Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Hey all, I was offered an amazing proposal from one of my friends to design some menus in his first game. I know, it will not be on the market in any for, and is a strictly for "our own enjoyment" type of project. So really, it's not going to be amazing, his words, not mine, and I took that bit of news a bit disapointing. I want this game to be amazing, and the art style was already selected by him, so I cannot deviate now. But I want this game to be big, and maybe upload it in the community games on 360. He said no, but after looking at these pics I made, hopfully it will change his mind, and maybe motivate him to make this project much bigger. I put a bunch of random game modes on the start up screen just to humor him. Tell me what you think though, before I send it to him this evening. Also, I included two versions, tell me which one you believe is better. Thanks so much, and I hope this title makes it to indie or community games (whatever they are calling it now) sometime next year. 

Btw, if you guys are wondering, it's a First person puzzle game, I have no clue what it is about, but I think it takes place in a cave....

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So I showed the design (above) to my friend, and he absolutely loved the gritty tone, but like menu of you on here, we wanted the menu to be redesigned, so that is what the pic is of below.Hope you like this one, much more simplified. 

No Caption Provided
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

Its alright but it kinda feels like a game from the 1990s. Also the writing on the menus seems funky with the intentional typos/short handedness, but I guess that can be bonus points.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

At least make the text look normal if you're gonna throw it up on a 360 o.O 
And what the heck are those pointy thingies coming out from between the diffrent menus!?  
I'm confused, I'll have nightmares now :(  
Ah, and an egg in the background?! :O dear lord, you messed up my mind! :o  

Edit: Also, I would go with the Yellow one 
Red one just looks dumb

Korosive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Korosive

Green and yellow just feels better. The option choices feel really scattered. Intentional or work in progress?

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Korosive said:
" Green and yellow just feels better. The option choices feel really scattered. Intentional or work in progress? "
Completely intentional, he told me, make it as cluttered and not understandable. Very vague guidlines, so I just took those words to heart when lettering it.

But people, these are not even real modes in the game, and probably wont even stay on the screen, and yes, this is a VERY low res picture. I will upload a good link to it after this.
Korosive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Korosive

The menu looks great, I was just wondering why they were like that. If it's the "directors" decision, so be it.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Here's the green and yellow one.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/296/4/f/Dark_cave_game_screen_by_Whywha.jpg

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Driadon
@BestUsernameEver said:
" @Korosive said:
" Green and yellow just feels better. The option choices feel really scattered. Intentional or work in progress? "
Completely intentional, he told me, make it as cluttered and not understandable. 
Problem with that is it makes it very very user unfriendly. Sure, this is a "just for fun" project, but if either of you where to do something a bit more serious, I would recommend NEVER doing that. 
As for the rest of it, the yellow one is neat. I like the filter that makes it look all scratched, it makes me think of a record cover from the 70's for some crazy out-there new age band.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Steve_C

The text is horrible. Even if you keep the positioning and such, the font itself could do with some changing. A more modern and stylish looking font style, not that any suggestions come to mind. I think the rest of it is cool though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I like everything except the text. The font, the style, the spacing...I don't really like any aspect of it.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Here's a non-final version of what I think I will do.  the text is a little blurry, but besides that, I like it.
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/296/8/7/Dark_nsan_by_Whywha.jpg

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Babble
@BestUsernameEver said:
" Here's a non-final version of what I think I will do.  the text is a little blurry, but besides that, I like it.http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/296/8/7/Dark_nsan_by_Whywha.jpg "
Better but it's a bit cluttered, wouldn't you rather just have like: Single Player, Multiplayer Options, and Leaderboards on the first menu. Then if you click Single Player you are given those options that would apply and the same with Multiplayer. Right now it just looks like too much stuff on one menu.
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Babble said:
" @BestUsernameEver said:
" Here's a non-final version of what I think I will do.  the text is a little blurry, but besides that, I like it.http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/296/8/7/Dark_nsan_by_Whywha.jpg "
Better but it's a bit cluttered, wouldn't you rather just have like: Single Player, Multiplayer Options, and Leaderboards on the first menu. Then if you click Single Player you are given those options that would apply and the same with Multiplayer. Right now it just looks like too much stuff on one menu. "
Makes sense. I will start and see how that works out.

Btw, love your avatar.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Branthog

I feel that you have talent, but that your friend is misguided and hobbling your potential to contribute. Sometimes more cow-bell is bad.