Dead Space 4 supposedly canceled. But it isn't.

• 81 results
OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By OfficeGamer

Sucks for the studio, but this is great news for a gamer.

Dead Space is now finished, There will always be Dead Space 1 and 2 in our hearts and game libraries, and DS3 basically doesn't exist, and that's it! No Dead Space 5 or 6 or 7 that will suck more, it's done, and I love this.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jewunit said:

@gogosox82: Dead Space 2 sold around 2 million copies, which was twice the sales of the first one. I suppose EA was looking to double the sales again with a more "mainstream" experience and supplement the sales earnings with the microtransactions. I agree that the sales expectations were high, but EA also invested a lot in the production of the game. They were hoping for a certain return and it just didn't get there.

I hope EA keeps Visceral going, but the odds of Visceral being used to create a new IP and/or work on a game for next-generation consoles seems slim.

The rumor is that Visceral is being "restructured" so whoever the team was that worked on the first two games will probably be fired. Which is sad to say the very least.

I'm not sure how much money was spent on it though. According to Brad, he said they used DA2 level reusing of assets for level design later on in the game. That sort of suggests that their budget was cut in some respects which makes it even more baffling that they would think they can put out a less polished game than DS2 and think that not only would it sell more but double the sales of DS2.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

EA has said the rumor is false

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By pr1mus

The game was cancelled before Dead Space 3 even came out. When EA said Dead Space 3 needed to sell 5 millions copies it was over.

The fact that Dead Space 3 ended up not being as well received as the previous 2 games sealed the deal. If the game had sold at least as well as the second one and if the reviews were through the roof maybe EA would have reconsidered.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The only way you can make a Dead Space game and make money is if you made it on a super low budget and sold just to straight horror fans... At that point, I wonder if people would even like it. If Dead Space looked like a grungy budget game, didn't have the same beautiful lighting, didn't have the polished and repolished combat... Would you even like it? If it didn't have the amazing space vistas and crazy monsters, if it was rather simple and sold for 20 dollars...

It feels like its too body horror to entice a wide market, and it's too reliant on its production values to be made on the cheap.

Also for anyone saying "it got EA'd to death" no, it's pretty much been unpopular from the start. Remember that Dead Space 1 was not a runaway success anywhere but critically. Remember that when EA put out Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, it had one of its worst years ever and had to fire like 600 fucking people. They kept making Dead Space and kept trying to make it a success and now they're probably going to have to fire more hundreds of people. Would you have been happier if they had just cut their losses then and fired Dino Ignacio 5 years ago?

Basically, no matter what EA does/did they are screwed. And no matter what EA does/did the internet wins, because it's another chance to have a go at the baby of Hitler and the Devil (EA).

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Serves 'em right. Looks like EA doesn't know best. Who would've thought.

Poor visceral though.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By stryker1121

Both EA and Visceral have come out and denied the rumor.

If true, I'm glad the dev guys still have jobs, but EA would be wise to reel in the franchise for a few years, then do a next-gen Dead Space 4 that brings the series back to its roots a bit. Introduce a new lead, put emphasis on atmosphere instead of tension thru enemy spamming and run-and-gun action. Of course, lower-key elements may not sell bucketloads as EA wants, so I'm probably talking out my ass. A man can dream..

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I liked Dead Space 3.

Fuck EA.

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked Dead Space 3.

Fuck EA.

Yeah...screw the company that helped make the game you like...wait, what?

Ennosuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man .... what is EA doing? Sometimes I defended them, but this is over now, they are doing stupid stuff all the time.

Yeah Dead Space 3 had more Action than Dead Space 1, but it was still a good game. Especially the first half in space was amazing, like you would expect it from Dead Space. The Coop was a very good experience.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@downtime58 said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

I liked Dead Space 3.

Fuck EA.

Yeah...screw the company that helped make the game you like...wait, what?

No, screw the company that forces microtransactions down a developer's throat and introduced a lot of anti-consumer business practices. EA used to be an alright company, but now they're insultingly bad. Good thing this was proven false or else it would've shown how much EA cares only about the money and not people's jobs or IP loyalty at all.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@tangoup said:

EA is the graveyard of franchises.

Ain't that the truth.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gasp

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thank god! I mean, Dead Space 4? No, thank you.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't want it to become an annualized garbage franchise anyway.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately they made a game that tried to satisfy everyone but instead pleased no one.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourwude said:

Don't worry. Alex and the Bomb Crew will write up an apologist article on behalf of EA, telling us it's "just business". I suppose you've got to keep your friends and ex-employers (Alex was a former EA employee) happy, just in case you need to work for them again.

Of course, he can't possibly have his own opinion. The more logical choice is always...conspiracy! Seriously though, I think you've totally misinterpreted the article - it takes a pretty balanced look at both sides of the microtransactions issue - from EA's perspective and from the consumer's perspective.

Theres no room for shades of grey on the internet homie. You should know this.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

After 3 they can keep it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By iam3green

i'm not really surprised. we didn't really need a new dead space game. i heard that 3 was pretty bad. EA usually kills their games.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coribald said:

@fourwude said:

Don't worry. Alex and the Bomb Crew will write up an apologist article on behalf of EA, telling us it's "just business". I suppose you've got to keep your friends and ex-employers (Alex was a former EA employee) happy, just in case you need to work for them again.

What a shitty thing to post. If you feel the need to question the integrity of the GB staff (I mean, seriously?!), then go find another site. I get criticism to a point but questioning any of these guys' integrity is completely uncalled for.

Purely out of curiosity, when did Alex work at EA?

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't buy Dead Space 3, at least at this time. It seems to me the individuality and nature of the game has been invaded by a pervading appeal to the most attitude , and the micro-transactions finished it. If Dead Space 4 is still indeed happening, my best for it. I myself enjoyed both 1 and 2, so it;s not like I do not have some give and take.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FourWude

<p>People getting pissy over my rant at Alex defending microtransactions and EA business practices.</p><p>I wholly stand by what I wrote.</p><p>Alex Navarro from the years of me reading his articles and reviews is a pretty straight shooter. But his defence of the indefensible was out of character. And in part I fully believe, being an ex-EA employee, a former insider, and a person who still keeps his EA contacts close, I believe has colored his view on the situation.

I fully look forward to how, if at all, he responds to what is happening to Visceral games and Dead Space, in future articles. And I hope he takes a fully critical view on how EA is running its business and the impact they have on the industry as a whole. </p>

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha what

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Ekami

Fourwude you seem like kind of a bummer to talk to

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By EpicSteve

Man, remember when EA started a shit ton of new franchise early this generation? Maybe they'll repeat next-gen.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another studio closed down... sad indeed.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space 3 sucked (or sucks if you're still playing it) , EA could be the reason for this. But the Idea that this source sheds some light as to why seems a bit convenient for the developers.

What do I know, I ain't making games, just playing 'em.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, remember when EA started a shit ton of new franchise early this generation? Maybe they'll repeat next-gen.

Sure, because it worked out so well for them :p

Maybe they'll release a ton of innovative and quirky titles through their EA Partners program too!

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By redcream

Dead Space 4? More like De4d Space amirite?

On-topic: Visceral is a great developer and it sucks to see them go. This trend of shifting focus from less horror to more action needs to stop as this doesn't do any favors on both ends of the spectrum. I loved Dead Space 1 & 2 but Dead Space 3's opening left a sour impression on me. Shooting at gun-toting creatures isn't much fun especially when the series heavily relied on the necromorphs to deliver high levels of intensity.

surferz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By surferz

Peter Moore says it's BS.