#1 Posted by Hailinel (23957 posts) -

To which I say...who?

But yeah. Apparently, Nordic Games, a Swedish publisher for games like Singstar and Painkiller HD, has won the rights to Darksiders, Red Faction, Full Spectrum Warrior, Destroy All Humans, and numerous other former THQ properties.

#2 Edited by DrDarkStryfe (1094 posts) -

Only 505 Games walked away with something else, the Drawn to Life games.

#3 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -
#4 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

i wouldn't be surprised if the CEO was all

"hey let's be funny and make a bid on this lot, I mean it's not like we'd actually win right?"

(I know this wouldn't actually happen but let me have my delusions)

#5 Posted by MildMolasses (3214 posts) -

@hailinel said:

To which I say...who?

I read the story on Polygon and all I wanted to know was who the fuck Nordic Games were. All they had to do was mention one game they had been involved with and I would have been happy, but they mentioned nothing.

Upon finding out who they were, I can say I honestly don't expect much from any of those properties ever again

#6 Edited by psylah (2162 posts) -

Fuck yeah.

Norwegians.

Black Metal.

Darksiders.

#7 Edited by Animasta (14650 posts) -

@psylah: they're actually swedish, which is more death metal than black metal

#8 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1844 posts) -

Without Vigil behind it, I really don't care about Darksiders.

#9 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2984 posts) -

Hm. Alrighty then. Someone call me when the next Red Faction comes out.

#10 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2313 posts) -

Man I remember Crytek was going to bid on Darksiders and give it a studio made up largely by ex-Vigil employees. Fuck Nordic Games. Probably gonna turn Darksiders into a screamo Singstar or some shit.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (23957 posts) -

Man I remember Crytek was going to bid on Darksiders and give it a studio made up largely by ex-Vigil employees. Fuck Nordic Games. Probably gonna turn Darksiders into a screamo Singstar or some shit.

Was it ever really confirmed that Crytek intended to bid on Darksiders?

#12 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2214 posts) -

I don't have much experience with Nordic's past games so I'm hoping these franchises can be made with care and dedication but since neither those two franchises make enough money to cover costs then I have my doubts.

#13 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2313 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@turtlebird95 said:

Yup.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (23957 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@turtlebird95 said:

Yup.

Welp. That's disappointing, though I wouldn't go so far as to say fuck Nordic Games just yet. Whatever their intent, they obviously entered the auction with a higher bid than Crytek.

#15 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

@animasta said:

Death Metal is better anyway. But seeing the games they've published, I'm not too excited about this news.

#16 Posted by TheHT (10929 posts) -

@animasta said:

Which is way more fitting!

#17 Edited by Slag (4070 posts) -

at least it's somebody

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23957 posts) -

@slag said:

at least it's somebody

This is true.

At the very least, Nordic Games has the opportunity to make money by selling these IP to companies for a profit or licensing them out to anyone that wants to use them. Unless they intended to spend over four and a half million dollars just to sit on a bunch of properties they have no intention of using, they're bound to search for some way to turn a profit on this.

#19 Edited by Icemael (6312 posts) -

@turtlebird95 said:

Man I remember Crytek was going to bid on Darksiders and give it a studio made up largely by ex-Vigil employees.

PlatinumGames' producer said he wanted to buy it too. And actual strategy game developers like Stardock and Paradox bid on Homeworld. These THQ auctions could have gone so well...

#20 Posted by Slag (4070 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@slag said:

at least it's somebody

This is true.

At the very least, Nordic Games has the opportunity to make money by selling these IP to companies for a profit or licensing them out to anyone that wants to use them. Unless they intended to spend over four and a half million dollars just to sit on a bunch of properties they have no intention of using, they're bound to search for some way to turn a profit on this.

agreed.

I was afraid some Private Equity firm would buy the IP and try to sit on them until they got a huge bidder. These guys seem like they actually want to use the library.

#21 Posted by zels (204 posts) -

@hailinel said:

You don't know about Nordic, do you? :D

If Jowood (which Nordic bought) is any indication this is precisely what they'll do.

Also, great website Nordic....