#1 Edited by ElixirBronze (430 posts) -

The more time I spend on the internet the more I find that, as a kid, I played a ton of games nobody seemingly ever heard of. Just looking at the wiki pages on this site I'm very underwhelmed by the lack of information on some of the most -- I guess -- "obscure" games in the database. I figured I'd maybe try to fill them out a little more but I'd like to see if there's anyone else out there recognizing these games that, all things considered, played a pretty big part in my childhood.

The ones that come to mind right now:

Bio Menace

Hocus Pocus

Mystic Towers

Vinyl Goddess from Mars (yes I played that as a kid)

Earthsiege 2

Claw

Supaplex

#2 Posted by falserelic (5445 posts) -

You must be a old school gamer. But to answer your question I never played those games.

#3 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

I've never even heard of any of those games.

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

I was gonna sarcastically say that "nobody else in this world has played those game". However... It may actually be true this time.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -
@Sackmanjones Wait!! I'll eat my words! At least 1 other person has played claw. And that would be me.
#6 Edited by doosmacleod (189 posts) -

HOCUS.

POCUS.

YES.

HELL YES.

Man. I am nostalgia'ing so hard right now.

Edit: Also after looking at those pictures, I forgot how tiny my monitor was back in the 90s. I remember playing that game full screen, and it being ... roughly that big. Technology is a miracle.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I still have Hocus Pocus somewhere.

#8 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

I loved me some Hocus Pocus as a kid.

#9 Edited by Barrabas (326 posts) -

I played a ton of BioMenace and Hocus Pocus as a kid. I remember BioMenace being super violent compared to most other games I owned at the time. My early childhood PC gaming consisted of mostly Apogee games. Other than those two I remember a lot of Halloween Harry, Jill of the Jungle, Crystal Caves, and Monster Bash among various others.

#10 Posted by ElixirBronze (430 posts) -

I'm mostly surprised Mystic Towers hasn't got more attention, I actually loved that game as a kid.

And yeah, Hocus Pocus was fun, I remember searching for those crystals too well.

#11 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -

I played through Claw a few years back (like 2009), and i really liked it.

#12 Posted by IMMAGONNALICKU (7 posts) -
#13 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Hocus Pocus bitches!

#14 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

Hocus Pocus and Mystic Towers. Hell yes!

#15 Edited by Yummylee (21767 posts) -
#16 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

those are some obscure early 90s pc games you've got there

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11990 posts) -

I remember enjoying BioMenace and Hocus Pocus. Mystic Towers is terrifying and confusing D: I can't remember if I've actually played Vinyl Goddess or not (I think I may be getting confused with Jill of the Jungle). I definitely haven't played the last 2 though.

#18 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Hocus Pocus, BioMenance and Mystic Towers are the ones I've played on that list. Even today Mystic Towers is actually a good looking game.

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

#20 Posted by ElixirBronze (430 posts) -

Just remembered today that I also played a game called Supaplex

Which apparently is a clone of an older, presumably more well known game called Boulder Dash

#21 Posted by Icemo (643 posts) -

I haven't played any of those games you listed, but I played a lot of Tunneler and Scorched Earth as a kid.

Those were the good times...

#22 Posted by predator (352 posts) -

I can say for sure I've played Hocus Pocus, Mystic Towers and Earthsiege 2 out of those.

#23 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I think I remember the Bio Menace art from a cheat code book or something. I bought a shareware version of Mystic Towers, played Hocus Pocus at a friend's house and got a demo of Claw from a PC magazine.

What a blast from the past. I'm looking through my meager 3.5" floppy collection, a whole bunch of shareware. Wolfenstein 3D, Mystic Towers, Blake Stone 3D, Fuzzy's World, BC Racers.. oh man.

#24 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Jrinswand said:

#25 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (436 posts) -

@david1890: Bio Menace was the bomb and sheesh yeah I had Hocus Pocus! Is there anywhere to get these games anymore?

I recently picked up the Commander Keen pack on Steam and was hit with some serious nostalgia.

#26 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I looked and found my floppy of Hocus Pocus.

#27 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

What about Mega Lo Mania?

#28 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -
@david1890 dude. Earth Siege 2 was AWESOME.

Or at least my memories of it are.
#29 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Hocus Pocus and Supaplex are great.

