Did i miss something regarding my premium membership?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Mister_V

I do kinda miss it when they don't do a live thing on Fridays. However! was it ever said that there will always be a live show on Fridays? And yeah that screenshot above saying exclusive premium stuff everyday bums me out as I don't think that's ever been the case.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Canteu

@Animasta: Silver > Gold. We pay more than you :D

I don't use twitter, and why should I. Inform me of the service i pay for, through the medium i recieve said service, not some unrelated third party application.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By murisan

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

@MikkaQ said:

I don't get the people saying they shouldn't need to follow the staff on twitter or tumblr to stay current. . Like come on welcome to 5 years ago, this is how the internet works now. I don't believe that you care enough to pay 60 a year but not enough to check twitter once or twice a week, that doesn't add up.

I don't use Twitter. GASP. I don't see the point of it. I subscribe to GiantBomb.com, not to twitter.com/jeffgerstmann (and all of the rest of the crew) or whatever his username is there

you can, even though you are not a twitter user, STILL GO to jeff's twitter and see if there is a reason why the content is slow if you care THAT much.

Gee, really? The point isn't that I CAN, the point is that, well, he didn't say anything about it on Twitter. He posted it as a response on his Tumblr, which I didn't even know existed until someone posted it here.

The point is communication should be a bit better regarding content/the lack thereof.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By warxsnake

I usually dont whine about this stuff since its just $50 a year, I love GB but if I really had to crit or give feedback; a lot of "good" users on youtube pump way more content than GB, and they don't have the backing of a giant like CBS, just youtube $ from subs.  
I also find that sometimes, people like TB or Angry Joe (or even that crazy Swede Robbaz for christs sake) will do a little more research into their quicklooks than GB. I've seen that happen plenty of times this year in QLs where GB doesn't know half of the gameplay design or they comment on things that are just plain false. (quick example would be Guild wars 2 QL). 
I wouldn't have pointed this out if it wasn't for Jeff on the bombcast making fun of youtube casters asking users to subscribe all the time.. at least they put out.  

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Ben_H
@Animasta said:

I love how, whenever there's a slow week, people create threads about it. Like come on guys sometimes there are slow weeks get over it gosh

Yup. 

Also, the idea of that CryBlock thing is intriguing.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By Animasta

@murisan said:

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

@MikkaQ said:

I don't get the people saying they shouldn't need to follow the staff on twitter or tumblr to stay current. . Like come on welcome to 5 years ago, this is how the internet works now. I don't believe that you care enough to pay 60 a year but not enough to check twitter once or twice a week, that doesn't add up.

I don't use Twitter. GASP. I don't see the point of it. I subscribe to GiantBomb.com, not to twitter.com/jeffgerstmann (and all of the rest of the crew) or whatever his username is there

you can, even though you are not a twitter user, STILL GO to jeff's twitter and see if there is a reason why the content is slow if you care THAT much.

Gee, really? The point isn't that I CAN, the point is that, well, he didn't say anything about it on Twitter. He posted it as a response on his Tumblr, which I didn't even know existed until someone posted it here.

The point is communication should be a bit better regarding content/the lack thereof.

and I think the fact that there wasn't a whole lot of content in a single week is kind of a flimsy excuse for making this thread, but what do I know?

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By StingerMK2

entitlement is fun! go outside or something, you pay $50 a year, I don't think that quite adds up to being entertained 24/7. if what they do isn't enough for you stop paying, or visit other sites, it's as easy as that, but please, enough with these threads.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By murisan

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

@MikkaQ said:

and I think the fact that there wasn't a whole lot of content in a single week is kind of a flimsy excuse for making this thread, but what do I know?

Well, you should know that I didn't make the thread, and that I'm simply offering my own opinion. Like you are. Discussion, hooray.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Animasta

@murisan said:

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

@MikkaQ said:

Well, you should know that I didn't make the thread, and that I'm simply offering my own opinion. Like you are. Discussion, hooray.

if the OP knew shit was broke he would still have made this thread though.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By murisan

Eh, I rescind my criticisms of this week. There were five Quicklooks and a premium video. I suppose I wasn't interested in most of the QL's, hence it seemed a bit crappy compared to normal. There've been far worse times.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Animasta

@Canteu: you sure burned me. and, let's say, there was no excuse; would you have made the thread? they just said "yeah it was a slow week"?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Gaff

If this is any indication, the forums are going to be a shitstorm when the guys are on their Christmas / New Year break.

