• 111 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by Totori (559 posts) -

David Cage said "We don't need a new generation of machines to make new games. People just got lazy."  No one wants to make something new at the tail of a console's life.  why not? Why not make something new. New stuff gets people talking. A new game that no one has seen before has positive buzz from birth, just because it's something new.  What are the two things people talking about from E3, Watch dogs and the last of us. Two brand new things coming out on current gen hardware. There were three number fours at the show.  A gears of war 4 that no one cares about. God of war 4 that no one cares about and Halo 4 which people do care about because it's doing something different.  

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait. I think the Assassin's Creed games are the best games this generation. Dishonored, beyond, watch dogs, the last of us new games can come out and they don't have to be crappy indie games. I don't like indie games, I never cared for Mario past the snes. There fore a thousand Mario type games hold no interest for me.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

#3 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

Gears of War 4 got announced? So Marcus goes through PTSD while Anya is victimized at the household? Also Assassin's Creed 5? Dang, Desmond can't get a vacation; probably has to play as himself playing the first Assassin's Creed. POSTMODERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

You would have a very different viewpoint if you were dealing with millions of dollars of investment and the current console gen was closing out.

#5 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

AC3 is the 5th assassin's creed game. 
 
@ThePhantomnaut
Gears of war Judgement is the 4th gears of war game. just like MGS3  and DMC3 were prequels.
#6 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

You had me at we don't need new consoles to come up with new ideas and lost me at, like, everywhere else (in part because you start rambling and I stop having any idea what you're talking about).

#7 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Vinny_Says said:

You would have a very different viewpoint if you were dealing with millions of dollars of investment and the current console gen was closing out.

current consoles are only coming to an end because no one is make new stuff.
#8 Edited by falling_fast (2279 posts) -

I agree with you.

we would both be terrible businessmen apparently. :/

#9 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

AC3 is the 5th assassin's creed game.

@ThePhantomnaut: Gears of war Judgement is the 4th gears of war game. just like MGS3 and DMC3 were prequels.

But Assassin's Creed 3 is not Assassin's Creed 5 and Gears of War Judgement is Gears of War 4.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

AC3 is the 5th assassin's creed game.

Tenth-ish, actually.

#11 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

AC3 is the 5th assassin's creed game.

@ThePhantomnaut: Gears of war Judgement is the 4th gears of war game. just like MGS3 and DMC3 were prequels.

You can't just up and say "Assassin's Creed 5" when it's considered the third game. Revelations and Brotherhood are more expansion packs to the second game than full-on sequels themselves, and Gears of War Judgement is a side story and not a main entry in the series.

Just out of curiosity, what number do you assign Resident Evil 6?

Online
#12 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I'm just assuming that we're seeing a lot of number fours because the a-team is working on a fresh IP for the next round of consoles.

#13 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:

@Totori said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

AC3 is the 5th assassin's creed game.

@ThePhantomnaut: Gears of war Judgement is the 4th gears of war game. just like MGS3 and DMC3 were prequels.

But Assassin's Creed 3 is not Assassin's Creed 5 and Gears of War Judgement is Gears of War 4.

The only reason they are not, is because of marketing. Not counting brotherhood and revelations, says they are side stories with nothing to do with the main numbered games. That is total bullshit because they have A LOT to do with the main story.
#14 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@damnable_fiend said:

I agree with you.

we would both be terrible businessmen apparently. :/

You make a good game for a console everyone already owns. I see no fault in that plan.
#15 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

@Totori said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@Totori said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

AC3 is the 5th assassin's creed game.

@ThePhantomnaut: Gears of war Judgement is the 4th gears of war game. just like MGS3 and DMC3 were prequels.

But Assassin's Creed 3 is not Assassin's Creed 5 and Gears of War Judgement is Gears of War 4.

The only reason they are not, is because of marketing. Not counting brotherhood and revelations, says they are side stories with nothing to do with the main numbered games. That is total bullshit because they have A LOT to do with the main story.

