyfenix (3831 posts) -

Maybe it is time Nintendo leave the home console buisness and focus 500% on the 3DS?

#7 Posted by DeadpanCakes (809 posts) -

Not smart enough to know anything about market analysis or whatever.

Alls I know is that the Wii U is definitely the most appealing home console to me at the moment, and I doubt that'll change within the next two or so years.

#8 Edited by LackingSaint (1773 posts) -

Really love Danny O'Dwyer's style. Controlled and rational. Not just another one of the abrasive, hyperbolic games critics you see everywhere.

#9 Posted by DonMFJohnson (146 posts) -

I like the cut of Danny's jib, he seems genuinely enthusiastic about vidjagames. Giant Bomb could use his energy on a more permanent basis perhaps maybe?

#10 Edited by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -

I like the cut of Danny's jib, he seems genuinely enthusiastic about vidjagames. Giant Bomb could use his energy on a more permanent basis perhaps maybe?

They should steal him from gamespot.

#11 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

I don't think it's that good of a opinion piece, it's the trend of video blogs but without the angry ranting that appeals to kids. Nintendo Sale's figures have always been odd since the N64 the Wii was this spike along with Guitar Hero were the flavor of the month. The Gamecube should be and always be made an example of how this industry works.

I noticed this after the video, clicked on it and thought they handled it better.

#12 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

It's a long generation ahead of us, and not all successful Nintendo platforms have been exactly early starters- fuck, look at the 3DS. I also think they may benefit from the next gen starting in earnest now. I'm not saying that whats happened so far is great, but predicting a console's long-term success or failure at this point requires either a crystal ball or no fucks to give regarding accuracy or meaningfulness.

#13 Posted by spraynardtatum (2615 posts) -

The WiiU is awesome. I love it.

#14 Posted by DonMFJohnson (146 posts) -

@donmfjohnson said:

Or at least borrow him for professional use.

#15 Edited by Humanity (8840 posts) -

@donmfjohnson said:
@bigjeffrey said:

@donmfjohnson said:

I don't know what state you live in but that sort of conduct is illegal in the greater Tri-State area.

#16 Edited by DonMFJohnson (146 posts) -
@humanity said:

@donmfjohnson said:
@bigjeffrey said:

@donmfjohnson said:

I don't know what state you live in but that sort of conduct is illegal in the greater Tri-State area.

In Europe, anything goes. Anything.

#17 Posted by MB (12037 posts) -

I keep forgetting the Wii U is even a thing.

#18 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

@mb: You play video games, and visit the forms here quite a bit where at least one nintendo hate post shops up at least once a week. I think your fibbing.

#19 Edited by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

To go through this again so soon after the 3DS' constant barrage of "IT'S DOOMED" really is mind numbing.

#20 Posted by Humanity (8840 posts) -

@humanity said:

@donmfjohnson said:
@bigjeffrey said:

@donmfjohnson said:

You guys are flying too close to the sun..

#21 Posted by spraynardtatum (2615 posts) -

The WiiU is the tortoise. Give it time.

#22 Edited by EXTomar (4508 posts) -

People need to separate products from the producer. Nintendo doesn't seem to be going anywhere but due to multiple reasons, some of which are outlined already, Wii U might be too little and too late.

A key thing with the 3DS that many forget was that it was DOOMED until the price drop and the "retcon" of the 3D features to the point it has been supplanted by the 2DS. I hope some of are supporting a Wii U price drop and the abandonment of the controller.

#23 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Specifically sales wise at the moment it is. Doesn't mean the system is bad, it has a decent amount of games and more to come soon. But if sales don't pick up soon and those games aren't pushing people to pick one up, it's gonna get real dark. Luckily they have that 3ds to lean on

#24 Edited by Hailinel (23941 posts) -

@extomar said:

People need to separate products from the producer. Nintendo doesn't seem to be going anywhere but due to multiple reasons, some of which are outlined already, Wii U might be too little and too late.

A key thing with the 3DS that many forget was that it was DOOMED until the price drop and the "retcon" of the 3D features to the point it has been supplanted by the 2DS. I hope some of are supporting a Wii U price drop and the abandonment of the controller.

The 2DS isn't really a "retcon" though. It's meant for kids that are too young for the 3D effect.

But these Wii U debate threads just aren't going away, are they?

#25 Edited by Novis (102 posts) -

I wish I could subscribe to just The Point and not Gamespot as a whole. I miss too much of Danny O'Dwyer's stuff.

#26 Edited by Mister_V (1212 posts) -

@novis: you could just follow him on Twitter. He links all his videos on there most of the time.

#27 Posted by spraynardtatum (2615 posts) -

All I can say is that whatever Zelda is on the WiiU it needs to be phenomenal. I think the WiiU still has a fighting chance.

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

Like I said in the other thread about this, we didn't know about the new Mario this time last year. Who knows what games they'll have next holiday? It's really just a math problem. As the number of games grows and the hardware gets cheaper, a purchase starts to make sense for more and more people. It will never be a sales juggernaut, but it can't get any worse than it is.