Unless they make an announcement on the site, of course.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ripelivejam

hey guys imagine if like 80% of the stuff here was locked behind a paywall? they could very well do that and maybe many of you would feel your subs were more justified, but instead they provide a ton of shit for everyone. personally i feel that's pretty downright generous of them, and i like to support that. maybe it's their fault for not making enough of it premium i suppose. kind of makes it feel that much more arbitrary. i know when i actually get a premium membership when money isn't so tight i'll just feel like i'm contributing to the site as a whole.

i guess the move to cbsi is a source for a lot of the bitching, that maybe they don't feel like they need to shill themselves out as much cause they probably have better financial backing now and don't need to worry about it, but maybe it'll also mark the end of their subscription service. i know i'm just a lowly non-subscriber though, so what do i know? :D

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Animasta

@Canteu: you literally said in your first post that using jar time as the premium content was unacceptable. That's literally what you said. So no, I am not a cunt (nice misogyny by the way), I am just someone who thinks people should stop whining about a single week without any premium content "they deem acceptable".

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By murisan

@Gaff said:

If this is any indication, the forums are going to be a shitstorm when the guys are on their Christmas / New Year break. Unless they make an announcement on the site, of course.

Well, the GOTY stuff is always like 12 hours worth of content. Plus, I totally get vacation time for holidays. I hope most other people do as well.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By murisan

@Canteu said:

@Animasta: Well i'm sorry i expect something from a website and people I adore. I guess I should just accept everything I'm given and never want for more.

Calling you a cunt is hardly Misogyny. You should probably find out what that word means.

You act a cunt quite often to be fair. You seem to enjoy it.

Careful. You're gonna get a warning from a mod if you keep being antagonistic. Internet forums.. srsbsns.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ripelivejam

that is a pretty derogatory word for a specific piece of female anatomy, so yeh it's kinda misogynistic even if it's been coopted like the word "gay."

but enough semantics.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PulledaBrad

@Canteu said:

@Animasta: I'm not trying to burn you. You just seem to think you know me somehow. You do not. Acting like a cunt is not a good way to do that either.

Note my last post, I said I wouldn't give a fuck if I knew. I didn't say if they had an excuse.

Making excuses and not having a reason are two different things.

If there was a thing on the site that said "hey, jar time this week, thats it" Then great. Fine. I know not to expect anything.

You mean a tool like this?

No Caption Provided
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ripelivejam

thread is now about crashmo.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By ki11tank

quick looks and bomcast are easily worth $50/year, just to support them.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By M_Shini

I enjoyed jar time and even if it is just recorded cuz they could't think of something else i enjoyed it so got my moneys worth i suppose.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#72  Edited By JasonR86

@Canteu said:

@murisan: I'm out anyway. White knights make it seem like I hate this website and the content they provide. Not like I pay them money and am constantly on their website or anything.

Dude, don't start a discussion and then get upset when some members think differently then you. Plus you had several members who agreed with you. So chill.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By murisan

@Canteu said:

@murisan: I'm out anyway. White knights make it seem like I hate this website and the content they provide. Not like I pay them money and am constantly on their website or anything.

I get it. But remember when they switched to CBSi? THAT was really thin times. I do think it's up to the customers to sort of remind the crew that this is a job sometimes, and I think the fanboyism backfires HARD unless it's nearly universal belief (again, back when they were transitioning - well, past the transition and into the time when they were "trying to get equipment"), but I think threads like this are important from time to time. Just be careful about going hard against other people.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ripelivejam

pretty sure we get more out of a membership here than we would with xbox live gold [/zing]

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Animasta

@Canteu said:

@Animasta: Well i'm sorry i expect something from a website and people I adore. I guess I should just accept everything I'm given and never want for more.

Calling you a cunt is hardly Misogyny. You should probably find out what that word means.

You act a cunt quite often to be fair. You seem to enjoy it.

(in america it is and I am american and thus ti is misogyny)

also you are being an asshole way more than I am right now just saying, I just pointed out the hypocrisy with your two posts.

