oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By oDawg

Dear Giantbomb,

The Dead Island ad is insane. It is so loud, and so long, and so repetitive that I've seriously changed my surfing habits and no longer habitually check your content.

Just a heads up.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Feels like they don't care, been hearing this complaint for weeks

But I live in Europe and I never see ads :)

No ads with premium membership....

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Install adblock and buy a tshirt.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By benpicko

@MrKlorox said:

Install adblock and buy a tshirt.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meowshi

RATED M FOR MATURE

ALL WAS QUIET

AND THEN

EVERYTHING WENT CRAZY

*ZOMBIE SCREAM*

*PIANO RIFF* BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH

It confuses me how the ad can be so loud, yet the audio for the actual videos is always so low, even with my speakers turned up to maximum.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I honestly wouldn't care as much if it wasn't so fucking loud. And the ad's made me not want to play Dead Island, because it sucks.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Ursus_Veritas
@Meowshi: I've noticed this lately too, I have my laptop on full volume and the GB player up at 100%, and the commentary from the crew is really quiet.
MostlyBearded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MostlyBearded

It's the audio that I have the biggest complaint with. Couldn't they just lower the ad volume (since all the videos, even before the ads were, always that low)?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

Likewise, it's the volume that bugs the shit out of me. I mute videos upon hitting play until the video I wanted starts.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1

What ad?

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GooieGreen

The volume is bad (since I see how low I have their video volume set to), but nothing annoys me more than hearing "They Coming"! The volume wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't have to sit through the same damn video. This must have been a massive media buy since it is still running.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't watch movies on FX for the same reason.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shookems

If there's anything tempting me into becoming a subscriber, it's not having to hear that dreadful ad ever again.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By imsh_pl

"Ad"...?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

So I logged out and started a video to see what you mean, and yes it was quite a bit louder than the GB video intro tune or speech when I had my soundcard's normalizer off. But when it was on, the ad was only slightly louder than the strum, and the speech was clear and present.

What soundchips do most of you have? If PC I'll have to assume Realtek. I use a Creative, but I have a Realtek built in to my motherboard and am downloading the drivers for it now. I seem to remember a friend's Realtek having the ability to normalize, but I can't remember what they called it or where in the driver settings it was located. I'll try to get it working installed and post back results. I'm almost always using mine, regardless of whether ads are present. Volumes swing wildly otherwise.

ThrustMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThrustMuscle

Finally someone is addressing this. It's fucking ridiculous I can hardly stand it, and i'm a huge fan of this site, been following these guys since gamespot. Haven't paid for a membership because FUCK THAT! Period. Free internet is good internet, and that's the damn truth. As soon as they made us start paying I knew it was all downhill from there. The charm that originally drew me in is all but gone, and I'm literally finding myself avoiding this website when I would usually be looking forward to it.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ABritishNerd
@msavo
What ad?
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dany

with the amount of bitching about this dead island ad, I m sure they are going to be more 'selective' when it comes to future video ads

QuietAlien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By QuietAlien

I see it as my punishment for not renewing my membership. I DESERVE IT! It is really loud though.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lockwoodx
@Dany said:

with the amount of bitching about this dead island ad, I m sure they are going to be more 'selective' when it comes to future video ads

Can they be, or is that just part of the standard google package of advertising?
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Hizang

Suck it up and buy a membership to avoid the ads.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By evilrazer

AdBlockPlus is the way to go. Or sign up.