Regardless, Assassin's Creed 3 is not Assassin's Creed 5 and Gears of War Judgement is Gears of War 4.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3723 posts) -

I too believe that there is steam in the consoles of today , but as many mention perhaps they are saving the new stuff to actually justify the release of new hardware , or perhaps they dont know what else to do , or just doesnt want to , after all COD sells a shit ton and barely has improved since MW4 .... who knows :/

#17 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@believer258: re6 is re6 capcom does not bullshit with their numbers for marketing purposes, other purposes maybe.
#18 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

Yes, that's true, but you're ignoring how incredibly young video games still are, and how insane console leaps (especially this one) can so drastically change the landscape of games being created. Go read the new Game Informer article about Unreal Engine 4 and you'll see what I mean. The fact is, moving companies onto more powerful hardware will allow games that we never dreamed of to be created because the mechanics in those games wouldn't be possible on older systems. You talk about Assassins Creed, and that's a game that would never have been able to be made on the previous consoles because of simple mechanical hurdles that would be to great for the systems to overcome and the developers would simply not have the resources to make a game like that, and the same thing goes for Uncharted. Obviously, if this generation kept on going companies could still make new and exciting games, but the new capabilities of hardware and game creation allow for new possibilities in games. Look at CoD 4 Modern Warfare. Yes, that franchise has been beaten to death by now, and we are coming towards the 9th game in the series, but that doesn't mean Game 1 is the same as Game 9. Chances are much greater that someone will break this Call of Duty cycle of death with groundbreaking new mechanics due to new hardware rather than shear innovation on the side of the company alone. The fact is, a new generation forces companies into innovation because if they don't do it, someone else will. If Call of Duty or Halo don't make drastic innovations in the shooter area, or if GTA doesn't reinvent open world games, than someone else will because of the new systems, and the chances of any of that happening without the hardware change is really slim. This is all right now in video game history though, 10 years from now we may not even have dedicated hardware, and then this whole thing may change completely.

#19 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:

@Totori said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@Totori said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori said:

Now I'm not saying sequels are bad Assassin's Creed 5 comes out this year and I can't wait.

Wait, it does!? Is it like World War V, where you just skip over III and IV for no goddamn reason?

AC3 is the 5th assassin's creed game.

@ThePhantomnaut: Gears of war Judgement is the 4th gears of war game. just like MGS3 and DMC3 were prequels.

But Assassin's Creed 3 is not Assassin's Creed 5 and Gears of War Judgement is Gears of War 4.

The only reason they are not, is because of marketing. Not counting brotherhood and revelations, says they are side stories with nothing to do with the main numbered games. That is total bullshit because they have A LOT to do with the main story.

Regardless, Assassin's Creed 3 is not Assassin's Creed 5 and Gears of War Judgement is Gears of War 4.

So I haven't played 4 Assassin's Creed games and am waiting for the 5th?
#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Totori said:

So I haven't played 4 Assassin's Creed games and am waiting for the 5th?

You have, but it seems you do not understand the difference between names and ordinal numbering systems. The two are separate.

#21 Edited by RecSpec (3929 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts 12, coming this July. 
 
It has nothing to do with the console cycle, no one wants to make new stuff at ANY time. Too much risk the way the game dev business is these days. 

#22 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@Totori
@Vinny_Says said:

You would have a very different viewpoint if you were dealing with millions of dollars of investment and the current console gen was closing out.

current consoles are only coming to an end because no one is make new stuff.
So...your comment is towards how games have been since the beginning? I'm confused. The cycles have always been there...and this has been a pretty long cycle so far. Longer than than the ps2 to ps3. Developers want new hardware as much as the publishers do in a lot of cases. Let me make a correlation. I'm a smart person. If I'm working on the exact same shit over and over again, my creativity stagnates. Developers are the same way. We're human, we need something new to stimulate our creative capacities a lot of times. It extends to all facets of life, not just games. Do what are you going on about again?
#23 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

That's one of the reasons I defend Heavy Rain. It's tragically flawed but it's like no other game I've played before.

#24 Posted by Aetheldod (3723 posts) -

@Totori: What about code Veronica and all the myriad of RE games? The bad light gun ones? What about the 3Ds one?

#25 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Aetheldod said:

@Totori: What about code Veronica and all the myriad of RE games? The bad light gun ones? What about the 3Ds one?