(I don't watch jar time either but whatever I get that some weeks are slow)

I mean COME ON it was one week. christ

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By murisan

@ripelivejam said:

pretty sure we get more out of a membership here than we would with xbox live gold [/zing]

Definitely true. But, out of curiosity, why are you not a member? When did you decide to stop, or were you ever? Truly just curious.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Canteu

@JasonR86: @murisan: Yeah ok. I guess it's just him. He bugs me often with the words that he types.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#78  Edited By fodigga

They haven't had Friday weekly subscriber content for a long time, so I don't know where you've been.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Animasta

@Canteu said:

@JasonR86: @murisan: Yeah ok. I guess it's just him. He bugs me often with the words that he types.

call me an asshole then, I agree with that statement, just saying that cunt is a derogatory word for a woman's vagina and thus is misogynistic.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#80  Edited By Grillbar

@Canteu said:

@Grillbar: Paying customers aren't allowed to complain for non receipt of goods? Pretty sure that's what the business consumer relationship is all about.

yes but your not a paying costumer, your just supporting them, and still you got 2 jar time in November it has just been thanksgiving and December is just beginning which means a ton of work playing games for the end of the year awards need to be done. there have been a ton of live steaming with the wii u coming out.

and lastly and most importantly there have just been so many posts from user who have bought a subscription thinking they can demand everything from a small staff of people, and as soon as they dont live up to the expectation of producing awesome content that they have for just one week they scream and yell like small children claiming they have been cheated out of content they they think they deserve.

but yes you have the right to complain

or maybe we are customers and therefore can demand them to produce premium content on specific days everytime no matter what and when the content starts to lack due to them obeying to what ever we say doing a endurance run constantly, a breaking brad, thang and so on we can start to complain again.

its fine if your disappointed, but you can complain and demand goods and calling yourself a playing customer

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Canteu

@Grillbar: Sorry but, I'm paying a company money with the expectation of receipt of service. This constitutes a paying customer. If I received no content for being a premium member i would not pay them. I am not a supporter. I am a paying customer.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CaLe

Why do some people not watch the Jar Time? It's probably the most interesting paid content imo. Jeff knows his shit.

I guess I have no right to ask this considering I didn't (and don't really plan to) watch the Persona 4 Endurance Run which everyone else seems to have.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By wjb

I wondered how many people would lose their shit expecting an Endurance Run during the holidays like last year. Doesn't seem like there will be one anytime soon.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84  Edited By Sooty

Premium content has never been that worthwhile. You're paying for let's plays when it comes down to it. (that's what load our last save and the other stuff essentially was)

I'm definitely not going to be renewing, I got this sub at half price and still kind of regret it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#85  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Canteu said:

@Grillbar: Sorry but, I'm paying a company money with the expectation of receipt of service. This constitutes a paying customer. If I received no content for being a premium member i would not pay them. I am not a supporter. I am a paying customer.

Premium video isn't a dedicated product, although there was a very short time over at Whiskey Media where it was one and you would get premium content between Tested, Screened, and Giant Bomb every day. That page may not have been updated, and yeah, that would make that a false promise that should be edited. But Giant Bomb never offered a personal promise of Friday premium content and livestreams. Premium content is very much just an irregular "bonus" and has pretty much always been that way, excluding the two or three weeks that WM actually managed to put out some premium content every day (actually, there might have been two periods like that; Bricked was premium before the WM split, right?)

The premium membership provides the "regular service" of HD video, the ability to download and embiggen video, and an ad-free site. The premium audio/video content is a bonus. If you're not satisfied, then don't pay it.

Personally, though, I won't be surprised if someday the best way to monetize GB ends up just turning the full site premium. Ad revenue is gonna continue to decrease as more and more people get comfortable with adblockers, and it's just gonna become the most sensible way to run this kind of site.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By abendlaender

@Canteu said:

Erm, Jar Time? Like it or not, it still is premium content.

I mean I get your complaint but....they DID post premium content this week. Just because Jar Time is not normaly on friday doesn't mean it somehow doesn't count as premium content, right?

buttmonk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By buttmonk3y

Yeah its been a slow week but im not fussed. I pay my yearly subs to support the site and the goofy stuff i get as a premium member is a bonus.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Canteu

@Little_Socrates: Why should I not pay if I'm not satisfied. Instead, how about the service provider improves their service to keep my money?

Common business practice.

EX: If my crappy ISP keeps being crappy, I tell them I'm taking my money elsewhere, so they start being less crappy, by improving their service, reducing cost or offering a deal.

edit: @Abendlaender: At this stage i am speaking generally. Not specifically about this week.

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#89  Edited By BrockSampson

I think there is a disconnect between what people think they deserve. I think there is a big difference in paying for a service rather then paying to support a service. With Giantbomb, when you pay that subscription fee you are directly supporting their ability to do the wild crazy shit they do for the vast majority of the year. Of course in order to get people to sign up they lined up some specific content that is a bonus to what we already have.

