#1 Posted by vegetashonor (590 posts) -

Every major gaming publication had SOMETHING about Ryan Davis, but I failed to see anything on their site about it. I know that GiantBomb and RoosterTeeth had a bit of a rivalry behind the scenes, but is that cause to just ignore the passing of one of the indestries greats??? Especially since everyone else had something to say! Tell me I just missed it, because if not, then I can't and won't respect that.

Thanks duders.

#2 Posted by TurboMan (7503 posts) -

As somebody who knows nothing about RoosterTeeth, I don't think there's any sort of rivalry out of them. GB has just been doing their own thing from what I can tell.

#3 Posted by FinalDasa (1614 posts) -

They aren't required to speak out. Everyone reacts differently. For some people doing some work makes you feel better. You can't judge someone else's grieving or reaction to death just because there is an absence of reaction.

Moderator Online
#4 Edited by clstirens (847 posts) -

@vegetashonor: Neither Joystiq, nor Destructoid had anything about Ryan Davis either.

I doubt it's any sort of disrespect, just a lack of knowledge. Most of them might have barely known, or never known him.

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

You can't act like everyone has to make a big post about it. Thats a bit much.

Saying something is of course appreciated, but you shouldn't hold it against them. Thats irrational.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@clstirens: Destructoid absolutely had something. I believe Joystiq did too but I saw a post from Destructoid on twitter linking to their obituary.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

I don't think The Escapist had anything about him yesterday either. The Giantbomb guys know a lot of people but they don't know everyone.

#8 Posted by Sen0r_Awes0me (97 posts) -

Many people felt compelled to say something just in response to this outpouring and many of those folks admitted they didn't feel they had much to publicly add on the subject. Grief and sympathy manifest in many ways. Maybe they'll comment, maybe they'll just think on it.

#9 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -
#10 Posted by goldfishking (10 posts) -

@turboman said:

As somebody who knows nothing about RoosterTeeth, I don't think there's any sort of rivalry out of them. GB has just been doing their own thing from what I can tell.

#11 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

It's a YouTube channel, so who cares. The people that matter and care have spoken out and that's more than enough. To a lot of GB fans he's an extremely important person but to the rest of the world it was just some guy that talked about video games.

#12 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@clstirens: Joystiq and destructoid both posted articles about it.

#13 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1106 posts) -

@clstirens: Joystiq was the first, actually. Mere minutes after Rorie broke the news here, Joystiq had an article up.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/08/giant-bombs-ryan-davis-passes-away-at-34/

It is not the place for me to say what a site should put up for content. If they felt that Ryan's passing was not worth putting up anything about it, then so be it.

I do respect places like IGN for putting the news front and center on a front page of a website that gets millions of views a day, especially when Greg Miller wrote a wonderfully personal piece about his feelings about Ryan.

#14 Edited by clstirens (847 posts) -

@clstirens: Joystiq and destructoid both posted articles about it.

Oh, they did? I looked but couldn't find them.

#15 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

Spent a bit of time there and there much more focused on RT then they are games in general. I was surprised to not see any mention on the forums but at the same time not really.

#16 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@clstirens: They're not on the front pages of either anymore, but yeah they both posted short articles.

#17 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

Wait. Giantbomb has a rivalry with roosterteeth? Why?

#18 Posted by kkotd (296 posts) -

Not a whole lot of people made a fuss when Knuckles was found dead, so idk... It's not expected and the way their community reacts sometimes, I wouldn't blame them for not posting an article. Their vocal minority seem to flip out when ANYTHING is posted that doesn't directly relate to their site or community.

#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

You might be overreacting.

#20 Posted by Ett (194 posts) -

Please delete this thread not good can come from it.

#21 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1106 posts) -

@joeybagad0nutz: Rooster Teeth made a couple cracks to the crew when they topped the video game podcast chart. Jeff's response during one of the PAX East panels was incredible. "Oh, you mean www.youtube.com/machinima?" Yes, he spelled out the URL just like that.

Rooster Teeth is independent now, so the joke falls a little flat.

#22 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

/shrug. The Drunk Tank is only really funny anymore on the rare occasion that Burnie, Gus & Gav are on together. I get that they're this huge thing now, but they've kind of gotten so far up their own asses (RvB, especially) that I've stopped following their stuff.

#23 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

You can't act like everyone has to make a big post about it. Thats a bit much.

Saying something is of course appreciated, but you shouldn't hold it against them. Thats irrational.

I honestly thought there were WAY more sites posting stuff about him, christian science monitor even payed respects, it boggles my mind how big of an influence he had.

#24 Posted by UchihaMatt (18 posts) -

They may have something to say on their next podcast, who knows? It's not entirely necessary for them to write something up.

#25 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4950 posts) -

I am a fan of Rooster Teeth and they have never acknowledged Giant Bomb. There is no rivalry.

This post is HOT GARBAGE

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Watch the video @goldfishking: linked. I'm pretty sure that's what they're referring to. It was only passing jabs at most.

#27 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (500 posts) -

I'm indifferent to RoosterTeeth as a whole but I do enjoy a lot of what Achievement Hunter puts out (even if they do think Deadpool is good).

#28 Posted by Moth_Pope (454 posts) -

@goldfishking: Ended up watching the rest of the video from that point. Ryan and Jeff's chemistry is unmatched :(

#29 Edited by Abendlaender (2787 posts) -

Didn't a RoosterTeeth guy also just die some weeks ago?

#30 Posted by mlarrabee (2924 posts) -

@goldfishking said:

@turboman said:

This is as deep as the "rivalry" went. While Jeff was making a joke, I think he doesn't actually know who the RT guys are. And on the RT podcast shortly after the podcast contest took place, Geoff Ramsey, one of the RT employees, referred to Jeff as "one of those guys from Gamespot."

Their spheres of the web are pretty divergent despite their video game cores.

#31 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@abendlaender: Yep. And GB said nothing about it.

Eurogamer also said nothing on Ryans death.

Sometimes you forget but people aren't the centre of the universe. Death happens.

#32 Posted by vegetashonor (590 posts) -

@clonedzero: the only reason I asked specifically about RT is because there WAS a small thing going on. That's all

#33 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4196 posts) -
#34 Posted by LJO1989 (44 posts) -

It is a tiny bit odd with pretty much every well known game personality has made a comment on Ryans passing but not a single mention from a single member of RT even in passing on twitter

#35 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

Even Buckner&Garcia had something up on their page yesterday.