If Nintendo were smart they'd pull a Vita with the Wii U. Make it an enticing value proposition for 3ds owners. Some work on Virtual Console would go a long way I think. Start with a sync feature that allows you to play VC games on either the Wii U or the 3ds, with saves transferring easily between the two. Then get out all of the old games that were on the Wii, and then some, as quickly as possible. Look at how much the VC release got people talking about Earthbound. Maybe some way to play 3ds games on a tv (though I'm certain they'd look like garbage that way). If they work on value adds like that, try and get another price cut in, and announce a brand new, awesome looking Zelda then I think a lot more people would be interested in buying a Wii U.

#29 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2959 posts) -

Just too early to say, plain and simple. Is it doing well out the gate? Not so much.

#30 Edited by EXTomar (4508 posts) -

Who is making 3D games that require 3DS specific features? What are the 3DS features that are driving software on the platform? People say the 3DS recovered or saved but it seems more like it was abandoned in favor of "classic DS" features. That and actual wifi/network features....

But this is a thread about the Wii U and I really don't know if it has a future even with good games coming up. If one owns a Wii U, you have things to look forward too. If you don't own one today and don't care then those "things to look forward too" are not compelling today and might not be months from now when they are released and that is a serious problem.

#31 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@extomar: That seemed to boil down to, even though it has good games coming, that won't matter to people who don't own the console and don't care about those particular good games. Couldn't that be said about any console, ever? Sure applies to me and say, Destiny/Titanfall. Anyway, I still think it's waaaaay too early in the generation for this kind of nonsense. Too much still up in the air. I also don't think whether the unique features catch on really matters to the discussion. You mentioned that people weren't really using the 3D. That's true! But irrelevant, because if it's selling and people are playing games on it then it's still a success, 3D be damned. Likewise, if a stronger showing of games going forward start to bring in people- and it is above anything else the most reliable way to bring in people- then it really doesn't matter whether the unique features get used or not.

#32 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4161 posts) -

Hey, I wonder. Will Super Smash on 3DS outsell Super Smash on Wii U? Hmmmm?

#33 Posted by Quantris (238 posts) -

"Nintendo's base in Japan"

OK, I love you Danny but this is obviously a video designed to get views by simply affirming people's pre-existing opinions, instead of a real analysis based in facts.

#34 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Just too early to say, plain and simple. Is it doing well out the gate? Not so much.

a year is not early, specially when you loosing money.

#35 Posted by Marokai (2811 posts) -

These are "Wii U hate threads" now? Guys, the console has been bombing for the entirety of this year. It's a reality. Danny wasn't doing any kind of unfair piling on, he was just rationally and calmly assessing the situation. I'm so tired of anytime anyone says something except glowing praise about anything, ever, boom, they're instantly haters.

Threads about the Wii U's situation will go away when the system either dies or somehow miraculously becomes a success. Because this is a video game forum filled with thousands of individual people.

#36 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11487 posts) -

I think we're all underestimating how many people are going to buy that damn thing for Smash Bros and Mario Kart. They're what kept the Gamecube's sales numbers anywhere resembling relevance.

#37 Posted by GaspoweR (2818 posts) -

@humanity said:

@donmfjohnson said:
@humanity said:

@donmfjohnson said:
@bigjeffrey said:

@donmfjohnson said:

You guys are flying too close to the sun..

If we just put a description in every Quick Look game as a cricket game with a different interpretation in our Wiki database and since there is a clause in Danny's contract that states "Will be able to do content for other CBSi sites as long as it relates to cricket" since he is also CBSi's resident Cricket Analyst then we can have him in everything.

#38 Edited by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@donmfjohnson said:

If you want him to keep making his The Point and other such opinion piece videos, he's better off at Gamespot.

#39 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@marokai: Did you actually read the thread, or did you just see what you wanted to see? Noone said the Wii U was doing well currently- but it has been noted that

A) There is a larger number of interesting games on the horizen than there have been thus far, and

B) Calling a console doomed after a year, when the cycle will probably at least seven starting now is foolish

and literally not a single person has said anything bad about the person in the video, except maybe one or two people gently implying that the headline might be a bit hyperbolic. Though I suppose I can count one person who is jumping to conclusions and criticizing people for things that were never said. Boom, instant haters, yeah?

#40 Posted by RazielCuts (2937 posts) -

Out of the gate =/= A year later.

Although saying that it takes more than a year to develop a game these days so yeah, can't expect an abundance of games just yet, at least from third parties. (Unless you're making Wind Waker HD which took Nintendo 6 months apparently.)

#41 Edited by EXTomar (4508 posts) -

@towersixteen:

(edit: anyone else think the editor eating your post is highly annoying)

Why yes you are correct but lets put this way: People are suggesting Nintendo and the Wii U are going to be fine because of some future release will bring everyone back. This is like saying Wildstar looks neat and people are going to throw down hundreds of dollars on new hardware to play it. My experience is that fans aren't wrong about the game but they are incorrect on the assumption this motivates people when it comes to price tags.

