• 81 results
#1 Edited by Kenobi (396 posts) -

Delete

#2 Posted by jeffrud (422 posts) -

Based on what has been said by the rest of the crew, Ryan was a pretty major part of those shows. He was the de facto host of a lot of live content, and brought an energy that is irreplaceable. I imagine they'd like to be doing their regular line up of programming, but the first time back in is going to be really, really hard and uncomfortable. I'm still here because it's the best place in the Internet, and I'm willing to give these guys time until they are ready to get back into the full swing of things.

#3 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

I can guarantee you by next Friday, the live shows will have come back to stay. Perhaps starting with Friday's own UPF.

#4 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -
#5 Posted by Rebel_Scum (770 posts) -

Weird I was just thinking about TNT and when they're gonna do them again. I don't really care about the lack of live shows/premium content. Especially when you consider how good Ryan was as a host. Its a hard seat to fill :(

#6 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3780 posts) -

Later than what you wanted..

#7 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4885 posts) -

I imagine they'll be ready to start doing UPF (at the least) by the end of the month or beginning of August. Or they could just, not. I'd be cool with more content like the most recent bombcast. Weirdly meta and intimate discussions are more in line with what I want to hear from them.

#8 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

Patrick is doing a Spooking with Scoops tomorrow night. Don't know about TNT or UPF.

#9 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (650 posts) -

Seeing as how Ryan was THE host for most live events, it's gonna take some time. Logistically and emotionally. Two weeks is not very long.

#10 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -

I don't have a solid ETA on this. I think the guys are going to take some time to figure out where everything stands right now. We're still doing the premium podcast, of course (published two last week), and maybe I'll do some premium-only contest/giveaways on the forums while everything gets back up to speed.

Staff
#11 Posted by flasaltine (1703 posts) -

It has been three weeks... Just saying...

#12 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

With both Patrick and Ryan gone they're sorta short-staffed to do any real live shows. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see much before they find someone to fill the gap, which could take a while. I was just thinking about it earlier today, how weird it's gonna be when the new console launches and there's no Ryan there for the release shows =/ Nothing against the 3 core guys left, but I just can't imagine they would be able to keep their spirits up for an entire launch show.

(and yes, there are guys around the office that can stand in, but at some point they have to do their actual jobs too)

#13 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

Big seat to fill.

#14 Posted by JoeBigfoot (114 posts) -

People need to cool it a little. It'll come naturally. I'm just happy they haven't decided to pack it all in.

Also @drewbert that DCS stream was super fun, get that stuff up on GB!

#15 Posted by Levius (1228 posts) -

To be honest, I was surprised that they got back to doing quick looks as fast as they did. I am happy to let them take the time to figure it out. When it does come back I would expect for it take the form of Bradley May Cry with a couple of guys in room, rather than the all out hosted content.

#16 Posted by Raven10 (1923 posts) -

I think part of the problem is that they are really understaffed for a lengthy live show. Generally on UPF everyone played a game but with no Patrick and no Ryan that's a lot tougher to do. I'm sure they'll do premium stuff again eventually but I wouldn't be surprised if they brought on a new staff member. Obviously no one can replace Ryan, especially when it comes to hosting, but they just aren't going to be able to put out enough content with only thee people.

#17 Edited by Nightriff (5337 posts) -

Not gonna push them for anything soon. Rather them want to do it than feel obligated to us.

#18 Edited by csl316 (9444 posts) -

I imagine they're tweaking what's gonna be happening in the future. Live shows have become such a large part of the site that they probably don't want to do it til it's right.

With that being said, Big Live Live show time is right around the corner. As good a time as any to sort of reboot the shows line-up.

#20 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

@rorie said:

I don't have a solid ETA on this. I think the guys are going to take some time to figure out where everything stands right now. We're still doing the premium podcast, of course (published two last week), and maybe I'll do some premium-only contest/giveaways on the forums while everything gets back up to speed.

So I just watched your Besties video of Totoro, which is amazing. The only thing that really sucks about it is that I had to google it to find it as a forum post, since it doesn't show up as screened video. Anyway, that video got me to watch the movie some years ago and I love that shit man, so thanks man. Except for Cat Bus yuck, I love cats but that one is not very cute.

#21 Edited by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

I've been surprised and happy with the output, they got back to things pretty quickly. I can see them doing an Unprofessional Friday type show at some point but yeah I don't mind, few QL's here and there and the Bombcast is good with me. Also with the Steam Summer Sale having just happened I'm pretty good with things to do in my down time.

