• 59 results
#1 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (389 posts) -

I never played through Demon's Souls, but played the shit out of Dark Souls. Now, I'm going to get back into Demon's Souls to beat it. Is this gonna be a drag since I've played Dark Souls or will it be just fine?

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (9471 posts) -

They're a bit different; so, I don't think it would necessarily be a drag. They each have their own merits. I prefer Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls has plenty going for it. Just give it a shot.

#3 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

Plain and simple...

Dark Souls has better Single Player

Demon's Suls has better online.

That's not to say thats Demon's Souls single player is shit. Just that in Dark souls they ittirated on Demon's Souls like crazy. However, Demon's Souls, imo, has a better realized world then Dark Souls which has better level design. That's how I feel.

#4 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

Demon's Souls is slightly less refined, but I think you'll still enjoy it, Mario 1 v Mario 3 style. You may even prefer it.

#5 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (389 posts) -

@Little_Socrates: That sounds positively lovely. I hope that's how it turns out.

#6 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

I am currently still playing Dark Souls for my first playthrough; I just started this week and am only 8 hours in; HOWEVER i personally felt Demon's Souls was more rewarding in terms of boss encounters; there wasn't nearly as many in Demon's Souls but they were much more epic. I still remember screaming FUCK YEAH after beating Tower Knight for the first time. I Am still early in Dark Souls, but yes play it. It's a great experience and a lot of fun. Still got my Chinese Import copy!

I personally prefer Demon's Souls, but give me another 40 hours and I'll let you know if that changes.

#7 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Demon's definitely holds up. I don't think you will find it disappointing.

Speaking for myself, I do prefer Demon's hub world to Dark's open world structure. That is mostly because I liked having most of the support characters/merchants always appear in a central location, less running around and busy work just to sell items and repair gear.

I also liked leveling up with the blind girl. Never got tired of her, "Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Soul of the lost withdrawn from its vessel. May strength be granted so the world might be mended. So the world might be mended." :)

#8 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (428 posts) -

I'd say odds are good if you started with Dark, you'll enjoy Demon's. A few differences to take note of:

1. Demon's has harder bosses, but easier standard enemies compared to Dark
  2. Demon's is arguably more unforgiving than Dark overall: there are fewer checkpoints and losing your human form halves your health.
  3. Demon's unquestionably has better multiplayer than Dark. :P (The Single player is more debatable and varies from person to person. It often comes down to whether you prefer Demon's hub setup, or Dark's open world setup. :) )
#9 Posted by TruthTellah (9471 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

I am currently still playing Dark Souls for my first playthrough; I just started this week and am only 8 hours in; HOWEVER i personally felt Demon's Souls was more rewarding in terms of boss encounters; there wasn't nearly as many in Demon's Souls but they were much more epic. I still remember screaming FUCK YEAH after beating Tower Knight for the first time. I Am still early in Dark Souls, but yes play it. It's a great experience and a lot of fun. Still got my Chinese Import copy!

I personally prefer Demon's Souls, but give me another 40 hours and I'll let you know if that changes.

Fortunately, Dark Souls ramps up a bit in that regard; so, don't you worry! :)

(and not sure if you got Dark Souls on PC or with the DLC, but the DLC content is fantastic and adds some rather epic encounters)

#10 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

Demon's definitely holds up. I don't think you will find it disappointing.

Speaking for myself, I do prefer Demon's hub world to Dark's open world structure. That is mostly because I liked having most of the support characters/merchants always appear in a central location, less running around and busy work just to sell items and repair gear.

I also liked leveling up with the blind girl. Never got tired of her, "Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Soul of the lost withdrawn from its vessel. May strength be granted so the world might be mended. So the world might be mended." :)

Not to mention that said blind girl always wanted you to touch the demon inside her. Always made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

"WTF are you looking at Thomas"

#11 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

@mordukai: I totally have a crush on blind demon girl. xD

#12 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@HerbieBug: It's her Russian accent that seals the deal.

#13 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

@mordukai: She sounds more french to me.

#14 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@HerbieBug: Trust me, she's russian.