On the other hand I do think they guys have sometimes oversold what you get as a sponsor. Once there is an expectation of content there will always be people who will make post about lack of content. Guess its just kind of how it is.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Canteu: The threat only works if you actually take your money elsewhere. You're also not telling the service provider anything, you're just whining on their forums that they don't really have time to read. If you DM Jeff or Dave and let them know you're not satisfied and intend to spend your money elsewhere, that's another story. You can try to contact them directly, but put your money where your mouth is if you're not satisfied. That's the best way to enact a change, if you think it's necessary.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#91  Edited By Brendan

Yeah, Giantbomb really needs a business oriented person on the team to keep them on track. I think they all mean well, but Jeff for example seems disorganized as fuck, and at some point in your life you either need to get past that or pay someone to do it for you. I'm not as demanding but I understand why others would be. At the end of the day this is a business after all.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By flasaltine

They are still settling in to the new office. Right? Does that one work anymore?

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By LiquidS

I'm so disappointed I might not renew my membership for a third time... oh wait... nvm...

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Canteu

@Little_Socrates: But as you well know, on the podcast where they discussed editorial ethics, they said themselves "take us as we are or leave it". If I were to do that they would say "OKAY BYE! We still have all these other people paying us! You shan't be missed!".

So no, that would not be the best way to enact a change with the clear attitude they have.

Change is good. And so is working for your customers.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Blastroid said:

@murisan said:

@Blastroid said:

No ads

If that was all I wanted, I'd just turn on adblockplus.

Do they make cryblock?

Seriously. Talk about a fucking non-issue. You pay $50 a year (more accurately $35) for thousands of hours of video.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick people are entitled shits these days.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By abendlaender

@Canteu said:

@Little_Socrates: Why should I not pay if I'm not satisfied. Instead, how about the service provider improves their service to keep my money?

Common business practice.

EX: If my crappy ISP keeps being crappy, I tell them I'm taking my money elsewhere, so they start being less crappy, by improving their service, reducing cost or offering a deal.

edit: @Abendlaender: At this stage i am speaking generally. Not specifically about this week.

Oh okay. I don't really care so I don't now, but what do they actually advertise? Premium Content every friday?

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Canteu: But complaining on the forums isn't the way to bring about change, actual action or conversation is. Again, you know they don't really participate in the forums (or read them, for the most part.) Jeff obviously does engage with the community in other places, including the Jar Time videos and his tumblr. Why complain here, where they've never really listened much before?

Also, if you think enough people are satisfied that they wouldn't notice a drop in numbers based on the "lack of content" lately, maybe they're doing okay and you're just a bit more...discerning?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Canteu

@Rolyatkcinmai: Consider this. I'm not complaining that there's no content because they're lazy or don't try or don't care or whatever the imaginary reason.

Perhaps i'm complaining because I love the content so much that I'm sad when they don't give me enough of it, and all I want is for them to make top quality content that I can enjoy.

I don't want more because I'm entitled. I want more because I want more because I love it.

I see nothing wrong with wanting more from people I love.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#99  Edited By Blastroid

@Ben_H said:

@Animasta said:

I love how, whenever there's a slow week, people create threads about it. Like come on guys sometimes there are slow weeks get over it gosh

Yup. Also, the idea of that CryBlock thing is intriguing.

Just finished version .01 of CryBot Chrome Extension:

http://dev101.info/crybot/crybot.zip

It does have a side effect when enabled to not allow quote/replying to a forum message as it alters the text on the page. Just for fun so enable it, test it, then disable it.

All you have to do is unzip the folder somewhere and in Chrome - Tools - Extension - Developer Mode - Load the unpacked extension - then refresh this post.

What it does: Replace crying text with [Replaced by CRYBOT] in red. You can mouse over the text to see what it replaced. Only created short list as this is the first every extension I have ever coded.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Grillbar

@Canteu said:

well i guess this is a difference of opinion. they allways said that you supported them in doing stupid shenanigans.

and i see a playing customer as someone who either buy or is renting an item or service be is physical or digital.

supporting is giving them money to do either what ever they want to do, are doing, or they say they are going to do. if they dont live up to your expectation you can end your support but not demand changes to happen to cater your demands

but again a difference of opinion, and i would like to add that im saying this in a calmly manor, and as part of a discussion.

reason i state this is pretty much everything i read what i write i feel like im sounding like an bitching, complaining, arrogant, self indulging asshole

but lets leave it at that unless you want the final word i will ofc let that happen.