Deleting vs. Locking. What's the difference?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

This doesn't have much to do with anything other than the question in the title, I'm a curious lad afterall.

Sometimes threads are locked and other times they are deleted. Why are there two different methods of "termination?" And how do you mods decide when to use each one?

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

Deleting is for REALLY bad things.

Locking is just a slap on the wrists.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Sometimes mods want to leave a topic locked but with a closing message so the OP knows why/how/when it was locked.

Other times, it's simply more prudent to delete it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Man, I'm not going to lie.  I'd love it if a mod came in here with a witty quip along the lines of:

"Deleted threads (insert explanation here).

Locked thread look something like this one."

...and then they lock this thread!!!  THAT would be epic.

OOH!  EVEN BETTER!  What if one of them just quotes me and says "^^^That"?!  BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7
jakob187 said:
"Man, I'm not going to lie.  I'd love it if a mod came in here with a witty quip along the lines of:

OOH!  EVEN BETTER!  What if one of them just quotes me and says "^^^That"?!  BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
"
Jakob, you evil mastermind you. Are you secretly MB?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"Man, I'm not going to lie.  I'd love it if a mod came in here with a witty quip along the lines of:

"

Put on a Santa hat, Jakob. You'll feel much better.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz

Locked topics tend to be locked so A.) The OP can see the closing message of the Mod and B.) It can be an example for the rest of the community on why and what topics will get locked.

Deleted topics tend to be deleted because A.) The may be just pure spam, Eg an advertising topic, where locking a topic still shows the advert link and B.) Its pushed the boundries so far it needs nuking, now.

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Superchris129

When a topic is locked, you can still read the FUCKING HILARIOUS random shit people put up... like this: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/how-do-you-become-a-reviewer-here/221010/#12

... I seriously couldn't stop laughing at the 'fan fic'

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
Hamz said:
"Locked topics tend to be locked so A.) The OP can see the closing message of the Mod and B.) It can be an example for the rest of the community on why and what topics will get locked.

Deleted topics tend to be deleted because A.) The may be just pure spam, Eg an advertising topic, where locking a topic still shows the advert link and B.) Its pushed the boundries so far it needs nuking, now."
................Hamz hates me.  =  (  No lock, no mention, nothing.  I try and I try......and I fail.  OH, I FAIL!!!
BiggerBomb said:
"jakob187 said:

"

Put on a Santa hat, Jakob. You'll feel much better."
Play in oncoming traffic.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Hamz said:
"Locked topics tend to be locked so A.) The OP can see the closing message of the Mod and B.) It can be an example for the rest of the community on why and what topics will get locked.

Deleted topics tend to be deleted because A.) The may be just pure spam, Eg an advertising topic, where locking a topic still shows the advert link and B.) Its pushed the boundries so far it needs nuking, now."
teh pr0ns!
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"Hamz said:

................Hamz hates me.  =  (  No lock, no mention, nothing.  I try and I try......and I fail.  OH, I FAIL!!!
BiggerBomb said:
"jakob187 said:

"

Put on a Santa hat, Jakob. You'll feel much better."
Play in oncoming traffic.
"

Well, my question is answered now. He can quote you and lock this if he wants.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Hamz
jakob187 said:

OOH!  EVEN BETTER!  What if one of them just quotes me and says "^^^That"?!  BWAHAHAHAHA!!!"
BiggerBomb said:
"Well, my question is answered now. He can quote you and lock this if he wants."
Anymore questions, fire it to my inbox. I'm always happy to discuss and explain anything you wish to ask.