#15 Edited by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

I just had this experience myself a month or two ago. Demon's Souls was fun enough, but it definitely felt lacking compared to Dark Souls. Still played through it a few times though, and dicked around with different builds. If anything you might have the same experience I had of pulling the curtain back a bit on the supposed challenge of these games. Going into another one of these games fully knowing how all the systems worked I discovered that even when I didn't know what was coming up I was fully able to deal with almost anything pretty easily (also, the healing mechanic makes Demon's stupidly easy to cheese).

#16 Posted by Beforet (2932 posts) -

Any reason you guys are saying the Multiplayer in Demon's Souls is better? Do you mean mechanically or in terms of the community? Because I've been playing Demon's Souls and I've found I either can't manage to get summoned or I'm too worried about character tendency to do any invading (which should change once I finally get the friend rin; I just want the trophy, which is probably by problem).

#17 Edited by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

I finished Demon's Souls and played through it before playing Dark Souls, but it was long ago and I spent so much more time in Dark Souls that I am really looking forward to going back to Demon's one of these days to re experience it with a new mindset and all that I've learned since.

#18 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Demon's Souls has way better multiplayer. The levels, due to the way they're partitioned off in such a way that you can refer to them as 1-1 or 4-3 or whatever, are way more conducive. The dedicated servers certainly help matters, and it's why I'm glad they're going back to it for DS2 (assuming they don't fuck up the rest of that game, but hey).

Demon's Souls is also WAY more atmospheric, but I'm not sure whether that's just due to the focus on the game being on demons and mad kings which are TOTALLY BITCHIN.

The only real advantage Dark Souls has is that systems like upgrading are way more intuitive, and you didn't have to worry about Crystal Geckos in the same way you have to worry about them in Demon's.

#19 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

@mordukai: Trust me, she's anime

@fuzzypumpkin: Demon's Souls might be a tough pill to swallow in reverse, as there are only 2 particularly good boss fights (and a fair number of average ones to be fair) and a whole bunch of trivial ones and one that's terribly designed. The nexus music is wonderful and you can kind of see where all the better developed characters in Dark Souls came from at their root design; exception being Stockpile Thomas who's a champ and the blue phantom is more or less a wash with depressing guy from Dark Souls. Maiden Astraea theme is great, rest of the Valley of Defilement is utter shit; literally and you will likely loathe every minute of it as it is straight up badly designed in almost every aspect apart from atmosphere; every other world in Demon's Souls is tolerable or even excellent but Valley of Defilement is just plain bad.

That said I really liked Demon's Souls before Dark Souls ever came out; just the sequel is better in almost every regard. So the world might be mended.

#20 Posted by Turambar (6890 posts) -

@Beforet said:

Any reason you guys are saying the Multiplayer in Demon's Souls is better? Do you mean mechanically or in terms of the community? Because I've been playing Demon's Souls and I've found I either can't manage to get summoned or I'm too worried about character tendency to do any invading (which should change once I finally get the friend rin; I just want the trophy, which is probably by problem).

Demon's Souls had dedicated servers for the online. That alone made it a bit better. There are combat mechanics that docks points from both sides though (Dark Souls has elemental weapons, Demon's Souls has a never ending supply of grass)

#21 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

Co-op is good or interesting in both games; Red/black/blue phantoming is just a huge dickfest and whoever has the cheaper build or lag advantage wins; that's never really been the reason to play the Souls games. Fog Ring near launch in Dark Souls or generic havel armor/2hander/mask build now or any number of "Hyper Mode" builds in Demon's Souls largely negated any competitive aspect the games might have had; speaking as someone who's killed more than their fair share of phantoms with quite a few different builds.

Now there's a whole nother argument about how Dark Souls corrupts peoples minds and makes them do evil things to each other; the more dickish red phantoms you're exposed to the more of a douche you become and so on and so forth, and that's interesting though I think it has a lot more to do with the youthfulness and lack of creativity amongst the playerbase more than anything which is a huge problem with any console game.

#22 Edited by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

@mordukai said:

Plain and simple...

That's not to say thats Demon's Souls single player is shit. Just that in Dark souls they ittirated on Demon's Souls like crazy. However, Demon's Souls, imo, has a better realized world then Dark Souls which has better level design. That's how I feel.

