Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Destiny worth it for single player / not much time to play?

nickseifert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is there much enjoyment to be had by playing this game mostly alone and for short segments? I'm lucky these days to have more than 30 minutes to an hour for gaming. I just got an Xbox One and I'm trying to find some good stuff to play that doesn't require a lot of dedication. I'm super intrigued by Destiny, and even though it's down to 30 bucks, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Thoughts?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

For 30 bucks yeah probably. It's short on content and very reptitious but the gameplay feels great and it's incredibly well produced.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I really like Destiny, but...I'd say no. Reason being that the single-player isn't that long or memorable is any real way. The act of shooting stuff in that game is tons of fun, but if you don't plan to play the strikes and raids and all that then I couldn't really recommend a purchase. If you could see yourself also getting into the MP, then I would say it's worth it though.

nickseifert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nickseifert

I certainly wouldn't mind hopping into the traditional multiplayer stuff. Am I gonna get stomped on by people with better gear?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickseifert: Kinda? There are some modes that balance everybody in terms of damage but skills and weapon upgrades stay if you have them and the level cap is unreachable without either playing a ton of multiplayer or doing the raid.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@nickseifert: I got to the end of the game entirely in single-player and it was decent. I would've felt pretty disappointed if I had played more than, like, 20 bucks for it, but at least there's other stuff you can jump into multiplayer-wise if you feel like it.

nickseifert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I might have to bite the bullet and see this for myself.

One last question... if I buy the game used, am I going to be locked out of any content or be missing any codes required for online play?

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jadegl

30 bucks is a fair price for what the game is. I personally like it a lot, though I do have issues with some aspects of the game, the major point being the lack of content out of the box. However, I really love the feel of the gun play, the powers of the different classes are a lot of fun and the gear can be interesting and add to the gameplay (like my helmet adding distance to grenade throw and an extra shot to my super). I watched a video recently that likened Destiny to Animal Crossing, and it's not necessarily wrong, especially when you hit the end game. I pop in for about an hour a day and make progress on upgrading my gear and getting items and loot. You can play multiplayer if you want, but it's not mandatory. The co-op is super fun and I would recommend, if you can, finding good friends to play with. Even normal story missions can be more fun with a pal or two.

Overall, I think a reduced price for Destiny makes it worthwhile. I got it day one and I admit it was a bit short on content. They've tweaked things and added stuff, so it is better at this point. If you're looking just to play a really good shooter with fun abilities, then I recommend it over something like Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which came out at a similar time frame but didn't really grab me as much.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The singleplayer is pretty terrible in general, it can get entertaining later on after having played a bunch of multiplayer and accumulated enough vaguely interesting gear/exploit knowledge but by itself it isn't anything special.

Loading Video...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Corevi
    joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl said:

I watched a video recently that likened Destiny to Animal Crossing...

I'd much rather play that game. Take the hunter's super to Tom Nook and end that shit. But then, of course, your house gets filled with a ton of useless rare engrams and you have to throw out your rad sweets furniture. ;)

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just finished the story missions yesterday and I think it was worth the $35 I paid for it. It took me about 8 hours for the story stuff (if you can call it that) and then I spent another few doing patrols and strikes. I don't think I'm going to try to get any legendary gear since it seems like that would take hours of grinding the same content, but it was fun while it lasted. The shooting feels better than anything else I've played recently (Farcry 4, Halo 1-3) and the environments are varied and interesting. I wish there was more of it and that the level cap was higher, but as long as you can get it cheap it's probably worth your time.

Kaymai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i personally don't feel like its a great single player experience. the single player is basically to help you level to 20 and then the real content goes after that with building faction reps by doing bounties, strikes, and pvp. then you as you get more gear and level up you do more challenging missions that give better rewards.

reallyroshan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The game (storywise) can fall flat or just thin out if you plan on playing it exclusively for single player starting out. However if you play with friends and/or play for the purpose of collecting the best (or all) of the gear and weapons the game has to offer, and enjoy the core game play, it can have you hooked. I'm one of those people, for better or (probably) for worse.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all, it is a boring and repetitive game.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TC, go for it. People who call the sp terrible were set up by higher expectations, and I get that, but it's actually pretty good. The bottom line is the shooting is sublime and production values are off the hook. Story is pretty nonexistent if that's important to ya, but it's being augmented a little by DLC. Don't know if the $30 version available now includes the latest add-on dlc, doubt it does. But just play the vanilla and decide if you want more. Playing co-op in pve is a blast but you'll get opportunities to experience that organically and otherwise in time. I'm not a fan of the mp but some really love it so it's there if you want. Well worth the price tag imo.

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I feel like people should just wait for the inevitable Complete Edition of the game that will come with all the DLC.

But if you really want it now, I guess it's alright for that price. The game kind of lends itself alright for short burst plays (just take a mission finish it and call it a day), but if you want to get past lvl 20 you will need some more time on your hands and get to grinding.

Like other people said, don't expect an amazing story. You will play mostly because of the universe and the fact that the game looks, sounds and plays really well (imo).

reallyroshan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman: what platform are you on? If you're on Xbox One, I play Destiny regularly. :)

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman: what platform are you on? If you're on Xbox One, I play Destiny regularly. :)

Yeah, I'm on X1 for Destiny. I haven't played it in a while tbh, mostly because of D3 season 2 on pc. But add me anyway if you want. When House of Wolves drops I'll be back...and maybe before for the chance to lvl my last character.

GT=PWEID5

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.