DEVELOPER DIARY: New List Tools

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce

Exciting news, we just deployed some new list code this afternoon and added some huge new enhancements to our List system.

Creating a list:
We added a bunch of new tools to help you create and manage your lists - you can check them out if you hit this url: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/list/create/

Adding Lists To Your Blogs and Forum Posts:
The big bummer w/ lists before was that you created them and that was it. Cool if you want to manage collection, but not very social, and definitely not very easy for other people to see and talk about. So we decided to throw it into the boards via our editor. Now, all of your lists are available to embed into a Blog or Forum Post using the 'Insert' dropdown in the editor.

The My Lists Drop Down Will Let You Add Your Lists to Blogs / Forums

Ordering Your Lists: 
Probably the most requested feature by users --- and actually not to difficult to implement. You can now order your lists in 'edit mode' by either clicking the Up/Down arrows next to each list item or by using the number field in between the arrows. Oh, and when you add new items to your list, they now get appended to the bottom as opposed to injected at the top.

Sorting and Ordering Your Lists Has Never Been Easier

Comments and Recommendations:
We also added stats to your lists, so you can track how well each of them is received. You'll be able to track your most commented on lists, lists w/ the most user recommendations, etc. from your new list dashboard in your profile.

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coonce

Exciting news, we just deployed some new list code this afternoon and added some huge new enhancements to our List system.

Creating a list:
We added a bunch of new tools to help you create and manage your lists - you can check them out if you hit this url: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/list/create/

Adding Lists To Your Blogs and Forum Posts:
The big bummer w/ lists before was that you created them and that was it. Cool if you want to manage collection, but not very social, and definitely not very easy for other people to see and talk about. So we decided to throw it into the boards via our editor. Now, all of your lists are available to embed into a Blog or Forum Post using the 'Insert' dropdown in the editor.

Ordering Your Lists: 
Probably the most requested feature by users --- and actually not to difficult to implement. You can now order your lists in 'edit mode' by either clicking the Up/Down arrows next to each list item or by using the number field in between the arrows. Oh, and when you add new items to your list, they now get appended to the bottom as opposed to injected at the top.

Comments and Recommendations:
We also added stats to your lists, so you can track how well each of them is received. You'll be able to track your most commented on lists, lists w/ the most user recommendations, etc. from your new list dashboard in your profile.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Whiskey Media does it again! Looks great, and I can't wait to try it out.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Looks great. More usefulness for the list feature is always good.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Lies

Neato. Perhaps this will get me using the lists feature again. Looks slickly implemented- although you might want to do the PM thing when someone recommends a list- I can see mine have been recommended, but I haven't gotten any PMs so I don't know who recommended them. Still though, looks great.

Although whenever we get a new feature I'm sad it's not this :(

*site achieveies go here. Resizr dun like hotlinking and it's not important enough to rehost*

Any chance we'll see this stuff soon, or has it been shelved? Last we heard of it was sometime last year when I believe Jeff said it was "coming in 2009". And really, I love achievements/emblems/whatever in any form :P
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Very cool.  People will now has a far more structured way of creating a list for their "Top 10 Games of All Time" and such threads. 

My only question is where this will all fall into the spam policies for the forums.  We've seen that they can be attached there, but what's the ruling on what is and what isn't a pointless list for the forums?  The idea of these new tools is to make lists more social, but at what point are they purely spam and how are they judged? 

I'm just curious about that, as I'd really hate to see the forums spammed with lists just because people want to make lists.  Will there be a preference option added to turn lists off?

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coonce
@Lies: that stuff is coming -- its on our schedule and we should be hitting it towards the latter half of the year.... we have a clear schedule and we're systematically moving through and knocking stuff out one at a time :)
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By coonce
@jakob187 said:
"  I'm just curious about that, as I'd really hate to see the forums spammed with lists just because people want to make lists.  Will there be a preference option added to turn lists off? "
We'll see how the community uses them and if the mods need to step in, they will... and if we need to build in a tool to filter, we will.... for now, check out the tools and let us know if you find any buggers.... thx guys :)
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lies
@coonce: 

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MKHavoc
@coonce: I'm having a problem editing an old list.  For example when I go to the last item, change the number to 2 and press enter then instead of going to second place, it'll go to third.  I'm using Chrome and Windows Vista Home Premium.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

oh nice, to reorganize my lists before I used to have to delete them all and readd them in the correct order lol...

edit:  When I reorganize my list, even if it's just one move, and click save, it never stops loading and my list changes never save.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
@coonce said:
" @jakob187 said:
"  I'm just curious about that, as I'd really hate to see the forums spammed with lists just because people want to make lists.  Will there be a preference option added to turn lists off? "
We'll see how the community uses them and if the mods need to step in, they will... and if we need to build in a tool to filter, we will.... for now, check out the tools and let us know if you find any buggers.... thx guys :) "
Will do, cap'n.  Thanks for the clarification.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The List Of Things That Make Giantbomb Awesome

1. Coonce

Whaddya know, it works :D
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
@coonce:
Alright, so when you posted up a list on the forum, it came up with the (List) at the end.  Now, is that something specific for us to do, or did you simply add that at the end yourself?
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JJOR64

Sexy.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By teptom

Great news on the additions to the lists and even better news on the achievements : )

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

Ah, I see private lists are now properly private. So no longer will people be able to see this list.

Top Secret

This is a private list.

1. The Moon
One time when I looked up at the moon, it reminded me of Endogene.
2. Glitch
This is a private list. Quit looking at it.