I mostly agree with this except that I think Demon's Souls has equal or superior level design. There are ways you can actually stealth or sneak through massive parts of many Demon's Souls levels, and never will you get attacked by enemies so far away you can't see them (except for maybe one dude....) Long story short I never felt like any part of Demon's Souls was really "cheap" except for maybe one area. I felt like multiple parts of Dark Souls was. The single player of Dark is more varied and the combat is more refined, also the games systems are not quite as obtuse though I feel like neither game is really as complex as people claim. But Demon's has the better online (no contest, it isn't even close) and in my opinion the better "world". Then there is also the fact that Demon's Souls has the best boss fight of the two.

Put in another way I have a reason for a lot of what I do in Demon's Souls and sometimes I don't feel like the good guy but I know why it needs to be done. In Dark Souls there are many times where I am taking someone out not because they need to be taken out, or I even feel invested in it, I just want to end my undead curse I guess and they happen to just be casualties of war. Why do I really "need" to kill Gwynn? Is the world going to end if I don't? I don't see any evidence of that. Is he actually a direct threat to me? No, he is just sitting by his little bonfire minding his own business if I never go after him he will never come after me. I guess I need to take him down to end my curse but.... do I really? Cause that's the kicker, there is actually no evidence to indicate you CAN end your undead curse.

When I go to fight the last boss of Demon's Souls I know exactly why I am there and exactly why they need to go down. That isn't to say there aren't parts of the game that are unclear or never explained, there are. It is to say that what story and history are present in the game make a lot more sense than Dark Souls does and you have an actual motivation for what you are doing.

If you asked me which of the two games is the better one I would say Demon's Souls without one second of hesitation. *goes off to look for his yellow towel*

#23 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Co-op is good or interesting in both games; Red/black/blue phantoming is just a huge dickfest and whoever has the cheaper build or lag advantage wins; that's never really been the reason to play the Souls games. Fog Ring near launch in Dark Souls or generic havel armor/2hander/mask build now or any number of "Hyper Mode" builds in Demon's Souls largely negated any competitive aspect the games might have had; speaking as someone who's killed more than their fair share of phantoms with quite a few different builds.

My youtube page disagrees with you. Multiplayer is not competitive in Dark by design, they didn't like that part of Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls pvp could be very competitive if you structured it with some rules and organized, though lag could screw anyone in both games due to the very nature of how multiplayer was done in Demon's it was less likely to happen there. Work needs to be done to make it more skills focused but I was involved long and often enough to be able to tell the better player almost always won regardless of how cheap their build was or was not.

#24 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@mordukai said:

Plain and simple...

I mostly agree with this except that I think Demon's Souls has equal or superior level design. There are ways you can actually stealth or sneak through massive parts of many Demon's Souls levels, and never will you get attacked by enemies so far away you can't see them (except for maybe one dude....) Long story short I never felt like any part of Demon's Souls was really "cheap" except for maybe one area. I felt like multiple parts of Dark Souls was. The single player of Dark is more varied and the combat is more refined, also the games systems are not quite as obtuse though I feel like neither game is really as complex as people claim. But Demon's has the better online (no contest, it isn't even close) and in my opinion the better "world". Then there is also the fact that Demon's Souls has the best boss fight of the two.

Put in another way I have a reason for a lot of what I do in Demon's Souls and sometimes I don't feel like the good guy but I know why it needs to be done. In Dark Souls there are many times where I am taking someone out not because they need to be taken out, or I even feel invested in it, I just want to end my undead curse I guess and they happen to just be casualties of war. Why do I really "need" to kill Gwynn? Is the world going to end if I don't? I don't see any evidence of that. Is he actually a direct threat to me? No, he is just sitting by his little bonfire minding his own business if I never go after him he will never come after me. I guess I need to take him down to end my curse but.... do I really? Cause that's the kicker, there is actually no evidence to indicate you CAN end your undead curse.

When I go to fight the last boss of Demon's Souls I know exactly why I am there and exactly why they need to go down. That isn't to say there aren't parts of the game that are unclear or never explained, there are. It is to say that what story and history are present in the game make a lot more sense than Dark Souls does and you have an actual motivation for what you are doing.

If you asked me which of the two games is the better one I would say Demon's Souls without one second of hesitation. *goes off to look for his yellow towel*

I just felt Dark Souls had more intricate level design and more vertical special awareness.