So yeah, Wildstar is a pretty neat game but it is going to convince no one to change their gaming habits and spend a bunch of money on new hardware to play it. But Mario Kart for Wii U is also a pretty neat game and somehow it is going to get gamers to change and convince people to spend money on new hardware to play it? I am skeptical because this argument has never made sense and has nothing to do with love or hate for Nintendo.

#42 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@towersixteen said:

@marokai: Did you actually read the thread, or did you just see what you wanted to see? Noone said the Wii U was doing well currently- but it has been noted that

A) There is a larger number of interesting games on the horizen than there have been thus far, and

B) Calling a console doomed after a year, when the cycle will probably at least seven starting now is foolish

and literally not a single person has said anything bad about the person in the video, except maybe one or two people gently implying that the headline might be a bit hyperbolic. Though I suppose I can count one person who is jumping to conclusions and criticizing people for things that were never said. Boom, instant haters, yeah?

If a console gets outsold in 24 hours in a whole Country than yes you can say that. The Wii U even with these low sales had negative shipments in Europe at heir last financial report. 3rd parties are done with the Wii U that is for sure and this is not a hater speech these are facts. .

#43 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@darji: Jeezus, do you guys have a persecution complex, or something? Noone is calling anyone a hater, even though I do disagree with your assessment. And I don't think in a whole country is a good metric, we could've compared the Wii's sales to the 360's in Japan after all. And weak 3rd party support has never killed a Nintendo console yet, lord knows its tried enough times. I'm also not trying to say it'll outperform Sony or Microsoft, but there's a big difference between an abject failure and simply selling less than competition. I simply think it's still way too early to call in a console cycle that's likely to be close to a decade long.

#44 Posted by Marokai (2811 posts) -

@towersixteen: I'm sorry, I was a bit over-sensitive after seeing a couple posts lashing out at any kind of talking about the Wii U and instantly started writing my post at that point. I still feel like some people are over-sensitive on these boards, though, and jump to conclusions about a person while lacking context. Said something negative about a person, and some people automatically assume you hate the person because they lack all context for your statements, etc. In this case, saying something harsh about the Wii U doesn't mean I take glee in it's failure or am one of those "Nintendo is doomed" types.

I own a Wii U. But right now, calling it anything but a sales failure is ridiculous, because that is absolutely what it is. Danny isn't saying that's how it will always be, but just expressing concern that it doesn't appear like the games situation is going to get any better on the Wii U going forward, and the 3DS seems to be eating it's lunch. No major system from one of the big hardware makers that ever survived more than a year or two has ever sold this poorly. People need to accept that, no matter how you feel about Nintendo or the games themselves on the system (which are good!) the system is in dire, dire shape.

#45 Edited by TurboMan (7417 posts) -

Wii U will be done by 2015. Calling it now.

#46 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@donmfjohnson said:

In a way, Danny O'Dwyer is a lot like Super Mario 3D World. People who want him want him on their system of choice, which already have a bunch of other stuff they like, rather than having to go out of their way to the otherwise unappealing Gamespot.

#47 Edited by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

I bought a Wii U in the summer, as PC gamer, the Wii U is as good as any of the other consoles, I bought it for exclusives and when this generation is over Wii U will probably have as many games I play on it as my PS4.

I really hope Nintendo just drops the gimmicks for their next outing and makes a powerhouse console that goes head to head with the others, they win that game on their franchises alone. The casuals have forsaken you Nintendo, make a gamer machine and your faithful will return.

#48 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@marokai: Has that even happened since the Dreamcast? Nintendo (and the industry) is in a far different place, and can take the hits for now. And of course it's a failure currently, but now that the next gen is starting I think they've got a good chance to bounce back. Kids still want video games, and having worked at a daycare, I can confirm that by and large the elementary schoolers and their parents are Nintendo through and through. Those kids also are fairly crazy for Nintendo first party after years of mainly being DS and Wii kids. As support for the Wii dies more completely and good Nintendo first party starts really hitting, I think that crowd will start to put on a better show for the WiiU over the course of the next few years. Super Smash will probably draw in a nice crowd as well when it hits. Finally, the WiiU has finally started to kick some ass in Japan sales-wise- not to the level of the 3DS but it's a nice safety net for now. Will these things be enough for sure? Maybe not. But my position isn't "It will succeed" but "It's too early to call in the long run".

For the record, while I love my DS and 3DS to pieces I generally have no particular affection for Nintendo as a company.

#49 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@extomar: Wildstar, which I had never even heard of before and had to Google, isn't even close to analogous to, say, the power of the entire stable of Nintendo first party titles, which tend to be high quality and inspire a frankly frightening amount of brand loyalty in a lot of people.

#50 Posted by BanzaiBandito (69 posts) -

I think Nintendo will make a strong comeback when parents realize just how the two new consoles are able to increase the fidelity of violence and gore.