#30 Posted by Svenzon (720 posts) -

@david1890 said:

Bio Menace

Hocus Pocus

Mystic Towers

Earthsiege 2

Claw

Played these! You know, I was actually thinking about Mystic Towers the other day when discussing a video game-themed Halloween party with some friends. We talked about how there's at least 5 people who'll dress up as Mario and that a few of us should dress up as characters from obscure shareware games. Baron Baldric from that game is what came to my mind.

#31 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

I've played both Bio Menace and Supaplex but had totally forgotten about it until just now when I saw the screenshots.

#32 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

God bless the old days of shareware.

Yes. A thousand times yes.

#33 Posted by ElixirBronze (430 posts) -

@GloriousDinosaur: Commander Keen 4 was my absolute favourite game as kid, I even play it today from time to time. Apogee is actually today's 3D Realms and Hocus Pocus and Mystic Tower (among others) is actually still available on their site http://www.3drealms.com/games.html

Cant say I agree with the prices they charge though.

#34 Edited by WildFloyd (127 posts) -

@Barrabas said:

I played a ton of BioMenace and Hocus Pocus as a kid. I remember BioMenace being super violent compared to most other games I owned at the time. My early childhood PC gaming consisted of mostly Apogee games. Other than those two I remember a lot of Halloween Harry, Jill of the Jungle, Crystal Caves, and Monster Bash among various others.

Wow yeah I played a lot of that same stuff when I was a kid. I seem to remeber having a lot of Apogee stuff, along with the ID stuff I used to play like comander keen 1-4 and heretic, hexen, doom etc. The origional duke nukem's (pre 3D) were also some of my favorites. I had monkey island and day of the tenticle and that sort of stuff but I think I was too young to be into those.

Hearing games like hocus pocus and monster bash again has got me remebering this troll game I used to have on DOS that no one seems to have added to the site.

EDIT: Just added it

Such an assault on the ears and eyes

#35 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

I can honestly say no and as a child i had an amiga and an amstrad with a bunch of games, i played some obscure titles but none of these ring a bell

#36 Edited by BeachThunder (11990 posts) -

@WildFloyd: Wait, is that the same game as this?

@david1890: Well, they're roughly the same price GOG would charge if they were available there...

#37 Edited by WildFloyd (127 posts) -

@BeachThunder: I was wondering that, but unless the PC version was drastically different to the other versions, I think the screenshots on that page might be of the wrong game.

These are the kinds of videos that come up when looking for the treasure island one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEiget6Mza8

But the screenshots on that page seem to be of the one I used to play which is by a different developer as far as i can tell.

This is critical work, I cannot stress how important it is that we keep the DOS troll games in order!

#38 Posted by BeachThunder (11990 posts) -

@WildFloyd: Well, the page does list PC as one of the platforms.

#39 Edited by Maginnovision (487 posts) -

I tried all of those games. As far as apogee went I mainly played monster bash and jill of the jungle though Oh I also played cosmos cosmic adventure, even though I was terrible at it.. I also played mechwarrior, not earthsiege. Also played raptor, which is my favorite game from those days even though it was a little easy. Basically I played all that older stuff since it all had shareware, but only bought(well, or copied) raptor, jill of the jungle, monster bash, and cosmos cosmic adventure.

#40 Posted by Max422 (32 posts) -

It's the first time I ever heard of these games. :O

#41 Posted by NathHaw (2789 posts) -

@david1890 said:

Just remembered today that I also played a game called Supaplex

Which apparently is a clone of an older, presumably more well known game called Boulder Dash

Now you're speaking my language.

#42 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Earthsiege 2 is awesome.

#43 Posted by Timing (620 posts) -

Yeah I played Bio Menace, Hocus Pocus and Claw. That Trolls game also. I actually looked up Claw fairly recently. That's still a really good looking game, I should play it again sometime.

Now my question is, did anyone else play Dig It?

#44 Posted by Raven10 (1807 posts) -

I might have played Earthsiege 2. Sounds very familiar. Other than that I haven't played any of them or heard of most of them.

#45 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Oh yeah, I loved Hocus Pocus, and I played Mystic towers, but I was really bad at them cause I was a little kid.

#46 Edited by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -