Did any of you guys tell your loved ones about Ryan?

• 128 results
MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

One time my parents noticed that I looked sad and they asked why. I told them about Ryan describing it as the passing of someone who worked on a website I loved for four years just passed away in less than a week after he got married. Even though they learned that Ryan isn't a personal friend of mine, they were sorry to hear this news and they were able to understand why I was so bummed that night.

nosebleed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I told my co-worker/friend at work. I found out while on break so I feel like I needed to say it out loud. Later I told my girlfriend just to kind of put my feelings about it into perspective.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah. I told my Mother and Grandma, since I was obviously pretty down and depressed that day. They feel for me, but I don't think they really understand how I can care so much for someone I was a fan of on the internet. They've seen my Giant Bomb shirts, and that's probably the only thing they know of the site. They don't really know how much Giant Bomb has helped me get through the years, and how much that is thanks to Ryan.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By masternater27

I told my lady friend. I think she could understand intellectually if not emotionally. My brother and I talked about it a bit too since we used to share a bedroom and he had heard years of podcasting and became a fan of the site as well after I moved out.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

yeah I did.

They get it. If you describe the man it's impossible not to.

loganwtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By loganwtf

I play in a casual softball league and all of my teammates have specific batting music to pump them up. Last night as a tribute to Ryan I changed my batting music to the Giant Bombcast theme. After the game I had more than one person in the league come up and ask me if that was for Ryan, I had no idea that these people were fans but we bonded and cried and drank beer (and poured one out) and talked about Ryan and what GB has meant for us. It was was cathartic and just what I needed.

I even told my GF and she was surprisingly sympathetic. I guess she understood what it meant to me... I'm gonna have to buy her some flowers or something.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

My mother called me yesterday afternoon and though I didn't intend to tell her about it, I did. My "it's nothing mother leave me alone!" was too weak to pass her senses. I had never really spoken to anyone in my family about Giant Bomb, except when Jeff got fired maybe, but I hadn't talked to anyone about it yet, and, after all, mom's easy to talk to.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I told my wife immediately and she was shocked (her response was "but he just got married!"). While she doesn't watch GiantBomb videos on her own, she will when I am watching them from time to time and she gets a lot of exposure to the Bombcast when we're in the car. Later she also understood and was very supportive when I explained why I had been crying and that I had drank (drunk?) the rest of her wine.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60  Edited By Tofin

Didn't really talk to anyone about it because I had a feeling they'd just shrug it off. I did make a couple Facebook posts about it, though. After that, my mom and my cousin offered their condolences. They both knew how much this site means to me. Girlfriend was right on the ball though, she did her best to comfort me as soon as she found out.

@loganwtf What a great story, man.

Avatar image for wickedslapshot3
Wickedslapshot3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Wickedslapshot3

My mother was familiar with the bomb crew, she especially liked Ryan. When I told her what happened, she hugged me and said she was so sorry that I lost my friend. That meant a lot, I may not have knew him personally...but I spent enough time with him weekly to feel like he was my friend, and to have someone else notice that meant a lot.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#62  Edited By TournamentOfHate

I was alone when I found out and for a couple hours after, so I got a fair share of crying done. Then my mom called me and I guess I did a terrible job of trying to make my voice sound normal because she asked me right away what was wrong. After starting with "I don't know how to say this so it doesn't sound lame", I explained it to her, and she almost immediately started crying too. I don't think I used the word "friend" but I guess my message came across well enough because later that day when my Dad came by he said "Sorry about your friend."

@loganwtf That's an awesome story.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My family was extremely understanding of the sadness I felt. I made it very clear I had never met Ryan but emphasized how special his contributions to my life were. Didn't make them double take at all (they know how much I'm on the site) and their support has been great.

loganwtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By loganwtf

@doctorsage: thank you, and thanks for sharing your story.

@tournamentofhate you too!

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I told my mum. She's familiar with some of the crew's work, because I've showed her some of the GoTY vids (she loved the Office spoof from last year) and she understood to a point. I know that if say, one of her favourite radio hosts died, she'd be pretty upset, but I don't think any of those people are as important to her as the GB crew (who have been a huge part of my daily life since about 2005 when they were still on Gamespot) are to me. Still, it was nice to share with someone out loud and have them understand at least a bit. She mostly thought it was a huge waste for someone so funny to die so young.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By Hunter5024

I got pretty teary last night while browsing the forums, and when my brother walked in he asked me what was wrong. I told him that a friend of mine died because I couldn't think of how else to explain it. Before that I also told my two friends just cause I needed to say something about it. They could tell how tragic it was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I was crying like a little bitch when my girlfriend called, but she understood as I listened to these guys all the time, even she knew who Ryan was and was taken back by it all.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as I found out, I told my girlfriend. Otherwise no.

joseffthered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By joseffthered

I told them, but they didn't get it.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I told my brother and my parents. The easy explanation being that I've spent hundreds of hours listening to Ryan about his personal life and video games every Tuesday and most Thursdays and Fridays. It's someone that made me happy passing away, so of course I'm going to be sad about it.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Told my wife as she knew who he was and was pretty shocked, especially just after being married and going from the GB crew were saying while he was getting married, the happiest he had ever been in his life, and I guess that is just something I personally can hold on to that he was....happy..........

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My parents. They understood immediately. They had gone through the same thing before, with equivalent people-they-admired-but-never-met in their younger years.

Artikay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my wife. When I showed her his picture she said "oh no, the cute one!"

She never listened to the bombcast but she has seen him in videos and liked him. She likes quick looks the most. Shes upset especially because he just got married a week ago. She also had a co-worker pass away last week, one week before his marriage.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By Heartagram

I told my mom and dad about it because I was in a horrible mood all day and it was obvious. Also told my girlfriend because she is a big follower of the site.

xpogox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I told my girlfriend...she seemed confused why I would be sad about someone I never met. Ehh.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@rabbykayn said:

I had to share with my wife because she needed to know why I was so upset. She doesn't understand the feelings.. but at least I got to say it out loud.