PS: I have so many of those yellow towels it's not even funny.

#25 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

They are both different, both are great. This thread is dumb.

#26 Posted by Svenzon (727 posts) -

I went back and finished Demon's Souls a couple of days after completing Dark Souls. The core mechanics felt the same, though less refined. The thing that struck me the most was how boring the hub structure felt compared to Dark Souls' open world. I really hated going back to the Nexus all the time and how it could take forever to find an archstone. That made the game several times more frustrating and deaths more punishing, especially in The Shrine of Storms. Having to dodge projectiles from the flying mantas AND fight those skeletons on narrow ledges was just a pain in the ass. The weird thing is that level actually ended up being my favorite of the four because of the atmosphere. Then you had long and confusing levels like the prison part of The Tower of Latria, which I simply hated. Getting lost, falling off a ledge and having to do the whole thing all over again was no fun at all.

I also found the boss battles to be a mixed bag. Some of my friends constantly tell me how the bosses were way better, but I can't say I agree. I really enjoyed the Flamelurker, Tower Knight, Old Monk and Penetrator fights. The rest of them... nah. Either they were frustrating (Dragon God, Adjudicator) or plain boring (Dirty Colossus, Leechmonger). Dark Souls had its fair share of so-so fights too, but there were few bad ones. Ornstein & Smough pretty much remains my no 1 boss fight of this generation.

I feel like I got way off here, so here's the short version: Demon's Souls good, but Dark Souls better. Feels kinda weird to go back.

#27 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3510 posts) -

Demon's Souls is fucking amazing. Play it. I mean Dark Souls is good too and better in some ways, but at the end of the day it is a fancy level pack for Demon's Souls.

#28 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

@Karkarov: Grats on having a youtube channel? That's got to be the worst argument I've heard all week. But if anyone's interested in seeing the phenomenally corrupting influence that is the Souls community I highly recommend: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL939A4F517EBD0209

Starting at episode 26.

#29 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Karkarov: Grats on having a youtube channel? That's got to be the worst argument I've heard all week. But if anyone's interested in seeing the phenomenally corrupting influence that is the Souls community I highly recommend: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL939A4F517EBD0209

Starting at episode 26.

Considering I actually started using youtube to post videos of competitive pvp in Demon's Souls it is actually sort of relevant. At least as relevant as a video of some guy deciding to invade other people then proceeding to act like a douche bag with his commentary. Dark Souls is hardly corrupting, it just gives jackholes an easy way to express themselves.

#30 Posted by TheHT (11776 posts) -

Demon's Souls.

#31 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Beforet said:

Demon's Souls had dedicated servers for the online. That alone made it a bit better. There are combat mechanics that docks points from both sides though (Dark Souls has elemental weapons, Demon's Souls has a never ending supply of grass)

The last part can be countered pretty easily.

#32 Posted by JBG4 (434 posts) -

You will see some differences in switching from Dark to Demon's but if you have never played it then it cannot come more recommended. I thoroughly enjoyed both so I would say give it a shot.

#33 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

God daaaaamn do I love Demon's Souls. Even though Dark Souls is better in some ways, I probably still preferred my time with Demon's Souls because it was all so new and intriguing. For whatever reason I actually even imported the thing from the US for £52 (!?)... and it still baffles me as to what made me come to such a decision! I barely even knew anything about it besides it looking pretty cool and that it was meant to be difficult. It just... spoke to my subconscious or something, I dunno.

So yeah, I was apart of the generation that was playing this thing loooong before any of the wiki was filled out. In fact I got up to like NG++++ or something without ever realising anything about the World Tendency stuff; I never even knew that you were supposed to hand the Fire Lurker soul to the 2nd realm blacksmith, so I was playing through it all with a lot of my weapons at base level upgrades, and some of the unique weapons I never upgraded at all.

I think that's ironically what made Dark Souls a little harder to get through for me, because I started to over think everything once I uncovered all of the extra depth behind these games.