And again. If you think about it, $50 are close to 0.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox
@MrKlorox said:

So I logged out and started a video to see what you mean, and yes it was quite a bit louder than the GB video intro tune or speech when I had my soundcard's normalizer off. But when it was on, the ad was only slightly louder than the strum, and the speech was clear and present.  What soundchips do most of you have? If PC I'll have to assume Realtek. I use a Creative, but I have a Realtek built in to my motherboard and am downloading the drivers for it now. I seem to remember a friend's Realtek having the ability to normalize, but I can't remember what they called it or where in the driver settings it was located. I'll try to get it working installed and post back results. I'm almost always using mine, regardless of whether ads are present. Volumes swing wildly otherwise.

click
 click

Okay, on my Realtek HD Audio Device, I installed the latest drivers from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/and after rebooting opened the Realtek HD Audio Manager from the system tray, but it's also in the Control Panel. On the Sound Effects tab, enable Loudness Equalization (see screenshot), set your volume to a comfortable level, and watch a video on the website to get the ad. Do it a couple times and check/uncheck the box some while the ad and video are playing to hear the difference. The ads are quieter and the videos are louder. 

Mac dudes, I can't help you. But I'd bet your machines are capable of something similar. Also I don't know if you guys with Realtek AC'97 chips have the setting available.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Just AdBlock+ dat sheeeeeeeeit.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dany

@Buzzkill said:

@Dany said:

Can they be, or is that just part of the standard google package of advertising?

For video ads that play infront of videos, that doesn't use adsense. I remember jeff saying he approved of the ad deal before the dead island tnt

@Hizang said:

Giantbomb has strived to make ads as non intrusive as possible, from the sounds of this, this dead island ad does not follow the 'protocol'

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

Buying a membership because of shitty ads is like paying ransom. Don't let that be your reason to subscribe.

If you must use adblock, at least have the decency to visit the store and offer a sign of good will.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#27  Edited By alistercat

People complain that they have any form of paid content, people complain when they manage to secure one of the few gaming related ad deals they could get. People complain when they have any ad deals and aren't able to control the type of ads they get. It's like people want them to go under, and they will if people had their way. These things fund themselves with air apparently.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Amilmitt

If you premium people would listen.

we aren't complain about the fact that there is and ad, but the fact that the ad IS SO DAMN LOUD compared to the normal videos.

i have my audio set to a level that makes the videos comfortable to listen to, but then the ad plays and my ear drums get blown out. i cant even use my speaker system on giantbomb as when that trailer plays the whole apartment hears the fucking thing.

I'm i 100% ok with there being and ad, but when i have my audio set on low and i jump out of my seat when the trailer starts, i stop wanting to watch videos here.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#29  Edited By alistercat

@Amilmitt: "you premium people", nice. Whiskey Media videos are quieter than what would be considered 'normal' and since they didn't mix the ads themselves they cant control the volume. It'd be the same anywhere else they made the ad deal.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Baillie

Ads are bullshit, and when they are intrusive like this, it makes it even worse. It's not a great incentive to sign up for a membership, that should be from wanting to, not begrudgingly needing too.

I don't understand why people are being dicks to the guys who are voicing an opinion on something the staff have said numerous times shouldn't be an issue. It's false advertising.

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Floope

@evilrazer said:

And again. If you think about it, $50 are close to 0.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@FluxWaveZ said:
 Dead Island sucks.
There we go.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By FengShuiGod

Yes people with subscriptions, we know you don't see ads, and we know signing up would disable them. The issue isn't the ad. It's how the ad is SO LOUD. I also wouldn't mind a little more variety, but hey. The big issue is the the volume. Either the ad should be quieter, or the actual content should be louder. Turning my volume down when I hear ear splitting zombie screams, then turning it back up after 30 seconds is kinda annoying.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Dagbiker

@MostlyBearded said:

It's the audio that I have the biggest complaint with. Couldn't they just lower the ad volume (since all the videos, even before the ads were, always that low)?

I doubt they can edit the video

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Meowshi

@AlisterCat said:

People complain that they have any form of paid content, people complain when they manage to secure one of the few gaming related ad deals they could get. People complain when they have any ad deals and aren't able to control the type of ads they get. It's like people want them to go under, and they will if people had their way. These things fund themselves with air apparently.