#22 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@kenobi said:

At the risk of sounding heartless, it's been 2 weeks. Are they not going to do live shows anymore? Are they replacing them? Are they reviewing how the site is going to work?

Well, you sound heartless. They lost their liveshow host, and the guy who coordinated most of their guests. Two weeks to get that all sorted out would be a very fast turnaround time.

#23 Edited by Rorie (2987 posts) -

@rorie said:

So I just watched your Besties video of Totoro, which is amazing. The only thing that really sucks about it is that I had to google it to find it as a forum post, since it doesn't show up as screened video. Anyway, that video got me to watch the movie some years ago and I love that shit man, so thanks man. Except for Cat Bus yuck, I love cats but that one is not very cute.

The cat bus has testicles, too, you'll note if you freeze the video as it's jumping off the electrical cables near the end of the movie. Take that info as you like.

Staff
#24 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

@beej said:

@kenobi said:

At the risk of sounding heartless, it's been 2 weeks. Are they not going to do live shows anymore? Are they replacing them? Are they reviewing how the site is going to work?

Well, you sound heartless. They lost their liveshow host, and the guy who coordinated most of their guests. Two weeks to get that all sorted out would be a very fast turnaround time.

What guests though? Pretty much the only time they have guests is the late night event bombcasts. Ryan didn't host UPF, in fact he was barely present in most of them.

#25 Posted by Deadlydog (168 posts) -

@beej: He really does not sound heartless, They got back to quick looks surprisingly fast and seem to be doing a bit better. I can still tell they are different and pained and I can't say that pain goes away fast, but i do hope they get better and start getting back to normal eventually.

#26 Edited by thatdutchguy (1283 posts) -

It´s over duder, for now....

#27 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

Have you guys never seen content on Giant Bomb before?

They've done quite a few TNT's and Unprofessional Fridays without Ryan before, I think they'll be fine.

#28 Posted by fisk0 (4486 posts) -

I think it's totally reasonable for this to be on hold for a few more weeks. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Gamespot guys on set again, seemed like a few of them were pretty comfortable doing the hosting stuff.

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11397 posts) -

Just be patient. It'll return, in time. I'd prefer that they wait until they're ready rather than do something that wound up being of poor quality.

I'm sure in a week or two they'll be putting up something dumb like "Learning Klingon with Vinny."

#30 Posted by bonbolapti (1626 posts) -

They said some podcasts ago that they'll do the content when they do it.

If any of you guys find yourself asking that question, you really have to learn to have patience.

#31 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

I'd rather they do it when they finally feel ready for it, even if it takes a good while, Ryan was a big part of those shows and it's gonna be hard going about it without him. Ryan's passing is still pretty recent, I think we should give them more than two weeks to sort everything out and get back to their normal routine, as if it's that easy.

#32 Edited by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

@rorie said:

@grissefar said:

@rorie said:

The cat bus has testicles, too, you'll note if you freeze the video as it's jumping off the electrical cables near the end of the movie. Take that info as you like.

Yeah man kind of hard to not notice those in the video - and the 80 legs don't help neither. More like Cat Centipede am I right?

#33 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

I'm sure in a week or two they'll be putting up something dumb like "Learning Klingon with Vinny."

I would also accept a mockumentary about moving arcade cabinets.

#34 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11397 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

I would also accept a mockumentary about moving arcade cabinets.

Little known fact: The Klingons have 30 different words for "arcade machine," but none translate directly into English.

#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11397 posts) -

The Daily Dota seems to be coming back. That's a fun show for the whole family, right guys? Guys? Guys?!

#36 Edited by thatdutchguy (1283 posts) -

The Daily Dota seems to be coming back. That's a fun show for the whole family, right guys? Guys? Guys?!

Fuck Dota.

#37 Edited by skelington_ (292 posts) -

Not gonna push them for anything soon. Rather them want to do it than feel obligated to us.

I second this.

#38 Posted by Petiew (1361 posts) -
#39 Posted by Devise22 (232 posts) -

@rorie Perfectly fine with that. Honestly the crew can take all the time they need, but I think I speak for a majority of the community in saying we appreciate the update.

#40 Edited by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

When they are ready to do the Live shows again, I will be ready. I can wait.