Those are actually side stories unlike the two assassin's creed games.
#26 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Gotta love when the internet gets more caught up in semantics instead of the actual point of the topic. Who gives a shit if you consider it AC 3 or 5 or 100.

#27 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
Kingdom Hearts 12, coming this July.  It has nothing to do with the console cycle, no one wants to make new stuff at ANY time. Too much risk the way the game dev business is these days. 
No they want to make something new at the start of a new cycle, because it'll be the only thing to buy. Thus turning the great risk of a new IP into practically no risk at all.
#28 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Aetheldod said:

@Totori: What about code Veronica and all the myriad of RE games? The bad light gun ones? What about the 3Ds one?

Those are actually side stories unlike the two assassin's creed games.

You say this right after arguing the logic:

"So I haven't played 4 Assassin's Creed games and am waiting for the 5th?"

you're gonna have to decide and specifically word how you're numbering games in your kooky head.

#29 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

David Cage is the worst kind of artist, because he's the kind that has no concept of money and how others have to work to get it. Sony gives him money, he does whatever he wants, and then he lectures everyone how they're being a bunch of cravens because they can't get free money and spend it however they want. We talk about entitled gamers, David Cage sounds completely fucking entitled.

Man, that really hit a nerve with me for some reason. Nothing makes me more indignant than the idea that Someone Else should pay for your entertainment.

#30 Posted by RecSpec (3929 posts) -
@Totori said:
@RecSpec said:
Kingdom Hearts 12, coming this July.  It has nothing to do with the console cycle, no one wants to make new stuff at ANY time. Too much risk the way the game dev business is these days. 
No they want to make something new at the start of a new cycle, because it'll be the only thing to buy. Thus turning the great risk of a new IP into practically no risk at all.
You haven't been paying attention to the last few console launches then have you? NOBODY does that anymore.
#31 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

David Cage is the worst kind of artist, because he's the kind that has no concept of money and how others have to work to get it. Sony gives him money, he does whatever he wants, and then he lectures everyone how they're being a bunch of cravens because they can't get free money and spend it however they want. We talk about entitled gamers, David Cage sounds completely fucking entitled. Man, that really hit a nerve with me for some reason. Nothing makes me more indignant than the idea that Someone Else should pay for your entertainment.

Wait so David Cage is the only developer who gets money?

#32 Posted by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

Money.

#33 Posted by EchoEcho (837 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I also like the fact that he's only put out a single game so far this generation, with Beyond eventually being the second, and he's calling other developers lazy.

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

It has nothing to do with the console cycle, no one wants to make new stuff at ANY time.

It generally doesn't help that they can't. I'm not saying that in a derisive way, but outlining the reality of the situation.

#35 Posted by RecSpec (3929 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@RecSpec said:

It has nothing to do with the console cycle, no one wants to make new stuff at ANY time.

It generally doesn't help that they can't. I'm not saying that in a derisive way, but outlining the reality of the situation.

Yeah, it's a shame. Most new IPs these days have to be multiple game investments it seems.
#36 Edited by Totori (559 posts) -
@Freshbandito: I said the unnumbered Resident Evil games are side stories, but the unnumbered assassin's creed games are full on AC games.
#37 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

But David Cage doesn't make games.

#38 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Gears of War 4?

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@RecSpec:

I meant more in an artistic fashion, but the financial reality certainly complicates any attempts.

#40 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
@Video_Game_King said:

@RecSpec said:

It has nothing to do with the console cycle, no one wants to make new stuff at ANY time.

It generally doesn't help that they can't. I'm not saying that in a derisive way, but outlining the reality of the situation.

Yeah, it's a shame. Most new IPs these days have to be multiple game investments it seems.
Well everyone wants more of something good. If I like watch dogs when it comes out. I sure as hell will want watch dogs 2.
#41 Posted by BionicRadd (616 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@Brodehouse: I also like the fact that he's only put out a single game so far this generation, with Beyond eventually being the second, and he's calling other developers lazy.