#34 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

My youtube page disagrees with you. Multiplayer is not competitive in Dark by design, they didn't like that part of Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls pvp could be very competitive if you structured it with some rules and organized, though lag could screw anyone in both games due to the very nature of how multiplayer was done in Demon's it was less likely to happen there. Work needs to be done to make it more skills focused but I was involved long and often enough to be able to tell the better player almost always won regardless of how cheap their build was or was not.

I think that's the reason I stopped playing Dark SOuls when it came out. The reason I came back to Demon's Souls was the MP community that really gave made the game the phenomena it became. I just don't understand why FROM would resented that part of the game. Personally I felt that after Game + the single player has nothing to offer beyond farming the game for crystals and the only reason I came back to the game over and over again is because of the amazing MP/Coop it offered. Not to mention they used that system in the SP itself. I'm of course talking about Old Monk which IMO is the best boss fight design this generation.

then I don't think your complaint is fair because Hyper mode can be countered like any other "super build". I also never felt the phantom system was a dickfest. In about 400+ hours I played on Demon's SOuls I might have encountered maybe 3 people who abused the system and all were the ones that used the running Firestorm glitch.

#35 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@Subject2Change said:

Fortunately, Dark Souls ramps up a bit in that regard; so, don't you worry! :)

(and not sure if you got Dark Souls on PC or with the DLC, but the DLC content is fantastic and adds some rather epic encounters)

Nah PS3 CE from when it came out. I'll look into the DLC, first DLC i ever purchase perhaps! And I figured as much, from what I've heard from friends and such the bosses I've seen so far are sorta joke bosses and fairly straight forward fights.

#36 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Starting at episode 26.

Man, I've been going through his movies today and he's the perfect example of why I have absolutely no interest in PvP for these games. The transformation he goes through from being somewhat reasonable, to calling out people for being pussies etc is just staggering. Not to mention the hypocrazy of what he considers fair or not.

#37 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

@Ares42: @Ares42 said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Starting at episode 26.

Man, I've been going through his movies today and he's the perfect example of why I have absolutely no interest in PvP for these games. The transformation he goes through from being somewhat reasonable, to calling out people for being pussies etc is just staggering. Not to mention the hypocrazy of what he considers fair or not.

Oh yeah it's really amazing. It is too bad he didn't do the whole game blind as he's not really competent enough to make the single player interesting (nor does he play with an interesting build); but the Bed of Chaos video is sort an example of how a blind run would have gone. If you're going to do a Dark Souls LP/Walkthrough I think it has to be either completely blind with no assistance or you have to be incredible at the game and run with an uncommon build of some sort; you can't merely be above average. But the multiplayer videos are something else and his voice and vociferousness kind of carries any boring bits through.

#38 Edited by MasterBrief (225 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Beforet said:

This. Dark Souls had a pretty shitty server system if you ask me.

They are different Demon's Souls is noticeably more difficult especially because when in Soul Form your hp and stamina is halved. I enjoyed Demon's Souls a lot more they are both excellent but I think Demon's Souls takes the cake. I think you will enjoy it either way if you liked Dark Souls.

#39 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

@MasterBrief said:

They are different Demon's Souls is noticeably more difficult especially because when in Soul Form your hp and stamina is halved. I enjoyed Demon's Souls a lot more they are both excellent but I think Demon's Souls takes the cake. I think you will enjoy it either way if you liked Dark Souls.

Actually it is quite simple. If it benefits him it is fair, if it doesn't benefit him it is not fair. Now you understand the logic behind most Souls games PvP'ers, or honestly online gamers in general.

#40 Posted by Turambar (6890 posts) -

@Karkarov: I'm guessing you meant to respond to Fredchuckdave? Otherwise, who are you directing the him at?

#41 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (389 posts) -

@Deusx: You're cool...

#42 Posted by gamefreak9 (2417 posts) -

The BIG improvement in Dark souls is that Flask system, everything else is usually just as good.

#43 Posted by Humanity (10061 posts) -

Not having bonfires is probably the biggest difference as there are some areas that go on for quite a while before you reach the next archstone, and most of those are behind bosses. Fortunately there are a lot of shortcuts that can be activated but still it is pretty jarring. Anyone that had played Demons Souls for the first time when it had just come out can remember how completely rewarding it felt to just get to the first Phalanx boss fight. It's a long, long trip with no real shortcuts and plenty of "trap" moments such as the rolling ball or the dragon that flames the bridge, not to mention the blue eyed knights.

