#1 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (115 posts) -

I need help! I just thought that I would clean all my NES games I don't have any rubbing alchol I just used some Windex and now whenever I put in a game it doesn't show the red light to indicate its on. I bought the games a while ago and I bought the NES yesterday. Please tell me if there's anything I can do to fix it.

#2 Posted by cheapandtacky (130 posts) -

Try giving the copper connectors a good scrub, If Windex is what I think it is there's a good chance it may have corroded them.

#3 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

Whenever you use chemicals you should always first try it on one thing and make sure it works.

#4 Posted by RVonE (4700 posts) -

Oh man, that sounds fucked.

#5 Posted by Abendlaender (2888 posts) -

Man, you should have really tried that stuff on one game first. That sounds bad.

#6 Posted by meatdimensionfighter (43 posts) -

WIndex has ammonia in it that creates a patina on copper

#7 Edited by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

Don't use anything with water in it on chips. They might still work but never use windex or anything with water ever again, alcohol is used for a reason. Try to put them in a dry area and hope they work after all the water is gone. Try cleaning with alcohol after that.

#8 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

After a quick Google search I've found that Windex contains ammonia which may corrode copper, although I don't know if it would really be strong enough to break your pins just like that. I'm assuming you checked the games and NES worked before you started cleaning stuff, if not, this is likely part of an unrelated issue, and even if you did, this could still be something else entirely, but try to clean off those connecting pins again with something different, and if possible see if you can get a NES cart that you know is working from elsewhere to test in your machine. As others have said, in the future make you test this kind of thing on a single cart before doing it to all your games.

#9 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

After a quick Google search I've found that Windex contains ammonia which may corrode copper, although I don't know if it would really be strong enough to break your pins just like that. I'm assuming you checked the games and NES worked before you started cleaning stuff, if not, this is likely part of an unrelated issue, and even if you did, this could still be something else entirely, but try to clean off those connecting pins again with something different, and if possible see if you can get a NES cart that you know is working from elsewhere to test in your machine. As others have said, in the future make you test this kind of thing on a single cart before doing it to all your games.

@MonkeyMitcho:

Maybe try and rub those pins again but this time with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. Maybe you can still salvage the carts.

#10 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

You should of watched some NurdRage videos before cleaning your games with ammonia lol

#11 Posted by CoverlessTech (749 posts) -

The light should turn on even if no game is in it. Sounds like the NES is busted, not just the games.

#12 Posted by Winsord (1301 posts) -

Did you make sure your NES worked before cleaning those contacts? The light sounds more like a NES issue than a cart issue. You shouldn't have used Windex to clean the contacts, but I'd be really surprised if that was able to entirely corrode and ruin the contacts that quickly (maybe if you had soaked the carts in Windex for like, a day). I'd say check to make sure you're actually getting power through your power adapter, you could try a multimeter on the end that connects to the console (while the power adapter's plugged into the wall), if you've got one.

#13 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Luckily thanks to Ryan's ebay antics, you can probably replace a lot of the collection that's not repairable cheap. Agreed with others, next time try just cleaning one, play it then do the rest.

#14 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

@Winsord said:

Did you make sure your NES worked before cleaning those contacts? The light sounds more like a NES issue than a cart issue. You shouldn't have used Windex to clean the contacts, but I'd be really surprised if that was able to entirely corrode and ruin the contacts that quickly (maybe if you had soaked the carts in Windex for like, a day). I'd say check to make sure you're actually getting power through your power adapter, you could try a multimeter on the end that connects to the console (while the power adapter's plugged into the wall), if you've got one.

That's true. I thought my old busted ass NES no longer worked until a couple months ago. I bought a lot of Genesis games and a console. Some crazy old lady must have packed it because there was a bunch of other random crap in there including a Nintendo adapter. I figured what the hell and tried it on my old NES and sure enough it booted up. So yeah, could also be a dead adapter too.

#15 Posted by Tackchevy (266 posts) -

Never fear! NES games and consoles are built like cockroaches.

No red light means that the console is getting no power. You need to test your outlet with another device. If that is delivering power correctly, then test the adapter plug on a second NES console if you are so blessed.... In any case, either the adapter plug or the internal powering of the console is jacked. It's okay if one of those isn't working; they're 30 years old.

While the windex likely needs to be removed from your copper connectors regardless, you'll likely need to either get another plug or another console. There are plenty of them out there on the cheap.