He's doing better than Team ICO. :)

As for the OP, games fall off at the end of a console cycle because the big devs get dev kits for the new hardware. The day that happens, current console games start dropping in quality and quantity, overall. Contrary to what some uppity arthouse game dev seems to think (I can like his games without liking him), game development slows down at the end of a cycle because the next cycle is in the pipe. If MS and Sony weren't ready to put out new hardware, they wouldn't have sent out dev kits and no one is going to convince me dev kits for PS4 and Xbox 720 aren't in the hands of EA and Activision. It just so happens that we live in a world where games take 2-3 years to make. That's why the dev kits are probably out there, but no one is talking about it. If you go too long between announcement and release, you lose all your momentum. We'll see the new consoles probably at E3, next year and then we'll see them released either Holiday 2013 or Holiday 2014.

The best part about all this is I bet Cage is working on something for PS4, too.

#42 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@Totori: then maybe you should look at your wording, after all have I not played far more than 5 resident evil games before this upcoming 6th? decide which statement you actually meant and which was a mistake and stick to it, it'll make it look more like you have a valid point.

#43 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

@Totori said:

@believer258: re6 is re6 capcom does not bullshit with their numbers for marketing purposes, other purposes maybe.

Then how did you number Assassin's Creed 3 as AC5, and Gears Judgement as Gears 4? The former stars a new character in a new era, the latter is a game that we know nothing about.

(This is a rather petty thing to argue, but you're going to confuse the hell out of people if you use your numbering and not what the developers are actually naming it.)

Online
#44 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Vinny_Says said:

You would have a very different viewpoint if you were dealing with millions of dollars of investment and the current console gen was closing out.

current consoles are only coming to an end because no one is make new stuff.

Are you kidding me? This is the longest console generation since the 80's when consoles started becoming popular thanks to Nintendo. Current consoles are coming to an end because it's time for them to die and they all have massive hardware limitations. Look at how many years separated the NES/SNES, SNES/N64, N64/GC, GC/Wii. I'm obviously just using Nintendo since they've been in the home console most successfully and longer than the other two.

The fact that the Xbox 360 ushered in this gen in 2005 is weird and is proof that this gen must end within the next year. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

#45 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@believer258: Well I would not go to the store and ask for AC5, but it is true that it's the 5th game.
#46 Edited by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Freshbandito: I said the unnumbered Resident Evil games are side stories, but the unnumbered assassin's creed games are full on AC games.

Actually, the RE games are full on RE games. If you're saying that Code Veronica is not a full RE game that involves core characters and advancing the plot of the main RE series, then I have absolutely no idea what in the AC games you consider to be "full" that couldn't also be applied to Veronica, and, let's face it, probably several of the other games too (like the one on the 3Ds, how Operation Raccoon City differs from RE3 which has no relevance to the actual plot of the story at all beyond "they blewd up Raccoon City." how, at least the first Wii railshooter game adds additional canon material; especially regarding Wesker and the fall of Umbrella, the fact that RE Zero, despite being labeled with Zero and being a prequel doesn't mean that it doesn't increase the number - for example how you state that DMC3 should still be labeled DMC3 while being a prequel.)

Aslo, where was it confirmed that Watch Dogs is for the current generation of consoles?

And if you're honestly going to tell me that the visuals on Star Wars 1313 don't give credence to "why we need new consoles"... Well, apparently you don't ever want games to look better than they do now.

#47 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

I know he is saving Omikron 2 for next-gen.

#48 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

@Totori said:

@believer258: Well I would not go to the store and ask for AC5, but it is true that it's the 5th game.

It is true that Assassin's Creed Revelations and Brotherhood are full-on AC games, yes, but they're a continuation of Ezio's story. They didn't move on from there. AC3 is moving on from that particular storyline and thus gets itself a shiny new number on the end instead of a subtitle.

As for Resident Evil, a lot of its unnumbered entries advance the canon (so much as it is) just as much as numbered games.

I'm not arguing this for the sake of proving you wrong, I'm arguing this because this is a great way to introduce confusion. Confusion sucks. Please, just call it what the developers called it.

Online
#49 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@FateOfNever: joystiq, the president of ubisoft and Ryan all said watch dogs is current gen.
#50 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

@Totori said:

@FateOfNever: joystiq, the president of ubisoft and Ryan all said watch dogs is current gen.

Ok. That answers one question. What about everything else?