Also defeating Flamelurker was very, very satisfying to me as I was a pure melee build and a bit underleveled for that area.

I suppose the one criticism is that, on your first play through anyway, a magic based character can really breeze through some of the areas that will present a considerable challenge to a pure melee build. Dark Souls never had this issue as it was a lot more balanced, even though my pyromancy did get me a few free kills.

#44 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Ares42: @Ares42 said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Starting at episode 26.

Oh yeah it's really amazing. It is too bad he didn't do the whole game blind as he's not really competent enough to make the single player interesting (nor does he play with an interesting build); but the Bed of Chaos video is sort an example of how a blind run would have gone. If you're going to do a Dark Souls LP/Walkthrough I think it has to be either completely blind with no assistance or you have to be incredible at the game and run with an uncommon build of some sort; you can't merely be above average. But the multiplayer videos are something else and his voice and vociferousness kind of carries any boring bits through.

So you guys are gonna judge an entire community because of some ass holes. Most of the people on my PSN list are people I met on Demon's Souls. In fact one of my best buddy on PSN is a guy I kept PvPing against, and he ended up teaching me a lot of technics I use. Not only, we actually started being friends outside the game and I now consider him a close friend of mine.

#45 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

Dude, the bosses at the beginning come fast and furious, but other than the moonlit asshole, the big bosses are better spread out and certainly pretty epic. considering you get to a point in that game wher the bridge dragon goes down like it's made of paper, I'd say it's pretty safe to say things get sufficiently more interesting in the boss arena later on. For better AND for worse.

#46 Posted by MasterBrief (225 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@MasterBrief said:

Actually it is quite simple. If it benefits him it is fair, if it doesn't benefit him it is not fair. Now you understand the logic behind most Souls games PvP'ers, or honestly online gamers in general.

Well my issue is with how Demon's Souls had dedicated servers and you could play with friends if you communicated properly, there were hiccups with it yes I experienced them but for the most part if I set my soulstone down my buddy would summon me almost all the time. Summoning did have issues at times too. With Dark Souls, correct me if I am wrong on any of this, doesn't have dedicated servers and has multiple as Demon's Souls had one for US and one of EU if I am not mistaken. So that is the problem with the coop on Dark Souls it makes it nearly impossible to play with friends opting for play with strangers which is all fine and good but some people are douchebags and Id rather have someone that won't dance around the whole time.

#47 Posted by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

I've been on a the same quest of beating Demon's after Dark. And while I've been enjoying myself so far, the bosses feel seriously lackluster. At least mechanicswise. I've beat all the first tier bosses, Tower Knight and Flameluker and out of all of them only flame has killed me or felt that he took effort. The rest have just been gimmicky or zeldalike "findthetrickanddoitoverandover", which is incredibly disappointing. But at least the designs have been impressive, varied and interesting! So it's not all bad. I l really liked the Ajudicator, too bad he was boring to fight.

#48 Posted by Deathcrush (51 posts) -

Playing DE Souls now should not be a problem i see some people say that the boss battles are harder. i dont agree att all with this......

the levels are harder sure but the boss battles are more gimmickie ( can you write it like that?) and also feel more epic because of it.

the coolest boss battles inn all soul games to date are inn DeS but the weapons and armor are inn DaS.. but you will love DeS if you loved DaS if not then its cool to see where it came from.

(Sorry if the english is bad)

#49 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

@mordukai: Nope, I'm not judging the community based on him, I'm judging based on how it's setup in-game and all the ridicolous "honor" stuff I've heard/read about. All I said was that he was the perfect example of all of my impressions of Souls PvP. Try to prove me wrong if you want to, but my impression of Souls PvP is getting invaded by some guy when you had no interest in PvPing (just wanted to beat a boss or kindle a fire) and people whining because you did something "cheap" or because you used some equipment. I'm sure it's great when you have conscenting players that have agreed to rules etc, but that's like saying Starcraft have great multiplayer but only if you play "20 min no rush" games.

#50 Posted by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

@mordukai: I don't know what you are talking about! When I say I first tier, I mean 1-1, 2-1... If its anything later than that, I probably don't know about it!