#1 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

"

It's no secret that cult ArmA 2 mod DayZ will be getting a standalone PC release, courtesy of publisher Bohemia Interactive. The big question now is, will the game also come to consoles?

"Well, duh", is the paraphrased answer from producer Jan Kunt.

"You've seen the success of Minecraft on Xbox LIVE Arcade, and we'd probably be stupid not to try to do something similar," Kunt told Videogamer.com while showing off Bohemia's new take on RTS classic Carrier Command.

Minecraft has clocked up four million sales on Live Arcade in just over three months. Who wouldn't want a taste of that pie?

"We've always wanted to make games for consoles as well," Kunt explained. "Obviously we're a PC developer and have been for some years, but consoles have a huge market and you don't have so many problems with piracy.

"So it's really interesting. PC is what it is, and I personally think PC players will stay as PC players, but the console has more penetration into mainstream markets. People who wouldn't play games on PC, they buy an Xbox or PS3 as a medium to play games. So from that point of view it makes sense to go for consoles."

Eurogamer's own James Hill delved into the game in a series of video diaries. You can watch his first adorable Bambi-style steps into DayZ's ruthless zombie world below."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-12-bohemia-would-be-stupid-not-to-bring-dayz-to-consoles

i think this would be a real treat for console owners. the more people that get to play and enjoy a game the better... right?

#2 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

Kunt explained.

#3 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1833 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

@Bell_End said:

Kunt explained.

tee hee

#4 Posted by N7 (3589 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

@Bell_End said:

Kunt explained.

Your avatar is perfect for that.

Anywho, we already have that other Arma like game that they made whose name escapes me right now, and it ran fine on consoles, so it's a thing that totally can happen.

#5 Edited by believer258 (11911 posts) -

That is a wonderful last name.

EDIT: I should post something on topic, and that something is "cool; I hope they don't start making Call of Duty ripoffs and giving buggy ports to PC."

#6 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

@N7 said:

we already have that other Arma like game that they made whose name escapes me right now, and it ran fine on consoles, so it's a thing that totally can happen.

MAG?

#7 Posted by aspaceinvader (257 posts) -

His name would be banned on xboxlive lol but class

#8 Posted by CodeTherion (42 posts) -
#9 Posted by falling_fast (2224 posts) -

the console release would have to make some serious compromises, probably.

#10 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Good. Day-Z is nothing of what Arma is about. The only problem that might be an issue are servers, but I trust the guys at BIS are smart enough to make it happen regardless of what problems they might have.

Who knows what could happen? If this is successful, it'll spawn off an entire new genre of survival based MMO's full of cheap clones. Hopefully this gets the GB staff a little more interested in them this time.

#11 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -

Man, what a kunt.

#12 Posted by N7 (3589 posts) -

@CodeTherion said:

@believer258: The Operation Flashpoint franchise I believe.

That's the one. I played them both on PS3 and they were great. Well, the first one was. The second one was kind of weird as it tried to force this open world into very small and closed off points. But still, yeah, that's the one.

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I agree. It would be stupid to not bring Kunt to consoles.

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

How is this news? In a perfect world every dev would want to put their game on consoles.

#15 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Considering how few actions are required for DayZ compared to actual Arma2, it probably would work on consoles. But the unit commanding stuff from regular Arma would require a special controller of some sort, or they would have to offer a commo-rose style interface that goes several layers deep.

#16 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

DayZ could work perfectly fine on consoles, so I'm not surprised that they are looking at the possibility for bringing the stand-alone game over, especially looking at the success of Minecraft (and with Terreria apparently also coming to consoles now).

Hopefully this won't affect the game, so it will be hindered in any way for the games original vision though.

#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I agree. It would be stupid to not bring Kunt to consoles.

"From the fine makers of Kunt"

#18 Posted by Bollard (5550 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Gizmo said:

@Bell_End said:

Kunt explained.

Your avatar is perfect for that.

Anywho, we already have that other Arma like game that they made whose name escapes me right now, and it ran fine on consoles, so it's a thing that totally can happen.

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising/Red River. Also, ArmA 2 requires higher PC specs than you would think cause of the long draw distances and insane amount of AI they have. I guess if they trim that out (zombies are a good excuse for that) and shorten up the draw distance I guess it's plausible.

#19 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

consoles are where the money is.

#20 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

From the fine makers of Kunt.

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

I read the title as "Jay-Z producer Dan Kunt"

#22 Posted by DeathbyYeti (744 posts) -

heh

#23 Posted by AssInAss (2648 posts) -

Great name.

#24 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

@Bell_End said:

Kunt explained.

Lulz.

#25 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I actually came in here to see the status of Kunt coming to consoles, but then Kunt. I also think Kunt. So that's why Kunt.

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

Don't worry console owners, this Kunt has it all figured out.

#27 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

Keep going for that low hanging fruit, guys.

#28 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1618 posts) -

Shouldnt they make ... i dont know ... a decently working game before talking about porting it to anything?

#29 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Well this really isn't surprising news for a game that done as well as DayZ has, expanding that audience over to the console market screams $$$ if handled correctly, they need to ride that momentum into the console space for those extra purchases on top of the guaranteed ones they'll get.

#30 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
#31 Posted by Delta_Ass (3280 posts) -

The guy's last name is actually Kunt? I feel bad for his childhood.

#32 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

The guy's last name is actually Kunt? I feel bad for his childhood.

I dont think he's english. His name is probably nothing funny in his own language. He probably gets some shit about it now on twitter tho.

#33 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

lol at all the kunt jokes.

would be good. i've tried playing day-z but i have problem with my cd key. it says something like unverified cd key. i bought arma and arma arrow head on steam.

#34 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I tried Day Z. I like the idea, but the feel of it, as in, controls - were just horrible. I felt disconnected from the gameplay in a major way. I hope the standalone release is better.

#35 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

yeah they'd need to really work on that engine, it already runs crappy enough on PC :P

#36 Posted by Brandino (250 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

the console release would have to make some serious compromises, probably.

Pretty sure they could release it on Durango and PS4 without compromising any of the gameplay or scope. This generation of consoles? They could release a smaller version of it but a very competent version.

#37 Edited by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

Arma is more complicated than the Operation Flashpoint games on the consoles. The original Operation Flaspoint was made by the Arma developer, but not the new ones. Dayz might work because its a simpler game, but Arma would not easily work as it normally is.

#38 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

The things I like about Day Z would be awesome on a console. A smaller more focused map with 32 players and a progression system would be pretty sick.

#39 Posted by Korwin (2864 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Gizmo said:

@Bell_End said:

Kunt explained.

tee hee

There's something funny about his name... but I kunt quite figure it out.

#40 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

Kunt would like to see his product spread across all of your screens.