Same as me, I actually broke down into tears when she tried to talk to me about it. I was holding it in all day and just let the tears role. She doesn't really understand why but understands that I'm emotional over this and that is why I love her. Ryan and the GB crew have been a big part of my life since I starting visiting, listening and watching them 2 years ago and his death felt like loosing a family member or at least a close friend. It was just the sudden lose of him that gets me the most, I've lost grandparents but that at least seems natural in context of their health. Ryan was 34, that would be like loosing my brother of the same age, just really gets to me emotionally.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#77  Edited By Brackynews

Yup, a few people. It has also been a good reason to reach out to friends out of touch. Life's too short to let someone think you don't care or forgot about them.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By Nux

I told my girlfriend and my dad. My girlfriend understands why this hurts so much but my dad doesn't really understand.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I told my husband. He's watched some quick looks with me, but he wasn't sure who Ryan was until I played some to point out his voice. He had a friend who died recently right after his wedding, so I think he was really sad about that situation.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By AiurFlux

When I was reading the article for the first time last night my wife was sitting next to me and audibly heard me just say, "Oh... shit," so she glanced over my shoulder and quickly went over the article herself. When she got to the part about him being married recently she just quietly got up, walked to the bedroom, and went to sleep. I think it actually bugged her a bit more than me just because of that. To even an outsider looking in it's heartbreakingly sad. When I went to bed a couple hours later all she said was, "I'm sorry," and then wrapped her arm around me.

I wasn't bawling my eyes out... but she knew that I naturally liked Ryan after watching me laugh at various Quick Looks or TNT's. Honestly if she didn't find out for herself I probably wouldn't have told her, and she knows that. But having her know and having her be there to lean on even though I personally didn't need it meant more than she'll ever know.

Other than that I'm not going to tell anyone. I hardly told anybody about my grandparents passing away unless they were on a need to know basis, and most people didn't need to know.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't told anyone, haven't felt the need to. I dunno, it's too weird I guess? I'm totally distraught over the death of a man I've never met, who I've followed on the internet for years, and I don't think I know anyone in person who can identify with that. That's why I'm glad I'm part of this community. You dudes are each as or more sad than I am, and this is somewhere we've all been able to share that sadness in the past two days and sort of virtually pat eachother on the back and give a 'there, there'. Because we're fucking Giant Bomb, and being a badass community that supports each other is what we god damn do.

<>

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I told my brother and my girlfriend. They both understand that it's been rough, and my gf gave me a big hug. She knows how much GB means to me. Internet friends are real.

PD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

One of my two closest friends happens to be the one who introduced me to Giant Bomb in the first place. So I was able to talk with him about it. We were both devastated. We spent a while just talking through Facebook since he lives in a different state now.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I told one of my brothers, who used to listen to the BombCast and visit the site regularly. Most of the people I know in real life wouldn't know who he was, though.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just my girlfriend who knew who he was just by osmosis of being around my obsession with the site. Anyone else and I feel would be very difficult to tell them why it means so much to me even though I never actually meet him.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I told my girlfriend, it was a surreal day.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told one of my closer friends and all I really got was a "oh that sucks" but they quickly lost interest. I guess I understand that even when I explain how large a part of my life Ryan was it still sounds dumb to the uninitiated. That more or less put me off sharing my grief with any other friends or family members. None of them would be able to see this loss as legitimate, so I've turned to the forums for my comfort, quietly sobbing in isolation.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DukesT3

Just two of my friends who come to this site regularly, not sure if as much as I do but I posted some usually RIP on my facebook page and just got likes from those two people. I'm sure other friends on my list are wondering who the fuck I'm talking about.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@starfoxa said:

I told my mom about it, as she's an incredibly empathetic person.

yea this

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By indieslaw

I tried to talk on various forms of social media, and to a couple of friends, but I just came off as the "Leave Britney Alone" guy. Or that's how I felt.

I was (and maybe am again) literally inconsolable. But then I talked to my newish relationship friend-girl, and she seemed to actually understand. Or faked it enough for me not to tell the difference. Either way, I'mma continue dating the shit out of her.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my dad. He's a huge Beatles fan, and I told him that Ryan Davis was to me what John Lennon was to him.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a major medical emergency in my family the same day that we all learned about Ryan. It felt weird to bring it up when there was a serious event happening right in front of me, so I didn't burden anybody.

Fortunately, two of my closest friends are also deeply into GB, and we are all commiserating daily.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't think anyone would care. Just knowing that all of us are in the same boat and reading all the tributes has been a huge help though.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TruthTellah

Yeah, I just told her, "Hey, you know how you've watched 'Live with Kelly and Michael' almost every day for a few years? For me, this is like if Kelly Ripa died."

She immediately understood.
She immediately understood.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jimbo

They would have looked at me like I was mental.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

No.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on the sofa with my girlfriend and she could tell something was wrong. She was very understanding, she knows how much Giant Bomb stuff I watch, even if she thinks it's dumb. She might not have immediately got it, but I think in a small way she knew what this meant to me.

She's been uncharacteristically nice to me since, it's weird...

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#99  Edited By TobbRobb

There is no point telling someone who wouldn't get it. But I know a bunch of people from the site to share the pain with and that was enough.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my wife, and naturally she had to drag it out of me how much it was actually affecting me because I tend to want to hide such things. I finally let her read my blog post about it and she almost started crying. She understands why I feel the way I do and I really do appreciate her support. But she's probably the only one I would tell as the explanation needed for other people would be such a hassle and they still probably wouldn't get it.