Describing Lost Odyssey, the Game I'll Remember

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Lost Odyssey.  What is there to say about this game?  Well, simply put, this game's combat sucks. 
Now with that out of the way, why is it that I like the game so much?   It certainly isn't flashy like Final Fantasy 13 will be.  Lost Odyssey is not
and adrenaline filled rush.  No, that's Final Fantasy.  Awesome series, Lost Odyssey is different. 

It's really the story and mood.

What's so special about the story?  It's just a bad guy wants to take over, right?  Actually, that's just completely wrong.  The main force that the character faces is largely prevalent to be the fact that he's living.  Gongora really is just a tool in the story.

It's just the characters, they're so freaking well developed.  I've experienced quite a few good stories so far this generation.  I see topics posting MGS4, Bioshock, etc..  I sort of laugh, what strikes me immediately is Lost Odyssey.  Don't get me wrong, those games had good stories, but they're not nearly as meaningful as Lost Odyssey.  Some of them are stories by details with loss of thought.  Others just simply aren't strong enough. The fact that Lost Odyssey doesn't get a mention shocks me.

Lost Odyssey is just a different game.
It is essentially comparable to what people wrongly make Braid out to be

Lost Odyssey develops itself so nicely by the end.  If you watch all the cutscenes, experience the world (taking notice), and then read the stories, they all come together in such an awesome way.

To put it simply, just listen to the main theme of the game (yes guys, this is it believe it or not, not the opera singing lady with organs)

Now, since that has been all said, I guess an obvious question to answer is whether or not I want a sequel.
        No. What's the point?  How about something new?   Because there's really no point to turn this into a series.  It really shouldn't be continued/prequeled and there's absolutely no reason to carry it like FF (especially because you'd really want to have the same theme and mood, which really can't be repeated easily)

So Mistwalker, bring out your next title for the X360.  I want to see what else you can do. 
Let's all hope that the Cry On cancellation thing is really a dropping of AQ.  Nothing has actually been confirmed on Mistwalker's part and AQ's announcement was that they were dropping Cry On, which isn't exactly something they can drop.  Keep it alive!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Lost Odyssey.  What is there to say about this game?  Well, simply put, this game's combat sucks. 
Now with that out of the way, why is it that I like the game so much?   It certainly isn't flashy like Final Fantasy 13 will be.  Lost Odyssey is not
and adrenaline filled rush.  No, that's Final Fantasy.  Awesome series, Lost Odyssey is different. 

It's really the story and mood.

What's so special about the story?  It's just a bad guy wants to take over, right?  Actually, that's just completely wrong.  The main force that the character faces is largely prevalent to be the fact that he's living.  Gongora really is just a tool in the story.

It's just the characters, they're so freaking well developed.  I've experienced quite a few good stories so far this generation.  I see topics posting MGS4, Bioshock, etc..  I sort of laugh, what strikes me immediately is Lost Odyssey.  Don't get me wrong, those games had good stories, but they're not nearly as meaningful as Lost Odyssey.  Some of them are stories by details with loss of thought.  Others just simply aren't strong enough. The fact that Lost Odyssey doesn't get a mention shocks me.

Lost Odyssey is just a different game.
It is essentially comparable to what people wrongly make Braid out to be

Lost Odyssey develops itself so nicely by the end.  If you watch all the cutscenes, experience the world (taking notice), and then read the stories, they all come together in such an awesome way.

To put it simply, just listen to the main theme of the game (yes guys, this is it believe it or not, not the opera singing lady with organs)

Now, since that has been all said, I guess an obvious question to answer is whether or not I want a sequel.
        No. What's the point?  How about something new?   Because there's really no point to turn this into a series.  It really shouldn't be continued/prequeled and there's absolutely no reason to carry it like FF (especially because you'd really want to have the same theme and mood, which really can't be repeated easily)

So Mistwalker, bring out your next title for the X360.  I want to see what else you can do. 
Let's all hope that the Cry On cancellation thing is really a dropping of AQ.  Nothing has actually been confirmed on Mistwalker's part and AQ's announcement was that they were dropping Cry On, which isn't exactly something they can drop.  Keep it alive!

Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ParrapatehRappa

Or in other words. "I love Lost Odyssey so much that if I could have sex with it, I would. The characters make me wet, and when I sleep at night, I dream of the characters taking me away"

Mirite?

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Mah brain just hurted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this game a lot, then I got to the boss of disk three. Now I hate it. Only one melee fighter in the party, and it's fucking Mack? Urgh.

Whoever voiced Jansen should be in every JRPG for the rest of eternity.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
License_To_Bill said:
"I liked this game a lot, then I got to the boss of disk three. Now I hate it. Only one melee fighter in the party, and it's fucking Mack? Urgh.

Whoever voiced Jansen should be in every JRPG for the rest of eternity.
"
Are you referencing...how to put this without spoiling....well is it sort of cold outside?  Kind of a long stretch too?
Cause if so, that boss is actually pretty easy.   Mack has a decent defense.  Just have him front row defending and hack cooke casting spells like crazy (you did give her the black magic accessory item?)
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By vidiot

Agree and disagree.
Agree that LO has a strong cast of characters, disagree that the games underlying mechanics "suck". Unless we are, once again, not a fan of turn based combat and thus anyone else who marginally enjoys turn based combat still is wrong. LO had a nice strong difficulty curve that reminded you that turn based combat could be challenging, a developed skill system from FFIX, level caps that diminished grinding, and a goofy ring system that at least made straight up attacking a character not be a given.

It most defiantly is Final Fantasy. And that is not a bad thing.

Similar in tone to previous games of the series borrowing elements from the SNES titles to the playstation era. It's plot might be a bit more mature than it's predecessors, but with it's plot focusing on empires and the problems of industrializing (II / IV / VI / VII / IX), it's very very difficult to not compare the series.

As someone who owns the soundtrack (Yes. I own it. Like in physical form.) I believe the main theme of the game is the track that is litterally titled: Main Theme.http://www.squaresound.com/lost-odyssey-original-soundtrack-p29802.html

The Sheena Easton stuff is the obligatory vocal track thing that Uematsu has been attaching to every Final Fantasy since VIII.

I would love to see this game continued as a series, and seeing how that has been pretty much hinted and confirmed due to the games suprisingly strong sales, although I'm not sure how they would continue it seeing how the game ends pretty damn well as it does.

Jansen better be in it. Or I will freak the hell out.
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I you more smug then dark?

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I got to the fourth disc of this game and I never finished it. I'm right at the end too.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By suneku

The game's combat was great. It's not new and innovative, it's just old school. And I'm fine with that.

vidiot said:

"Unless we are, once again, not a fan of turn based combat and thus anyone else who marginally enjoys turn based combat still is wrong. LO had a nice strong difficulty curve that reminded you that turn based combat could be challenging, a developed skill system from FFIX, level caps that diminished grinding, and a goofy ring system that at least made straight up attacking a character not be a given. "
Definitely agreed. Now that you mention it, the skill system is kind of similar to FFIX (which is one of my all time favorites). Not surprising since both were Sakaguchi games.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Randolph

I liked the combat actually.  The dramatic sweeping camera angles and greater party control are something I've missed with all these more action oriented games coming out in the genre.  Makes each major battle feel as epic as it should.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah this game was awesome, when I still owned my 360 this was probably was of my favorites.