Blah blah blah blah, no one gives a fuck champ. I'm just wondering if there are any plans to roll some new ads through, because the current one is annoying as fuck. If you want to read more into it than that, be my guest. Far be it from me to stop someone from doing something stupid.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Meowshi

@Hizang said:

If I get a subscription, it will be because I want to support the site, not because I want a work-around an annoying advertisement.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quit bitching then an buy a subscription. I don't think anyone cares if you don't like the ad, its what you have to deal with for not subscribing. It sucks, but them's the breaks.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By Dagbiker

@Meowshi said:

@Hizang said:

If I get a subscription, it will be because I want to support the site, not because I want a work-around an annoying advertisement.

well until then, enjoy the Dead space ad

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meowshi

@President_Barackbar said:

Quit bitching then an buy a subscription. I don't think anyone cares if you don't like the ad, its what you have to deal with for not subscribing. It sucks, but them's the breaks.

Or we can provide feedback, and hopefully the ads will get better, thereby making everyone happy. Frankly I'm getting sick and tired of everyone telling everyone else to buy a subscription. You aren't Whiskey Media's personal business salesman, so why don't you stop pretending like you are. You can tell me what I should do with my money the second you start doing my job for me.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheHumanDove

I love dead island. I laugh at your misfortune

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By buzz_killington

THEY COMING

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Meowshi

@Dagbiker said:

@Meowshi said:

@Hizang said:

well until then, enjoy the Dead space ad

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox

Has nobody tried my suggestion? You can't blame Giant Bomb for loud-ass commercials, especially if you don't even have your soundcard set up properly. Television ads are usually louder than the shows they're airing in between, and they use the exact same ads on the net. Home audio manufacturers have started including volume compression settings like Night Mode to make it easier on the consumer end. The "Volume Equalization" setting on Realtek chips is basically the same thing.

What if the WM designers made it so it checks what volume level you've set, then halves it during the initial ad, then sets it back to your initial setting unless changed while the ad was playing (in which case the new setting would be kept)?

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SmilingPig

How long did they pay the ads for?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meowshi said:

@President_Barackbar said:

Or we can provide feedback, and hopefully the ads will get better, thereby making everyone happy. Frankly I'm getting sick and tired of everyone telling everyone else to buy a subscription. You aren't Whiskey Media's personal business salesman, so why don't you stop pretending like you are. You can tell me what I should do with my money the second you start doing my job for me.

I'm not trying to "sell you" on anything. I'm just saying that it's something you're going to have to deal with if you don't/can't subscribe. There's really no such thing as perfect and unobtrusive advertising, the whole point is to be in your face so they attract your attention.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DrPockets000

Or you could, like, turn down the volume?

Ads are necessary, how the hell do you think Whiskey keeps doing their thing? I'm not telling you to buy a subscription, I'm saying that you can't keep expecting the massive amounts of content to be free, because they're not. It's an enormously expensive gig they're running and it needs to get paid for somehow.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By buzz_killington

At lest it's not like the dish detergent "interactive" commercials on Ustream. They've been running the same shit for a few years now. The jingle is inscribed in my brain. Is it for Cascade or Tide?

Wow... I've seen the same ad so many times I've forgotten what it's about. HOW CAN THIS BE?

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By stalefishies
@AlisterCat said:

Man, elitist much? Just because you (and I) have paid for a subscription doesn't mean we can just dismiss problems like this with 'well you didn't pay, so you're opinion doesn't count for shit.'

The fact is, this is pissing people off, regardless of whether they have an issue with ads themselves or not, to the point of them saying that the no longer want to browse the site. And if the ads are turning people away, they are a problem, even if those people aren't paying for the site directly, because it means the site loses traffic and, if the effect is major enough, ad revenue goes down. Plus, the Whiskey Media dudes have already said that they don't want shitty ads. If people are avoiding the site because of them, then they count as pretty shitty ads in my book.

Something should be done, especially if that something is as simple as getting the ad company to get the volume turned down. Whether they pay or not, everyone should get to experience a good website.
gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By gamb1t

ITS SO LOUD

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Meowshi

A++ thread gentlemen.

Keep that Giantbomb community going strong.