DEVELOPER DIARY: Social Connect Code

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce

Hey guys -- I've been a little quiet the past week or two - but that's cause we've all been so damn busy fixing bugs and building new stuff for you dudes.

By now - you should have all pretty much seen Dave's new profile and site mocks (awesome stuff - if you haven't checked them out, you can see the mocks at:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/18954/869743-profile_view.png
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/18954/869741-profile2.png

And I've been working with him to get our signup/sign on code organized so we can start to make it better, more seamless. A big part of that, is building the functionality to allow you dudes to sync your GiantBomb account to your Facebook account or your OpenSocial account -- so that we can share data back and forth between all of those accounts. Anyway, its been a bigger project and I'm currently finishing up the Facebook Connect stuff and moving on to integrating all of it into your profiles......

The game plan, and this isn't definite - is to merge my code branch into Dave's redesign branch and work together to get everything pushed out sometime in February..... again, we're still trying figure out our timelines on all this - but I just thought you dudes would be interested.

As always, hope everybody is doing well - stay classy.
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coonce

Hey guys -- I've been a little quiet the past week or two - but that's cause we've all been so damn busy fixing bugs and building new stuff for you dudes.

By now - you should have all pretty much seen Dave's new profile and site mocks (awesome stuff - if you haven't checked them out, you can see the mocks at:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/18954/869743-profile_view.png
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/18954/869741-profile2.png

And I've been working with him to get our signup/sign on code organized so we can start to make it better, more seamless. A big part of that, is building the functionality to allow you dudes to sync your GiantBomb account to your Facebook account or your OpenSocial account -- so that we can share data back and forth between all of those accounts. Anyway, its been a bigger project and I'm currently finishing up the Facebook Connect stuff and moving on to integrating all of it into your profiles......

The game plan, and this isn't definite - is to merge my code branch into Dave's redesign branch and work together to get everything pushed out sometime in February..... again, we're still trying figure out our timelines on all this - but I just thought you dudes would be interested.

As always, hope everybody is doing well - stay classy.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

Good to hear from you again coonce.  :)

I definitely like the new mock ups.  I can't wait until you guys finish whenever you guys end up finishing it(whether it be February or later).  Keep up the great work!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Looking forward to it :)

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By thebeast

Good stuff as ever Coonce - looking forward to the OpenSocial integration!

Will we be seeing stricter user account validation as a result of this?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Karmum

Can't wait for this new stuff, might motivate me to make a facebook.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Great stuff as always coonce.
Not that I'm really into social networking sites, but shouldn't you guys be doing MySpace integration? Isn't that the king of social networking sites? Or is MySpace just to crazy at this point?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_

A cool feature, but I don't necessarily want my Facebook linked to my GiantBomb account, or vice versa. I would imagine that this sentiment is rather prevalent in many users, so I don't know what functionality the feature could eventually encompass.

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coonce
TheBeast said:
"Good stuff as ever Coonce - looking forward to the OpenSocial integration!
Will we be seeing stricter user account validation as a result of this?
"
Yeah - we were kicking around that idea today --- like better email verification and so forth..... not exactly what we're gonna do on that side yet. good feedback though :)
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coonce
Jayge said:
"A cool feature, but I don't necessarily want my Facebook linked to my GiantBomb account, or vice versa. I would imagine that this sentiment is rather prevalent in many users, so I don't know what functionality the feature could eventually encompass."
yeah - again, its all optional, so if you don't want to sync ur accounts you obviously dont have to..... its mostly just to ease the signup process for new users -- so they can quickly find any FB friends on GB and pull in their FB data to pre-populate their profile, etc.... 
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

Great stuff.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_
coonce said:
"Jayge said:
"A cool feature, but I don't necessarily want my Facebook linked to my GiantBomb account, or vice versa. I would imagine that this sentiment is rather prevalent in many users, so I don't know what functionality the feature could eventually encompass."
yeah - again, its all optional, so if you don't want to sync ur accounts you obviously dont have to..... its mostly just to ease the signup process for new users -- so they can quickly find any FB friends on GB and pull in their FB data to pre-populate their profile, etc.... "
Cool. It might be beneficial to try and do that for Digg too, if that's possible.
Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Dark_Shadow

*cheers* Nice!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By brukaoru

It would be so awesome to get this pushed out by next month, but it is a quite the overhaul of the current design, so it's understandable if it takes a while longer. Keep up the awesome work guys!

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MasterSplinter

=D