#41 Edited by Akyho (1698 posts) -
#42 Posted by Confirm4Crit (143 posts) -

I really want that

#43 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3811 posts) -

@rorie said:

@grissefar said:

@rorie said:

Rorie's totally correct on this matter! Just found the scene... damn I have to much time on my hand's today.

#44 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

@akyho said:
@flacracker said:

Your right. I lost my childhood friend of 13 years. 5 years ago and I was totally fine after three weeks. Hell 5 years I dont even remember what the fuss was about.

I don't really want to go down this road and this is going to sound dickish but this is their job you know. I do appreciate the fact that they're doing quicklooks and bombcasts but maybe they shouldn't be charging for subscriptions right now if they aren't actually doing any premium content.

#45 Edited by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@topsteer said:

@akyho said:
@flacracker said:

Your right. I lost my childhood friend of 13 years. 5 years ago and I was totally fine after three weeks. Hell 5 years I dont even remember what the fuss was about.

I don't really want to go down this road and this is going to sound dickish but this is their job you know. I do appreciate the fact that they're doing quicklooks and bombcasts but maybe they shouldn't be charging for subscriptions right now if they aren't actually doing any premium content.

You don't think they know that? why do you have to say it? Why do you have to come by and go "Oh hey guys! you seem to have forgotten something. Remember I am paying you....dance...dance now!" they are still humans.

They know. Don't have to be a dick and point it out or make demands. OP had the right tone, he asked questions and was a little sensitive. Not you and flacracker, your tone isn't right.

#46 Edited by vegetashonor (657 posts) -

@rorie: Again, at the risk of sounding like a heartless a-hole. We see things through the eyes of a consumer at some point. We ALL feel so bad for the duders at the helm right now, but if we aren't getting all the premium content as before, shouldn't there be some sort of adjustment or possible "hold" on accounts being charged? Hell, take all the time you need to grieve, I get it!!! You guys knew him the best! Just kinda meet us in the middle somewhere man. :(

EDIT: Again, sorry if this comes off as crass. I'm just not sure how else to say it without it having that sort of tone. It's in no way an attempt to disrespect you or your friends. I just needed to say that. MUCH LOVE RORIE!!!

#47 Posted by flasaltine (1703 posts) -

@akyho said:

@topsteer said:

@akyho said:
@flacracker said:

You don't think they know that? why do you have to say it? Why do you have to come by and go "Oh hey guys! you seem to have forgotten something. Remember I am paying you....dance...dance now!" they are still humans.

They know. Don't have to be a dick and point it out or make demands. OP had the right tone, he asked questions and was a little sensitive. Not you and flacracker, your tone isn't right.

Whoa! I was just correcting a mistake that was made. It has been three weeks... not two... just sayin'...

#48 Edited by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@flacracker: Oh right Sorry dude. Thought you were being an asshole. Really really sorry.

You see how it can be read like that without the extra info, that it is a correction. Really sorry about that.

#49 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

@akyho: I'm not paying them just so I can watch a couple of live shows a week, I'm paying them to support them. If I felt anything at all like what you described I would've cancelled my subscription earlier this year when most of the premium videos did virtually disappear. There have been 8 quick looks since the news happened and honestly I can't tell any differences between those and older quicklooks and last week's podcast was great so it just seems like everything is back to normal except for the live shows.

They can go back to doing premium stuff whenever they want, all I'm saying is some people are paying them for a service and they're not delivering. I don't mean to be a dick about it but it's the truth.

#50 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

@mooseymcman: You have not truly experienced Sinistar until you have played it in the original Klingon.

@vegetashonor said:

Again, at the risk of sounding like a heartless a-hole. We see things through the eyes of a consumer at some point. We ALL feel so bad for the duders at the helm right now, but if we aren't getting all the premium content as before, shouldn't there be some sort of adjustment or possible "hold" on accounts being charged?

Understandably it's normally the silver badges who point out content lulls first, and that's a perfectly fair thing to do. You click that button with some expectation of value returned in the next 30 days, and liveshows with chat streams are a big part of that value for some, so there's not always a "back catalogue" case to be made.

Subscription extensions have happened before, and I have every confidence that if they feel not enough was produced in July (because make no mistake there isn't a quota contract) they will do a make-good. Matt can't just pull a platitude out of his pocket until that decision gets made at a company level though.

I don't think this needs to be pounded on, the point has been raised, and I believe they will make the same decision whether 5 or 500 subscribers continue to point it out.