Oh, except now. Take one last look at it, because you won't be able to see it on The Moon or Glitch pages anymore. :)
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

Hm. I'm not a fan of having lists on the right side of wiki pages where actual information about the game should go. I felt the same way about having guides listed on the right side, but I feel more strongly about this because lists are much less useful than guides. 

There's too much stuff crammed into the right side, and not much on the left to make up for it. Could we at least get the option to disable the display of lists? If I want to see lists that the game is a part of, I'll click the Lists link on the navigation bar. I'm forced to do that anyway if I want to view more than three lists.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lies
@LordAndrew said:
" Hm. I'm not a fan of having lists on the right side of wiki pages where actual information about the game should go. I felt the same way about having guides listed on the right side, but I feel more strongly about this because lists are much less useful than guides.   There's too much stuff crammed into the right side, and not much on the left to make up for it. Could we at least get the option to disable the display of lists? If I want to see lists that the game is a part of, I'll click the Lists link on the navigation bar. I'm forced to do that anyway if I want to view more than three lists. "
YOU BE QUIET ABOUT THOSE GUIDES IT GETS CLICKS. Actually the view counters on my guides are totally broken nowadays :(

I like the lists displaying on game pages- it promotes more community content and makes it easier to access. They might go better on the left side of the ppage though- there's comparitively little content over there as opposed to the right side of the page.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By snide
@Lies: Guides are next on our list of fixes. Just you wait Lies, no more dealing with that awkward table of contends anymore. Now we build the toc on the fly as you type.
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zyn

AWESOME!  Nice work!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hamz
@snide: Any chance we (general userbase, not just Mods) can have some way to remove / delete our lists? Maybe I'm missing the button somewhere, it is almost 5am afterall, but I'm not seeing a method to delete or remove a list from my profile.

Otherwise this seems like a really nice additional update to an original feature on the site.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yay, now I will have an actual reason to do lists! Thanks Whiskey Media!

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By snide
@Hamz: I accidently took the delete function out. I'll add it back in Friday morning.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hamz
@snide: Cheers matey.
fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By fillmoejoe

Cool stuff.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KamasamaK

The changes look really nice. I tried to edit one of my lists, but it stayed on the loading widget for a very long time until I finally stopped it. Using Firefox 3.5.2

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By Axersia

Is it just me or is there no option to set lists to either public or private anymore? Oh, and a delete button would be nice too. Is there any chance of having the option to delete site-generated lists like "Wishlist" and "Collection"? Many users tried those out when they first registered here but decided they didn't wanna continue using them and now they're kind of an eyesore.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By raddevon
@coonce: This is excellent! The lists are much more useable now. Since we have list ordering capabilities, could we also have a way to automatically sort lists either alphabetically or by release date? That could be handy.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By snide
@Kamasama: We're looking into the saving issue today.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LordAndrew
@Axersia said:
" Is it just me or is there no option to set lists to either public or private anymore? "
Good point. I hadn't noticed that. I mentioned earlier that the site now seems to respect the privacy settings I had set set one of my lists, but further research shows that none of my lists are showing up on their respective pages. Why do people allow me to say things that are clearly not true?

The privacy-related stuff needs to be restored, and proper measures need to be implemented to ensure that private lists are indeed kept private. Creating a private list and adding to a private list should not appear on a user's feed, and private lists should not show on an object's Lists page. And bring back the text that that indicates whether a list is public or private (only really needed for the user who created the list, since anyone else would know that it's a public list if they're looking at it) and what date the list was created (because without the date of April 1 displayed, this list just makes me look like I have poor taste).
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By coonce
@jakob187 said:
" @coonce: Alright, so when you posted up a list on the forum, it came up with the (List) at the end.  Now, is that something specific for us to do, or did you simply add that at the end yourself? "
That was just something I added myself.
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coonce
@Kamasama said:
" The changes look really nice. I tried to edit one of my lists, but it stayed on the loading widget for a very long time until I finally stopped it. Using Firefox 3.5.2 "
Which list was it? Can you try again today -- we pushed some fixes out yesterday evening. Lemme know how it goes :)
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KamasamaK
@coonce: Still doesn't work. I tested them all and it seems my Huh? list is the only one with the problem.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Good potatoes guys. The list stuff is pretty tomato.

(don't ask why I'm using vegetables to mean positive things, I don't know why)

(also, I know tomatoes are a fruit and not a vegetable)

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By snide
@Kamasama: There's a bug we're looking at where lists won't work if they've got special characters like quotes and apostrophes. Coonce is fixing this now.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#36  Edited By citizenkane

Yes!  I can now finally set the order of the items in my list!  

Awesome job, guys!  ^__^

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoelTGM

nice it works now.

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By coonce
@snide said:
" @Kamasama: We're looking into the saving issue today. "
All issues saving should be fixed and deployed across all of the sites. Please @reply to me if you still have issues. 
You may have to clear your local cache if you are having issues.... :)
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KamasamaK

Yup, it works fine now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Can't put the games in a list in ABC or By Console order? It'd help for game collections.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By damnboyadvance

Great job guys. Hopefully, we don't see people spamming with this, but the GB community is better than that!

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By fillmoejoe

So you can't make lists private now?

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kyle

Thank god. Now my ridiculous game collection list can have some order to it.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Sounds fantastic.  It's awesome to see you guys constantly improving the site.  

Is there any chance we'll be able to add specific versions of games to our lists in the future?  I'd love to be able to specify the console or edition of a game.